ElHoudini
01-28-2003, 02:51 PM
I just got going on this. Here is what I did:

1. Installed turbonet card in my Philips DSR 6K
2. Xtreme'd it
3. Added 2.52 upgrade with hacks and xPusz utility
4. I activated telnet, ftp, noscramble, tivoweb using xPlusz
5. Hooked it up to my LAN with DHCP server

Had a few problems downloading .ty files using tivoweb. I kept getting files with 0 bytes. (blank files)

Thanks to "VCD_Junkie" I got this fix:

1. Download MfsStreamWeb98b
2. Copy mfs_stream and tyhttpd to /tivoweb-tcl (overwriting if/when prompted); then chmod 755 tyhttpd mfs_stream
3. Copy the contents of the modules folder to /tivoweb-tcl/modules (overwriting if/when prompted)
4. Edit the file /tivoweb-tcl/modules/mfsstream.cfg to have the path point to /tivoweb-tcl
5. Reboot and download ty streams.

Downloading works now but my speed is 13kb/second.
I am downloading to a P3 laptop 700mhz 192mb w/W98

Any ideas why it is so slow?

Thanks alot in advance

PSUtivo
01-28-2003, 03:48 PM
I had a similar problem after doing a winxp reinstall. I was only able to extract at 10 - 20 KB/s. The drivers for the ethernet card I was using to run dhcp on defaulted to 10 mb/s half duplex. After I switched it up to 100 mb/s full duplex I was able to extract at around 1 MB/s.

Hope this helps.

rpongett
01-28-2003, 08:55 PM
I'm setting up a wireless home LAN now. I currently have two tivos on my old wired LAN with regular turbonet cards and Cat 5 cables going to a cheapy Linksys hub.

I'm upgrading to Wireless-G standard (Linksys, not yet final) and wondering -- for the Tivos -- if I should try to switch to Airnets, or just use a standard wireless Ethernet bridge with short Cat 5 cables to the turbonets that are already installed.

BubbleLamp
01-28-2003, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by rpongett
I'm setting up a wireless home LAN now. I currently have two tivos on my old wired LAN with regular turbonet cards and Cat 5 cables going to a cheapy Linksys hub.

I'm upgrading to Wireless-G standard (Linksys, not yet final) and wondering -- for the Tivos -- if I should try to switch to Airnets, or just use a standard wireless Ethernet bridge with short Cat 5 cables to the turbonets that are already installed.

IMHO anyone putting a wireless card inside a closed Tivo shouldn't expect anything but crappy performance. Leave the Turbonets in place, so you can go back to hardwired when you get disappointed by the wireless throughput.

rpongett
01-28-2003, 10:50 PM
Thanks. I think I'm going that direction, if not just to keep me from going through the hassle of pulling apart my Tivo, and possibly having to go through pulling out the HDs again, to get it to work.

Hope: If I end up getting a fractino of the supposed 54Mbps the G-Standard is supposed to bring, it shouldn't slow me down on extraction (which is currently about 1.3 MBps for me).

ElHoudini
01-29-2003, 12:25 AM
PSUTivo,

I tried that and it worked. Thanks alot. I am getting 1.5MB/sec.
I am happy now.

Thanks

jaja
02-03-2003, 02:11 PM
What exactly did you do to get your speed back? I need the "step-by-step" not something vague like "... switched it up to 100 mb/s full duplex ...".

I've been slow for two months (1 mb/s) and no one here seems to be able to figure it out or troubleshoot. TiVo's gettin' pretty full.

Generiq
02-03-2003, 02:33 PM
1MB/s seems typical on Turbonet from the posts I've seen.

jaja
02-03-2003, 04:23 PM
I got my terminology mixed up. Thebottom line is that my TiVo is about 20 times slower than before.

El Houdini, I'd like like to know how you resolved/troubleshot your issue. I need specifics.

BubbleLamp
02-03-2003, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by jaja
I got my terminology mixed up. Thebottom line is that my TiVo is about 20 times slower than before.

El Houdini, I'd like like to know how you resolved/troubleshot your issue. I need specifics.

Your Tivo isn't 20 times slower, your networking is. Did you go into the Network Settings and confirm the NIC is set for 100MBs/Full Duplex? (Do NOT set it to full duplex unless you have a switch!!!)

jaja
02-03-2003, 08:22 PM
Well, I changed the NIC duplex setting from "Auto" to "Full 100" and my TiVo stream transfer seems to be even slower.

When clicking on "Refresh" I got the following:

Total Size = 5789kbytes in 7.377000 seconds...

About 10 minutes ago, I started downloading a 30 minute episode of Seinfeld. The message at the bottom of TyTool says:

looping total = 8 mbytes (248 seconds)

BubbleLamp
02-03-2003, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by jaja
Well, I changed the NIC duplex setting from "Auto" to "Full 100" and my TiVo stream transfer seems to be even slower.

When clicking on "Refresh" I got the following:

About 10 minutes ago, I started downloading a 30 minute episode of Seinfeld. The message at the bottom of TyTool says:

You are using a Linksys router. Unless it has a switch built in, not a hub, you cannot use full duplex. What do the router specs say about the built in ports?

DMAC15
03-26-2006, 10:05 AM
Did you ever figure out what the problem was? I am having a similar issue. Thanks!

jerrytbirdsc
05-25-2006, 02:51 AM
In the Tytool preferences under network, make sure it's set to single socket mode.