PDA

View Full Version : Re encoding tivo stream

kbulmer
02-08-2003, 06:02 AM
Hi all,

A question on re-encoding a tystream, I have extracted the split streams, now I need to re encode in mpg format..... fine done this, now the question is what difference will encoding with a Pentium 4 compared to a Pentium III make.

The set up will be a tivo that is stand alone in another country accessed via turbonet, I then VPN into its network, extract the stream to another PC on the network and then connect into this machine which will do all the encoding, I can then transfer the encoded program over the net to my home in another country.

Currently to encode a 1hr tivo program recorded at medium quality then re-encoded to mpg1 pal CBR format approx 655 meg in size takes 5-6 hours using TMPGenc. How long would a P4 take to encode a similar file.

Thanks K

captain_video
02-08-2003, 11:52 AM
P4's come in all speeds so it would be impossible to hazard a guess based on the limited facts you've provided. Suffice it to say that a faster CPU with a faster FSB and more RAM will perform the job faster than the PIII setup. A 7200rpm hard drive will also help.

kbulmer
02-08-2003, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by captain_video
P4's come in all speeds so it would be impossible to hazard a guess based on the limited facts you've provided. Suffice it to say that a faster CPU with a faster FSB and more RAM will perform the job faster than the PIII setup. A 7200rpm hard drive will also help.

Thanks, should have mentioned my current setup

PIII 933 512ram

Looking at

P4 2.4 with 1 gig ram will more than likey be 400FSB with 160 gig 7200 maxtor drive same as in the tivo.

Keith

zabs
02-10-2003, 02:44 PM
This probably doesn't help much, but Athlon XP's are comparible to P4's in most realms.

My dual Athlon XP 1800 system will encode at just better than 30 fps (or slightly faster than real time, ie. 30 minute movie takes 30 minutes.) using motion estimation.

So a 1.8 gig P4 should take 1 hour for a 30 minute movie???

There are some other factors, such as code optimization for the P4 chip and how efficient the multiprocessing is (my cpu utilization is not 100%)

I should be able to let you know how a 1.7 celery processor fares in a few days as I'm replacing an ol' dual 450 system.

nilknarf
02-11-2003, 12:17 PM
Anybody know how to up your CPU utilization. I have a dual PIII 933mhz system that runs TMPEnc at 50% while encoding. Right now I'm looking at a 30 hour process for Ed Wood!

zabs
02-11-2003, 12:38 PM
Under preferences....there is an option for process threads or something similar....up the number to 2.

EDIT:
Options > Environmental Settings > Click the CPU tab, enter 2 in the number of cpu fields.

artships
02-11-2003, 01:02 PM
Just a tip when using TMPGEnc. Select the option to generate a list file. When transcoding, the file lists frame numbers and types (I, B, P).

For me this came in handy when a transcoded show would not play in PowerDVD, nor load in Ulead DVD Movie Factory. With the log file I was able to see that, 45 minutes into the two-hour movie, TMPGEnc felt compelled to zero-out the frame counter and time-hacks. As for the fix for this tragedy (24hrs to transcode)...