PDA

View Full Version : Airnet Kraven Question

dr_cure
02-10-2003, 12:05 PM
I just got an Airnet card and wanted to get some advice as to the best configuration (and tips for install). I've currenty got airnet up and running on xtreme 2.5 with a 2.52 tivo upgrade. I was planning to add kraven's upgrade, but have read about a lot of problems with doing so. Any tips out there? Also, what's the proper order for a fresh install (ie. 25xtreme, 2.52 update, airnet, then kraven)? Are there any particular script edits to get it up and running?

Any help would be great. Thanks.

Wooly
02-13-2003, 01:05 PM
I don't want to be a ****, so please don't take my advice that way. That being said..

My advise is to return your Airnet card and instead get a TurboNet.

Your goal in getting an Airnet is clearly video extraction. The throughput of Airnet is roughly 1/5th to 1/10th of Turbonet AT BEST. Live with the cables, get a TurboNet, and understand that you can later on add an 802.11g bridge for about $50 later on this year (and therefore get decent throughput).

Seriously, you will NOT be happy with the Airnet. I tried and tried to get it to work properly, and the only way I got the performance described above is to use the Zoom card and add an external antennae. The Airnet solution is unsuitable for video extraction at present time, so don't fight a losing battle.

Originally posted by dr_cure
I just got an Airnet card and wanted to get some advice as to the best configuration (and tips for install). I've currenty got airnet up and running on xtreme 2.5 with a 2.52 tivo upgrade. I was planning to add kraven's upgrade, but have read about a lot of problems with doing so. Any tips out there? Also, what's the proper order for a fresh install (ie. 25xtreme, 2.52 update, airnet, then kraven)? Are there any particular script edits to get it up and running?

Any help would be great. Thanks.

BareMetal
02-17-2003, 12:53 AM
I don't know, maybe I don't know better, but my airnet works just fine. I get over 310 KB/sec downloading ty files from tivoweb or roughly 2.48 Mb/sec. What kind of numbers are you getting out of turbonet, because if they are better, I'm willing to switch now that entertainment center has been moved to the other side of the room.

BubbleLamp
02-17-2003, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by BareMetal
I don't know, maybe I don't know better, but my airnet works just fine. I get over 310 KB/sec downloading ty files from tivoweb or roughly 2.48 Mb/sec. What kind of numbers are you getting out of turbonet, because if they are better, I'm willing to switch now that entertainment center has been moved to the other side of the room.

I'm now getting close to 2MB/sec on switched 100 Ethernet.

Wooly
02-17-2003, 06:08 PM
Anywhere between 1.8 MB/sec to 2.1 MB/sec, depending on what's going on in my system at the time. Very stable, NEVER under 1.8 MB/sec.

I'm not saying it won't work, and 310 KB/sec is respectable - but that's less than real-time. If you're taking stuff off the Dtivo every day it's no big deal, but if you're like me and 2-3 weeks go by between extraction sessions it's not viable. I set it up at night and I've got 40-50 gigs finished the next morning. Airnet would take DAYS at that pace.

If you want wireless, my original advice stands - go TurboNet, and install a 802.11a or 802.11g bridge in about 6 months when those prices are around $50 - then you'll have realistic speed. But for me, I don't consider 300-400 KB/sec acceptable.

Originally posted by BareMetal

BareMetal
02-18-2003, 11:15 PM
Well, with two people getting that kind of speed.. I guess it's time to go for the hard wire, now that I can.

dialanothernumb
02-19-2003, 04:46 PM
I just switched over to Turbonet from Airnet as my connex was getting slower and slower.. Like the above, I'm getting nearly 2MB/s and extractionis practical rather than "cool"

BareMetal
02-19-2003, 05:01 PM
ok, I did order the turbonet now how do I remove the airnet drivers and setup the turbonet? I'm running xtreme3.1

dialanothernumb
02-19-2003, 05:48 PM
I didn't remove the airnet drivers, just installed the turbonet driver, ran the setup etc and flew! This was on a UK SA Tivo.

The setup util is on the same image as the airnet setup and downloadable from the 9th tee site

BareMetal
02-19-2003, 07:13 PM
I know support is there for the turbonet in xtreme3.1 (dtivo), I'm just not sure exactly where the airnet.o module is being called from.. I'm sure it won't be to hard to find.