PDA

View Full Version : For those seeing slowing, what OS do you run?

BubbleLamp
02-04-2003, 12:10 AM
With all the banter lately about performance anomolies, please take a sec to answer this poll only if you're having speed issues with extraction.

Hobby
02-04-2003, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by BubbleLamp
With all the banter lately about performance anomolies, please take a sec to answer this poll only if you're having speed issues with extraction.

I just want to add that in my case I was extracting just fine and for no apparent reason it just slowed to about 1/4 of what it was.

Looking back, and I'm not saying that this could be a reason, I began using Tydemux and Tychopper along with jdiner's muxing tools. These three programs were the only things I can think of that changed on my computer.

Oh - and one more thing that may be important - I'm running direct from my TiVo to my CPU via a cross-over cable (No switches, Hubs or router).

--Hobby--

jaja
02-04-2003, 12:02 PM
I experienced the exact same slowdown although mine seems to be even slower than 1/4th.

The only change made to my computer around the time the slowdown started was a memory upgrade. I've since removed the new memory until we get this resolved.

My TiVo is connected via Belkin Cat5e cable running through a Linksys 4-port router. I'm running Windows ME.

Look, Hobby and I have the same problem. We both have a different OS and different method of connecting our TiVos to the network. Can't we just assume that the problem has nothing to do with OS, cables, or routers? I mean, the problem could end up being related to one of these but let's admit that it's not likely. Let's just leave OS, cables, and routers for last ... ok?

jaja
02-04-2003, 12:07 PM
If I had to put money on this, I would suspect some sort of "behind the scenes" Windows Security Update. It seems as if more and more people are coming down with this extraction slowdown and none of us have anything in common.

BubbleLamp
02-04-2003, 12:19 PM
Any of you guys using Gator, or Kazaa, or Morpheus? These all contain spyware, and can have a big affect on performance. Get yourselves a copy of Ad-Aware and see what it turns up. It's a long shot, but we're grasping at straws right now.

Another question, are you guys running any type of personal firewall?

jaja
02-04-2003, 12:30 PM
I been running Kazaa for almost a year now so I don't see why that would be a problem all-of-a-sudden. Also, while I have Kazaa installed on my computer, it's not part of my PC startup. This means that Kazaa is not running (even in my system tray) while I'm trying to troubleshoot this problem.

Firewall? Not that I'm aware of. Although I think Linksys has some sort of firewall built into the router. I installed the router over a year ago and I haven't made any changes to it since installation. I doubt that's it either.

Hobby
02-04-2003, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by BubbleLamp
Any of you guys using Gator, or Kazaa, or Morpheus? These all contain spyware, and can have a big affect on performance. Get yourselves a copy of Ad-Aware and see what it turns up. It's a long shot, but we're grasping at straws right now.

Another question, are you guys running any type of personal firewall?

No Firewall and I'm not using Gator, Kazaa or Morpheus.

artships
02-05-2003, 02:24 PM
I've been interested in speeding-up the transfer, too. WinXP says that the transfer is only using 9-10% of my 100*mumble* LAN connection. Is it possible that the problem is not that our PC's have lost their ability to suck (insert play on pun of your choice here), but that our tivos are being anal and only doling out a litle at a time?

Wooly
02-05-2003, 03:08 PM
The problem is the Tivo, but not in the way you think. Literally, the processor on the Dtivo is only CAPABLE of sending at ~1.5 to 2.0 MegaBytes per second. It's not HD speed, nor amount of RAM, nor anything to do with the content of the show - it's just data to the Tivo. I don't remember the exact specs (they're posted on here somwhere) but the processor on the Dtivo is INCREDIBLY low powered (hence the trouble people are having when upgrading to 3.x and trying to record a show on one tuner and change channels on the other tuner). It's pulling data off the HD's as fast as it is able to. Remember, you're essentially sending data to the Network interface instead of the TV screen, but you're doing it at 5-6x the planned-for rate.

Originally posted by artships
I've been interested in speeding-up the transfer, too. WinXP says that the transfer is only using 9-10% of my 100*mumble* LAN connection. Is it possible that the problem is not that our PC's have lost their ability to suck (insert play on pun of your choice here), but that our tivos are being anal and only doling out a litle at a time?

jaja
02-05-2003, 03:31 PM
Wooly, I'm sure you are right about that stuff but we're not trying to increase the speed of our transfers but, rather, restore the original speed.

In my case, when I first started transfering programs across the network, it would typically take 5 minutes to transfer a 30 minute show. This was certainly fast enough for me. However, two weeks later, the transferring process REALLY slowed down. Now, it takes me about 90 minutes to transfer a 30 minute program!!!

Now, something just dawned on me...

At the time I first installed TiVoNet, my TiVo drives were about 25% full. In other words, I wasn't recording much with my TiVo. Of course, once I installed TiVoNet, I started recording every single episode of Seinfeld so that I could tranfer them to my PC and then dump them to DVD.

Is it possible that the more we fill up our TiVo hard drive, the slower transfers will be? Is there a relationship here with disk defragmentation or something?

Hobby
02-05-2003, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by jaja
Wooly, I'm sure you are right about that stuff but we're not trying to increase the speed of our transfers but, rather, restore the original speed.

In my case, when I first started transfering programs across the network, it would typically take 5 minutes to transfer a 30 minute show. This was certainly fast enough for me. However, two weeks later, the transferring process REALLY slowed down. Now, it takes me about 90 minutes to transfer a 30 minute program!!!

Now, something just dawned on me...

At the time I first installed TiVoNet, my TiVo drives were about 25% full. In other words, I wasn't recording much with my TiVo. Of course, once I installed TiVoNet, I started recording every single episode of Seinfeld so that I could tranfer them to my PC and then dump them to DVD.

Is it possible that the more we fill up our TiVo hard drive, the slower transfers will be? Is there a relationship here with disk defragmentation or something?

jaja

I've read other posts saying that if you put your Tivo on channel 0 that you could slightly increase your transfer speed due to the fact that fewer processes are running.

As far as recording capacity - I have an 80 Gig drive in my Tivo (~67 Hour Record Time) and currenlty I have (1) that's right ONE 2 Hour movie on the drive and my transfer speed is slow (as you know).

I truly believe that the problem exists soley with the PC.

--Hobby--

02-05-2003, 05:02 PM
In the past I've had problems with some anti-virus programs. Try shutting down all background programs including AV. Agree with BL try spybot or the new adaware to make sure you don't have any spyware slowing down your system.

jaja
02-05-2003, 09:26 PM
If the problem were the PC or the PC's NIC, how come my internet activity isn't any slower?