PDA

View Full Version : Looking for DVD authoring methods

captain_video
01-30-2003, 11:09 PM
I'm going to try and put together a How-To or a FAQ that addresses the many different methods for extracting, splitting, and authoring DVDs so they can all be assembled in one place. There have been numerous requests for such a document so I figured I'd go ahead and tackle it. I will address several different methods using SpruceUp and IFOEdit.

I'll also try and include some modified tutorials for using the various programs required. I'm familiar with all of the basic ones like Tytool, DVD Patcher, tydemux, SpruceUp, and several others. I think some basic tutorials on TMPGEnc, bbMPEG, BeSweet, and any other programs for muxing, editing, or similar chores would also be desirable.

Since I'm not an expert on all of these programs and know just enough about some of them to hose up a DVD project really well, perhaps I can solicit some of the more knowledgeable members for some input in these areas. Keep in mind that a lot of us may not be as familiar with these programs as you are so try and identify every option, menu, and button-click required to get the job done.

I guess the best course of action would be simply to post the instructions in this thread and I'll try and get it upgraded to a sticky if it looks worthwhile. If your instructions are lengthy or perhaps you'd like to include some screen shots or other graphics, you might want to put it together using Word or other word processor and simply post it as a downloadable test file.

If you've got a method that you prefer, how about sharing it with the rest of us. Check any previous posts to make sure we don't clutter up the thread with a lot of redundant posts, as I'm sure a lot of you use the same procedures for DVD authoring. You might also want to consider including the type of media and burner you use as a measure of compatiblity. Don't forget to include your DVD player model as well.

If any of you are proficient in making SVCDs or VCDs, there seems to be a lot of interest in this area as well. I think any method that will allow us to extract tystreams and archive them to any disc format will be of great use.

FredThompson
01-31-2003, 03:02 AM
You'll save a huge amount of time and frustration if you link to howtos that already exist. doom9 and VCDHelp come to mind.

Uh...I was thinking about basic howto, not TiVo-specific stuff.

For example, you could spend huge amounts of time creating a howto about XML and how to use it to make SVCD menus. Probably better to link to VCDEasy and leave it at that...

Having said that, look at the links page mentioned in my sig. You'll find a lot of help there. The general A/V one will be updated in the next few days. I've got another 40-50 sites to evaluate/update before the new revision is posted.

FredThompson
01-31-2003, 07:00 AM
How 'bout a reply to the reply?

I was chasing down links for DoItFast4U! when I found this gem:

http://dvdguides.trilight.net/

Menu Creation and TiVo to DVDR guides.

This is a VERY good site.

That's an understatement.

captain_video
01-31-2003, 08:17 AM
Fred,

Nice link. Good for a start. I do intend to add links for the other tutorials that already exist at sites like Doom9 and fukrulez.com. I already have links to them in the How Tos sticky but it's amazing how many people post here without bothering to read them, probably because it's now in a separate forum.

What I'm trying to do is consolidate all of the various methods that members keep coming up with for making DVDs and SVCDs. The sites you mentioned are not Tivo specific. I'm trying to create procedures that ARE Tivo specific. The procedures have probably already been posted in various threads but they're scattered all over the place. I'd like to get them together in one location so everyone can find them easily.

FredThompson
01-31-2003, 03:35 PM
Ah, I gotcha.

Maybe you'd want to have one or two "strongly suggested" methods as a way to help people choose the most efficient/powerful.

Thing is, if there's an infinite number of paths to the same goal and there's an attemp to document all of them...

You're absolutely correct about the how-to threads. They're becomming behemoths of unconnected information.

Have you considered a "master" thread, meaning, one that only certain moderators can update? That might cut down on the clutter and remove old info/redundancies. It's also more work...

Please let me know if you need ANY background info. I've been sorting/evaluating reference sites for many moons now and have a slew of good contacts. The lists I maintain are getting large, maybe too large. The trick is finding the pearls.

I was also wondering about a "mods" forum, given the amount of that info that's showing up lately.

Fugg
01-31-2003, 05:06 PM
I've posted this a few times, but I wonder, with all the other methods around, if anyone but me can do it this way. It's worked flawlessly so far for me.

Get a ty and run vsplitmux2a to get mpa/mpv files.

edit
I add this step for my sa ty's:
Open the mpa file in mpeg2vcr's audio tool and convert it to 48khz.

I use simple mux under "mpeg tools" in tmpgenc plus 2.5(ver. 2.54.37.135) to get a mpg, and then merge and cut to slice out the commercials.

I patch the first header in the mpg to 720x480, 3.5mbps using dvdpatcher(ver1.05b/4.05.2002),

import into spruceup(full ver. 1.1, build 1106)

allow it to crash after creating support files,

Repatch the headers back to 480x480, but I leave the bitrate at 3.5m.

Start spruce again, import the files again(this time it doesn't crash), create menus, create a title set and burn using a udf format.

pioneer a04 using memorex, sony and tdk -r and -rw media, burning with the software that came with the a04.(Veritas' RecordNowDX ver.4.11, build 400B71a.332(PAU))

captain_video
01-31-2003, 10:18 PM
Fugg,

Thanks for the post. This is exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for. I'm glad you added the comment about using mpeg2vcr for SA Tivos. There's been a lot of posts about converting the audio for SA units so this is good info. I've never used mpeg2vcr myself so I'm unfamiliar with using it. Perhaps you could expand on the use of the audio conversion tool and also the merge and cut feature in TMPGEnc for editing out commercials (i.e. more details such as pull-down menus and options or settings required).

I will probably embellish the procedures somewhat to provide additional details in the areas that I'm familiar with. I'm a technical writer by profession so I've got a feel for writing procedural data. When I start getting a few more procedures posted I'll start compiling them in a downloadable document and see if I can't post it as a How To sticky. Whoever posts the procedures will get credit for them, except for the ones I generate myself.

Hoodm3
01-31-2003, 11:23 PM
Hey Captain,

I am glad that someone is actually going to put actual task plans together. I am working on mine as well, I have a Dtivo and have yet to burn a successful DVD that will play in the DVD player. I get them to play on the computer but not on the DVD player. I have noticed that a lot of people post ways that they have made work, however they are making assumptions that everyone knows exactly what they are talking about. I would like to see anyone who posts info to try and list it out detailed step by step. This is what I will do when I get a combo that works for me.

Thanks for all of the great post from everyone that has gotten me this far! :D

boboli
02-01-2003, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by captain_video
Fred,

Nice link. Good for a start. I do intend to add links for the other tutorials that already exist at sites like Doom9 and fukrulez.com. I already have links to them in the How Tos sticky but it's amazing how many people post here without bothering to read them, probably because it's now in a separate forum.

What I'm trying to do is consolidate all of the various methods that members keep coming up with for making DVDs and SVCDs. The sites you mentioned are not Tivo specific. I'm trying to create procedures that ARE Tivo specific. The procedures have probably already been posted in various threads but they're scattered all over the place. I'd like to get them together in one location so everyone can find them easily.

Captain Video, you have a great idea going. Might I make one suggestion? Insure that all your FAQs, Hints and other info is dated. I know it may sound obvious, but one of the main reasons I get so frustrated and ask so many redundant questions is that I am not sure the info I am finding is the current trend. I am sure you agree that hacks and abilities with the tivo change quickly. To be able to get good accurate info is great. To be able to get the good, accurate and current info is the best. Just my thoughts on the subject.
B

Fugg
02-01-2003, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by captain_video
Fugg,

...Perhaps you could expand on the use of the audio conversion tool ...

Here's the audio conversion part. I tried to use as much detail as possible.

To convert a 32khz audio to 48khz without having to convert it to another format:

Open mpeg2vcr ver 3.12 (3.13 is the same)

Click on "Audio" on the menu bar. (ain't that's what it's called? a menu bar?)

Click on "MPEG Audio Player+Editor"

Click on the little document looking button on the upper right just below the status window.

Select the mpa(m2v...) file you want to convert. as soon as you load it, it will start to play. just click on the big pause button on the left to stop it.

Click on the little barrel looking thing with the pink top on the lower right side of the window. It's just under where the file name is displayed.
-- ok, here's a funky part. Sometimes, when you hit the "pink top barrel button" (it's actually the "save" button), the window will change to a smaller version. That's cool, just click on the "pink top barrel button" again and a "record" window will open.

Choose a file name for the new file, click the "all" button in the "save range" section, put a dot by "MPEG audio bit stream, select a sample rate of 48.0kHz, stereo, 192kbps(or 224 or whatever. I just use 192), select layer II and click "save".

When it's done, mux it with the mpv file, just as you would have done with the origional.

That's it!