PDA

View Full Version : avidemux - a kickass video editor for linux

grytpype
01-26-2003, 09:22 AM
Just had to start a new thread for avidemux, there's a reference to it buried in the tydemux thread, but it warrants its own thread.

It's for Linux, and don't be fooled by the name, it does a whole bunch of stuff. I'm using it to edit commercials out of VCD-encoded mpgs, but it seems to do much, much more than that, so check it out. Homepage is

here (http://fixounet.free.fr/avidemux/) , if you're using Debian you can get it by putting the following line in your /etc/apt/sources.list:
deb http://marillat.free.fr/ unstable main
(and that repository has a lot of other cool stuff too, like mplayer binaries and codecs).

Also search for avidemux in this forum to see the original post about it, which has more useful info. Hope all you Linux users find this helpful!

NutMonkey
02-06-2003, 04:32 AM
This does seem like a very handy application. Unfortunately I tried it with several streams and it was not able to open them. I'd get the "This looks like mpeg, you should index it" message, and when I click "ok" it says "Problem opening that file!"

Are you by chance using a DirecTivo, or has anyone used avidemux with a DirecTivo stream?

logicTrAp
02-08-2003, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by NutMonkey
[B'd get the "This looks like mpeg, you should index it" message, and when I click "ok" it says "Problem opening that file!"[/B]
I'm using an SA TiVo, but get the same error. I haven't played with it much yet, but under "Misc" there is an option to index an MPEG file, that might help?

IndieRockSteve
02-09-2003, 04:32 PM
Awesome! I've been looking for something to replace GOPchop in linux. I'll play around with this and then add info to my TivoLinux page.

grytpype- if you have any info on using it, I'd appreciate any help putting together a page on my site about it. My email is in my profile here. thanks!

Originally posted by grytpype
Just had to start a new thread for avidemux, there's a reference to it buried in the tydemux thread, but it warrants its own thread.

It's for Linux, and don't be fooled by the name, it does a whole bunch of stuff. I'm using it to edit commercials out of VCD-encoded mpgs, but it seems to do much, much more than that, so check it out. Homepage is

IndieRockSteve
02-10-2003, 04:30 AM
Ok, I've been trying to use this and I can't get it to do anything useful AND save as an mpeg2 file suitable for a SVCD.

any help?

NutMonkey
02-10-2003, 09:45 PM
In answer to the problem I was having, the author posted the following on their forum (paraphrased from two different posts):

Replace
#define MG_CACHE 30

by
#define MG_CACHE 70

in ADM_mpeg2dec/ADM_mpegscan.h and it will work

Your file contains Gop with size up to 55

Two ways to fix it :
- wait for the new editor to be ready (it will be able to handle b-frame), and will be not limited by gop size
- upgrade MG_CACHE to 70 (or more)

I will not do the second as for DVD stream it would mean allocating 80 megabytes of RAM

But you can do it