PDA

View Full Version : DVD Menu apps are where?

blax
01-24-2003, 02:17 PM
I am using captain_video's IFOedit method to create DVD's and it works great, no problems. After IFOedit is done I drop all the files into nero and burn them. My problem is if I want to have more than one show on a DVD with a menu. I have nero vision and basically if you tell it to use VOB files it still wants to transcode them which screws them all up. I also have sonicdvd which dosen't accept vob files. Is there a program that will allow me to build a simple menu, telling it which vob files to include? Does IFOedit do this and I'm just not seeing how?

TIA
Blax

captain_video
01-24-2003, 05:41 PM
Thanks for the kudos but I can't take the credit for anything involving IFOEdit. In fact, I was an IFOEdit basher for quite a while. I only posted an alternative to using SpruceUp for burning DVDs when someone posted a question. If you want to include menus in your DVD project, use the SpruceUp method. SpruceUp is a basic but fairly complete authoring tool for creating DVDs.

1) Extract and split tystream using tytool.

2) Patch 1st header of m2v file to 720X480 using DVD Patcher.

3) Import m2v file into SpruceUp and let it "crash".

4) Repatch the header to 480X480.

5) Re-import m2v file into SpruceUp. Add backgrounds, buttons, and text to create a menu.

6) Select clip properties and add chapter stops.

7) Associate menu button with chapter stop created at beginning of movie or show.

8) Simulate playback and make necessary corrections.

9) Select Export and save project. Write project to a title set and burn with Nero when compilation completed.

This procedure has been posted probably dozens of times so you should be able to find a more detailed version. I may break down and put together a set of How Tos for burning DVDs using the various methods introduced in this forum. BTW, the programs required for the above procedure can be downloaded from links provided in the DirecTV Tivo Hacking forum, How Tos Only sticky thread on page 3.

n2gadgts
02-05-2003, 04:12 PM
I've been reading for the last 2 weeks or so and I've done a few DVD burns.

I've used a couple of different methods to do this. Using TyToolV5r2 to extract and split and then mplex to get a MPG. My authoring software SonicDVD takes the MPG and converts it but I am only able to get about an hours worth of video on 1 DVD using this method without any chapter points.

I'm going to try this method out but I've got 1 quick question and it may present itself once I get it up and going. But where does the m2a file from vsplit get introduced in the procedure you outlined above?

Thanks for all your work!

Hobby
02-05-2003, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by n2gadgts
I've been reading for the last 2 weeks or so and I've done a few DVD burns.

I've used a couple of different methods to do this. Using TyToolV5r2 to extract and split and then mplex to get a MPG. My authoring software SonicDVD takes the MPG and converts it but I am only able to get about an hours worth of video on 1 DVD using this method without any chapter points.

I'm going to try this method out but I've got 1 quick question and it may present itself once I get it up and going. But where does the m2a file from vsplit get introduced in the procedure you outlined above?

Thanks for all your work!

n2gadgts

SpruceUp knows which m2a file to associate with the m2v file. When the m2v file is imported it also brings the m2a file with it.

So in short - import the m2v and don't worry about the m2a. Also, if you're in doubt, simply go to the editing window of SpruceUp and play the imported m2v to verify that the correct m2a has been inported as well.

--Hobby--

captain_video
02-05-2003, 05:27 PM
The m2a file is introduced automatically right after the m2v file gets processed. I'm able to get a little over 3 hours of video on a 4.7GB DVD-R or -RW disc by not muxing the m2v and m2a files and importing them straight into SpruceUp. The only reason you would ever need to multiplex your m2a and m2v files is to perform an editing function. Otherwise you are going through an unnecessary process that may involve transcoding the file to a different resolution, possibly resulting in a larger file and/or loss of image quality. The moral to this story is if it ain't broke, don't fix it. IFOEdit is fine if you just want to dump a show to a DVD. SpruceUp just adds a few bells and whistles to the mix. DVD Maestro is a more refined package but most people won't need the extra features it provides since it is actually a professional DVD authoring tool.