PDA

View Full Version : DTivo Power Supply Schematic *PROJECT*

1dave1
01-23-2003, 07:26 PM
I have started working on a schematic diagram for the DTivo power supplies.
This is the first half of the power supply, I need someone to read the values of the componets and update the diagram. My eyesight is just too bad.

I am now starting on the second half of the power supply.

Hopefully when I am done someone can go thru a good power supply in a operating tivo and get some voltage readings and cross reference some of the parts.

I am working on this in Microsoft Visio
I am good at most everything, but this power supply sucks!

I am attaching the following files:
Viso file and a JPG image

This visio Image is zipped

1dave1
01-23-2003, 07:30 PM
here the are in RAR

Please rename the extension from .BMP to .RAR

1dave1
01-23-2003, 10:14 PM
Heres part 2 it is NOT complete.

If theres ANYONE out here whom could help out on this project I would be sincerely greatfull.

I am starting to believe after hours of probing and tracing that the switching board is the main part that is failing on these power supplies and not allowing the DTivo to start.

I have ordered a SA tivo power supply from allelectronics.com I believe that these switching control boards are the same on both power supplies. If so then for about $5 and unsoldering 9 pins these power suppies can be repaired.

homeytc
01-25-2003, 08:41 AM
Thanks for you work on this problem, I too have a power supply that is DOA, I'm unsure but either the hard drive took out the power supply or the power supply took out the hard drive but both are dead. I have ordered the power supply that you mentioned in your last thread. If you have not ordered it hold on and I'll let you know if it has the correct board on it. I'm on the East Coast so it will take about 5 days to get it as it is coming from Ca. though you may still want to order as you might be closer. I just thought I would try to say you the $10.95 for it. $6.00 for shipping, I'm in the wrong business. Hopefully this will have the board that we need, I'll let you know

1dave1
01-25-2003, 04:41 PM
Thanks, I ordered one last week too. There probably isnt much wrong with these failing DTivo supplies. I am sure that tivo bidded these out to the lowest bidder and thats what the result was, a low cost cheap power supply.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
The pwr supply for the SA Tivos can be modified to work on a DTivo. The biggest difference is the lack of a 24vdc .8Amp output for the DTivo's LNB and the DTivo needs 30vdc instead of the 32vdc output by the SA pwr supply.

Heres the specs on both.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
DTivo Pwr Supply # UPS61-1005-T

V1 ------- 3.3vdc @ 4 Amps
V2 ------- 5 vdc @ 2 Amps
V3 ------- 12vdc @ 3 Amps
V4 ------- 24vdc @ .8 Amps LNB Pwr
V5 ------- 30vdc @ 5 ma Satellite Tuner Pwr
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

SA Tivo Pwr Supply # UPS61-1004-T
V2 ------- 5vdc @ 2 Amps
V4 ------- 32vdc @ 5ma

I wont know more til I get it, but I believe it can be made to work. Rework the power input to the supply, add a small circuit board to filter and regulate a 24vdc source for the LNB and configure a way to connect the replacement supply to the DTivo. At only $5 for this supply it wouldnt be a bad last resort. Even if it was placed into an external case and install a plug on the rear of the DTivo to "plug in" the modified pwr supply. It would also reduce a little heat with the pwr supply being external.

? Anyone know why a switching pwr supply is really required?

Anyone have any thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions? Comments?

BubbleLamp
01-25-2003, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by 1dave1

Heres the specs on both.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
DTivo Pwr Supply # UPS61-1005-T

V2 ------- 5 vdc @ 2 Amps
V4 ------- 24vdc @ .8 Amps
V5 ------- 30vdc @ 5 ma

SA Tivo Pwr Supply # UPS61-1004-T
V2 ------- 5vdc @ 2 Amps
V4 ------- 32vdc @ 5ma

? Anyone know why a switching pwr supply is really required?

Anyone have any thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions? Comments?

Switching is usually due to space, and/or heat I think. A well regulated supply should be all that's needed.

The V4 rating of .8A on the DTivo supply could explain a lot of the 1 of 2 working LNB issues. What's the 30V/32V used for?

Good job Dave.

1dave1
01-27-2003, 01:00 PM
So I should be able to Mod a SA Tivo Power Supply will no problem..... I will let everyone know the results.

zabs
01-27-2003, 01:25 PM
Awesome. Definately keep us posted. I haven't had any power problems yet, but its good to know that I might be able to buy a couple of 10$ SA power supplies and mod them instead of looking at 150$ for a Dtivo power supply.

unvj
01-28-2003, 10:23 PM
Good work Dave!!

I've been waiting for someone to look into this, I am not electrically inclined. I have a dsr6K that has a fried power supply (cap is leaking) so I'll try and call Autec with the info from the other thread. Keep us posted, I'll probably need another PS and solution would be cheaper.

homeytc
01-30-2003, 08:04 PM
Dave, the SA power supply came in last night, and guess what the switching board looks almost identical. Today I removed the one from my DSR6K and removed the one from the SA power supply and installed onto my DSR6K supply and now it is working great.
I did check with Leon at Autec and they do have power supplies for $59.72 but then they want to hit you with the $25.00 handling fee as well as shipping. Luckly enough I was able to repair mine with the SA power supply for only $10.50

unvj
01-30-2003, 10:36 PM
homeytc,

could you explain how you did this?

homeytc
01-31-2003, 06:32 AM
unvj, This requires the use of a soldering iron and solder sucker. Unsolder the the switching board #553-1467 from the DSR6K power supply and remove. Do the same from the SA power supply. Install the Switching board from the SA power supply to the DSR6K power supply, resolder the pins and power up, check for voltage and your done. On your DSR6K power supply before you do this check if you can hear a lite clicking noise coming from your orginial power supply switching board, if you don't then most likely replacing this board will correct your problem, at least it corrected mine. Thanks to 1Dave1's work on this problem I now have a working power supply saving me about $90.00

1dave1
01-31-2003, 08:26 AM
I am glad to hear that! Thats exactly what I was going to do, but I am still awaiting the SA supply from all electronics.

homeytc:
What about the yellow transformer? are they the same? I believe one of mine has a bad transformer. The other is a bad switching control board.:D :D

homeytc
01-31-2003, 08:17 PM
Dave, I did not look directly at the transformer that you mentioned, but from what I saw all parts on the SA power supply will interchange with the DSR6K.
And from what Autec told me they are the same power supply other then the size and shape, and the SA does not have the small ribbon cable connector. Though you have shown that there is a difference in the output voltages on the SA. But like I said from what I saw everything looks to be the same even the caps and transistors. Not bad for $10.50 and all the spare parts you need. I have called Autec and canceled my DSR6K power supply I ordered the other day.

dwellar
02-02-2003, 10:31 PM
RE: 30 volts to the tuners

SAT-T60

When I lost both odd and even transponders in both tuners,
the only area of the board I could detect was fixed was the
30V line. My problem was NOT associated with the tuner LNB
switchers (each tuner has one of these chips). When I got
my unit repaired, neither of these two chips were changed.

So, based on my experience, the 30V is used in the transponder
circuit. According to the T60 schematic, the 30V is common to
both tuners. If something goes wrong with the 30V, then
both tuners should show approximately the very same
symptom. That was exactly what happened to my unit.

Neutronflux
02-23-2003, 01:51 PM
Hey Dave - amazingly good work on the power supply problem. I'm intrigued as to the relation of the power supply to the faulty SAT inputs [1 or 2 or both]. I have a Sat-T60 with a dead duck 2ndary tuner -- thing never worked. Do you think that a tuner replacement would be a solution - if so, how viable is this for someone with little expertise in electronics - but a stable hand for soldering [and good eyes]?

Even if I replace my 2nd tuner, odds are whatever caused the old tuner to fail is still present - if this cause is rooted in the power supply... then changing it might be a really good idea.

1dave1
02-24-2003, 08:32 PM
Not sure, You could have had an LNB problem that caused it. If "I" had a junk unit to remove a tuner from "I" would give it a try. Look over the schematics closely before attempting. This will give you a better understanding and you might spot or probe with a meter to find the problem. I would probe and check voltages before removing the tuner.

AlphaWolf
02-24-2003, 09:27 PM
curious...I wonder if the S2 tuners are compatible with S1 units?

mrblack51
02-24-2003, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by AlphaWolf
curious...I wonder if the S2 tuners are compatible with S1 units?

nope. s2 tuners are implemented via discrete components like the UTV, not the cartridge style ones as in the s1 units.

Danier
03-01-2003, 01:12 AM
I have a post in the regular forum but perhaps someone here can assist. Long story short my T60 power supply is now outputting about 11.5v at max pot settings. The unit will not boot now that the voltage is that low. I need to get it fixed and would prefer to do so cheaply. Any recommendations on which parts to start with and if this might be the switching board on the power supply?

unvj
03-09-2003, 01:02 PM
Need help getting PS out of my dsr6000. I removed screws but something is holding it in. Thanks in advance.

mrblack51
03-09-2003, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by unvj
Need help getting PS out of my dsr6000. I removed screws but something is holding it in. Thanks in advance.

there are little metal tabs in slots that are bent. straighten them, and it will come out

surgeon
03-15-2003, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by Danier
I have a post in the regular forum but perhaps someone here can assist. Long story short my T60 power supply is now outputting about 11.5v at max pot settings. The unit will not boot now that the voltage is that low. I need to get it fixed and would prefer to do so cheaply. Any recommendations on which parts to start with and if this might be the switching board on the power supply?

If you read back a few messages you will find that problems with a lot of dtivo's power supplies are located on the complex vertical "control" pcb. They also state that this "control" pcb can be sucessfully replaced with the one from an SA unit power supply.

A new, complete, SA power supply can be purchased for only $4.50 + shipping from www.allelectronics.com (part# ps-70).

-Surgeon-

unvj
03-17-2003, 11:18 PM
I am changing the big cap on the dsr6k and need to verify that the neg. terminal is facing inboard (I know I should have remembered). Got my SA, I am replacing cap that is leaking and the switching board. Thanks.

Danier
03-26-2003, 06:52 PM
So I have in hand one dead T60 power supply and one new PS-70 supply from allelectronics. I am looking at what I believe to be the control board and the part numbers are different and the shape is different but the pins where it connects to the board are the same. Is this the normal situation? The t60 board is taller and less wide then the SA board. Before I do this can someone fill me in if I am looking at the right stuff.

Danier
04-01-2003, 02:29 PM
nevermind my last post - I just yanked them apart and replaced the board on the directivo. Works perfectly, thanks for the info.

merushn
04-08-2003, 12:40 PM
Thanks to all this fixed my dead T60. I am one happy Simms

PlackSlayer
04-17-2003, 09:41 PM
So can we do a full overview of all the interesting things that have been said here? I would love this to become a HowTo.

Questions still slightly muddy in my hyead...
1) The SA TiVo power supply from allelectronics is all you need to fix all of these things?
a) The Switcher part #
b) The Capaciters
c) The vertical PCB controller board

2) This is a solution to the transponders 1-5 working and the rest not?
2.5) If this doesn't fix this, have we found a solution to replacing the sat-in devices?

Thanks,
--Plack Slayer

PlackSlayer
04-20-2003, 10:23 PM
So I just got my powersupply out and I'm wondering exactly WHICH part is the part I need to replace (switching circuit).

A pic would be nice. I will edit in the picture I believe to be the part when I get it hosted somewhere.

Thanks,
--Plack

PlackSlayer
04-21-2003, 10:17 PM
http://plackslayer.freewebspace.com/

This is my pic of the switching board - Is this the correct part to replace?

Thanks,
--Plack Slayer

yellaboyla
04-22-2003, 08:09 AM
Yea Plack, that's it............

PlackSlayer
04-24-2003, 03:21 PM
Well - I did the replacement successfully and it is still doing the same thing. Guess that wasn't the problem. Time to try everything else again or ebay it.

Grrr.

--Plack

yellaboyla
04-24-2003, 03:50 PM
Hey Plack, drop me an email

Bink
05-07-2003, 10:30 PM
Hi there,

Hopefully someone can help me with my problem.

I was in the process of installing a TurboNet card to my DSR6000 and everything was going fine. I made a call using the net card before putting the case back on, but when I replaced the case - the box was dead :( The hard drive isn't powering up and no light at the front at all.

There is a slight clicking sound from the power supply part so I searched around until I found this thread. Thinking that I had found the cause - the vertical control board - I ordered a new power supply from allelectronics and replaced it.

Now my soldering skills aren't the best but I got it installed and guess what the clicking is still there.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks

PlackSlayer
05-08-2003, 02:58 PM
I replaced mine as well (the little circuit board) and It hasn't fixed my problem. I am having trouble still with my tuners and getting above a certian transponder (the number changes over time). Sometimes I can get all the way to transponder 18 before it gets flakey so I'm thinking its another part of my PS. I'm going to take it to my lab today and check my henries and farads :)

I'll keep ya updated.

--Plack

rpl
05-18-2003, 10:52 AM
I just bought a DSR6000 off of Ebay and after installing 2.5.2 I found the second tuner had a temp related problem and I need to replace the LNB Supply Voltage regulator. ST part number LNBP15SP . Does anybody know where I can order one of these chips, or does anybody have a unit they are parting out?
Thanks

PlackSlayer
05-18-2003, 11:54 AM
If that part is in the LNB wouldn't it be easier to just get another LNB as they are only like 12-15 bucks off ebay I believe...

Just curious.

--Plack

PlackSlayer
05-18-2003, 12:01 PM
Don't know what the conversion rate is, can't speak rushin and don't know if they ship anywhere but there...

BUT

This looks like they sell them.

http://www.platan.ru/cgi-bin/ddqweryv.pl/8w100272.html

--Plack

rpl
05-18-2003, 12:20 PM
The chip is in the TIVO next to the tuners. Now if somebody could just interpret the russian for me??

I was searching all over the internet yesterday but only came up with one vendor and they looked like a wholesale dealer, so I doubt they would just sell me one.

SR712
05-18-2003, 03:43 PM
Why don't you call ST themselves, and ask where you can purchase one? They have the spec sheet online here. (http://us.st.com/stonline/books/pdf/docs/5816.pdf) Alternately, you could call truettelectronics.com and ask if they would either sell you one, or fix your board for you.

cali
05-21-2003, 08:38 PM
call sony!

rpl
05-21-2003, 10:05 PM
I'll try calling Sony tomorrow. I tried ST and their distributors, but two of them would not sell to individuals and another would only sell in a lot of 1000. Also tried www.hrent.com, summitelectronics, and 1sourcecomponents.

rpl
05-22-2003, 07:23 PM
I think. Just discovered the Series 1 schematic for the Sony T-60 on this forum. Got the Sony part number. Did a Goggle search and just ordered via the web the voltage regulator I needed. At least I hope so. Will know next week when it is delivered.

Brand Part Number Description Price Qty. Total
Sony 988501891 IC LNB VOLTAGE REGULATOR $9.18 2 $18.36

Keeping my fingers crossed that they don't come back and tell me its not available.

Thanks all for your help

SR712
05-22-2003, 07:54 PM
Where was this, rpl?

rpl
05-22-2003, 11:46 PM
http://www.partsolver.com/

PlackSlayer
05-23-2003, 03:05 AM
Keep us up to date as if that works to fix your tuners, then maybe thats my problem...

--Plack

nitrous
06-13-2003, 07:49 AM
Partsolver is sure pricey.
$800 for a new motherboard. Sony has a replacement program for a lot cheaper than that!
n|trous

nitrous
06-16-2003, 05:28 PM
For what it is worth, I reseated my powersupply to motherboard connector and a previously flakey HDVR2 has become stable.

Anyone have any suggestions where to get replacements for these ribbon cables?

n|trous