PDA

View Full Version : Size of Extraction and recording to a single DVD-R

chris_tivo
01-30-2003, 04:53 AM
Hi

Just a quick question.

I've got extraction working fine and I can burn to DVD okay, but I could do with some advise about extraction.

At the moment I'm extracting files I realise I don't actually know how big the different recording styles extract to. It looks like best quality is nearly the same size as standard DVD (about 1 hour per DVD-R). Does anyone have any sort of calculation based on each recording mode.

Assuming I want to fit a 2hr movie on one DVD-R what would be the best recording setting to use and is it worth using variable bit rate. I also assume from reading the threads that I can change the bit rate of each recording mode in tivoweb, is it worth messing around with these settings?

I gather for the best quality it is best to recode in TmpGemp or something similar, but as it seems to take a long time to do this I would rather keep it simple if possible.

Thanks

captain_video
01-30-2003, 10:31 AM
That all depends on what kind of Tivo you're using for recording. SA Tivos can be set to vary the recording quality, but at fixed bitrates. DirecTivos record at variable bitrates, but at a fixed resolution, and the programs broadcast by DTV can vary in size due to the amount of compression used. A 1/2-hour episiode of Seinfeld can be as little as 450MB on one channel and as high as 850 MB on a different channel for the exact same episode. As a rule, you can generally fit a little more than 3 hours of programming recorded via a DTivo onto a DVD-R. I can't help you on the SA Tivo numbers.

chris_tivo
01-30-2003, 01:28 PM
I have a UK tivo, which I gather is a series 1 (what does SA mean anyway). From what I remember there is a setting in the 2.5 software on the tivo to record in variable, but being new to extraction I have not had chance to look at the size of recordings in any depth. I just wondered if anyone else had to save me some time. :)

FreydNot
01-31-2003, 05:22 AM
If you are working with an SA (stand alone tivo), I suggest you re-encode the video if you have the time. The SA does a pretty poor job at making small files (since it has to do its job in real time). I have found CinemaCraft Encoder (often refered to as CCE) will do an excellent job getting high quality output at a fraction of the file size.

Here is an example of what I am doing...

My subject is a 1 hour broadcast of Cirque Du Soliel "Nouvelle Experience" from Bravo. The extracted ty file (1 hour) was 2589 Megs in length. My post processed, re-encoded file is 850 Megs (780 video, 70 audio).

Now, the origional file is 60 minutes long, and the edited file is down to 44 minutes (with commrecials removed). I am also applying some smoothing to the video to make it more compressable.

The bottom line is I end up with a file that is completely DVD compliant (720x480 video / 48k audio) and is a good amount smaller then the origional.

I suggest reading the CCE how-to over at doom9.org for more info on re-encoding mpeg.