PDA

View Full Version : Could Someone Write This Script?



misato
02-16-2003, 07:29 AM
I don't know if this is the right thread to ask, but it's certainly the right people to ask, so I'll give it a try...

Tivo has never added a feature I'd really like (and others in the AVS forums have chimed in they'd like it too), so I was wondering if it could be written here: I set a lot of my wishlists very "loose" so they pull in a wide range of hits, so I don't get too stale by watching only the things I know about already. But it drives me crazy to always be deleting the same shows over and over as well. For instance, a keyword "japan" to pick up all sorts of current *and* historical programming also routinely picks up "The Journey" about some deaf and blind person who travels through Japan. Very heartwarming, I'm sure, but even if I wanted to watch that once, I've deleted it at *least* 50 times from my to-do list. Another example, I have a keyword for "robot", to pick up both gee-whiz shows and smash each other in the cage shows, but I keep getting hits on the Jetsons, Twilight Zone, etc. Perfectly legitimate hits, but tedious to keep deleting over and over. So...

Would it be possible for someone to write a script that runs like once a day, takes a text file I upload, and marks anything that matches lines there with "deleted by your request"? So I could put lines in that file saying "The Jetsons" and "The Journey" etc, and any of those titles that get added to the to do list periodically get deleted, and the tivo thinks a person did that with the remote?

It would be a terrific facility, if "we" know enough about how the database works to implement it...

Could someone take a swing at that?

Thanks!

BubbleLamp
02-16-2003, 11:14 AM
Yes, it seems the Tivo has more weighting for certain shows than it used to when learning our habits. But does it really matter? There is no need to delete any of the shows it records, they will always be deleted when something you've told it to record needs the room.

digitalAir
02-16-2003, 12:07 PM
***disclaimer***
I don't use it much, myself... So, I could be way off here...
*** end disclaimer ***

But it would seem to me that if you mark the specific shows with the "thumbs down" then it should automatically filter them out of the to do list...

--just a thought--

misato
02-16-2003, 12:56 PM
Well it's not storage that bothers me about a useless recording, but rather that there are only 2 tuners, so a false hit on a higher priority wish list will squeeze out a good choice on a lower priority wishlist, if they're on at the same time. And bad hits do accelerate the aging and deletion of worthwhile stuff that's already on HD but set to "delete when space is needed".

Now, I go through the to do list at least daily to trim out as much of the chaff as possible to let better stuff bubble up into the list. But it would be nice if some of the highly repetitive stuff could be caused to delete itself from the to do list without always having to be done manually.

So that's why I was hoping for a script like this.

mrblack51
02-16-2003, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by digitalAir
***disclaimer***
I don't use it much, myself... So, I could be way off here...
*** end disclaimer ***

But it would seem to me that if you mark the specific shows with the "thumbs down" then it should automatically filter them out of the to do list...

--just a thought--

not the case. i have tripple thumbs down on jakie chan adventures, but it still gets snagged by my martial arts wishlist. this sort of script would be ideal for me

BubbleLamp
02-16-2003, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by misato
Well it's not storage that bothers me about a useless recording, but rather that there are only 2 tuners, so a false hit on a higher priority wish list will squeeze out a good choice on a lower priority wishlist, if they're on at the same time. And bad hits do accelerate the aging and deletion of worthwhile stuff that's already on HD but set to "delete when space is needed".

This is incorrect. A show on your priority list will never be aged out by something the Tivo records on its own. The reason there is a priority setting on the wishlist is to determine what to do when there is an overlapping time slot.

You need to get more specific on your key words.

misato
02-16-2003, 02:43 PM
No no, I've not made my thoughts clear, it seems.

I'm talking only about wishlists (doesn't matter if suggestions are enabled or not) and the to do list.

As is, I have a lot of wish lists set up. For instance I'll have "japan" and "robot" and category military and a bunch like that.

Now, a lot of the things those pull in are items I'd like to see, and some are things I don't want. I cope with the "don't wants" by frequently going through the to do list and clipping out the clinkers.

But many of the bad hits are highly repetitious, and I find myself removing them over and over. For instance it's perfectly legitimate for the "japan" wish list to flag The Journey, but there's no way right now to tell the tivo "no, never record this program", so it keeps appearing in the to do list (because it gets shown at least 1/2 dozen times a month). You can imagine how often I clip out MASH from category miliary wishlist, too. (I want that one to show me military documentaries, historical programs, gee whiz shows etc but not that sitcom) But I have to keep clipping out MASH repeatedly, because it shows so frequently.

So what I'd like is a little robot that may not be very bright, but is able to zip through the to do list periodically and delete every instance of MASH and The Journey and Dora the Explorer, even though the wishlists did what they were supposed to by adding those. I'd like the tivo to think I went through the to do list myself with the remote and removed all those myself; but I'd like it to be mechanized, so I have to do less of that manually.

Come to think of it, this could also be useful for movie collectors, for instance: Someone could set up a wishlist for "Hitchcock", then add to the never-record list each movie they record and extract. So even if Vertigo shows every week, all those hits on the wish list won't drive them crazy while they wait for less frequently played ones to come up.

Is that a better explanation of what I was proposing?

BubbleLamp
02-16-2003, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by misato
So what I'd like is a little robot that may not be very bright, but is able to zip through the to do list periodically and delete every instance of MASH and The Journey and Dora the Explorer, even though the wishlists did what they were supposed to by adding those. I'd like the tivo to think I went through the to do list myself with the remote and removed all those myself; but I'd like it to be mechanized, so I have to do less of that manually.

Come to think of it, this could also be useful for movie collectors, for instance: Someone could set up a wishlist for "Hitchcock", then add to the never-record list each movie they record and extract. So even if Vertigo shows every week, all those hits on the wish list won't drive them crazy while they wait for less frequently played ones to come up.

Is that a better explanation of what I was proposing?

Better explanation, but then you'd still have to constantly maintain the list of things to ignore. Yes, Boolean searches would be nice, but the general public would never be able to figure it out, so we're left with the simpleton interface. The old hidden menu where you could adjust the weighting of the actors and directors was cool, but they never saw fit to include it in a released version.

Anyway, in the meantime, I suggest you use some of the sub-selection criteria when setting up the lists. IOW, specify only Hitchcock and movies. Or Jameson and Adult Content. :eek: It's not perfect, but I have been successful it getting less of the wrong stuff than without it.

misato
02-17-2003, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by BubbleLamp
Better explanation, but then you'd still have to constantly maintain the list of things to ignore. Yes, Boolean searches would be nice, but the general public would never be able to figure it out, so we're left with the simpleton interface.

Sure, but the general public isn't applying the hacks either. IMO a terrific "simpleton interface" for one such as me would be: I add titles to be removed to a text file of a fixed filename, and squirt it up through rz or ftp or whatever. If we wanted to be really slick, there could be an xplusz command number to "scrub to-do list".

I do think a facility like this would be very useful.