PDA

View Full Version : Apex AD600A

tweaky
02-06-2003, 08:53 PM
Does anyone have one of these units and has sucessfully created a SVCD from an extracted ty file that the unit will play correctly? I have SVCD's that I created that play fine on a Mintek (Apex knockoff), but refuses to play in sync on my unit. I am using the original firmware.

Thanks

spinxter
02-14-2003, 04:41 PM
I have horrible luck with SVCD on the 600A period. It will play the DVD+R discs that I make, but not SVCD. VCD works fine. I think it's just a limitation of the player.

TheDude83
02-15-2003, 04:30 PM
I have an Apex 600a and I usually just go direct to a DVDR with the resolution fake out method using DVD patcher and SpruceUp. This works GREAT!

I've just recently started re-encoding and converting files (for DivX and SVCDs). SVCDs seem to play fine on my 600a with no sync issues. sync issues usually come up when muxing. After muxing the m2v and m2a if it plays fine with no sync problems on your PC but then you have problems on your Apex, It's probably a problem with your Apex or your CDR media (also make sure you're burning at a slow speed). If there's sync problem while playing both on your Apex and on the PC, Remux and play with the audio/video offset.

I've had some interesting results with SVCDs. If I re-encode to an SVCD standard it plays perfectly fine on my Apex. But if I just mux the m2v and m2a (without re-encoding) and burn as an (S)VCD, the Apex 600a will play it just fine but will not let you control it at all (no pause, fast forward, stop, eject, etc), I have to turn it off to get the SVCD out. This weirdness only happens if I don't encode to an SVCD standard.

Anyone with similar results?

stealthdave
02-15-2003, 06:38 PM
I used to have an Apex 600A DVD player (it has since died :( ), and you can play SVCDs on it, although it is a bit quirky.

Basically, after you put in the SVCD, wait. A while. Like anywhere from 1-15 minutes until the screen says SVCD in the upper-left corner. Then press play. If you press play before then, the player will lock up and you'll have to reboot.

It's not easy, but you can do it. Of course, you could also spend the $54 to get a new Apex player from Wal-Mart (http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?cat=3987&dept=3944&product_id=1957326&path=0%3A3944%3A3987%3A62055%3A105704%3A95987), but I digress. :)

- Stealth Dave

tweaky
02-16-2003, 07:57 AM
Thanks for the replys...

I know it can play SVCD's because I have a few that I downloaded from newsgroups, and they work fine. You definetely need to wait until the thing says SVCD, but I even have issues after hitting the play button.

I figured the easiest way to solve the problem was to spend the $50 and buy a new player that takes everything. I can at least take the DVD player out of the Apex and install it in my computer.