PDA

View Full Version : Home Media Option only for Series 2?

ruckus
01-24-2003, 12:43 PM
Any idea why this is only for Series 2 receivers? Is it due to the slower processor?

I have to say I'm a little disappointed it's not going to be made available to those with Series 1.

old7
01-24-2003, 01:46 PM
It is only speculation, but yes the processor looks like a reason. The other reason is that on a stock series 1 there is no network connection or USB port. Can't support software for sharing if you can't share. I'm confident that once the software is released there will be some sort of mod for series1 Tivos.

Old7

gregggreg
01-24-2003, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by old7
It is only speculation, but yes the processor looks like a reason. The other reason is that on a stock series 1 there is no network connection or USB port. Can't support software for sharing if you can't share. I'm confident that once the software is released there will be some sort of mod for series1 Tivos.

Old7

I wouldn't be so confident. From the sounds of it, the sharing stuff is going to use public/private key encryption/digital signatures to ensure that Tivos only share their video with other Tivos. From what I've gathered from reading these forums is that the Series 2's have a public key (and possibly private) on some chip. I'm not sure that the Series 1's do.

Plus, the whole point of this exercise presumably is to make sure the Tivos don't pass the video to other devices that aren't locked down under Tivo control (i.e. your desktop computer where you can turn around and make the video available on Kazaa or whatever). The Series 1's are definitely not locked down.