PDA

View Full Version : DVD MovieFactory takes the Muxed Output from VSplitMux!!

Pages : [1] 2

Pr.Sinister
02-07-2003, 10:00 PM
This is an update on March 3rd 2K3.

Generic Step-by-Step for making professional looking DVD's
with Ulead's DVD MovieFactory or DVD Workshop. Source
files are from DirecTiVo. Not SA.

Here's the jist of what you need to do.

1. Extract Shows with TyTool (in TyStream Mode)

2. Generate Key Frames files with TyTool

3. Use GopEditor to create cut list (can be called from TyTool)

4. Multiplex the files in TyTool. You will get .m2a and .m2v files

5. Delete the .m2a files and rename .m2v files to .mpg

6. If you had cuts only before and after the entire show, goto
step 8. If you had cuts in the middle of the show, goto step 7

7. In TMPGenc v2.5xx.xx.xx, goto File | MPEG Tools and
under Simple Mux, browse for video and select your .ty.mpg file.
Everything will be filled out automatically but change the output
from filename.ty.mpg to filename.mpg. Once it's finished, you
can delete the filename.ty.mpg. Repeat this step for all your
shows.

8. Use DVD Patcher to patch the first header only of your MPEG
files to 352x480, 3.5MBit. 3.5 Mbit is important cause if you leave
at 15Mbit, you will see the size of the files triple in DVD MovieFactory/Workshop.

9. Open Ulead DVD MovieFactory v2.10 or DVD Workshop v1.3 (more
powerful) and import your files. The program is not frozen. There
is just no progress bar telling you it is importing. It will take a while.
Create your menus and text.

10. Test the DVD in Ulead. If video is jerky or squished, it's ok.
You just want to test the menus.

11. When you are finished, have Ulead create a VIDEO_TS folder.
Do not burn directly on a DVD. In Workshop, you will have to
customize the output. Customize it to : 352x480, Variable, MPEG
Audio. This should take about 15 minutes on a PIII-933 even if
Ulead says over an hour.

12. Use DVD Patcher to patch the first header only of your first
Video VOB File (NOT VIDEO_TS.VOB! The one right after that) to
480x480, 15MBit.

13. Open Nero Burning ROM v5.5.10.7b and choose DVD-ROM
(UDF/ISO)

14. Under the UDF Tab, put a checkmark next to Force DVD-Video
Compatibilty Mode.

15. Drag & Drop the AUDIO_TS & VIDEO_TS Folders into Nero.
The AUDIO_TS is needed EVEN IF IT'S EMPTY.

16. Burn and Enjoy!

If your shows have AC3 Audio, you will want to edit your .ini files.

If you are using DVD Workshop, Edit DVDWS.INI.
Change PlayAC3=0
to PlayAC3=1

If you are using DVD MovieFactory, Edit DVDMF.INI
Change :

PlayAC3=0
DecodeAC3=0

To :

PlayAC3=1
DecodeAC3=1

The first time it tells you that AC3 isn't supported, just tell it
not to tell you again.

-Pr.

March 5th EDIT : Some people say that after making VOB's they
have to patch the ENTIRE VOB to 480x480 @ 15MBit for it to work
properly in their DVD Player. Not just the 1st header. I don't but
it might be necessary for you.

rd001
02-08-2003, 02:53 AM
Nice find, Pr.

At last, people can start moving away from the Spruce products to a consumer level authoring package.

Have you found a way to use regular vsplit files from Tytool in DvdMovieFactory 2.0? That would be even more excellent.

Your info really should be in the FAQs or the stickies for future reference.

bato
02-08-2003, 11:00 AM
I tested this but something weird happened. I put 9 30min shows without commercials in Moviefactory that where perfect sync mpg files and cut like this:

cut1,show1a,cut2,show1b,cut3,show1c,cut4, then the mpg files have show1a,1b and 1c in perfect sync.

I import that to Moviefactory (patched at 352x480 3.5M) and created menu and everything.

When I play the DVD (in PowerDVD and WinDVD in 2 machines) show 1a (or 2a... 9a) plays perfect, then go the cut and video freezes (even the counter) and the audio still plays, then 5 min or so the video continue with 5min out of sync. This is too weird.

I didn't put the -d in vsplit, do you think that's the problem?

Also the Output was directly to DVD burner.

I'll redo steps 13 and 14, with the same files and see what happen, if not then I will test other .ty files with -d option.

Thanks.

Pr.Sinister
02-08-2003, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by bato
When I play the DVD (in PowerDVD and WinDVD in 2 machines) show 1a (or 2a... 9a) plays perfect, then go the cut and video freezes (even the counter) and the audio still plays, then 5 min or so the video continue with 5min out of sync. This is too weird.

I didn't put the -d in vsplit, do you think that's the problem?

Also the Output was directly to DVD burner.

I'll redo steps 13 and 14, with the same files and see what happen, if not then I will test other .ty files with -d option.

Thanks.

I don't quite understand what you mean by "go to the cut".

If you have the 9 shows without commercials, then that means
you have 9 22 minute mpegs no? what do you mean by cuts?...

-Pr.

Pr.Sinister
02-08-2003, 01:13 PM
Ok i see what you mean...

When you get to a part where the cut happened, the picture
freezes there. When i tried it, i played the beginning then went
back to the menu to play the next episode, etc...

I have something in mind that we could try :

Make a different MPEG for all the sections between cuts.

- We create a cut file that contains only 1 cut point.
- Generate the MPEG file
- Edit the cut file with the next cut point
- Generate the MPEG file
- Edit the cut file with the next cut point
- Generate the MPEG file
- etc...

So we might get 3 mpegs for that 1 30 minute show but that
might work. I'll try and then let you know.

-Pr.

RxMan
02-08-2003, 03:14 PM
Use DVD Patcher to patch MPEG files to 352x480, 3.5MBit

Do you just patch the 1st header or do you patch the whole file? Do you ever patch it back? I patched the whole file and got video that looked 'stretched' and in a shows opening credits words were cut off on the right side. I also had the dvd lose video (just a black screen) yet the audio continued after the 1st cut.

bato
02-08-2003, 03:18 PM
That's right, the first part from the mpg is ok, then came where cut and then this weird thing.

So I guess it happen to you also.

So is no the -d option, is something with Moviefactory, too bad, this was an easy way to make a DVD.

Thanks.

Pr.Sinister
02-08-2003, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by RxMan
Use DVD Patcher to patch MPEG files to 352x480, 3.5MBit

Do you just patch the 1st header or do you patch the whole file? Do you ever patch it back? I patched the whole file and got video that looked 'stretched' and in a shows opening credits words were cut off on the right side. I also had the dvd lose video (just a black screen) yet the audio continued after the 1st cut.

I patch only the header... sorry... should have mentioned that.

bato
02-08-2003, 07:24 PM
Tried DVD Workshop same result.

Tried MyDVD, only imported 4 from the 9 saying the others were corrupt, menu ok, transcode audio ok, build DVD folder failed... too many pictures in GOP...

Tried MovieFactory with 3 segment show (instead of 1 mpg for the half hour show I made 3 smaller mpg files) this time worked, all 3 segments in perfect sync.

EDIT: Demux a mpeg, tried to import in DVDMaestro "Temporal References in GOP #0 (Zero-based) are out of sequence"

bato
02-08-2003, 08:33 PM
Another test, the 3 mpg files joined with mpeg2vcr to just 1 mpg, then again the Moviefactory process, now video is ok, first part perfect sync, second the audio behind like 1 sec and last like 2 sec behind.

So close.

bato
02-08-2003, 09:02 PM
Now I joined the 3 files (part of the same 30min show) with TMPEnc 2.510, then Pr.Sinister steps and now the DVD plays with perfect sync in PowerDVD.

So if you want to use MovieFactory then you need to:

1.- Only cut beginning and end each time, you will create then 3 or so mpg files for 30min show
2.- Join all parts with TMPGEnc to make 1 show
3.- Follow Pr.Sinister steps above.

Maybe the muxed mpg file contain timing information and this is read by Ulead tools? I have to check the time video freezes in my previous test, maybe is as long as the commercials that were there.

Maybe jdiner knows whats different from 2 cuts (keep 1 video chunk) and 4 cuts (3 video chunks), 'cause for me is weird that I can join 3 (1 video chunks per mpg) and keep sync and when 1 (3 video chunks per mpg) is used the video freezes and the audio keep going when parsed by Moviefactory or Workshop.

Now to test if I need to patch back to 480x480 to make it work in my DVD player.

EDIT: To make it work in my DVD player I need to patch back to 480x480, I guess if you have more than 1 show you will need to patch all VOB not just the first header, cause the first header on the VOB only match the first show.

bato
02-10-2003, 11:39 PM
I tested one of the original mpg files that when authored with Moviefactory lost sync after a freeze in the commercial cut and the resulting mpg authored with Moviefactory almost result perfect.

What I did was a demux with TMPGEnc, then I tried to remux with TMPGEnc and no go, something about invalide mpg audio, so I remuxed with mpeg2vcr and it remuxed ok, authored with Moviefactory and now perfect sync all the way, but something wrong with mpeg2vcr chop about 2 sec audio at the end.

So I just need to find a software to remux without the audio cut at the end and can work without creating 3 or more mpg files from the same show.

Anyone know what the demux/remux step can change in the mpg so Moviefactory now keep sync?

bato
02-11-2003, 12:24 AM
To make it work, I used TMPGEnc and BeSweet:

a) demux mpg file into m2v and mp2 with TMPGEnc
b) transcode mp2 to mp2 with BeSweet (weird eh?)
c) remux with TMPGEnc
d) Author with Moviefactory with steps at first post
e) patch back to 480x480 if needed (I do)

I guess is possible to join all shows in 1 big file and then:
- create chapters
- only patch back first header in first vob
- only need to demux, transcode, remux 1 file

So still more testing. Weird that I need to demux/remux to fix the problem with Moviefactory.

Pr.Sinister
02-11-2003, 12:26 AM
Maybe it's time we ask jdiner if he knows why this is happening
(loss of sync after 1st cut)

Waddayasay josh? Any ideas? :)

-Pr.

Pr.Sinister
02-16-2003, 08:36 PM
Bumping this cause people are asking how to get stuff on DVD
from Vsplit mux...

What we know so far :

DVD Movie Factory 2 will take the output from vsplitmux as long as
these requirements are met :

- Audio must be 48Khz MPEG Layer 2. AC3 audio is not supported
and 32Khz audio will make the program transcode the mpeg.

- Show must not have any cuts in the middle of the MPEG
If you have say a show from a premium channel (no commercials)
You can trim the beginning and end and that file can be used.

If you have a show on Network TV (with commercials) you need
to create a separate file for each of the segments between
commercials. You can then use these files separately or use
TMPGEnc v2.5x.x.x.x to merge them into one file.

-Pr.

captain_video
02-17-2003, 01:35 AM
I'm guessing that this discussion is centering around tystreams extracted from a SA Tivo. I'm basing it on the fact that you're using 352X480 as your resolution instead of 720X480 and there is mention of the audio being converted from 32kHz to 48kHz. This is an important fact to know as I'm guessing that this process is limited to use with a SA Tivo tystream and not one from a DTivo. Please let me know if I'm wrong about this.

bato
02-17-2003, 01:45 AM
My tests were made from Dtivo tystreams only. The files normaly are 480x480 @ 15mbit and I have to patch them to 352x480 @ 3.5mbit with dvdpatcher so Ulead Moviefactory 2 can read them and not reencode them (I have to patch the vobs back to 480x480 to make it work in my DVD player).

Still have the audio problems but there are work arounds. As Pr.Sinister said:
1) If you only need to cut something from beginning and end your ok
2) If not you can do multiple files and then make same number of chapters
3) Or you can then join them with TMPGEnc
4) Of if you already have the .mpg with multiple cuts, you can demux, transcode audio (from 48 to 48, wierd I know, maybe somthing broken in TMPGEnc), remux and it will work.

So if you mess a little bit with it you can do fast DVDs with simple menus with this software from the gopeditor output, you just need to choose which steps you want to do after extracting the .ty from your Dtivo (I don't know about SA, maybe with it this is not a problem since you still need to demux, transcode audio 32->48, remux, so step 4 I guess is the only choice).

Pr.Sinister
02-17-2003, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by captain_video
I'm guessing that this discussion is centering around tystreams extracted from a SA Tivo. I'm basing it on the fact that you're using 352X480 as your resolution instead of 720X480 and there is mention of the audio being converted from 32kHz to 48kHz. This is an important fact to know as I'm guessing that this process is limited to use with a SA Tivo tystream and not one from a DTivo. Please let me know if I'm wrong about this.

I am using DTiVo TyStreams only. Got rid of my SA TiVo a few
years back.

I use DVD Patcher to patch to 352x480, 3.5 Mbit. It works great
in DVD Movie Factory 2 as long as the audio is 48Khz and not AC3.

I'm trying to find a way for AC3 audio. I will try Sonic MyDVD 4.0
tonight and i'll let you know.

bato
02-17-2003, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by Pr.Sinister
...I will try Sonic MyDVD 4.0
tonight and i'll let you know.

I tried and it was a no go for me.

mrwalker66
02-17-2003, 10:21 AM
when i try to use dvd moviefactory 2, it still tries to transcode the video, which defeats the whole purpose....

bato
02-17-2003, 10:35 AM
If you follow the steps in the first post it will no reencode the video.

I beleive:
- if you patch to 720x480 it will reencode
- if you patch to 352x480 and not bitrate to 3.5 it will reencode
- if your audio is not at 48 it will reencode

Make sure you are patching Bitrate to 3.5MBit Horizontal to 352 and Vertical at 480 with the latest DVDPatcher 1.05B and only patch back if needed when the VOBs are created.

captain_video
02-17-2003, 10:48 AM
Sounds like a viable method for authoring except for the lack of AC3 capability. Both SpruceUp and Maestro (and also IFOEdit) handle AC3 without a problem. I've been using the SpruceUp method for about 8 months or so and it's the easiest method for creating professional looking DVDs I've seen so far.

2ride
02-17-2003, 11:33 AM
with the dvd engine.

Anyone else have this problem?

I get to the last step, when I try to create the video_ts it gives the error listed above.

Pr.Sinister
02-20-2003, 02:56 PM
Quick tip when using DVD Movie Factory 2

If you are importing a lot of big MPEGs, you noticed that
just selecting the files takes a while. Here's the tip.

Create a very small mpeg that you will not include in your
DVD and select that one first... Then select everything else
and unselect the one you don't want.

Save a lot of time.

P.S. If you don't understand what i'm saying, you have never used
DVD Movie Factory with VsplitMuxed MPEGs so don't ask for
explanations! hehehe

-Pr.

bato
02-20-2003, 08:38 PM
I do understand what are you saying ;) nice tip.

bato
02-21-2003, 02:06 AM
I have some mpg files already muxed and without .ty files to recreate them, so I was doing this to make them work in Movie Factory:
1.- demux (tmpg)
2.- mp2 to mp2 (besweet)
3.- remux (tmpg)
4.- author with Movie Factory 2

and they work great, they keep sync (tested in PowerDVD).

So reading other forum and for the fun of it, I changed step 2:

2.- mp2 to ac3 (besweet)

changed from 1 to 0 in DVDMF.ini
[ReShowMSG]
AskShowUnsupportAC3=0

create the files and it works!.

When select info in the video to import it show AC3 audio and the final output keep sync in PowerDVD.

I also tried Ulead DVD Workshop 1.2 (trial) and also works, but when you select info it show "none" as audio in the muxed mpg file with ac3 sound, but hey it play in the final output. The trick in Workshop to no reencode is when in Finish clic "Make Disc" then "Customize..." then in General select standard and change from 720x480 to 352x480 and in Compression Audio Format to MPEG audio, I guess it won't reencode if the audio bit rate is set higher than it realy is (normaly we use 128/192) so default 224 is no problem. In my AC3 test I convert to 192 AC3 so I just select mpeg audio and 224 bit rate, no reencode.

Ah, one other thing, you select the file to import a lot faster in Workshop than Movie Factory so the tip is not needed here.

I'll keep making more tests.

RxMan
02-21-2003, 10:06 AM
Is everyone running the full version of Movie Factory? I have a few days left on the demo.

bfdhe
02-21-2003, 10:55 AM
Is everyone running the full version of Movie Factory? I have a few days left on the demo.

Yes. I am runing full version.

RxMan
02-21-2003, 11:36 AM
You have a PM.

Pr.Sinister
02-21-2003, 01:40 PM
I have some mpg files already muxed and without .ty files to recreate them, so I was doing this to make them work in Movie Factory:
1.- demux (tmpg)

What version of TMPGEnc are you using? I am using version
2.59.47.155 Plus but i can't demux stuff that has Dolby Digital 2.0

It doesn't know what the audio is...

-Pr.

bato
02-21-2003, 03:59 PM
What version of TMPGEnc are you using? I am using version
2.59.47.155 Plus but i can't demux stuff that has Dolby Digital 2.0

It doesn't know what the audio is...

-Pr.

I'm using 2.510.49.157, but step 1 is a complete show without commercials with mp2 audio, so I'm not demuxing DD. This clip won't keep sync if importes to Movie Factory, so I demux mp2, convert mp2 to ac3, remux then use Movie Factory.

True, when I demux the mpg and I want to remux it right away with TMPGEnc, it always show an error that audio not valid (that's why I used to transcode mp2 to mp2, but now I know that MF2 can process ac3 audio), also error with demux/remux with M2-Edit Pro, so I don't know if gopeditor or vsplitmux left something out in the audio that those programs don't see it as a valid mp2 file, even when demuxed with the same software.

Pr.Sinister
02-21-2003, 04:06 PM
I'm using 2.510.49.157, but step 1 is a complete show without commercials with mp2 audio, so I'm not demuxing DD. This clip won't keep sync if importes to Movie Factory, so I demux mp2, convert mp2 to ac3, remux then use Movie Factory.

True, when I demux the mpg and I want to remux it right away with TMPGEnc, it always show an error that audio not valid (that's why I used to transcode mp2 to mp2, but now I know that MF2 can process ac3 audio), also error with demux/remux with M2-Edit Pro, so I don't know if gopeditor or vsplitmux left something out in the audio that those programs don't see it as a valid mp2 file, even when demuxed with the same software.

Oh ok... i tought i was going crazy here... We need to find
something that will demux Vsplitmux MPEGs that have DD audio.

Then we will be in business!

BTW: I am working on a tutorial that goes from ty to DVD with
menus but i use 1600x1200 as my desktop but i know that not
everyone has a 21" monitor. Can people who would be interested
in such a tutorial tell me what their desktop res is so i can adjust
the tutorial to fit the size most common to people. Hopefully it's
1280x1024 but i guess 1024x768 should be ok too... I won't go
lower than that!

-Pr.

bato
02-22-2003, 03:38 AM
I just found out that for my .mpg files (with gopeditor and vsplitmux) that won't keep sync when authored with Movie Factory, I just need to Simple Multiplex with TMPGEnc, like puting the .mpg file as both audio and video input and just select other name for the output.

This works and is weird for me, how TMPGEnc can't demux/mux the .mpg file (need to transcode to mp2 or ac3 to make it work) but can mux the same file ok?

Well, this works and cut the need to trancode audio. So now my steps to make a DVD with shows without commercials are:
1.- extract .ty from DTivo
2.- process with vsplit/gopeditor/vsplit (thanks for the .bat file)
3.- simple mux with the .mpg file as audio/video and save to other file
4.- patch the .mpg to 352x480 @ 3.5
5.- import the .mpg file into Movie Factory, repeat from 1 until you fill your DVD
6.- create menus, chapters, ...

Now I'll burn some DVDs and test in some players, wish me luck.

EDIT: BTW you can use DVD Workshop 1.2 trial and have more control over menus (have some problems with chapter points, but maybe is only in my system)

2ride
02-22-2003, 04:26 AM
bato,

can i get that bat file?

i have tried this on a few different files but always end up with some error when i try and generate the video_ts folder. Am wondering if I am doing something wrong when using vsplitmux.

thats why id like to try your bat file

thanks

2ride

2ride
02-22-2003, 04:36 AM
here is the error i get when i try and generate video_ts folder

number of video frames in GOP is invalid for a dvd

this is what I did

extract ty with tytool6
make key file
edit cut list
mux ( vplitmux in tytool6 )
remux ( simple ) in tmpgenc
patch header to 352 and 3.5 mb
import into movie factory

generate folders -

blow up

Pr.Sinister
02-22-2003, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by 2ride
here is the error i get when i try and generate video_ts folder

number of video frames in GOP is invalid for a dvd

this is what I did

extract ty with tytool6
make key file
edit cut list
mux ( vplitmux in tytool6 )
remux ( simple ) in tmpgenc
patch header to 352 and 3.5 mb
import into movie factory

generate folders -

blow up

I never had an error trying to generate the folders... Maybe it's
something stupid... Did you check the "Do not convert compliant
files" ?

I dunno what to tell you... Does it crash when you try to write?

If so, try writing to a different drive...

-Pr.

bato
02-22-2003, 11:36 AM
bato,

can i get that bat file?

Thanks to Wooly here (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=80225#post80225) is the original post, I just put rem del %1 just in case I need the .ty file later.

And for your problem that is weird, I don't get any errors creating the VIDEO_TS, what I'll check:

- if path is ok
- if the folder is created ok
- you have enough space in that drive/partition

if anyone know why remux in TMPGEnc is needed maybe jdiner can incorporate that into vsplitmux code so the process will end like this:

- create mpg with gopeditor vsplitmux
- patch at 352x480 @ 3.5
- author with Movie Factory
- patch back vobs (if needed by your player).

2ride
02-22-2003, 02:46 PM
I was using version 1 of movie factory.

Looked all over for the version number and never could find it but installed version 2 and it is definately better.

Thanks to Pr and Bato for the info

2ride

2ride
02-22-2003, 03:01 PM
I did read this in an earlier post but wanted to reiterate that you must use version 1.05b of dvdpatcher 1.04 won't work right. it appears to work but moviefactory will try and transcode, i repatched with 1.05b and all is well.

SWEET

bato
02-22-2003, 05:54 PM
I did read this in an earlier post but wanted to reiterate that you must use version 1.05b of dvdpatcher 1.04 won't work right. it appears to work but moviefactory will try and transcode, i repatched with 1.05b and all is well.

SWEET

That's good info, I'm using 1.05b, but some people maybe have 1.04.

bfdhe
02-22-2003, 06:07 PM
Are you patching the whole file or just the first header with DVDPatcher?

bato
02-22-2003, 06:31 PM
Just the first header to import into Movie Factory 2.

I will be burning my first multi show DVD today. I know my DVD player need for me to change back to 480x480 @ 15000 and for 1 show DVD is just the first large VOB the rest are 480x480 already.

I don't know if Movie Factory 2 will create a single set, if that's the case then I will need to patch all headers, because then the first of all shows be 352x480 and that will screw they playback (in my player, I guess others act different).

2ride
02-22-2003, 10:53 PM
using the process described in this thread I built a dvd in movie factory.

according to the software the size should have been 4.3 gig but after generating the video_ts folder I tried to burn using nero 5.5.10 and nero complained that what I was trying to burn was too big to fit on a 4.7 gig dvd.

Does anyone know why the output would be larger than the movie factory said it should be?

2ride
02-22-2003, 10:55 PM
I am running on this on a k7 2100+ with 512 megs.

generating a 4gig video_ts is taking over 3 hours.

are others seeing similar times?

I am going to try dvd workshop later and will report the generation time using it.

bato
02-23-2003, 12:03 AM
Most of my tests were with only one 30min show (to find the right way to keep sync). Just finished first complete DVD (12 30min shows with menus) with Ulead Workshop (have intro video, main menu, chapters menu, custom background) and after compile the menu and then Finish - Make Disc - Customize... - 352 x 480 - Compression MPEG Audio - Yes in warning that mpeg is not a standard audio type for NTSC DVD, then select Create DVD directory it say that space needed 3.8GB, resulting folder in Windows properties say 3.78GB and the time it took on my good old PIII-800 took less than 10 minutes I guess. I'll create again and tell you exactly how much time.

EDIT: a little less than 12 minutes to create VIDEO_TS folder with 3.78GB information (3 1g vobs and another less than 1g). So if your process take hours with a better machine you are reencoding for some reason. Next I'll try a quick DVD with same files into Movie Factory 2 and post results.

EDIT2: a little over 12 minutes with Movie Factory 2, so something else is wrong. Exactly same bytes for the main VOBs 3.78GB (4,061,427,712 bytes)

2ride
02-23-2003, 01:38 AM
i had a couple of files that weren't patched correctly, thus the long time and extra size.

i noticed one of the vob files was at 480x480 already when I went to patch it.

went back and checked my mpgs and found 2 must have missed

now all is well

thanks bato

2ride

bato
02-23-2003, 08:35 AM
i noticed one of the vob files was at 480x480 already when I went to patch it.

FYI in my case I did 12 30min shows and these programs (MF2 and WS1.2) created 1 set of vobs (4 total), just the first one say is 352x480@3.5 and the others say 480x480@15, but that is only the first header!, so to make it right in my player I need to patch back ALL headers in all 4 VOBs to 480x480@15. EDIT: now that I'm patching back all headers maybe patch to 480x480@3.5 will work best in other players that read the bitrate and see it as too high, just thinking, maybe, don't know, don't have that many players to play with :D

In my tests (with only 1 show) all I needed to do was patch the first header in the generated VOB.

So if you only have 1 show (and your player don't work well without patching back) you just need to patch the first header, if you have more shows, you need to patch back ALL headers cause you don't know where the next show starts and that show first header is 352x480.

RxMan
02-23-2003, 11:30 AM
I have had good luck with the methods posted using MovieFactory. I cannot get any background image to open so I can create a menu. These same images open fine in SpruceUP. Are you using MovieFactory to set your menus and chapters?

2ride
02-23-2003, 12:08 PM
I put 11 30 min shows on one dvd, could have fit 1 or 2 more

I used ritec media and burned using nero 5.5.10 ufs/xbox compatability mode.

dvd works fine in my unmodified xbox. ( note: xbox is from dec 2002 )

didn't have to patch vobs back to 480x480
but I probably will in the future cause I can tell when that first frame plays at 352x480. just a split second but it looks unprofessional.

I did use menus but did not use custom backround images

:) :) :) :) :) :)

Pr.Sinister
02-23-2003, 06:56 PM
Well after trying both DVD Movie Factory v2.10 and
DVD Workshop v1.3, i must say DVD Workshop is what
i will use from now on. It is much more flexible and i can
actually make custom menus with buttons where i want
and not where the template limits me.

I made a quick flash tutorial on how to use it and i am
attaching it to the next 2 messages. Take a look if you
want. Hopefully everyone will understand it. I had to remove
some frames due to size but anyone with half a brain should
understand it. :D

-Pr.

Pr.Sinister
02-23-2003, 06:57 PM
Part 2 of the DVD Workshop Flash Tutorial

Pr.Sinister
02-23-2003, 06:59 PM
I have had good luck with the methods posted using MovieFactory. I cannot get any background image to open so I can create a menu. These same images open fine in SpruceUP. Are you using MovieFactory to set your menus and chapters?

When i was using DVD Movie Factory, i used my own background
no problem. I made a 720x480 JPEG and used it as a background.

-Pr.

bfdhe
02-24-2003, 01:03 PM
I have extracted several movies and used DVD Movie Factory to convert to DVD. I ran into a problem where a few of the projects produced would not fit on a single DVD because of their length.

I found this neat little utility that will take your "oversized" DVD and convert it to fit on one DVD-R. I have made 4 of these "converted" DVDs, and so far the extra compression has not made a noticable difference.

Here is the link http://www.dvd2one.com

And here is my process:

Extract from Tivo
Use VSplitMux to make a MPG
Use DVD Movie Factory to make a DVD from the Vsplit mgg, but I just have it make the DVD Video_TS folder on my hard drive.

Once I am done, I run DVD2One on the newly created Video_TS folder and produce another Video_TS folder which will fit on one DVD.

Burn with Nero.

I had not seen this utility mentioned here before so I thought someone might be interested. It sure like it.

Bman
02-24-2003, 01:26 PM
Pr.Sinister,

Damn nice job on the tutorial. I have something tolook forward to when I get out of work (besides the family)!

You do any PPV movies with menu's? I'm trying to get examples of what can be done. If you have maybe post a look of what can be done.

I'll be downloading trial version of DVD Workshop. Is the AC-3 powerpack necessary? My goal's are to extract .ty file of PPV's, edit, adding menu's and chapters and burning. I want to preserve the 5.1 sound track where available.

I have most of the mechanics down. Interested in authoring now. Thanks for any directions...\

bman

Pr.Sinister
02-24-2003, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by Bman
Pr.Sinister,

Damn nice job on the tutorial. I have something tolook forward to when I get out of work (besides the family)!

You do any PPV movies with menu's? I'm trying to get examples of what can be done. If you have maybe post a look of what can be done.

I'll be downloading trial version of DVD Workshop. Is the AC-3 powerpack necessary? My goal's are to extract .ty file of PPV's, edit, adding menu's and chapters and burning. I want to preserve the 5.1 sound track where available.

I have most of the mechanics down. Interested in authoring now. Thanks for any directions...\

bman

Thank you...It was a lot of work and awful to my eyes.. I hate
1024x768 resolution. My brain was happy when i went back
to 1600x1200... hehehe

Yes i do PPV movies with menus. Most of the times, i have 2
movies on 1 DVD. So what i do is 1 Menu with 2 buttons that
are logos of each movie. Each button brings me to a sub-menu
of that movie. That menu contains all my chapters.

The AC3 powerpack is not needed. You can keep Dolby Digital
no problem. If DVD Workshop v1.2 works for you, stick to it.
My version 1.2 worked for the first 2 burns and then kept on
crashing on me. I have the full version 1.2 and full version 1.3
so i installed 1.3 and my problems are gone. But 1.3 is much
slower at importing the MPEGS. Just a heads up to anyone
with no patience!

-Pr.

Bman
02-24-2003, 05:48 PM
I have full install of DVD Workshop 1.2. Followed the tutorial and in edit I get choppy video playback?? Sound plays fine, video is choppy. Also I noticed that after patching to 352X480 in edit the video is not centered. Is this because it was 480 originally? So far not much luck. I'm going to upgrade to 1.3 now and look over your tutorial more. I wish you had a pause button in it! ;)

bman

BubbleLamp
02-24-2003, 06:28 PM
I have full install of DVD Workshop 1.2. Followed the tutorial and in edit I get choppy video playback?? Sound plays fine, video is choppy. Also I noticed that after patching to 352X480 in edit the video is not centered. Is this because it was 480 originally? So far not much luck. I'm going to upgrade to 1.3 now and look over your tutorial more. I wish you had a pause button in it! ;)

bman

Same exact problems here. And there IS a pause button, look for the little control panel near the bottom.

Also, when I look at the file with IFOeditor, it still sees the MPG as 720x480.

Pr.Sinister
02-24-2003, 06:39 PM
Playback IS choppy but only in DVD Workshop. When you create
the VIDEO_TS directory and burn it, or even play it off the hard
drive in PowerDVD, all is well.

-Pr.

Pr.Sinister
02-24-2003, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by BubbleLamp
Same exact problems here. And there IS a pause button, look for the little control panel near the bottom.

Also, when I look at the file with IFOeditor, it still sees the MPG as 720x480.

Are you sure? The Menu is 720x480 but the first VOB is 352x480
and all subsequent ones are 480x480...

Try looking at the VOB's in DVD Patcher...

-Pr.

BubbleLamp
02-24-2003, 07:07 PM
Are you sure? The Menu is 720x480 but the first VOB is 352x480
and all subsequent ones are 480x480...

Try looking at the VOB's in DVD Patcher...

-Pr.

OK, in DVDPatcher I do see the first is 720x480, and the main VOB is 352X480. But I still have the problem of off center video, and really bad picture coruption on the right side during fast movement. Also, these are regular TV shows, not AC3 movies, in case that makes a difference. I'm doing nothing to the audio, should I be?

Bman
02-24-2003, 07:28 PM
BubbleLamp,

And there IS a pause button, look for the little control panel near the bottom.

My eye sight is getting bad and I left my reading glasses at work...

Unfortunately I have to play with the editing stuff on a 15 inch monitor at 1024X768. I don't see a control panel... :(

bman

dalntgenius
02-24-2003, 10:26 PM
I can create a DVD using MF2 that plays good in PowerDVD, however I get no audio on my DVD player. It does play the video though. Here's the steps I took:

1. extract .ty - make key - mux with Tytool6
2. patch header to 352
3. create dvd with MF2
4. patch vob back to 480
5. burn with Nero

If I use TMPGenc to make a DVD compliant mpeg, those play fine.

I also did try demuxing, running besweet to create a new .ac3 (tried a .m2a as well), and using TMPGEnc to remux.

Any ideas why my DVD player won't handle the audio?

Thanks!

Pr.Sinister
02-24-2003, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by dalntgenius
I can create a DVD using MF2 that plays good in PowerDVD, however I get no audio on my DVD player. It does play the video though. Here's the steps I took:

1. extract .ty - make key - mux with Tytool6
2. patch header to 352
3. create dvd with MF2
4. patch vob back to 480
5. burn with Nero

If I use TMPGenc to make a DVD compliant mpeg, those play fine.

I also did try demuxing, running besweet to create a new .ac3 (tried a .m2a as well), and using TMPGEnc to remux.

Any ideas why my DVD player won't handle the audio?

Thanks!

Hehehe... I had the same problem on my first DVD i ever made
with Ulead products. The problem was that my DVD Player
outputs everything as RAW audio through the Digital Optical Cable.

So what i did was plugin the RCA Audio and all was good. But
then i figured there must be a way to output non AC3 or DTS
audio through the digital cable. So i went to the audio setup and
changed the "Other Audio" output to output digitally as PCM.

Tada! Got sound!

So just play with your DVD Player Audio Settings and i'm sure
you will be able to get sound on that same disc you already
burnt.

-Pr.

Pr.Sinister
02-24-2003, 10:41 PM
OK, in DVDPatcher I do see the first is 720x480, and the main VOB is 352X480. But I still have the problem of off center video, and really bad picture coruption on the right side during fast movement. Also, these are regular TV shows, not AC3 movies, in case that makes a difference. I'm doing nothing to the audio, should I be?

I was able to get perfect DVD's without doing anything to the
audio. I dunno what is going on with yours... Does it play correctly
in PowerDVD or do you get the same thing?

Are you using DVD Workshop or DVD Movie Factory?

What version? If you need the latest versions, let me know and
i'll up them somewhere. Actually i'll up them now to the FTP Wes
posted in the How-To sticky.

-Pr.

dalntgenius
02-24-2003, 10:54 PM
Thanks Pr

I changed the DVD player's optical audio source from Stream to Dolby Digital/PCM and now all is well!

Muchos gracias!

Tiros
02-24-2003, 11:06 PM
Are you guys all just loading the cut .m2v into MF2?
I have the "audo sync after cut point" issue on the final product , where video freezes audio continues video starts etc.

I did as suggested and TMPGed Simple Mux, Same file in .mpg out and get a perfect .mpg that can load into MF2 (w/vdbpatcher first).

Seems like I'm doing an extra step with TMPG, did I miss something?

Thx for help

Pr.Sinister
02-24-2003, 11:07 PM
I just tought of something. I have the extra components
installed in both the DVD Movie Factory and DVD Workshop.

Those are available for free from the Ulead site. That's the
only thing i can think of that might be different from my
system and yours.

Hope this helps...

-Pr.

Pr.Sinister
02-24-2003, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by Tiros
Are you guys all just loading the cut .m2v into MF2?
I have the "audo sync after cut point" issue on the final product , where video freezes audio continues video starts etc.

I did as suggested and TMPGed Simple Mux, Same file in .mpg out and get a perfect .mpg that can load into MF2 (w/vdbpatcher first).

Seems like I'm doing an extra step with TMPG, did I miss something?

Thx for help

No you are not doing an extra step. That step IS necessary but
ONLY if you are making cuts in the middle of the TyStream.

If you are taking something from a premium channel like HBO,
you are just cutting the beginning and end. That doesn't need
any re-muxing.

It would be really nice if jdiner could take a look at that for
us. It would make life soooooo much easier. After that, i believe
this is a perfect solution for making professional looking DVDs
with Menu, AC3 audio, and all the shabangs!

-Pr.

BubbleLamp
02-25-2003, 12:04 AM
No you are not doing an extra step. That step IS necessary but
ONLY if you are making cuts in the middle of the TyStream.

If you are taking something from a premium channel like HBO,
you are just cutting the beginning and end. That doesn't need
any re-muxing.

It would be really nice if jdiner could take a look at that for
us. It would make life soooooo much easier. After that, i believe
this is a perfect solution for making professional looking DVDs
with Menu, AC3 audio, and all the shabangs!

-Pr.

Ok, I can see I did one, maybe two things wrong.

1) I was editing out commercials in the middle of the show, DOH! I'll try the TMPeg remux trick.

2) Here I'm confused. Are you all using the m2v file renamed, or the mpg output file from vsplit?

Tiros
02-25-2003, 12:11 AM
Pr,

I do get a couple of TMPG errors something like "buffer underun occurred - output file may have problems" Do you ever see these errors too? The Output file looks perfect.

It seems like this process "cleans up" the m2V file somehow.

Pr.Sinister
02-25-2003, 10:25 AM
Ok, I can see I did one, maybe two things wrong.

1) I was editing out commercials in the middle of the show, DOH! I'll try the TMPeg remux trick.

2) Here I'm confused. Are you all using the m2v file renamed, or the mpg output file from vsplit?

As soon as TyTool has muxed my show, i delete the .m2a, .key
and .cut

I then rename the .m2v to .mpg

- If i made cuts in the middle of the show, i either remux with
TMPGEnc or demux, transcode to DD audio, then remux.

- Once my mpg is the way i want it, i patch it with DVD Patcher,
and import in DVD Workshop.

You know the rest...

-Pr.

Pr.Sinister
02-25-2003, 10:28 AM
Pr,

I do get a couple of TMPG errors something like "buffer underun occurred - output file may have problems" Do you ever see these errors too? The Output file looks perfect.

It seems like this process "cleans up" the m2V file somehow.

The underuns are nothing to worry about... especially when
it's less than 1000 packets...

I usually get between 12 and 50 packets underun and i never
had a problem

-Pr.

dalntgenius
02-25-2003, 11:03 AM
I have two audio questions.

1. can someone send me an example of their besweet command? I ran the besweet gui with default options from mp2 to mp2 but wasn't sure if the default's what I should take.

2. How can you tell if a show is actually DD and not stereo?

Thanks!

Pr.Sinister
02-25-2003, 11:11 AM

1. can someone send me an example of their besweet command? I ran the besweet gui with default options from mp2 to mp2 but wasn't sure if the default's what I should take.

Thanks!

I am at work right now and don't have my BeSweet profiles
here. I will post it tonight around 9pm...

You can tell when TyTool6 does the muxing. It tells you
waht type of audio it is. Or you can use AudioCheck.exe on
the Ty file.

But usually what i do is play it in PowerDVD after the muxing
and right click on the screen and select "Show Information"

It will tell your MPEG Layer 2 Audio or Dolby Digital

-Pr.

BubbleLamp
02-25-2003, 07:47 PM
As soon as TyTool has muxed my show, i delete the .m2a, .key
and .cut

I then rename the .m2v to .mpg

- If i made cuts in the middle of the show, i either remux with
TMPGEnc or demux, transcode to DD audio, then remux.

- Once my mpg is the way i want it, i patch it with DVD Patcher,
and import in DVD Workshop.

You know the rest...

-Pr.

It definitely seems to be DVDPatcher causing the weirdness. I've tried patching the entire file as well as just the header. I'm gonna try another file with no cuts at all and see what happens. Stay tuned...

bato
02-25-2003, 08:28 PM
It definitely seems to be DVDPatcher causing the weirdness. I've tried patching the entire file as well as just the header. I'm gonna try another file with no cuts at all and see what happens. Stay tuned...

Are you using version 1.05B, someone here say that patching with 1.04 cause problems.

BubbleLamp
02-25-2003, 08:40 PM
Are you using version 1.05B, someone here say that patching with 1.04 cause problems.

Yes, 1.05b. But I just found something weird again. I burned a show with now GOPEdit cuts. I just re-muxed it with TMPEG, then patched first header. It looked the same as before. But I decided to FF a ways, and about 2 min into the show it looked fine! I hadn't bothered to do that before, since they always looked so messed up. So now I'm not sure if the other edited shows also worked after some amount of time. Of course, I have no idea yet why the first few min of the show are garbage.

When you guys do a simple remux in TMPEG, do you just set it for MPEG-2 VBR, or do you tweek any of the settings?

One other thing I noticed in Movie Factory. The audio defaults to 8000/224K, but the file's really 15000/192K. Are you supposed to change one/both to match what's really in the file?

Pr.Sinister
02-25-2003, 11:03 PM
Yes, 1.05b. But I just found something weird again. I burned a show with now GOPEdit cuts. I just re-muxed it with TMPEG, then patched first header. It looked the same as before. But I decided to FF a ways, and about 2 min into the show it looked fine! I hadn't bothered to do that before, since they always looked so messed up. So now I'm not sure if the other edited shows also worked after some amount of time. Of course, I have no idea yet why the first few min of the show are garbage.

When you guys do a simple remux in TMPEG, do you just set it for MPEG-2 VBR, or do you tweek any of the settings?

One other thing I noticed in Movie Factory. The audio defaults to 8000/224K, but the file's really 15000/192K. Are you supposed to change one/both to match what's really in the file?

That's just weird... Could it be your streams? I have no problem
whatsoever. What does it look like in PowerDVD XP v4.0? Maybe
it's a problem with your hardware DVD Player where it doesn't
like the 352x480 header. Have you tried re-patching the header
to 480x480? what about 720x480? Don't you just love Re-Writable
DVD Media? hehehe...

You have PM.

-Pr.

Pr.Sinister
02-25-2003, 11:14 PM

Thanks!

I also use BeSweetGUI

My command to go from MP2 to AC3 is :
"C:\Utils\BeSweet.exe" -core( -input "e:\TyStreams\Bill Maher- Be More Cynical-.ty.mp2" -output "e:\TyStreams\Bill Maher.ac3" ) -azid( --maximize ) -ac3enc( -b 384 ) -profile( ~~~~~ Default Profile ~~~~~ )

My command to go from MP2 to MP2 is :
"C:\Utils\BeSweet.exe" -core( -input "e:\TyStreams\Bill Maher- Be More Cynical-.ty.mp2" -output "e:\TyStreams\Bill Maher.mp2" ) -azid( -c light -L -3db --maximize ) -2lame( -m s -b 192 -e ) -profile( DSPguru_MP2@192kbps )

Hope this helps,

-Pr.

bato
02-25-2003, 11:58 PM

Yes just mpeg2 vbr.

We patch the first header to 352x480 @ 3.5mbit, so I keep the defaults in Movie Factory.

When I play in PowerDVD the first frames show moved (at 352x480 fill or something, and some weird colors) then all is ok, in my player it looks awfull, can't watch the picture, so I have to patch back to 480x480 @ 15mbit (all headers if multishow) to play it right.

It will help a step by step with pictures? I guess I can do that tomorrow. Do you know a good screen capture tool?

BubbleLamp
02-26-2003, 02:02 AM
Yes just mpeg2 vbr.

We patch the first header to 352x480 @ 3.5mbit, so I keep the defaults in Movie Factory.

When I play in PowerDVD the first frames show moved (at 352x480 fill or something, and some weird colors) then all is ok, in my player it looks awfull, can't watch the picture, so I have to patch back to 480x480 @ 15mbit (all headers if multishow) to play it right.

It will help a step by step with pictures? I guess I can do that tomorrow. Do you know a good screen capture tool?

I just loaded the latest PowerDVD and I see exactly what you said Bato, a momentary hiccup, then the rest plays fine. All the rest of my PC-based players, and even IFOedit don't play it correctly!

So now I have to figure out why the disc doesn't work on my Apex. So far I've only tried DVD+RW and DVD-RW discs, to avoid making coasters.

Thanks to you and Pr.S.

BTW, What's the deal with the UDF option in Nero? I recall someone else saying to set it to 1.2 for better compatibility with some players. What exactly does the Xbox checkbox do?

UPDATE: I just tried the files that worked in PowerDVD on the Apex 1500. But instead of the momentary hiccup in PowerDVD, I get messed up video. This doesn't seem to correct itself for a while. But, if I FF, then the player syncs properly, and the rest of the DVD plays fine. I'm guessing the faked 352x480 header is the cause now. I'm going to patch the whole file to 352x480 and see what happens.

BubbleLamp
02-26-2003, 02:01 PM
Well, thank God for rewritable discs! This morning I tried nearly every combination of patches, and here's the results for me on my Apex AD-1500.

At 352x480, headers or full files, I have to FF (4x, or faster) and then it will sync with the stream.

At 720x480, menu screen works, rest of the program is split vertically, with left playing show, right flickering leftover menu screen.

At 480x480, all works as it should.

All these patches were done to the VOBs/BUPs after I'd written them to disk from Movie Factory.

I'm pretty convinced the title menu MF creates is 720x480. Trying to create a 720x480 format from the Tivo's 480x480 wrecks havoc, so that's out. That leaves 352x480. But for some odd reason, the Apex ain't happy with that. The show itself will appear normal, but the MF title menu is off since it has to be morphed from 720x480 to 352x480, making for an odd display. Perhaps a simpler version of the menu with fewer choices, and centered on the screen will allow me to use it. Haven't tried that yet. Anyway, that's where things stand for me.

Big thanks to Bato and Pr.S

bato
02-26-2003, 02:11 PM
UPDATE: I just tried the files that worked in PowerDVD on the Apex 1500. But instead of the momentary hiccup in PowerDVD, I get messed up video. This doesn't seem to correct itself for a while. But, if I FF, then the player syncs properly, and the rest of the DVD plays fine. I'm guessing the faked 352x480 header is the cause now. I'm going to patch the whole file to 352x480 and see what happens.

That's exactly what my DVDs behave in PowerDVD and my Daewoo, so what I do is patch the resulting VOBs back to 480x480 @ 15mbit, but instead of first header I patch all headers because when I do multiple shows, every show first header is 352x480 @ 3.5 and that can make a hicup in PowerDVD but can mess bad the picture in my Daewoo, other day I'll do more tests with friends/family players, just to make the most compatible DVD, prior to writing to final ±R

BubbleLamp
02-26-2003, 02:19 PM
Ok, this works for me, I make no claims for anyone else. I patched my finished files on disk this way.

First I patched all the VOBs to 480x480. Then I went back and pached the header only of the title menu VOB to 720x480. This corrects how it looks on-screen.

No clue what this will do on another player yet. YMMV. Caveat Emptor, and all that.

bato
02-26-2003, 02:29 PM
Ok, this works for me, I make no claims for anyone else. I patched my finished files on disk this way.

First I patched all the VOBs to 480x480. Then I went back and pached the header only of the title menu VOB to 720x480. This corrects how it looks on-screen.

No clue what this will do on another player yet. YMMV. Caveat Emptor, and all that.

Congrats BubbleLamp.

After reading your post I read all mine and I think I made a mistake, I tell everyone to patch VOBs to 480x480@15 but in reality is what you did, patch only the VOBs with the actual video from the Dtivo and not the VOB that includes the menu. As you found out, if you patch that VOB you have problems and you need to patch back to 720x480.

So in short, patch all headers only in the VOBs with your video and not the VOB with your menu.

You can check your VOBs (open and play) with PowerDVD to find out which ones to patch.

Sorry for the misinformation. I'll guess I have to edit my posts and not to tell to patch all VOBs.

BubbleLamp
02-26-2003, 02:41 PM
Congrats BubbleLamp.

After reading your post I read all mine and I think I made a mistake, I tell everyone to patch VOBs to 480x480@15 but in reality is what you did, patch only the VOBs with the actual video from the Dtivo and not the VOB that includes the menu. As you found out, if you patch that VOB you have problems and you need to patch back to 720x480.

So in short, patch all headers only in the VOBs with your video and not the VOB with your menu.

You can check your VOBs (open and play) with PowerDVD to find out which ones to patch.

Sorry for the misinformation. I'll guess I have to edit my posts and not to tell to patch all VOBs.

Well actually I did patch all, even the menu. But then went back and changed the header of the menu VOB back to 720x480. I think this lessens the chances of a hiccup, since only the static menu is 720x480, and anything beyond that is 480x480. I'll check that again next time to see if I can get away with the whole menu VOB at 720x480 and the show VOB(s) at 480x480.

I'm still wondering how so many folks can get 352x480 to work properly on their players. :confused:

Pr.Sinister
02-26-2003, 03:10 PM
Well actually I did patch all, even the menu. But then went back and changed the header of the menu VOB back to 720x480. I think this lessens the chances of a hiccup, since only the static menu is 720x480, and anything beyond that is 480x480. I'll check that again next time to see if I can get away with the whole menu VOB at 720x480 and the show VOB(s) at 480x480.

I'm still wondering how so many folks can get 352x480 to work properly on their players. :confused:

Hehehe... I always left the TS.VOB at 720x480... never touched
that. As for the actual movie VOB's, i'm pretty sure just patching
the header back to 480x480 is fine. DVD Workshop creates
the VOB files to be 1 gig each. So let say you have this scenario:

3 MPEGs of 1.4 gigs each.
Patch headers to 352x480.
Author with DVD Workshop.
It creates the 1st VOB and cuts it at 1 gig.
Takes the remaining 400 megs of that one to start the next VOB.
It notices that that MPEG is actually 480x480.
So it writes a 480x480 header.
Continues in the same vein for the rest of the files.

Just an opinion but makes sense to me.

-Pr.

bato
02-26-2003, 03:46 PM
Hehehe... I always left the TS.VOB at 720x480... never touched
that. As for the actual movie VOB's, i'm pretty sure just patching
the header back to 480x480 is fine.
See what you did? Now I'm going to make my test DVD (again) and only patch the first header, just to test this, man you make me work hard! :D

Actualy I'm going to do this for my benefit, patching all headers take time, not much right, but if I don't need to do it... well you know. I'll post back results from my Daewoo that maybe not the same as other players.

Pr.Sinister
02-26-2003, 04:50 PM
See what you did? Now I'm going to make my test DVD (again) and only patch the first header, just to test this, man you make me work hard! :D

Actualy I'm going to do this for my benefit, patching all headers take time, not much right, but if I don't need to do it... well you know. I'll post back results from my Daewoo that maybe not the same as other players.

hehehe... the whole point is to get from Ty to DVD with as
little work as possible. It would be great if jdiner would check
that audio issue we are having with shows that have cuts in
the middle. If that gets fixed, then we have a PERFECT solution
for professional looking DVDs from Ty files.

-Pr.

BubbleLamp
02-26-2003, 07:23 PM

Yup, just tested it on my Apex. Left the menu at 720x480, and patched first header of the program VOB to 480x480. Works fine. Whoo Hooo, time to burn me some Twilight Zones and free up some disk space!!!

Bman
02-26-2003, 07:55 PM
I followed Pr.Sinister's tutorial and have burned my first .ty extracted DVD. K-19 Widowmaker! Setup a menu with 6 chapters just to see if it would work. It worked just like it should. I do have some questions thou;

In Movie Workshop 1.3 after creating VOB's, I checked the 2 directories it created. Audio_TS and Video_TS. In the Audio_TS directory there aren't any files in it. Is that normal?

I burned in a SONY DRU-500a with latest ROM patch (1.0g) onto a Sony DVD+RW disk.

Used Nero 5.5.10.7b. In PowerDVD I have audio but in my home Sony DVP - S565D there is none. I read a few posts back about changing your audio setup in the DVD player. I went in to check and under audio I get 1. OTHERS but change anything. I'll get out the manual to see what I can find.

Another question, If I record a PPV movie with 5.1 audio will I be able to get 5.1 output on my on my burned DVD using Pr.Sinisters tutorial?

Time to setup Tivo to record some more stuff! Thanks to Pr.Sinister's excellent tutorial and jdiner's Tytool for making it easy to get some really professional results...

bman

BubbleLamp
02-26-2003, 08:05 PM
Further update on DVD Workshop (I switched from MF, not sure why!). I just made another set of VOBs with the MPG source file patched to a bitrate of 8K. You can't use 15K in Workshop or MF. Probably doesn't matter for OTA TV shows, but PPV probably goes over 3.5K, at least I'd hope so.

Also, if you go into Global Settings, then pick Disk Template Manager, you can create a new template and save it with the attributes you want, so you don't have to choose Custom each time.

Now if I could just figure out how to set the button attributes. All I got is the play all button, the rest do nothing!

Oh yea, anyone know how to pass a file to TMPGEnc via command line, it'd be nice to automate that step. Or is there another app that works just as well for that?

Pr.Sinister
02-26-2003, 09:27 PM
Further update on DVD Workshop (I switched from MF, not sure why!). I just made another set of VOBs with the MPG source file patched to a bitrate of 8K. You can't use 15K in Workshop or MF. Probably doesn't matter for OTA TV shows, but PPV probably goes over 3.5K, at least I'd hope so.

Also, if you go into Global Settings, then pick Disk Template Manager, you can create a new template and save it with the attributes you want, so you don't have to choose Custom each time.

Now if I could just figure out how to set the button attributes. All I got is the play all button, the rest do nothing!

Oh yea, anyone know how to pass a file to TMPGEnc via command line, it'd be nice to automate that step. Or is there another app that works just as well for that?

The reason you changed from MF to WS is because MF doesn't allow you to move stuff around. You can't put the buttons anywhere you want or the chapter thumbnails anywhere you want on your screen. Very annoying.

What do you mean by Button Attributes? My custom buttons play the movie i tell them to play or go to the menu i want them to go to.

Check out my default menu for PPV/Premium Channel Movies :

Pr.Sinister
02-26-2003, 09:27 PM
Sub-Menu for Movie 1

Pr.Sinister
02-26-2003, 09:28 PM
Sub-Menu for Movie 2

Pr.Sinister
02-26-2003, 09:36 PM
The 3.5Mbit vs 8Mbit thing doesn't matter if it's just the header.

Your DVD player will say : Ok.. bitrate is 3.5Mbit FOR THIS 1 SECOND.

Then the next second is 4.8Mbit, then 6.9Mbit, etc...

The stream is VBR. If you watch it with PowerDVD and right-click
on the display and select Show Information, you'll see what i
mean.

Either way, once i author the DVD, i always patch back to
480x480, 15Mbit just to make sure it will play in other DVD Players
than mine.

-Pr.

Pr.Sinister
02-26-2003, 09:42 PM
I followed Pr.Sinister's tutorial and have burned my first .ty extracted DVD. K-19 Widowmaker! Setup a menu with 6 chapters just to see if it would work. It worked just like it should. I do have some questions thou;

In Movie Workshop 1.3 after creating VOB's, I checked the 2 directories it created. Audio_TS and Video_TS. In the Audio_TS directory there aren't any files in it. Is that normal?

I burned in a SONY DRU-500a with latest ROM patch (1.0g) onto a Sony DVD+RW disk.

Used Nero 5.5.10.7b. In PowerDVD I have audio but in my home Sony DVP - S565D there is none. I read a few posts back about changing your audio setup in the DVD player. I went in to check and under audio I get 1. OTHERS but change anything. I'll get out the manual to see what I can find.

Another question, If I record a PPV movie with 5.1 audio will I be able to get 5.1 output on my on my burned DVD using Pr.Sinisters tutorial?

Time to setup Tivo to record some more stuff! Thanks to Pr.Sinister's excellent tutorial and jdiner's Tytool for making it easy to get some really professional results...

bman

Yes you will get 5.1 Output if your movie had 5.1. If you can't
figure out how to output PCM through your Digital Cable,
then before importing the files in your Ulead product of choice,
demux the mpgs, convert to AC3 with BeSweet, then remux with
TMPGEnc.

That will make the audio work for sure on your DVD Player.

But definately there should be a setting you can change on your
player so you don't need to demux. It's a Sony after all!

Hehehe

BubbleLamp
02-26-2003, 11:32 PM
The reason you changed from MF to WS is because MF doesn't allow you to move stuff around. You can't put the buttons anywhere you want or the chapter thumbnails anywhere you want on your screen. Very annoying.

What do you mean by Button Attributes? My custom buttons play the movie i tell them to play or go to the menu i want them to go to.

Check out my default menu for PPV/Premium Channel Movies :

The buttons with chapter thumbnails work fine, it's the navigation icons (Home, FF, RW, Play) that I can't make work. Seems you can link them to a chapter stop, but not much else.

Bman
02-26-2003, 11:34 PM
Here's what I have under setup/audio on my Sony DVP S565D:

Audio ATT: Off
Audio DRC: Standard
Center Speaker EQ: Flat
DownMix: Dolby Digital
Digital Out: On
Dolby Digital: D-PCM
DTS: On
48kHz/96kHz PCM: 48kHz/16bit

I have to get up early so I'll have to put this off until tomorrow. If you see anything that sticks out that I should change, please let me know. I have my outputs form DVD going to 5.1 Encoder in my Yamaha A/V Receiver, if that helps.

bman

bato
03-02-2003, 12:24 PM
In another thread:

Originally posted by jdiner
I was working over a few things with Bubblelamp about the audio issues he and a few others were seeing and I found a major, yet simple bug. Kind of a shame when things like that slip through. I am working over the proper fix now and cleaning out a number of other small issues that have been reported to me.

Sorry for the delay but I wanted to make sure it was right this time and now it is. Should be no more audio issues.

--jdiner

So as soon as jdiner release this code I guess the step by step that Pr.Sinister show us at first post in this thread will be all we need (no more simple mux with TMPGEnc!), this is great news.

Of course if you deleted your .ty files and can't get them again you still create things with the simple mux out from your .mpg files, is you have your .ty files (as many say if you want to do more things with them you should keep them) then you can edit again and no need to mux.

I was testing some other things with Maestro, and I like it better than Workshop, I hope with this new release I can demux the mpg and use that in Maestro without GOP errors.

Pr.Sinister
03-02-2003, 01:04 PM
In another thread:

So as soon as jdiner release this code I guess the step by step that Pr.Sinister show us at first post in this thread will be all we need (no more simple mux with TMPGEnc!), this is great news.

Of course if you deleted your .ty files and can't get them again you still create things with the simple mux out from your .mpg files, is you have your .ty files (as many say if you want to do more things with them you should keep them) then you can edit again and no need to mux.

I was testing some other things with Maestro, and I like it better than Workshop, I hope with this new release I can demux the mpg and use that in Maestro without GOP errors.

Yeah i saw that too... And Maestro is obviously way more powerful than Workshop but the fact is that to get 100% working with the files we got from TyTool, it was necessary to find a product that could accept the muxed output. If we want to use Maestro, right now the more viable solution is Tydemux because of the fixing of the Temporal References. So until they come up with 0.5.0, i'm happy with TyTool and GopEditor :)

-Pr.

bato
03-02-2003, 02:01 PM
Yeah i saw that too... And Maestro is obviously way more powerful than Workshop but the fact is that to get 100% working with the files we got from TyTool, it was necessary to find a product that could accept the muxed output. If we want to use Maestro, right now the more viable solution is Tydemux because of the fixing of the Temporal References. So until they come up with 0.5.0, i'm happy with TyTool and GopEditor :)

-Pr.
I agree with you 1000%, I'm very happy with Tytool GopEditor, thanks to jdiner. Thanks to BubbleLamp to explain to him clearly what the problem was (I tried but many times what I write no-one understand, hey even when I review my posts a couple of weeks later I can't understand a thing :D ).

I made some tests, if I split .ty file with tytool and then import m2v and m2a to Maestro no problems, no GOP errors (I have some .ty with errors) but then I edit with GOPeditor and demux and then GOP errors, so I guess that what jdiner explained about recreating the mpg removing some junk and compressing some headers something there Maestro can't tolerate, for me it will be great if the split show no errors in Maestro then the demux don't show that either because all the cuts were GOP perfect, maybe next version.

bato
03-02-2003, 02:04 PM
Hey, how about you edit your first post here to show the steps needed to make it work (TMPGEnc simple multiplex) and then when jdiner release the fixed version change the steps to what is needed then, so first time readers don't have to go and read many pages to make DVDs right?

ninsei
03-02-2003, 05:23 PM
Hi all,

Just wanted to thank PR, Bato, Bubblelamp, et. al for all your help. I went from being the SVCD guy, to just getting a brand new DVD burner. Just reading this thread (maybe a couple times over, :) I managed to create a DVD successfully with menus, chapters, etc. off a Dtivo pull from my Turbonet...

an FYI, I used the following:

tydemux
mplex or TMPGEnc (for muxing m2a and m2v)
TMPGEnc for cutting (even commercials)
DVD Patcher 1.0B
Ulead DVD Workshop
Nero
One DVD+RW (thank god) heh

It works like a charm.. Your instructions and comments to help this process worked and were very very useful. As many stated, I started with MF2 but found DVD Workshop much better.

Now, if only DVD workshop had an Auto chapter split like MF2 did.. Oh well, no big deal.. Menu creation in DVDW is 10x better.

DeTer
03-02-2003, 08:50 PM
Hey, how about you edit your first post here to show the steps needed to make it work (TMPGEnc simple multiplex) and then when jdiner release the fixed version change the steps to what is needed then, so first time readers don't have to go and read many pages to make DVDs right?

bato

great suggestion......was thinking the same thing, even though i have read all of the thread, but with all the changes i am confused.
DeTer

bato
03-02-2003, 09:45 PM

Well as I promised in this thread, I patched the first header in the first VOB that have my project (11 22min shows without commercials in 1 full DVD :) ), prior tu burning I tested with PowerDVD and every episode started with a "hicup" and then fine, just the intro (the header I patched back to 480x480@15) worked fine, anyway I burn that to DVD+RW and tested in my Daewoo, started fine, menu fine, first episode no good, big blocks everywere, like mixed frames video, it keep this way until I pressed FF to 4x then it fixed and played ok, then again next episode, so I guess I need to patch ALL headers to 480x480@15 cause I don't know any software that can find the 11 headers that are in between the VOBs that are at 352x480@3.5.

I'll reburn and edit this with the result.

EDIT: If I patch ALL headers in the VTS_01_x.VOBs to 480x480@15 then the DVD plays great, I don't touch the VIDEO_TS.VOB (menu) so I don't need to patch that back to 720x480. So if you have problems in your player, try to patch all headers before burning.

BubbleLamp
03-02-2003, 09:56 PM
Well as I promised in this thread, I patched the first header in the first VOB that have my project (11 22min shows without commercials in 1 full DVD :) ), prior tu burning I tested with PowerDVD and every episode started with a "hicup" and then fine, just the intro (the header I patched back to 480x480@15) worked fine, anyway I burn that to DVD+RW and tested in my Daewoo, started fine, menu fine, first episode no good, big blocks everywere, like mixed frames video, it keep this way until I pressed FF to 4x then it fixed and played ok, then again next episode, so I guess I need to patch ALL headers to 480x480@15 cause I don't know any software that can find the 11 headers that are in between the VOBs that are at 352x480@3.5.

I'll reburn and edit this with the result.

Yes, I found I what worked best is to patch all VOBs back to 480x480, then just the header of the first (menu) VOB to 720x480. I don't get the hiccups at all that way. When I patched only the headers of the non-menu VOBs, I had an occassional glitch.

bato
03-03-2003, 01:18 AM
Yes, I found I what worked best is to patch all VOBs back to 480x480, then just the header of the first (menu) VOB to 720x480. I don't get the hiccups at all that way. When I patched only the headers of the non-menu VOBs, I had an occassional glitch.
That's what I'm talking about, I don't touch the menu VOB and have great playback, you need to patch it to/from 480x480 to make it work in your player, so everyone reading you need to test and get what it works for you.

By the way, thanks for explaining jdiner the audio problem, I'm saving some .ty (big) to use the new release so I don't have to spend that much time multiplexing the resulting mpg. Just doing first/last cut editing right now.

slideaway
03-03-2003, 11:45 AM
I have used DVD MF to create a DVD and at the end using 'Create DVD folders'.

Not sure if this has been answered, I did not notice reading through this thread.

When I create the Nero DVD image (need to do so and pass to a friend to burn) I have the Audio_TS folder which is empty and the Video_TS folder with about 5 files in it.
Another file that was created when I used DVD MF was outside of the Video and Audio folders. Looked like this;

Folder - Audio_TS
Folder - Video_TS
File - _vfc.chk

DVD MF created that .chk file. Do I need to add that to the Nero image or is it just garbage from DVD MF.

Second question
To burn the DVD image I just drag an drop the contents of the Video_TS folder, right?

Thanks

EDIT: Thanks bfdhe

bfdhe
03-03-2003, 11:49 AM
Yep, just drag and drop.

You don't need the .chk file.

Pr.Sinister
03-03-2003, 01:57 PM

Done!

-Pr.

Pr.Sinister
03-03-2003, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by slideaway
I have used DVD MF to create a DVD and at the end using 'Create DVD folders'.

Not sure if this has been answered, I did not notice reading through this thread.

When I create the Nero DVD image (need to do so and pass to a friend to burn) I have the Audio_TS folder which is empty and the Video_TS folder with about 5 files in it.
Another file that was created when I used DVD MF was outside of the Video and Audio folders. Looked like this;

Folder - Audio_TS
Folder - Video_TS
File - _vfc.chk

DVD MF created that .chk file. Do I need to add that to the Nero image or is it just garbage from DVD MF.

Second question
To burn the DVD image I just drag an drop the contents of the Video_TS folder, right?

Thanks

EDIT: Thanks bfdhe

in Nero, choose DVD-ROM (UDF/ISO) and drag and drop both the
AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS directories to the root. Not the .chk file.

-Pr.

Pr.Sinister
03-03-2003, 02:03 PM
BubbleLamp and Bato :

You guys say you need to patch all headers for it to work
properly. I don't have to. But when you say that, do you mean
patch every VTS VOB's FIRST HEADER or do you mean you patch
every VTS VOB but the ENTIRE FILE instead of FIRST HEADER?

I just want to put that on the 1st post....

-Pr.

2ride
03-03-2003, 11:32 PM
but I find when you put multiple shows on a dvd it makes sense to patch the 'entire' vob ( 1 at a time ) since you cannot be sure where each show is starting. I think whether or not this is required is a function of the dvd player being used to play the burned dvd. I put in a earlier post that I don't need to patch the vobs for use in my sony dvd player or xbox but if i don't the screen looks unprofessional for an instant when a new episode starts ( assuming multiple episodes on 1 dvd )

make sense?

hope so

This is still the best way I have found to make dvds

thanks PR and Bato too!!

bato
03-04-2003, 07:15 AM
BubbleLamp and Bato :

You guys say you need to patch all headers for it to work
properly. I don't have to. But when you say that, do you mean
patch every VTS VOB's FIRST HEADER or do you mean you patch
every VTS VOB but the ENTIRE FILE instead of FIRST HEADER?

I just want to put that on the 1st post....

-Pr.

Entire File. My problem with my player is that first header on each episode (from the 11 put in) is at 352x480, Workshop don't change that and have problems when the episode starts. In PowerDVD from the files in harddisk, a small "hicup" shows at every episode start (no big deal) but in player it shows for many minutes (or until FF) after each change of episode. So if you only put 1 long show or movie on the DVD only the First Header need to change, but when many shows are put in the same DVD I need to change the Entire File in all the VTS_01_?.vob (in my 11 episode DVD there were 5 vobs to patch entire file option).

Thanks Pr.

BubbleLamp
03-04-2003, 11:40 AM
What they said. :D

2ride
03-04-2003, 12:10 PM
I have been using the process described in this thread to make some pretty stellar DVDs.

I am confused on the whole AC3 with Ulead products issue. When I extract and burn a PPV movie, shouldn't that be in AC3 audio. I am using a dtivo version 2.5.2

I thought all was well until I was doing some stuff with a divx avi which had ac3 audio. After I encoded it into an mpg DVDMF and WS popped up a window saying they can't handle ac3.

Can someone explain to me what is going on with the audio in a PPV movie vs say a dvd that was ripped with ac3? I am assuming they are different but am not clear on the differences.

Is there a tool I can use ( BeSweet, etc ) that can identify what type of audio is in an mpg or mp2 file ( after demux )

Thanks

2ride

Pr.Sinister
03-04-2003, 01:25 PM
I have been using the process described in this thread to make some pretty stellar DVDs.

I am confused on the whole AC3 with Ulead products issue. When I extract and burn a PPV movie, shouldn't that be in AC3 audio. I am using a dtivo version 2.5.2

I thought all was well until I was doing some stuff with a divx avi which had ac3 audio. After I encoded it into an mpg DVDMF and WS popped up a window saying they can't handle ac3.

Can someone explain to me what is going on with the audio in a PPV movie vs say a dvd that was ripped with ac3? I am assuming they are different but am not clear on the differences.

Is there a tool I can use ( BeSweet, etc ) that can identify what type of audio is in an mpg or mp2 file ( after demux )

Thanks

2ride

You might find this hard to believe but the majority of the stuff
on PPV doesn't have AC3 audio. Usually only the Letterbox movies
have AC3 audio.

If you want to make sure the movie has AC3 audio, use Jdiner's
AudioCheck.exe file on the TyStream. It might be that the AC3 is
kicking in only after 1 minute so you might have to jump over
the MPEG Audio to get TyTool to rip the AC3 audio.

As for DVD Workshop and DVD Movie Factory, check out the 1st
message in this thread. I edited it with the AC3 info at the bottom.

-Pr.

bato
03-04-2003, 11:27 PM
You might find this hard to believe but the majority of the stuff
on PPV doesn't have AC3 audio. Usually only the Letterbox movies
have AC3 audio.
And I believe that you need to select Dolby Digital if not then the movie will be recorded in standard audio.

OT: There are more PPV movies with AC3 audio with dish, but you need other hardware, but if you have it you can use it ;) This are simple to trim with Maestro and to include 2 in a single DVD and if they do not fit for little over 400MB (as I found out) you can use Instant Copy or DVD2One to make it fit.

DeTer
03-05-2003, 02:37 PM
I am almost there, i have burned a dvd -rw and it plays fine with the exception of the menu i built. The buttons don't show up untill they are highlighted and then they don't have any text that i put in. It is like they are hidden untill you arrow over to one. Other than that the dvd plays fine and the buttons do work.....just don't have the description of what it is.
Also a little confused on what VOB to patch.....this is my 1st VOB but there are IFO & BUP's before it. VTS_01_0 It is only a small VOB, the next VOB are 1gb.

any help with this would be great, Been waiting a long time to get my Seinfelds on DvD.

DeTer

PS: thanks for the new how to -Pr.

PPS: Also when creating VIDEO_TS folder in step 11) MPEG audio, what bit rate is that 384?

bato
03-05-2003, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by DeTer
I am almost there, i have burned a dvd -rw and it plays fine with the exception of the menu i built. The buttons don't show up untill they are highlighted and then they don't have any text that i put in. It is like they are hidden untill you arrow over to one. Other than that the dvd plays fine and the buttons do work.....just don't have the description of what it is.
Also a little confused on what VOB to patch.....this is my 1st VOB but there are IFO & BUP's before it. VTS_01_0 It is only a small VOB, the next VOB are 1gb.

What software are you using? Maybe you can change the colors or the background to make it work. When you test your menu it show ok in the software you using?

Start with the first big VOB and patch all the rest that follow _2 _3 ...

lc204
03-05-2003, 08:48 PM
I'm having a problem using both MovieFactory and Workshop after following the method posted earlier and importing my edited mpg into the app. I created the menus and buttons but when I reached the point where I'm suppose to see a window to select the type of output, nothing comes up and the app freezes. For Workshop, after setting 358x480, variable, mpeg audio on 'make disc' and hitting ok...it just freezes. Anybody know what I'm doing wrong? I running winXP with Sony DRU500A burner and installed workshop on a fat filesystem but saving the project to an ntfs filesystem.

UPDATE: It turns out to be some conflicting dlls from previous install. Now it works fine.

ryan94z
03-05-2003, 09:17 PM
I am generally confused on what needs to be done to get a show from a stand-alone Tivo to work with Ulead DVD Works. Does this sound right:

get the TyStream with TyTools
Generate the cut file
Edit beginning and end of show (HBO Porgrams, no commericlas) with GOPEdit
BeSweet to upsample the the audio to 48KHz
Simple Mux the "edited" M2V and upsampled MPA in TMPGEnc
Patch the output MPG to 3.5M/352x480/1st header only
then follow the rest of the directions Pr.Sinister posted?

btw, I don't have my Tivo recording at 720x480 resolution, am I going to have to re-encode up to 720x480? I don't want DVD Works to transcode, but I want to be able to make nice menus.

Pr.Sinister
03-05-2003, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by lc204
I'm having a problem using both MovieFactory and Workshop after following the method posted earlier and importing my edited mpg into the app. I created the menus and buttons but when I reached the point where I'm suppose to see a window to select the type of output, nothing comes up and the app freezes. For Workshop, after setting 358x480, variable, mpeg audio on 'make disc' and hitting ok...it just freezes. Anybody know what I'm doing wrong? I running winXP with Sony DRU500A burner and installed workshop on a fat filesystem but saving the project to an ntfs filesystem.

I also have WinXP Pro SP1 with all updates and Sony DRU-500A.

I'm all NTFS. No problems for me. What version are you using?

DVD Workshop 1.2 was crashing for me so i upgraded to 1.3.

-Pr.

Pr.Sinister
03-05-2003, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by ryan94z
I am generally confused on what needs to be done to get a show from a stand-alone Tivo to work with Ulead DVD Works. Does this sound right:

get the TyStream with TyTools
Generate the cut file
Edit beginning and end of show (HBO Porgrams, no commericlas) with GOPEdit
BeSweet to upsample the the audio to 48KHz
Simple Mux the "edited" M2V and upsampled MPA in TMPGEnc
Patch the output MPG to 3.5M/352x480/1st header only
then follow the rest of the directions Pr.Sinister posted?

btw, I don't have my Tivo recording at 720x480 resolution, am I going to have to re-encode up to 720x480? I don't want DVD Works to transcode, but I want to be able to make nice menus.

Although i haven't had a SA TiVo since directivos came out, i would
say that you are probably better off setting the TiVo to record at
720x480. The only reason we patch to 352x480 is because
480x480 is not DVD standard. So if you set your SA to record at
720x480 or 352x480 and have a bitrate of at least 3.5MBit, you
should only need to upsample to 48Khz. I'm just speculating here
but that's what i think... So obviously when making the VOB's,
you would choose Constant instead of Variable and you would
change from 8000 to 3500.

Try that and let us know...

-Pr.

DeTer
03-05-2003, 11:33 PM
bato

I have been following the new instructions as posted on march 3 or 4. I am using dvd workshop 1.2 & tmpgenc. I tried the menus in workshop and they looked great. When i burned it it plays as i would like, bvut i don't have the detail of the menus. when i arrow around the menu i only get a highlighted square, no picture or text.

DeTer

What software are you using? Maybe you can change the colors or the background to make it work. When you test your menu it show ok in the software you using?

Start with the first big VOB and patch all the rest that follow _2 _3 ...

ninsei
03-06-2003, 12:21 AM
Well, everything worked well until I noticed something..

I'm creating a simple chapter selection menu in DVD Workshop. I'm using a DTivo muxed output patched (1st header) to 352x480.

Since DVD Workshop doesn't have the nifty "Auto create chapters" that MF2 has.. I manually make 10 minute chapters during the movie.

Has anyone noticed that when they click on the "Insert Chapter" button that the thumbnail that is created does not match where the picture is in the movie?

I find this kind of annoying as I would like to have it be when i click on a certain scene, its acutally the scene, not 2-5 minutes before or after...

ninsei

Pr.Sinister
03-06-2003, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by ninsei
Well, everything worked well until I noticed something..

I'm creating a simple chapter selection menu in DVD Workshop. I'm using a DTivo muxed output patched (1st header) to 352x480.

Since DVD Workshop doesn't have the nifty "Auto create chapters" that MF2 has.. I manually make 10 minute chapters during the movie.

Has anyone noticed that when they click on the "Insert Chapter" button that the thumbnail that is created does not match where the picture is in the movie?

I find this kind of annoying as I would like to have it be when i click on a certain scene, its acutally the scene, not 2-5 minutes before or after...

ninsei

Yes i did notice that. But the thumbnail is the right one for the
chapter. I was gonna look into it this weekend because i
remember that the 1st DVD i made in Workshop didn't exhibit that
behavior so i will try and see what i did differently.

-Pr.

PS. MAybe it has to do with the "Locate I-Frame" thing.

slideaway
03-06-2003, 09:39 AM
When trying to add a file to DVD MF I get the following error

File contains no Video Data.

I've played the file with powerDVD and its fine, audio and video.

Has anyone received this error when attempting to use a file in DVD MF.

I have vsplit the ty, generated key, used GOPedit to cut commericals, vsplit -m, did a simple mux in TMPEG and patched the header in DVD patcher. I didn't miss a step, following them from the first post.

I did cut the very first segment in GOP on this file where as some other I have not and they are accepted by DVDMF. Would that make a difference or is this something else with the original ty?
Or did I miss a step?

Thanks

And one more. If anyone has run into this.

I burned a disc using nero on to +R media, created with DVDMF and tried to play it in a Sony DVP-560, few years old. It recognizes that its DVD, shows MPEG next to the DVD icon on the display but when I hit play I here a quick snip of audio but no video and the display on the unit is running as though it were playing properly but there is not audio or video, just the sony wall paper thats up when you turn the unit on. Weird. Not sure if anyone has run into that.

Thanks again.

ninsei
03-06-2003, 11:27 AM
Yes i did notice that. But the thumbnail is the right one for the
chapter. I was gonna look into it this weekend because i
remember that the 1st DVD i made in Workshop didn't exhibit that
behavior so i will try and see what i did differently.

-Pr.

PS. MAybe it has to do with the "Locate I-Frame" thing.

I was thinking it would possibly be the Locate I-Frame checkbox, but I haven't ever touched it and only recently have I noticed this strange problem. But I will give that a shot tonite.

On a side note, I decided to give MF2 another try even though I hate having it dictate that I must have a "Movie" menu in order to get to the Chapters menu (annoying feature). So I decided I could live with just having chapters and NO menu. So I "auto-added" the chapters, started to write the VIDEO_TS directory and at the end it tells me 'Some chapter entry frame numbers exceed the total frames' and then it fails. doh....

So it looks like I'm going downhill on my DVD creations :)

ninsei

spinxter
03-06-2003, 09:37 PM

If you are using DVD MovieFactory, Edit DVDMF.INI
Change :

PlayAC3=0
DecodeAC3=0

To :

PlayAC3=1
DecodeAC3=1

The first time it tells you that AC3 isn't supported, just tell it
not to tell you again.

How come this works for everyone but me? Every time I edit the .ini file and save it, Movie Factory changes the values back to 0. I can even change the file while MF is open, and then if I close it then open it again the values are back to 0. Is there a trick I'm missing?

DeTer
03-06-2003, 09:41 PM
can someone point me in the right direction? I have searched but no luck
Thx
DeTer

Pr.Sinister
03-07-2003, 09:34 AM
can someone point me in the right direction? I have searched but no luck
Thx
DeTer

I had upped it to Wes' FTP... But the FTP info is not in the
sticky anymore...

-Pr.

bato
03-07-2003, 09:50 AM
bato

I have been following the new instructions as posted on march 3 or 4. I am using dvd workshop 1.2 & tmpgenc. I tried the menus in workshop and they looked great. When i burned it it plays as i would like, bvut i don't have the detail of the menus. when i arrow around the menu i only get a highlighted square, no picture or text.

DeTer
That's strange, sorry I can't help you with that, maybe there is a problem with 1.2, I'm using 1.3 now, try upgrading and changing background.

bato
03-07-2003, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by spinxter
How come this works for everyone but me? Every time I edit the .ini file and save it, Movie Factory changes the values back to 0. I can even change the file while MF is open, and then if I close it then open it again the values are back to 0. Is there a trick I'm missing?
What I changed was:

AskShowUnsupportAC3=0
this stops the nag to show. The other 2 values you can keep them at what you want if you right clic the file, then properties and select read only attribute, in theory with those options you can hear AC3 audio in the preview window (I don't care, as long as the program don't show the nag and burn DVD ok).

RxMan
03-07-2003, 09:55 AM
Could you upload 1.3 to my FTP server?
I will pm you the details. Then I can share the file with Deter as well. He has experience with my FTP server. :)

Pr.Sinister
03-07-2003, 10:51 AM
I will pm you the details. Then I can share the file with Deter as well. He has experience with my FTP server. :)

Actually it is also on my FTP server and your account is still
active.

-Pr.

RxMan
03-07-2003, 12:03 PM
I'll get it later today.

THANKS.

ronnythunder
03-07-2003, 02:28 PM
ok i think i have the 411 on the vob patching deal (this is all dtivo; i don't extract from sa)

all headers in files ripped from dtivo are 480x480 15mb. dvd mf and other tools don't like that, so that's why we patch, to get the tools to import the file.

now we patch the vob back to 480x480 after they are created to fix the "problem" we created.

the tools try to make fewer, large vobs (about 1gb), and if you have just one show, the first header in the vob is your show and thats all you need to patch. however, if you have multiple shows, say, 4 shows at 500mb each, youll have 2 vobs at 1gb each, but you have four "bad" (352x480 3.5mb) headers embedded inside the vobs.

this is why you need to patch all headers of the big vobs if you have multiple shows. if you only have one show, the first header will do.

make sense?

ronny

BubbleLamp
03-07-2003, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by ronnythunder
ok i think i have the 411 on the vob patching deal (this is all dtivo; i don't extract from sa)

all headers in files ripped from dtivo are 480x480 15mb. dvd mf and other tools don't like that, so that's why we patch, to get the tools to import the file.

now we patch the vob back to 480x480 after they are created to fix the "problem" we created.

the tools try to make fewer, large vobs (about 1gb), and if you have just one show, the first header in the vob is your show and thats all you need to patch. however, if you have multiple shows, say, 4 shows at 500mb each, youll have 2 vobs at 1gb each, but you have four "bad" (352x480 3.5mb) headers embedded inside the vobs.

this is why you need to patch all headers of the big vobs if you have multiple shows. if you only have one show, the first header will do.

make sense?

ronny

That's what Bato, Pr.S and I have said, several times I think.

ronnythunder
03-07-2003, 03:21 PM
That's what Bato, Pr.S and I have said, several times I think. :p thanks..

i know it's been said, i was just explaining the details of why.

ronny

DeTer
03-07-2003, 05:21 PM
RxMan

That an under statement if i ever heard one. :D Thx i'll look for it later, have to go for some wings & beer now. Now I did have good luck with MF and created an awsome Seinfeld DvD with menus. The i tried it with some Sopranos and it keeps dieing at the same point giving me this error " Some Chapter entry frame numbers exceed the total frames" then closes. I thought maybe the files were ac3 but I checked and they are all layerII. Anyone with any Ideas?

thx
DeTer

ninsei
03-07-2003, 05:51 PM
I have the same problem with MF2 "Some chapter entry frame numbers exceed total frames". Went searching through the Ulead boards and found a few people with the same problem. End result:

1. Some people say if you delete the last chapter it will work (kind of dumb).
2. Some people say that one of your mpgs is corrupt (possible).

I've tried the "delete the last chapter" concept, and it has worked on 1/2 of my attempts. However, this leads you with a movie with a really long last chapter which is counter intuitive. I believe it has something to do with MF2 thinks the mpg is shorter than the chapters are set. The total length of my mpg is 1:18 when in fact the movie is 1:31 ...(another reason why i think this happens)... Overall, its annoying :)

ninsei

RxMan

That an under statement if i ever heard one. :D Thx i'll look for it later, have to go for some wings & beer now. Now I did have good luck with MF and created an awsome Seinfeld DvD with menus. The i tried it with some Sopranos and it keeps dieing at the same point giving me this error " Some Chapter entry frame numbers exceed the total frames" then closes. I thought maybe the files were ac3 but I checked and they are all layerII. Anyone with any Ideas?

thx
DeTer

Pr.Sinister
03-07-2003, 07:12 PM
I have the same problem with MF2 "Some chapter entry frame numbers exceed total frames". Went searching through the Ulead boards and found a few people with the same problem. End result:

1. Some people say if you delete the last chapter it will work (kind of dumb).
2. Some people say that one of your mpgs is corrupt (possible).

I've tried the "delete the last chapter" concept, and it has worked on 1/2 of my attempts. However, this leads you with a movie with a really long last chapter which is counter intuitive. I believe it has something to do with MF2 thinks the mpg is shorter than the chapters are set. The total length of my mpg is 1:18 when in fact the movie is 1:31 ...(another reason why i think this happens)... Overall, its annoying :)

ninsei

All the more reasons to use DVD Workshop instead of Movie Factory.

You also have more control over your menus in Workshop.

-Pr.

Tiros
03-07-2003, 09:35 PM
Ronny,

Is there anyway to force the tools (DVDMF?) to split the .vobs at each video insertion point?

lc204
03-08-2003, 01:07 AM
I'm just wondering, I have 8 400Meg episodes that I patched and imported into DVD Workshop. I'm thinking they should all fit on one dvd. When I create the VOB files, it takes about 4 hours. Is it suppose to take this long or am I doing something wrong? When I check the the size of the final output, its almost twice as big than the original. Is this normal?

bato
03-08-2003, 01:35 AM
Originally posted by lc204
I'm just wondering, I have 8 400Meg episodes that I patched and imported into DVD Workshop. I'm thinking they should all fit on one dvd. When I create the VOB files, it takes about 4 hours. Is it suppose to take this long or am I doing something wrong? When I check the the size of the final output, its almost twice as big than the original. Is this normal?
It is not normal, it should take just minutes (5-15), if you just patch to 352x480 and not bitrate 3.5 you get this (and with other options also) what it is doing in those 4 hours is transcoding the video and that is what we want to avoid at all costs.

captain_video
03-08-2003, 02:03 PM
Here I go playing Devil's advocate again. I finally decided to try DVD Workshop 1.3 for my next DVD project. I went through all the steps using Tytool6r3 and GOPEditor to create an mpg file and imported it into DVDWS. So far, so good. More steps than I'm used to but nothing difficult. I'll give the batch file a shot next time around but I figured I'd tackle one new piece of software at a time. I kept the project simple. I'm compiling the movie "Simone" so I only trimmed the opening segment of the DTV intro. No other editing was performed. The soundtrack is standard mpeg layer II.

One thing I'm seeing is that when trying to navigate through the video clip using the slider seems painfully slow. There is an enormous lag time between using the slider and actually seeing any change in the displayed scene, usually in the neighborhood of 10-15 seconds. I'm using an Athlon XP 1600+ CPU (1.4GHz) with 512MB RAM and a 60GB 7200rpm hard drive running Win2K. According to the Ulead website, this far exceeds the minimum system requirements.

Based on the fact that the software appears to be extremely sluggish, I'm guessing that my system may not meet the practical minimum for using this software. I would have been finished compiling the DVD project in SpruceUp by now but I'm still slogging through trying to create a menu in DVDWS. I'm sure part of that is attributable to being low on the learning curve with the program but I sat through Pr Sinister's DVDWS Tutorial (absolutely outstanding job on this; I'd love to see more of this type of tutorial on other software being discussed here) and it doesn't seem to be very difficult to use.

Is anyone else experiencing such slow response times when using DVDWS? I know that importing the mpg takes time as I was forewarned about it (sort of offsets the amount of time to import files into SpruceUp & Maestro) but I'm finding its sluggish behaviour to be completely unacceptable, not to mention impractical.

For some strange reason, DVDWS is only showing the mpg file as being about 1 hour, 33 minutes in duration. I played the same mpg file in Cinemaster2K and it is over 2 hours long. DVDWS has cropped of the last 30 minutes of the movie! I saved the project so I could open up Cinemaster and it took me over 10 minutes to open it back up in DVDWS. This is my first attempt at using DVDWS and I am not pleased with what I'm seeing.

I can only guess that I'm not doing something correctly but I double checked all of my procedures against the various instructions and tutorials and I can't find anything I might be doing wrong. Can anyone shed any light as to why this program is so sluggish? I can only surmise that my system is simply not powerful enought to handle video processing using commercially available software. Ironically, it works great with SpruceUp and DVD Maestro.

Anyone got any suggestions (be nice)?

BubbleLamp
03-08-2003, 02:38 PM
Here I go playing Devil's advocate again. I finally decided to try DVD Workshop 1.3 for my next DVD project. I went through all the steps using Tytool6r3 and GOPEditor to create an mpg file and imported it into DVDWS.

Did you patch the headers to 352x480 before trying to use them in DVDWS?

captain_video
03-08-2003, 02:50 PM
Yessir, I did. The files play OK in DVDWS, at least as well as is expected based on previous posts (i.e. the video is slightly skrunched but otherwise plays fine). It's just that the use of DVDWS for simple tasks is painfully slow. I haven't seen any other posts complaining about this which is why I'm either not doing something correctly or my system just doesn't have enough muscle.

Pr.Sinister
03-08-2003, 04:38 PM
Well importing files is definately what i hate the most about
it. Version 1.2 was at least 5 times faster than 1.3 in that respect.

The slider is also a bit sluggish but for me it's only 2-3 seconds
of lag time. I'm not sure why you are experiencing such lag
because i'm not even doing this on a fast machine. My DVD
burning machine is a PIII-933 MHz w/512M RAM. Althought my
system drive (Windows XP) is a 7200 RPM Ultra-160 SCSI drive,
the mpegs reside on a 3 year old 5400 RPM IDE drive. Even the
video card is just a Matrox G400 Max.

Once the MPEGS are imported, it takes me about 2 minutes
to create my DVD and start creating the VOBs.

For example, the full 9 episodes of I Love The '80s could fit on
3 DVDs. 1980 to 1983 took me about 4 minutes to create menus
with impoted jpegs as thumbnails, and creating a resizing frames
and linking everything. 1984 to 1986 took about 1˝ minute cause
i had to re-arrange the button positions and 1987 to 1989 was
less than a minute.

If i have to create menus out of thumbnails from the clips, i would
say it is about a 5 minute process.

I can't figure out why it's so slow for you... It's weird.

Obviously it isn't as fast as SpruceUp to navigate through the
MPEGs but overall i like it better for the finished product i can
get. AND it takes the output of GopEditor/TyTool without EVER
having to worry about Temporal Refrence Errors and all...

:)

-Pr.

bato
03-08-2003, 05:25 PM
From what jdiner posted:

Anyway, here it is. This version corrects AFAIK the rest of the audio bugs. Should be no more popping, skipping, or just plain no audio.
I believe jdiner fixed some other problem and not the one we have after importing the resulting mpg in MovieFactory 2, I just tested vsplitmux2c and tytool6r3 and the problem we have is still there (lost sync at cut point in the resulting VOB).

So if jdiner read this the problem we have is:
a) the mpg output from your tools (or m2v with muxed audio) when played with PowerDVD perfect sync all the way. This is good.
b) when imported into another tool and then process them into VOBs the VOB when played with PowerDVD keep perfect sync until first cut, then the video freezes and audio keeps going (for the amount of video cut) then video resumes with audio without sync for about Xmin (the cut).
Anything you can do so we don't need to use TMPGEnc?
Thanks for your work, and if you need any testing in my side I'm happy to help.

bato
03-08-2003, 05:42 PM
jdiner:

I used MPEG2Cut to clip just the cut change from the MPG file from your tools and same frames from the VOB that MovieFactory2 created, so you can see exactly what I'm trying to say.

The first clip (cut-from-mpg.mpg) is 7,239,698 bytes (7MB) and keep perfect sync.

The second clip (cut-from-vob.mpg) is 11,960,338 bytes (12MB) and all that extra size is audio that keeps playing when the video stops in the cut and then continue.

Tell me where I can upload the clips if they are of any help.

ronnythunder
03-08-2003, 06:15 PM
Ronny,

Is there anyway to force the tools (DVDMF?) to split the .vobs at each video insertion point? good ? i'll have to look into that. however, i don't think patching all of the headers is a problem, just a little time consuming.

ronny

ninsei
03-08-2003, 10:15 PM
Cptn Video,

I think that DVDWS is slower for longer videos when trying to seek through the video. I noticed that PR's videos are TV shows, prolly, 30 mins if there are no cuts.. 30 min mpgs might seek much faster than 2 gig movies...Whereas your example is a full length movie (Simone). I too, use DVDWS for movies and I do notice it does lag a bit, however, not as badly as yours. I do, however, have a 2.0 Ghz P4..

To make things faster for me, I just put in chapter stops every 5 mins which means all I do is put in the time value instead of seeking.. I find this much faster than seeking through the video using the slider.

I tried SpruceUp and found that its too picky on temporal reference errors and just quits. DVDWS does have a strange thing where thumbnails don't match the actual chapter stops.

MF2 can't create a VOB because the chapter stops are past the last frame error. IfoEdit, when creating chapter stops, causes my Sony DVD player to freak out at chapter stops.

So I guess I can't win, I have to use DVDWS and live with the chapter stops not matching the menu. Its the best I can offer at this point..

If anyone finds a better method to create chapter stops on movies that have been cut, let me know..

ninsei

captain_video
03-08-2003, 10:56 PM
I've pretty much gotten around the temporal reference errors to the point where they're no longer a factor so SpruceUp doesn't choke on them anymore. The latest iterations of tytool seem to be able to fix these errors as well as tydemux (when used in conjunction with older versions of tytool).

I have the same problem with chapter stops using IfoEdit. The display on my Sony DVD player just toggles between two different garbeled displays and the video freezes randomly when I try to skip chapters.

I've only tried DVDWS with one movie so far and I plan on further experimentation before I give up on it. It does look like a nice program and definitely has a lot of potential. I generally use SpruceUp for burning PPV movies to DVD as it provides all the flexibility I need for that purpose. If it weren't for the fact that I like to author the movie with a title menu and chapter stops I'd probably use IfoEdit for most of my authoring chores (naah, probably not). I like the fact that I can import the extracted and split files into SpruceUp without going through all of the gyrations of muxing and reencoding the audio and various other operations that everyone keeps coming up with.

I like to adhere to the KISS principle. Some of the authoring methods being developed are waaaay too complex and don't yield any better results than I can get in a fraction of the time and effort with SpruceUp. I know jdiner and others think SpruceUp is crap but the bottom line is that it works for me with minimal muss and fuss and produces DVDs that are virtually indistinguishable from the original DTV signal.

DVDWS would be great to use if I was interested in creating keepsake DVDs. Since I burn all of my movies to DVD-RW, I watch them once and then erase them. With all of the shows I record on my DTivo, I just don't have the time to watch a movie more than once anyway so there's no need for creating a permanent DVD witrh fancy menus. I can see where this would really be a nice feature for archiving home movies to DVD. I've got almost 20 years worth of home videos that I should probably think about transferring to DVD if I ever find the time.

I definitely want to experiment with DVDWS some more, especially with shows containing commercials. I like the idea of being able to edit out unwanted video segments with the latest tytool and GOPEditor. I just wish I could import it back into SpruceUp or Maestro after I completed the editing process.

ninsei
03-08-2003, 11:45 PM
I agree with your KISS principle.. Thats my goal as well, however, I guess I have different requirements. I want to create from a movie pulled from my Dtivo with just chapter stops every 3 minutes or so. I don't need fancy menus (though I can have them). I just want a way to move through a movie quickly without FF.

I want the easiest way to get from a movie from the DTivo, chop off the beginning stuff, chop off the end stuff, create chapter points (no menu), create VOBs, and then burn.

So far, DVDWS is the only compatible way I know of doing so without error. As mentioned before, I've tried MF2, SpruceUp and IfoEdit, each with its own set of problems.

I think the main problem is when I cut the beginning and end, thats when the problems start. I don't think I have any issue if I don't choose to cut them off. But I don't like the idea of having some commercial that I have to chapter skip across to start the movie.

ninsei

RxMan
03-09-2003, 12:01 AM
Since I burn all of my movies to DVD-RW, I watch them once and then erase them

What is the point of even going to DVD and then erasing if all you want is to watch one time?

captain_video
03-09-2003, 01:29 AM
I burn them to DVD-RW because I never know when I'll get around to watching a movie I've recorded. I like to be able to watch it when I want and not be forced to watch it or delete it just to make room for more recordings on the hard drive. By transferring them to DVD, I always have a library of movies to watch and still have plenty of room on my DTivos for recording my season passes. I usually have about 50 or so movies ready to watch at any given time. Think of it as an extension of my hard drive for timeshifting. Even though I may only watch them once, I lend them to friends and family and then erase them when they've made their way back to me.

DVD authoring software is kind of like the car you drive. Everyone has their own personal preferences as to what they'd like it to do. For me, SpruceUp is like a basic commuter car that gets me to my destination without a lot of frills but gets the job done nonetheless. DVDWS and some of the other high-end programs used in conjunction with extracted tystreams are more like an old Jaguar or MG. Great cars but they require a lot of tweaking for everything to run right.

ronnythunder
03-09-2003, 01:52 AM
ninsei, have you tried movie factory? not as fancy as ws and it doesn't try to outsmart you as much.

as far as the probs with the mpgs, did you try doing a simple mux in tmpgenc? it's weird, but it's needed sometime. when i want to whack commercials, here's my steps:

ty -> vsplitmux -k -> gopeditor -> vsplitmux -c -m -> tmpgenc simple mux -> dvdpatcher -> ulead movie factory -> dvdpatcher -> nero

(i posted this in another thread, but i think i forgot the tmpgenc that time and the second dvdpatcher)

it seems dumb, the mux goes from an already muxed file to an already muxed file, but it fixes something.

ronny

ninsei
03-09-2003, 03:10 AM
ronnythunder,

Thanks for the suggestion. I went ahead and tried it on "About a Boy" that I pulled from my DTivo. Added your step to Simple Mux the already muxed output from vsplitmux. patched and then ran it through MF2 with auto chapters every 3 minutes. Same result. "chapter exceeds maximum number of frames" and then quits...

ninsei

Originally posted by ronnythunder
ninsei, have you tried movie factory? not as fancy as ws and it doesn't try to outsmart you as much.

as far as the probs with the mpgs, did you try doing a simple mux in tmpgenc? it's weird, but it's needed sometime. when i want to whack commercials, here's my steps:

ty -> vsplitmux -k -> gopeditor -> vsplitmux -c -m -> tmpgenc simple mux -> dvdpatcher -> ulead movie factory -> dvdpatcher -> nero

(i posted this in another thread, but i think i forgot the tmpgenc that time and the second dvdpatcher)

it seems dumb, the mux goes from an already muxed file to an already muxed file, but it fixes something.

ronny

ronnythunder
03-09-2003, 06:26 AM
interesting. i'll try "about a boy" from my dtivo and see if i get the same

ronny

larray
03-09-2003, 10:52 AM
Pr.Sinister

Could you give me a hint on how you got a DVDWS.ini for Ulead DVD Workstation 1.3? I've done a complete re-install from v 1.0 and upgraded through 1.2 and 1.3. Short of that could you please document what is in yours and where it is located so that maybe I can replicate it... The only INI I have is u32comm.ini in the root "Ulead DVD Workshop" folder.

Thanks!

captain_video
03-09-2003, 12:38 PM
Run a search on your hard drive in Windows Explorer to find your DVDWS.ini file. It's there but you'll have to look for it.

larray
03-09-2003, 01:00 PM
Run a search on your hard drive in Windows Explorer to find your DVDWS.ini file. It's there but you'll have to look for it.

The only reference i can find to it on my entire hard drive is in u32comm.ini under the [Info] section:
AppIni=DVDWS.ini.

I have turned my hard drive inside out, upside down, and backwards. (on 2 boxes, and installed it on a laptop just to be sure I wasn't completly witless).

I'm telling you, it isn't there! (grin)

I've looked in the 2 places I've seen referenced on this board and the internet:
c:\program files\Ulead Systems\Ulead DVD Workshop\1.0 (which doesn't exist on my computer(s))
and
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Ulead Systems\Ulead DVD Workshop\1.0 (which also doesn't exist on my computer(s))

I'm running Windows XP, and I've got the search settings wide open for the entire drive c:\, hidden files and folders exposed, extensions for known file types on, etc. (I may be new to video editing and Tivo extraction, but I know my way around a computer fortunatly -grin).

Thus my request for someone to post their dvdws.ini and it's location... my appreciation in advance.

BTW - Are you running any extra hardware for capture that's exposed to DVDWS? I'm thinking that may play into it, since I have none... just a hunch.

Pr.Sinister
03-09-2003, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by larray
Pr.Sinister

Could you give me a hint on how you got a DVDWS.ini for Ulead DVD Workstation 1.3? I've done a complete re-install from v 1.0 and upgraded through 1.2 and 1.3. Short of that could you please document what is in yours and where it is located so that maybe I can replicate it... The only INI I have is u32comm.ini in the root "Ulead DVD Workshop" folder.

Thanks!

If you are under Windows 2000 or Windows XP, it should be
under C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Ulead Systems\Ulead DVD Workshop\1.0

If you don't see Application Data, you have Windows set to not
display hidden files and directories.

To fix that, in Windows Explorer, go to Tools | Folder Options | View
and select the radio button for Show hidden files an folders

-Pr.

Pr.Sinister
03-09-2003, 01:17 PM
Cptn Video,

I think that DVDWS is slower for longer videos when trying to seek through the video. I noticed that PR's videos are TV shows, prolly, 30 mins if there are no cuts.. 30 min mpgs might seek much faster than 2 gig movies...Whereas your example is a full length movie (Simone). I too, use DVDWS for movies and I do notice it does lag a bit, however, not as badly as yours. I do, however, have a 2.0 Ghz P4..

To make things faster for me, I just put in chapter stops every 5 mins which means all I do is put in the time value instead of seeking.. I find this much faster than seeking through the video using the slider.

In my tutorial i was using 3, 1.2 to 1.5 gig files. They were HBO
hour-long stand up comedy acts with DD Audio.

I also prefer using the specific times instead of the the slider.

But one thing i'm not sure you are doing right is the chapter thumbnails.

I noticed that the thumbnails are not what you see in the TV of
DVD Workshop but the ones on the filmstrip are the ones i used
when making movie DVD's. And when i played them on my DVD
player, the thumbnail was pointing to the right place in the movie.

I'll do some more tests and let you know what i figure out with that.

-Pr.

larray
03-09-2003, 01:38 PM
Pr.Sinister -

Knowing where the file is - that was half the battle.
Having a stable system to look at was the other half.

One tends to shoot ones self in the foot when running too fast with a loaded weapon (grin).

Once I looked at my stable system in the folder you suggested instead of the "Program Files" folder all was well. The stupid Explorer search couldn't even find it though.

Another quick question if i may... if you have a .m2v file that you have multiplexed with a .AC3 file - take the whole shebang into DVDWS.... does DVDWS do any conversion on the video or audio?

I'm running a test right now and it appears that it is trying to... but it may be because I was trying it without any patching whatsoever (and this is a 480x480). My 352x480 files work flawlessly.

Thanks!

Pr.Sinister
03-09-2003, 01:43 PM
Pr.Sinister -

Knowing where the file is - that was half the battle.
Having a stable system to look at was the other half.

One tends to shoot ones self in the foot when running too fast with a loaded weapon (grin).

Once I looked at my stable system in the folder you suggested instead of the "Program Files" folder all was well. The stupid Explorer search couldn't even find it though.

Another quick question if i may... if you have a .m2v file that you have multiplexed with a .AC3 file - take the whole shebang into DVDWS.... does DVDWS do any conversion on the video or audio?

I'm running a test right now and it appears that it is trying to... but it may be because I was trying it without any patching whatsoever (and this is a 480x480). My 352x480 files work flawlessly.

Thanks!

If you patch to 352x480, it won't transcode. And the AC3 audio
will work.

-Pr.

larray
03-09-2003, 01:51 PM
If you patch to 352x480, it won't transcode. And the AC3 audio
will work.

-Pr.

Just curious - why 352x480 and not 720x480? I do know that 352x480 works for the video that I have recorded that way (and man is it fast). Why not 720 though to patch the first frame?

I'll try on my own I guess once this round is complete... just wanted to know if you had a science behind it.

BubbleLamp
03-09-2003, 01:56 PM
Just curious - why 352x480 and not 720x480? I do know that 352x480 works for the video that I have recorded that way (and man is it fast). Why not 720 though to patch the first frame?

I'll try on my own I guess once this round is complete... just wanted to know if you had a science behind it.

352x480 is smaller, so you get full screen. If you do 720x480, you'll have blank spaces on the edges.

larray
03-09-2003, 02:05 PM
Last thing to deal with...

I've used these excellent guides to get video off the Tivo that was 480x480 (SA series 1).

Patched to 352.

Ran through DVDWS.

Patched VOB back to 352.

Testing in PowerDVD the first frame is "mangled" with pixilation. How hard would it be to take the inital m2v file and add a black frame to it where all of the "patching" fakeout can take place and not affect the real video? And how might I go about doing it? The only thing I can think of is extract a black frame with GOP editor, then merge with TMPGEnc. Any other suggestions?

captain_video
03-09-2003, 05:39 PM
Never mind. Someone already posted my response.

DeTer
03-10-2003, 08:46 AM
1st off thanks for pointing out where the .ini file was. I looked and didn't find it until i seen this post.
2nd now when i look at my ini file for WS it doesn't have the reference to PlayAC3=0 I will post the ini below

[HardwareAcc]
ForceUsingDVAcm=1
ReadByDS=IYUV,JPGL
[MPEGVIO]
mpegdll0=uvMPEG2.dll
AudioReadBuffer=1
SimpleGeneralPage=1
MPEGActiveDriverNum=1
MPEGActiveDriverName=Ulead MPEG vio Driver,
[VIODRIVER]
UleadVideoPlay=1
UleadVideoDecoder=1
UleadAudioPlay=1
UleadAudioDecoder=1
UseOnlineMuxing=1
MotionEstimate=20
[CAPTURE_SETTING]
ReadyToCaptureDelayTime=500
[VIOMAN_OpenOpt]
AutoPlay=0
Mute=0

Now can I just add the line to my ini file and save it? when I look at MF it has the reference to the PlayAC3=0 and DecodeAC3=0 but there is no reference in the WS ini.
thx
DeTer

The only reference i can find to it on my entire hard drive is in u32comm.ini under the [Info] section:
AppIni=DVDWS.ini.

I have turned my hard drive inside out, upside down, and backwards. (on 2 boxes, and installed it on a laptop just to be sure I wasn't completly witless).

I'm telling you, it isn't there! (grin)

I've looked in the 2 places I've seen referenced on this board and the internet:
c:\program files\Ulead Systems\Ulead DVD Workshop\1.0 (which doesn't exist on my computer(s))
and
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Ulead Systems\Ulead DVD Workshop\1.0 (which also doesn't exist on my computer(s))

I'm running Windows XP, and I've got the search settings wide open for the entire drive c:\, hidden files and folders exposed, extensions for known file types on, etc. (I may be new to video editing and Tivo extraction, but I know my way around a computer fortunatly -grin).

Thus my request for someone to post their dvdws.ini and it's location... my appreciation in advance.

BTW - Are you running any extra hardware for capture that's exposed to DVDWS? I'm thinking that may play into it, since I have none... just a hunch.

captain_video
03-10-2003, 09:19 AM
What version of DVDWS are you running? The missing lines should be in the later versions of the DVDWS.ini file. I'd be surprised if WindowsXP requires a different ini file than other Win OSes but I could be wrong.

larray
03-10-2003, 09:38 AM
1st off thanks for pointing out where the .ini file was. I looked and didn't find it until i seen this post.
2nd now when i look at my ini file for WS it doesn't have the reference to PlayAC3=0 I will post the ini below

[HardwareAcc]
ForceUsingDVAcm=1
ReadByDS=IYUV,JPGL
[MPEGVIO]
mpegdll0=uvMPEG2.dll
AudioReadBuffer=1
SimpleGeneralPage=1
MPEGActiveDriverNum=1
MPEGActiveDriverName=Ulead MPEG vio Driver,
[VIODRIVER]
UleadVideoPlay=1
UleadVideoDecoder=1
UleadAudioPlay=1
UleadAudioDecoder=1
UseOnlineMuxing=1
MotionEstimate=20
[CAPTURE_SETTING]
ReadyToCaptureDelayTime=500
[VIOMAN_OpenOpt]
AutoPlay=0
Mute=0

I've got to agree with the Captain here... what version are you running? Once I upgraded through 1.3 I found the PlayAC3=0 in the [VIODRIVER] section right under MostionEstimate=20. (Windows XP)

DeTer
03-10-2003, 10:34 AM
I thought i was running version 1.3 now but after checking it I found that it was version 1.0. I missed upgrading to 1.3. I ran it and sure enough the PlayAC3=0 was there. Thx again for the help.
thx
DeTer

snoopy
03-12-2003, 02:36 AM
STEP 11: When you are finished, have Ulead create a VIDEO_TS folder.
Do not burn directly on a DVD. In Workshop, you will have to
customize the output. Customize it to : 352x480, Variable, MPEG
Audio. This should take about 15 minutes on a PIII-933 even if
Ulead says over an hour.

Can you clarify in greater detail, step 11 using DVD Workshop?

Thank you for a most helpfull post!

bato
03-12-2003, 04:34 AM
Originally posted by snoopy
Can you clarify in greater detail, step 11 using DVD Workshop?
Thank you for a most helpfull post!
In Workshop you have at top:
Start Capture Edit Menu Finish
select Finish, then you will have the option "Make Disc" and CD icon at left, clic there and a window will show some sets "High Quality, Fair Quality...", then select Customize..., it will show in General - Standard 720x480, change that to 352x480, then clic Compression Tab, change Constant to Variable and LPCM audio to MPEG, then OK, maybe will show a warning that MPEG audio is not standard for DVD ignore that.

Select Create DVD directory and Start. It will keep working for 15min, if for some reason take hours then it is reencoding the video and you need to check if you patched ok the files and you can also put a higher number in the step above, where you change Constant to Variable next there is a number (8000 normaly) you can change that to 9000, in some cases this work best.

After Workshop creates the directory I patch all headers to 480x480 from the VTS_01_x.VOBs

jdiner
03-13-2003, 10:30 PM
Honestly I figure it is the same group of people but I figured I would post this here this time.

I have started looking at what goes wrong with sync and why, and sure enough it explodes for me on the first try. I love things like that as once I can reprduce it I get started on fixing it.

Anyway, I have had a kind of a thought just now about the menus. Motion menus are nice, but they take space etc... on the DVD.

So any interested in a feature in GopEditor to produce jpg/bmp/whatever images from the keyframes in the editor. This would allow a nice menu at minimal space and effort.

Anyone interested? BTW, I am going to focus my attention in the other thread started by me. I don't want to clutter this howto thread with general TyTool talk, so please head over there with responses etc...

--jdiner

][ronMan
03-14-2003, 09:32 AM
In the last step I've been doing something different, and my DVDs are working on standalone players and my PC.

I pick "Make Disc"
Then I just pick the 2nd to last one, "High Quality (VBR Video, LPCM Audio)"

On the next dialog box I check
"Create DVD Directory"
and at the bottom:
check "Do not convert compliant file"
and uncheck the 2 boxes in "Add converted files to library"

I have tried this with lots of my DirecTivo streams as well as a standalone one which i converted the audio to 48K AC3 and this setting seems to work fine. Why are you (and others) picking a setting that appears to have to transcode sometimes? Thanks...

Derek aka ][ronMan aka DSmooth

In Workshop you have at top:
Start Capture Edit Menu Finish
select Finish, then you will have the option "Make Disc" and CD icon at left, clic there and a window will show some sets "High Quality, Fair Quality...", then select Customize..., it will show in General - Standard 720x480, change that to 352x480, then clic Compression Tab, change Constant to Variable and LPCM audio to MPEG, then OK, maybe will show a warning that MPEG audio is not standard for DVD ignore that.

Select Create DVD directory and Start. It will keep working for 15min, if for some reason take hours then it is reencoding the video and you need to check if you patched ok the files and you can also put a higher number in the step above, where you change Constant to Variable next there is a number (8000 normaly) you can change that to 9000, in some cases this work best.

After Workshop creates the directory I patch all headers to 480x480 from the VTS_01_x.VOBs

captain_video
03-14-2003, 11:43 AM
Josh,

That sounds like a cool feature to have. I routinely use the frame capture function in SpruceUp for creating menu backdrops. If there was some way to add text and buttons link them to chapters you'd have a hands-down winner.

bato
03-14-2003, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by ][ronMan
In the last step I've been doing something different, and my DVDs are working on standalone players and my PC.

I pick "Make Disc"

"Create DVD Directory"
and at the bottom:

I have tried this with lots of my DirecTivo streams as well as a standalone one which i converted the audio to 48K AC3 and this setting seems to work fine. Why are you (and others) picking a setting that appears to have to transcode sometimes? Thanks...

It never reencoded for me yet (over 20 tests), one person say it reencoded and needed to change to 9000. This is a good tip, because you say you tried this with lots of streams, so if Pr.Sinister check this maybe he can add the tip or change step 11.

This is what is all about, testing options and making easier and faster to create the final product. Then when we all have access to TyStudio (and not only the few posting pictures about it) we will have another option to create a DVD.

Thanks.

BubbleLamp
03-14-2003, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by ][ronMan

I pick "Make Disc"

"Create DVD Directory"
and at the bottom:

Your process works because you converted the audio. DVDWS doesn't like MPEG audio, so their presets aren't set to use it. You can create your own preset to the settings Pr.S said and save it, so you don't have to choose Custom each time. If your process to get to AC3 audio is a short one, I'd consider using it, since technically it'd be a slightly more compliant disc when done.

And yes, you MUST set the bit rate HIGHER than what the stream actually is, or it WILL transcode. 8001 for an 8K file works, so as long as it's higher, the number isn't important.

Immo
03-14-2003, 08:20 PM
Guys I have a quick question with regard to the VOB size coming out of DVDWS. I have saved about seven Jimmy Neutron cartoons for my kids on my DTIVO. I extracted them and cut them up real nice with Josh's tools. I followed Pr.'s guide to the letter.

The size of the seven mpeg prior to importing into DVDWS is about 200 meg a piece. After I bring them into DVDWS and set up chapters and menus and go to the save them on the hard drive it shows space needed as being ~7Gig. In addition, the save function goes on much longer than 15 min. for me. It either hangs or I stop it. I am running a watercooled AMD XP 2400+ processor so there should not be a problem outputing.

Now it appears to me that seven 15 minutes cartoons should not require this much space. I have run DVDPatcher on all the mpegs prior to loading them in DVDWS so they should not be blowing up in size. Is it normal to require this much space when you save the output to disk? How do you guys know how much should fit on one DVD? I must be missing something, I hope you guys can help me out.

Thanks
Immo

BubbleLamp
03-14-2003, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by Immo
Guys I have a quick question with regard to the VOB size coming out of DVDWS. I have saved about seven Jimmy Neutron cartoons for my kids on my DTIVO. I extracted them and cut them up real nice with Josh's tools. I followed Pr.'s guide to the letter.

The size of the seven mpeg prior to importing into DVDWS is about 200 meg a piece. After I bring them into DVDWS and set up chapters and menus and go to the save them on the hard drive it shows space needed as being ~7Gig. In addition, the save function goes on much longer than 15 min. for me. It either hangs or I stop it. I am running a watercooled AMD XP 2400+ processor so there should not be a problem outputing.

Now it appears to me that seven 15 minutes cartoons should not require this much space. I have run DVDPatcher on all the mpegs prior to loading them in DVDWS so they should not be blowing up in size. Is it normal to require this much space when you save the output to disk? How do you guys know how much should fit on one DVD? I must be missing something, I hope you guys can help me out.

Thanks
Immo

1) If the files aren't 352x480 or 720x480, it will transcode.
2) The bit rate you set in DVDWS must be higher than the source files or it will transcode.

I'll put $$ on #2.

bato
03-15-2003, 12:03 AM

If the files are 200MB you will need around 1.4GB for 7 cartoons.

If DVDWS say it needs more than 1.4GB then it is telling you that will transcode/reencode, taking a long time even in your 2400.

You will need to:
a) check that you are patching with DVDPatcher 1.05B the files to 352x480 at 3.5Mbit
b) make sure in step 11 that you put VBR and it is a high bitrate (8000 or so)
c) if you have MovieFactory2 (or download the trial) everytime you import a clip it will tell you in a bar how much space is needed, so you can check each file and found what is wrong (if all are 200MB every time you add 1 the bar will increment in 200MB more/less a little).

Immo
03-15-2003, 12:17 AM
Ok, I looked at the bitrate. I verified that I patched the first header only to 3.5 Mbit and a size 352x480 with DVDPatcher.

The mpeg file is 195mb. I run it through DVDWS and go through the custom settings and when I go to save the IFO to disk it says I need 1.3gb of space.

I have changed the bitrate to 8001 kbps for the Video Date Rate do I also need to change the mpeg Audio bit rate from the default 224 kbps during the custom settings step?

Or when I use DVDPatcher am I supposed to patch the whole mpeg to 353x480 at 3.5mbit instead of just the first header?

Or is there another area in DVDWS that I should be looking at to make sure the bitrate is higher than the incoming mpeg?

Thanks
Immo

bato
03-15-2003, 12:31 AM
Nope that's it, this is what I do: first header 352x480@3.5, DVDWS Make Disc - customize - General 352x480 - Compression VARIABLE 8000 kbps audio format MPEG, then warning about mpeg audio is not standard, clic yes, check Create DVD directory.

Just check again that you put Variable and change 8000 to 9000 just to try a new value.

Immo
03-15-2003, 01:15 AM
Ok, I have checked and checked again my customize output it is exactly as bato stated:

General 352x480 - Compression VARIABLE 8000 kbps audio format MPEG, then warning about mpeg audio is not standard, clic yes, check Create DVD directory.

So this is what I did. I have one mpg (~200mb) renamed from a freshly created m2v using Tytools6r3.

I attemped to take a straight ty with no gopedits to m2v
I attemped to take the same ty that was gopedited to m2v

Both m2v were saved and multiple copies were made for further testing.

One set of m2v's were renamed to mpg's I then proceeded to DVDpatch the first header of both to 352x480 at 3.5mbit. Both turned out to each need 1.3GB in DVDWS when I attempted to save.

I then proceeded to take two fresh copies of the m2v's rename them and patch the entire files with DVDpatch to 352x480 at 3.5mbit. Both turned out to each need 1.3GB in DVDWS when I attempted to save.

I then proceeded to take two fresh copies of of the m2v's rename them and run them through TMPGenc simple mux and then patch the first header with DVDpatch to 352x480 at 3.5mbit. Both turned out to need 1.3GB in DVDWS when I attempted to save.

I then figured perhaps it was a bad TY file so I extracted a different ty file and ran it through the works with the same result.

I have run out of tests, somehow the size of my mpg's are increasing but for life of me I don't know how. I am thinking either it is related to the particular show be recorded, Tytools6r3, or the version of DVDWS (demo - will pay if it works) that I am using. Or I am missing something really really stupid on my part.

I have put a m2v out on my FTP if NE1 wants to take a crack at it and prove that I am not going crazy or maybe I am :( .

bato
03-15-2003, 01:31 AM
I'll try to download it, can you check the about Workshop option and confirm that you are using 1.2 or 1.3, I believe 1.0 always reencode.

bato
03-15-2003, 01:37 AM
Can you edit step 9 and tell that MovieFactory 2 or DVDWorkshop 1.2 or 1.3 are needed? I believe MovieFactory 1 and DVDWorkshop 1 is a no go.

bato
03-15-2003, 03:58 AM
Downloaded the file "The Adventures of Jimmy Neutron- Boy Genius--6.ty.mpg" from your server, checked and it say 480x480@15 so I patch it to 352x480@3.5, imported in MovieFactory2 and say that space needed is 185MB (your file is 182MB), in DVDWorkshop 1.2 trial it say that space needed is 182.8MB, here is a screen capture of it.

ronnythunder
03-15-2003, 04:12 AM
Patched VOB back to 352. that's part of your problem. you need to patch the vobs to 480x480, and patch all headers, not just the first one.

ronny

Immo
03-15-2003, 11:09 AM
Can you edit step 9 and tell that MovieFactory 2 or DVDWorkshop 1.2 or 1.3 are needed? I believe MovieFactory 1 and DVDWorkshop 1 is a no go.

Thanks Bato that is good news :D

I checked the version it is 1.2 trial. I noticed something interesting in your post you said you patched it to 352x480@15 from 480x480@15. I have always patched it 352x480@3.5. In addition just to confirm did you just patch the first header or the whole file?

Thanks,
Immo

bato
03-15-2003, 11:22 AM
I checked the version it is 1.2 trial. I noticed something interesting in your post you said you patched it to 352x480@15 from 480x480@15. I have always patched it 352x480@3.5. In addition just to confirm did you just patch the first header or the whole file?
Sorry it was late, I patched first header only to 352x480@3.5, I just edited my post.

This is strange, I used 1.2 trial with your file and the result was ok. I don't know what else to try, sorry :(

fredisdead
03-15-2003, 01:30 PM
Pr. Sinister:

I took your advice and have been working with DVDWS on gopedited files.

Everything is pretty smooth except the issue noted earlier in this thread about the thumbnails not matching the preview image when using set chapter thumbnail or attempting to save an image to the image library.

Has there been any progress on understanding this behaviour or a fix?

Fred

Immo
03-15-2003, 07:34 PM
Sorry it was late, I patched first header only to 352x480@3.5, I just edited my post.

This is strange, I used 1.2 trial with your file and the result was ok. I don't know what else to try, sorry :(

Bato, I found the problem the difference is that you are using DVD MovieMaker 2 and I was using DVDWorkshop.

I downloaded DVDMoviemaker2 and imported the exact same Jimmy Neutron file :D. Guess what? DVDMoviemaker read it perfectly as 182mb file versus the same file in DVDWS which said it needed 1.3gb to make a DVD. Go figure, I can't explain it but there is obviously a differance in how the two programs read the file.

Thanks for all your help, maybe Pr. Sinister might want to add a small note about weird file size in DVDWS versus DVDMM in case anyone else is having problems.

bato
03-15-2003, 08:08 PM
Bato, I found the problem the difference is that you are using DVD MovieMaker 2 and I was using DVDWorkshop.

I downloaded DVDMoviemaker2 and imported the exact same Jimmy Neutron file :D. Guess what? DVDMoviemaker read it perfectly as 182mb file versus the same file in DVDWS which said it needed 1.3gb to make a DVD. Go figure, I can't explain it but there is obviously a differance in how the two programs read the file.

Thanks for all your help, maybe Pr. Sinister might want to add a small note about weird file size in DVDWS versus DVDMM in case anyone else is having problems.
Actualy I tested your file with MovieFactory2 and DVDWorkshop 1.2 trial, and I said MF2 say it will need 185MB and DVDWS1.2 say 182.8 and included a screen capture on that DVDWS1.2 screen.

So now that you make it work with MF2 please upgrade to DVDWorkshop 1.3 and make the same test, maybe there is a .dll updated that stop reencoding on this file and you don't have it on your system (wild guess).

Immo
03-16-2003, 11:33 AM
Actualy I tested your file with MovieFactory2 and DVDWorkshop 1.2 trial, and I said MF2 say it will need 185MB and DVDWS1.2 say 182.8 and included a screen capture on that DVDWS1.2 screen.

So now that you make it work with MF2 please upgrade to DVDWorkshop 1.3 and make the same test, maybe there is a .dll updated that stop reencoding on this file and you don't have it on your system (wild guess).

Bato, I can not find the WS 1.3 upgrade available on the Ulead FTP. Is their particular file I should look for?

Immo

Immo
03-16-2003, 11:40 AM
The file upgrade patch is called "DWS_SYNC-Patch.exe" it is found on the Ulead FTP site at

ftp://ftp2.ulead.com/pub/

Look in patches or uprgades under worskshop.

My file now reads the mpg correctly in both MM & WS.

Thanks Bato.

bato
03-16-2003, 11:59 AM
The file upgrade patch is called "DWS_SYNC-Patch.exe" it is found on the Ulead FTP site at

ftp://ftp2.ulead.com/pub/

Look in patches or uprgades under worskshop.

My file now reads the mpg correctly in both MM & WS.

Thanks Bato.
Nice find Immo, is great that that patch can be applied to 1.2 trial.

Hey Pr.Sinister, how about a note in your step by step? Not that I want you to work :D

So far every person I read in this thread is able to do DVDs with menus with MovieFactory2, Workshop 1.2 (patched) and Workshop 1.3. This is great!

Pr.Sinister
03-16-2003, 08:34 PM
Nice find Immo, is great that that patch can be applied to 1.2 trial.

Hey Pr.Sinister, how about a note in your step by step? Not that I want you to work :D

So far every person I read in this thread is able to do DVDs with menus with MovieFactory2, Workshop 1.2 (patched) and Workshop 1.3. This is great!

What do you want me to put? I'm not sure...

Also, did you notice that Ulead removed the 1.3 Upgrade from
their site? They say it'll be back up soon. I have a feeling that
it will be a different patch. Maybe it'll fix the issue of importing
files takes so long. If you try 1.0, it's very fast at importing.

-Pr.

bato
03-16-2003, 09:02 PM
What do you want me to put? I'm not sure...

Also, did you notice that Ulead removed the 1.3 Upgrade from
their site? They say it'll be back up soon. I have a feeling that
it will be a different patch. Maybe it'll fix the issue of importing
files takes so long. If you try 1.0, it's very fast at importing.

-Pr.
Step 9, but I see you already changed it with versions needed for this to work. You are fast :)

So Immo 1.2 is no longer supported by this step by step, ok? :D

riking
03-22-2003, 09:26 PM
Hi all,

I have followed the steps from Pr. Sinister and I am able to make a dvd-r that plays just fine in PowerDVD on my PC, but I cannot get it to play in my Sony NS-DV715P home DVD player.

The Sony immediately says 'cannot play disc'

I'm not sure what is wrong. Could someone suggest something to try? Sorry for the newbie post.

BubbleLamp
03-22-2003, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by riking
Hi all,

I have followed the steps from Pr. Sinister and I am able to make a dvd-r that plays just fine in PowerDVD on my PC, but I cannot get it to play in my Sony NS-DV715P home DVD player.

The Sony immediately says 'cannot play disc'

I'm not sure what is wrong. Could someone suggest something to try? Sorry for the newbie post.

I have the exact same player, and the DVD's I've burned using that process play just fine on it. I've tried DVD-RW, DVD+RW, and DVD+R. I haven't done a DVD-R disc yet. Could it be poor quality media? I'd try to burn the same image to a rewriteable and see if it plays.

riking
03-22-2003, 10:55 PM
Update:

I tried a newer version of Nero (5.5.10.7); as I was using v5.5.9.14 before. I also tried using a DVD-RW instead of a DVD-R. Now, the DVD plays fine on my Sony, but I cannot play it in PowerDVD.

PowerDVD is complaining about not finding a copy protection key!

I tried downloading some region-free DVD software layer (DVD region-free v1.5), but it doesn't do anything when I try to launch it???

Anyway, I'm going to try a DVD-R with this version of Nero and see if I get the same results.

Pr.Sinister
03-22-2003, 11:24 PM
Update:

I tried a newer version of Nero (5.5.10.7); as I was using v5.5.9.14 before. I also tried using a DVD-RW instead of a DVD-R. Now, the DVD plays fine on my Sony, but I cannot play it in PowerDVD.

PowerDVD is complaining about not finding a copy protection key!

I tried downloading some region-free DVD software layer (DVD region-free v1.5), but it doesn't do anything when I try to launch it???

Anyway, I'm going to try a DVD-R with this version of Nero and see if I get the same results.

What version of Power DVD are you using? Most of us are using
version v4.0 XP

Also, does it play from your hard drive with PowerDVD?

-Pr.

riking
03-22-2003, 11:33 PM
Ok.... upgraded Nero again (v5.5.10.15) and burned to a DVD-R.

Success on all fronts! Works in the Sony and in my PC using Power DVD 4.0

I don't have Power DVD 4.0 XP and to my knowledge 4.0 doesn't allow one to play DVD sources directly from the HDD. I'm going to see about updating Power DVD now though so I can try that too.

Thanks for all the help! Seems like older versions of Nero were a bit shaky, as that's been the only thing I've been changing.

bato
03-23-2003, 02:55 AM
Ok.... upgraded Nero again (v5.5.10.15) and burned to a DVD-R.

Success on all fronts! Works in the Sony and in my PC using Power DVD 4.0
I heard Nero had a bug that the latest release doesn't, so if you use Nero update and make your DVD playable in more units.

Govnah
03-23-2003, 10:49 PM
Clarification PLZ! In your directions it says to "patch the first header video VOB file (Not Video_TS.vob! The one right after that.) My confusion after I create the Video_TS folder I have VTS_01_1.VOB through VTS_01_4.VOB. So which file VTS_01_2.VOB? Please advise.

TIA

snoopy
03-23-2003, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by Govnah
Clarification PLZ! In your directions it says to "patch the first header video VOB file (Not Video_TS.vob! The one right after that.) My confusion after I create the Video_TS folder I have VTS_01_1.VOB through VTS_01_4.VOB. So which file VTS_01_2.VOB? Please advise.

TIA
the first vts--.vob file NOT the first video_ts--.vob file.

bato
03-23-2003, 10:55 PM

TIA
In your VIDEO_TS you must have:
VIDEO_TS.VOB
VTS_01_1.VOB
VTS_01_2.VOB
VTS_01_3.VOB
VTS_01_4.VOB
do not patch VIDEO_TS.VOB but the one right after that, so the next is VTS_01_1.VOB

In my case I need to patch ALL headers in those 4 vobs (VTS_01_?.VOB) if I have multiple shows to 480x480@15, Pr.Sinister doesn't.

Govnah
03-23-2003, 11:40 PM
Thanks for the quick response! Also, can any of you point me in the direction to the 1.3 update for DVD WS. I went to their web page and it is not available.

P.S. I'm still confused! Go ahead call me an ***** but here is what my dir looks like,

video_ts.bup
video_ts.ifo
vts_01_0.bup
vts_01_0.ifo
vts_01_1.vob
vts_01_2.vob
vts_01_3.vob
vts_01_4.vob

So do I patch "video_ts.ifo" since that is the second file?

TIA

snoopy
03-23-2003, 11:49 PM
Thanks for the quick response! Also, can any of you point me in the direction to the 1.3 update for DVD WS. I went to their web page and it is not available.

P.S. I'm still confused! Go ahead call me an ***** but here is what my dir looks like,

video_ts.bup
video_ts.ifo
vts_01_0.bup
vts_01_0.ifo
vts_01_1.vob
vts_01_2.vob
vts_01_3.vob
vts_01_4.vob

no Just the first vts_01_1.vob is all that is necessary. That first header only of that file is the beginning. It fools the DVD player into thinking of the files in a certain way. That is the first file the DVD player looks for so that is all that is necessary.

TIA

snoopy
03-23-2003, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by snoopy

DVD workshop is commercial software. If you want it for free you must use a commercial news server such as www.easynews.com. It is beyond the scope of this forum. Please ask those questions elsewhere.

BubbleLamp
03-24-2003, 12:09 AM

video_ts.bup
video_ts.ifo
vts_01_0.bup
vts_01_0.ifo
vts_01_1.vob
vts_01_2.vob
vts_01_3.vob
vts_01_4.vob

TIA

You only patch the vts_xx_x.vob files.

They pulled the 1.3 upgrade off their web site for some reason. Speculation is maybe they're fixing some stuff it broke. Keep checking their download section.

Govnah
03-24-2003, 12:10 AM
I was not asking for the application, just the update if it was available. Sorry for the confusion.

bato
03-24-2003, 04:13 AM
Quick tip when using DVD Movie Factory 2

If you are importing a lot of big MPEGs, you noticed that
just selecting the files takes a while. Here's the tip.

Create a very small mpeg that you will not include in your
DVD and select that one first... Then select everything else
and unselect the one you don't want.

Save a lot of time.

P.S. If you don't understand what i'm saying, you have never used
DVD Movie Factory with VsplitMuxed MPEGs so don't ask for
explanations! hehehe

-Pr.
You can also import faster if you use mpeg2vcr - tools - MPEG GOP fixer - Fix (1) GOP time code and (2) audio PTS errors.

Your mpg after using TMPGEnc will not have audio PTS errors (I guess that's what get fixed and maybe other thing), so you will fix the GOP time code errors and will make your import a lot faster.

I tested this with copy of same file, one directly from simple multiplex the other copy of that and then "fixed" with mpeg2vcr. The first (about 22min show without commercials) took 15sec to select the second was less than 1 sec.

I wish jdiner take a look at this problems, I know he can find the problem and fix it, so we no longer need TMPGEnc and wait for Moviefactory/Workshop while importing those files.

Pr.Sinister
03-24-2003, 08:04 AM
You can also import faster if you use mpeg2vcr - tools - MPEG GOP fixer - Fix (1) GOP time code and (2) audio PTS errors.

Your mpg after using TMPGEnc will not have audio PTS errors (I guess that's what get fixed and maybe other thing), so you will fix the GOP time code errors and will make your import a lot faster.

I tested this with copy of same file, one directly from simple multiplex the other copy of that and then "fixed" with mpeg2vcr. The first (about 22min show without commercials) took 15sec to select the second was less than 1 sec.

I wish jdiner take a look at this problems, I know he can find the problem and fix it, so we no longer need TMPGEnc and wait for Moviefactory/Workshop while importing those files.

Ya i did notice that too... As for the TMPGEnc thing, josh has
fixed that already... He's just checking some other things.

-Pr.

bato
03-24-2003, 09:19 PM
Ya i did notice that too... As for the TMPGEnc thing, josh has
fixed that already... He's just checking some other things.

-Pr.
I read about it in another thread, this is good news. Everyone following this will have to use one less tool and save a good amount of time without using it.

jetstreme
04-02-2003, 06:48 PM
I followed the procedures here and have been able to convert Dtivo streams using MovieFactory 2 successfully. However, I did notice that the screen image appears to be chopped off on both the left and right side, as if only 352 pixels are shown instead of 480. I don't have that problem using Ifoedit or Spruceup.

Has anybody else seen this problem with MovieFactory 2? Is there any ways to get around that. I have also tried to patch all headers to 480x480 using DVDpatcher, but same results.

cullen_simpson
04-03-2003, 09:53 AM
I notice the same issue with MF2, but it is a very small amount and I do not see it on the TV.

I have another issue that I am wondering if others have seen.
I modified the AC3 settings in the ini file for MF2 and then created
a DVD with AC3. It played fine on the PC and in my home DVD player and my stereo indicated I was getting DD.

BTW: I am using a DTivo

Then I tried Riverworld from SciFi. I cut the commercials and went through all the steps. It played fine on the PC, but when I tried in my home DVD player I got no sound. I realize this show was not AC3 (I do not have any audio route from my DVD player except for the toslink cable).

I figured maybe I needed to change the AC3 settings in the ini file back to 0. When I went and looked they were 0 already. I changed them to 1, recreated the DVD directory and then looked at the ini file and they were changed back to 0.

What gives? Has anyone else seen this?
What is the proper way to deal with streams that are not AC3?

I tried the 1.2 version of DVDWS, but had no real luck with it.
The 1.3 patch kept telling me it could not find the product on my system, so I assume it does not work for the trial. I don't mind buying it if I know it will work, but that is alot of dough for a maybe.

Then I saw the posts about DVDLab. It looks very promising. I sent the author an email and he actually replied. He says it should be released this week and it looks like the intro price is $79. It should at least save the DVDPatcher steps from a 480x480 perspective, but I am not sure if we would still need to modify the bitrate.

Cullen

defsrg
04-04-2003, 09:44 PM
could someone please tell me where the ini files are for these 2 programs cuz i cant seem to find either one and neither can the xp search engine so that i can import my ac3 files?
thanx
________
Buy Roor Bongs (http://glassbongs.org/)

bato
04-04-2003, 10:24 PM
In my XP box at:
c:\documents and settings\all users\application data\ulead systems\ulead dvd moviefactory\2.01

there is DVDMF.ini

defsrg
04-04-2003, 10:46 PM
hmmmmm?
i dont have an application data folder there????
________
BMW E28 HISTORY (http://www.bmw-tech.org/wiki/BMW_E28)

cullen_simpson
04-04-2003, 11:39 PM
It might not be under "all users", it could be under administrator or your user name depending on how the program was installed.

bato
04-05-2003, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by defsrg
hmmmmm?
i dont have an application data folder there????
Are you sure you changed your folder options to show all hiden files/folders and system folders?

defsrg
04-05-2003, 05:23 AM
positive, like i said i even ran a search the only thing that came back that included the letters DVDMF are the main program icon and the help file, that s all this i very peculiar.
________
Softcore (http://www.****tube.com/video/20099/young-asian-teen-cutie-softcore-sex)

spinxter
04-05-2003, 10:40 AM
You must go into your folder options and:

1: Check "display the contents of system folders"
2: Check "show hidden files and folders"
3: Uncheck "hide protected operating system files (recommended)"

This is the only way to see all the files on your hard drive. If you do not do this the "search" function will not find the files.

Pr.Sinister
04-05-2003, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by cullen_simpson

I have another issue that I am wondering if others have seen.
I modified the AC3 settings in the ini file for MF2 and then created
a DVD with AC3. It played fine on the PC and in my home DVD player and my stereo indicated I was getting DD.

Then I tried Riverworld from SciFi. I cut the commercials and went through all the steps. It played fine on the PC, but when I tried in my home DVD player I got no sound. I realize this show was not AC3 (I do not have any audio route from my DVD player except for the toslink cable).

You have to change the Audio Settings in your DVD Player or
Receiver. I had to tell it to play MPEG's through the Optical Cable
for it to work on my Apex.

Same thing happened to another user in this thread and that
fixed his problem. The terminology is different for every DVD Player
so you have to figure out what to output to what.

-Pr.

defsrg
04-05-2003, 03:31 PM
thanx spinxster that did it!!!
________
MEXICO HOTELS (http://mexicohoteles.org)

giancarlo
04-08-2003, 06:13 PM
My recipe:

Tytool -> .ty
GOPeditor -> .cut
Tytool -> .m2v renamed .mpeg
TMPGenc -> m2v, m2a
Besweet -. .ac3
TMPGenc -> mpg

I've tried both DVD MF an DVD WS (1.2 demo -> can't patch)
I get similar results:

When I try to place two movies on the disk with chapters,
authoring blows up wiith a "too many frames" message. If
I don't include chapters, I can create a menu to play each
movie individually. Movie 1 works, but I can't fast-forward.
Movie 2 allows fast forwarding. No fast-forward and no chapters is a serious bummer.

I'm now using IFOedit. No menus, but movie #2 will start on a
chapter break. The chapter breaks are off and the indicator time on my DVD player is wrong, but the movies play fine.
see thread:
http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23317

My gosh, is this annoying! I've been at this for over a week,
and every solution has problems.

Question:
PR Sinister, do you create chapter breaks, or do you work with
single-chapter titles?

Also....are Tystudio mux's any better than Tytool mux's? Are
the resulting streams any more compliant? Would transcoding to a more compliant stream with TMPGenc help, or will this only
introduce sync problems?

Forget about their encryption - DTV has done an excellent job of
thwarting extractors by making their streams so damn ornery.

Pr.Sinister
04-08-2003, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by giancarlo

Question:
PR Sinister, do you create chapter breaks, or do you work with
single-chapter titles?

Yes i do. I create Multi-Title, Multi-Chapter sets. I never have that
error you are referring to.

An example is the full 1st season of Da Ali G Show. I have 6 MPEGs
that i import into DVD WS. I reate 1 Main Menu and 6 Sub-Menus.
Each Sub-Menu has 6 chapters in there.

Here's a screen cap of the Main Menu and 1st Sub-Menu.

Pr.Sinister
04-08-2003, 09:12 PM

bato
04-08-2003, 09:49 PM
Pr.Sinister great menus! and some people say that Workshop is not a good option, I know is not great but after I saw your menus I think it all depends on the user. Good job.

Pr.Sinister
04-08-2003, 10:22 PM
Pr.Sinister great menus! and some people say that Workshop is not a good option, I know is not great but after I saw your menus I think it all depends on the user. Good job.

Hehehe... Thanks man... I personally LOVE DVD Workshop. It is
super easy and i know it so well that i can create a DVD like
the Ali G one in 30 minutes. And i could do it 3x as fast if the seek
inside MPEG files was faster.

I haven't taken a look at DVD Lab yet but i know i will love it. The
more power to make fancy stuff, the more i like it.

Lots of my friends don't believe that i made those DVD's until i
show them the sources on my computer! Hehehe

-Pr.

VideoJoe
04-08-2003, 10:59 PM
When I try to place two movies on the disk with chapters,
authoring blows up wiith a "too many frames" message. If
I don't include chapters, I can create a menu to play each
movie individually. Movie 1 works, but I can't fast-forward.
Movie 2 allows fast forwarding. No fast-forward and no chapters is a serious bummer.

I get the same results with DVD WS 1.3 using DTivo files extracted with TyStudio or TyTool. Has Pr. Sinister gotten these results with SA or DTivo files?

bato
04-08-2003, 11:46 PM
Pr.Sinister use Dtivo files but use vsplit/GOPeditor in his step by step (post 1 in this thread).

jdiner
04-09-2003, 12:44 AM
There are many cool things coming that will make all of this easier for those using TyTool/vsplit. I have been working on things quite a bit just run into a few problems with autogenerating DVD menu's that are kind of kicking my butt right now.

I have decided to just release what I have and we can all go from there.

--jdiner

Pr.Sinister
04-09-2003, 12:56 AM
There are many cool things coming that will make all of this easier for those using TyTool/vsplit. I have been working on things quite a bit just run into a few problems with autogenerating DVD menu's that are kind of kicking my butt right now.

--jdiner

Ya Vsplit3 is really much better than version. I didn't think that
was even possible! :)

But i would definately would like to say unless it is for your own
use, forget about autogenerating menus. There's enough progs
that people can use to create their own menus. I think that
vsplit and tytool are so mature right now that aside from a few
rogue streams, there's no reason why someone can't burn a
perfectly synced DVD with or without menus.

You won't be able to please everyone. Especially if they start
telling you how the default menu should look like, etc...

I think that if you release what you have now with all the new
features, 99% of us will be so freaking happy. After that it's
just a matter of cleaning up certain things and maybe minor
enhancements but nothing as big as menu stuff.

With what i know you have, there will be no reason for me
anyway to look at anything else. TyTool does the job and does
it extremely well for me.

All this to say ukfé the enumé! Your stuff is great as is and freaks
like me will never use that feature since i'm so anal in what i
want my menus to look and behave like. Look at the screencaps
if you don't believe me! :D

-Pr.

snoopy
04-09-2003, 01:03 AM
cypm

snoopy
04-09-2003, 01:06 AM

--jdiner

That sounds great. I l'll keep looking for it tonight! Thanks for all the great work jdiner.

bato
04-09-2003, 01:11 AM
I agree and disagree with Pr.Sinister (mostly I agree :D )

I agree because I can create my menus with Workshop but is a 300 software

I disagree because many will find great that a free tool can give you a dvd ready to burn folder

Everyday new users come here to lern, if they only have to download and learn 1 program they will be more than happy.

Me? I like Workshop everyday more, still in hope that some day DVD-lab will work with Dtivo files and have multi audio option (I want some pictures with English/Spanish tracks).

snoopy
04-09-2003, 01:22 AM
I agree and disagree with Pr.Sinister (mostly I agree :D )

I agree because I can create my menus with Workshop but is a 300 software

I disagree because many will find great that a free tool can give you a dvd ready to burn folder

Everyday new users come here to lern, if they only have to download and learn 1 program they will be more than happy.

Me? I like Workshop everyday more, still in hope that some day DVD-lab will work with Dtivo files and have multi audio option (I want some pictures with English/Spanish tracks).

I agree with sinster and bato. I think it would be great! However, I do think that releasing what you have already done makes more sense than drawing it out. At least it gets us one step closer. I certainly agree that you shouldn't get bogged down in what type of menu to put in. Put something simple together and those that want more can go with the $300 DVDWS and soon to DVD Lab.

bato
04-09-2003, 02:05 AM
Hey man, your chapters start where you put them? I just installed the 1.3 patch and everything works, also the final test within Workshop all chapters are ok, but when I create the VIDEO_TS folder and test with PowerDVD the chapters are off. What do you think about this?

Pr.Sinister
04-09-2003, 09:29 AM
Hey man, your chapters start where you put them? I just installed the 1.3 patch and everything works, also the final test within Workshop all chapters are ok, but when I create the VIDEO_TS folder and test with PowerDVD the chapters are off. What do you think about this?

Ya my chapters are right on point. I dunno if it's because those
Ali G Mpegs only have cuts in the beginning and end but it is
PERFECT. Also i don't know if the way i installed DVD Workshop
is the reason why this works... hehehe. This what my DVD WS
installation has been through :

- Installed DVD WS v1.0
- Installed Old v1.3 Patch
- Installed Sync-Patch
- Installed New v1.3 Patch

Also, when i choose my chapter, i scroll with the bar until i'm very
close to where i want it to be and then i frame advance or rewind
1 frame at a time with the keyboard left-right keys. Maybe the
slider is not accurate.

-Pr.

riking
04-09-2003, 11:42 AM
Using the flow described in this thread, I want to use Nero to burn a single episode of Ali G onto a CD-R. However, in Nero, when I try to burn a DVD (UDF/ISO) it forces me to use a DVD-R. Does anyone know how to burn (in DVD format) to a CD-R in Nero? When I try to burn to a CD-ROM(UDF/ISO) I cannot play the disc in my Sony DVD player. Any solutions/workarounds?

giancarlo
04-09-2003, 12:44 PM
jdiner, I would be very interested in the enhancements you're discussing. Minimal auto-generated menus are exactly what I'm looking for. If others have better ways to make menus that work for them, they don't have to use this feature. I gratefully welcome any improvements/enhancements you're willing to provide in whatever timeframe and order you're comfortable providing them.

Last night I tried following Pr. Sinister's recipe from scratch again. I eliminated all TMPGenc/BeSweet steps I included previously. I used Tytool to cut and Mux two Marx Brothers movies that I recorded off of TCM last week. I took the .m2v renamed .mpg files, patched them, and added them to DVD WS. Simple menus. Interestingly, DVD WS was convinced the 2nd movie was 20% shorter than it was (frame rate confusion?), but not the first. I added chapters but NOT in the last 20% of the movie. My latest theory is this frame rate confusoin causes the chapter generation to bomb. If DVD WS is convinced that the chapter point is beyond the end of the movie, it may crap out. I generated the VIDEO_TS directory, repatched the 1st VOB header, repatched the entire 2nd VOB file (containing start of movie 2), and burned with Nero. Result: jerky video, sync problems, occassional video breakdown.

I went back to IFOEdit. TMPGenc demux, BeSweet to AC3, IFOedit mux. Video and sync are fine. No menus and I still have the frame rate issues, but at least the movies look fine.

So, how can so many seemingly reasonable people get such varied results using the same tools? All I can think of is:

1. Perhaps it has to do with my version of DVD WS. It's possible, but I doubt it. I've had identlical results with the latest version of DVD MF. The underlying authoring engines are probably identical.
None of the bugs/features mentioned in the 1.3 patch description mention the authoring/streaming engine.

2. All of these methods fake out authoring programs to cram streams onto a DVD that are not really DVD-compliant. They all filter or modify these streams in some way, but none output 100% compliant streams. Putting TMPGenc in the mix seems to provide some beneficial filtering, but may also introduce some sync issues. A users' end result is a function of how well their particular player deals with a particular non-standard idiosyncratic stream. I am using a Panasonic RV-32. It behaves well when I TMPGenc demux and IFOedit mux. It doesn't seem to like anything else that I've found. Perhaps this is naive, but if tytool or tystudio were able to output truly DVD-compliant MPEG-2 stream, any competent authoring scheme/player combo would likely work.

04-09-2003, 12:58 PM
AFAIK if you want to burn a DVD you have to use a DVD and a DVD burner. Your option is to burn a video CD (VCD).

Using the flow described in this thread, I want to use Nero to burn a single episode of Ali G onto a CD-R. However, in Nero, when I try to burn a DVD (UDF/ISO) it forces me to use a DVD-R. Does anyone know how to burn (in DVD format) to a CD-R in Nero? When I try to burn to a CD-ROM(UDF/ISO) I cannot play the disc in my Sony DVD player. Any solutions/workarounds?