View Full Version : Help! Please! Tytool/Windows XP Network Performance is Terrible

02-01-2003, 04:25 PM
I just got a new computer with Windows XP and I am having terrible extract speeds with TyTool. I don't think TyTool is the problem at all, but I am hoping somebody can help me.

New Box: Asus P4PE 2.4 Ghz P4. Integrated Broadcomm 10/100 adapter. Get's good file transfer performance with Win2K box and Linux boxes, as well as downloads over DSL. Piss-poor transfer speed with the TiVo, UNLESS I force the network adapter into 10 MB mode.

Getting 1 MB every 1.2 sec at 10 MB, getting 1 MB about every 25 sec at 100 MB. The TiVo has a TurboNet in it.

I still have the Win2K box. It is a Asus A7V333 with a Athlon XP 2000 (1666 MHz) and LinkSys 10/100 card. It gets good performance from the TiVo at 100 MB.

I tried to sniff the line using Ethereal on one of my Linux boxes, but my network is glued together with a Linksys 10/100 switch, so I can't see the traffic from the XP box to the TiVo. I am going to try to borrow a 100 MB hub to see if I can then get a good capture.

I realize this is not the typical kind of problem that gets posted here, but I am getting desperate and hoping that somebody has an idea how to fix or at least troubleshoot this problem.



02-01-2003, 09:12 PM
Others have reported similar issues. I run XP and have no problems getting ~1.5MBs. The 10/100 hub will let you sniff the traffic, and what you'll see are small packets coming from the Tivo. I've brought this up to Josh before. This has a BIG negative impact when using a hub, as utilization goes very high (see my other post here (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20726)).

Not sure what the root cause is for what you and others see. Only thing that I can come up with is a switch that doesn't properly negotiate full duplex, or cheap switches don't have the horsepower to handle the small-packet traffic.

01-30-2005, 05:02 PM
I've had the same problems -- I had the Tivo and PC on a cheap switch from a company called "Add-on" and things were very slow (30+ secs per megabyte) - swapped that for my Linksys Wireless router / switch (using the wired part of the network, not the wireless) and things are flying now (2.9 megabyte / sec).

Not exactly sure of the problem here, but that switch is going in the bin!


02-05-2005, 12:11 AM
I just got a new system up and running a week ago that has a Realtek RTL8139 fast ethernet nic built into the motherboard and my transfer rates from my TiVo using tserver went from 0.67mb/s on my old system to just over 2.0mb/sec. I would guess the Realtek chip has something to do with it.

02-09-2005, 12:14 PM
Turn off the QOS on the interface (if it is on). Also disable the Deterministic Network Driver (if you are using VPN software). I was getting horrible performance (.56per sec), now I am getting around 1.98 per sec.