PDA

View Full Version : ty -> dvd process discussion

2ride
02-16-2003, 08:26 PM
i am looking to start concise thread for people to share the process they are using to go from ty to dvd.

I have had success without editing using the following process:

tytool -> m2a/m2v
mux with tmpgenc
dvdpatcher resolution fakeout 480x480 to 720x480
master in spruce
burn in nero

I have never been able to successfully edit video and get it onto a dvd.,

i have tried jdiners gopeditor but can't find a tool to take the output.

i tried using tydemux and editing in m2-edit pro v5 but the generated output is twice the size of the original with no trascoding.

I thought it would be helpful for people who have had success extracting/editing/burning to have a thread to share the process and tools they are using.

02-16-2003, 08:35 PM
I'm sure there is a better way but this works:
1) Tytool6--extract ty mode--make key file--edit key file--mux file
2) use tmpgenc to do a simple demux
2.1) use besweet to correct audio file
3) use IFOEDIT
4) Burn with Nero

Revised to include step 2.1 which seems to be necessary most of the time.

Pr.Sinister
02-16-2003, 08:41 PM
Check out this thread (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21728) to go from DirecTiVo
to DVD with commercials edited and working custom menus.

I have made a few since i had success with this method and
people are all like "Wow... You did that Kingpin DVD yourself?
How'd you do that?"

Hehehe

-Pr.

captain_video
02-17-2003, 01:25 AM
I started an identical thread a couple of weeks ago and it met with lukewarm responses. I hope you have better luck getting inputs than I had. There must be over a dozen different methods people have posted for going from a tystream to a DVD in this forum. I was hoping to consolidate all of the diffferent methods and break them down by function so you could mix and match the methods to come up with a procedure that's just right for you.

For example, there are several ways of extracting tystreams (i.e. tytool, mfstream via tivoweb and probably others). There are several ways of splitting the extracted tystream (tytool using vsplit on the fly, tytool using vsplit to parse the file after extraction, standalone vsplit, and tydemux). There are numerous ways to author a DVD. Some like to import the m2v and m2a files directly into SpruceUp, DVD Maestro, or IFOEdit. Others like to mux the m2v and m2a files and use an editor or other method of cutting commercials. Some like to create auto-start DVDs with no menus while others like to add menus, titles, buttons, chapter stops, etc.

Anyway, I think you see where I'm going with this. I would like to get a How To for DVD creation and post it in a sticky if I can get enough input from forum members. As I said, I only got a couple of posts in the previous thread. My schedule has been a little hectic lately so I haven't been able to put the time into it that I'd like but I'm hoping to start getting it together sometime soon.

PR, I just checked the link to your other thread. I read the thread and posted a question about what kind of Tivo you're using for recording and extraction. It really helps to specify what kind of Tivo is being used as the process for creating DVDs from a SA Tico is somewhat different than for a DTivo. A SA Tivo already has a compliant video stream (352X480) but the audio needs to be converted from 32kHz to 48kHz. A Dtivo has 48kHz audio but the video needs to be patched from 480X480 to 720X480.

02-17-2003, 08:57 AM
Captain--I'd be interested in see some "how to do" BUT I'd rather wait a week or 2 to see how people are using tytools 6.

bato
02-17-2003, 10:44 AM
I tried another way to deal with this, tools I used are Tytool, DVD Maestro, DVDPatcher and BeSweet (streams from a DTivo).

1) extract TY with vsplit to m2v and m2a
2) patch m2v to 720x480
3) import into DVDMaestro, if no GOP errors continue if not abort
4) quit DVDMaestro and patch back to 480x480
5) transcode with BeSweet m2a to AC3 not need to put a higher bitrate 192 is fine
6) DVDMaestro again and then you can chop your program
7) create the sync audio from the AC3 file
8) create vobs and burn

The nice thing about this is that I wanted to put 2 movies with AC3 audio, and the resulting DVD was about 4.9GB so I can't put that in a blank, so my option was to put each movie in one blank, but now with DVD2one and Instant Copy you can get the 4.9GB resulting files and then that will be reduces to 4.3 to fit into a DVD. Of course you need to know the limits of each aplication, the easier to use is Instant Copy as it will take all DVD features and compress them and DVD2one only the main movie (so you need to put your 2 movies into only one when creating in Maestro).

captain_video
02-17-2003, 10:59 AM
I'm confused as to why you're going through the extra process of transcoding the audio using BeSweet. The AC3 audio should import directly into Maestro after splitting with vsplit. No transcoding is necessary. If you're getting mepg layer II audio instead of AC3 using vsplit it's because you need to set a jump point to begin the extraction when the AC3 audio begings.

If you're recording PPV movies from DTV there is always a 30-second lead-in prior to the start of the movie that contains mpeg layer II audio. Set an initial jump point at about 70 chunks or so to get into the AC3 stream. Otherwise, you'll either get a bunch of error messages during the extraction and splitting process or you'll end up with mpeg layer II audio instead of AC3. If you see the error message during the spliting process, terminate vsplit, delete the files it just generated, and start again with a larger jump point (i.e. 80 instead of 70). When it begins the splitting process with no errors and indicates you have Dolby Digital audio you've got it right. You can fine tune the jump point to get it exactly at the beginning of the program but you're only shaving off a few frames at the beginning of the opening splash screen so there's no actual content being lost.

bato
02-17-2003, 01:05 PM
Yeah, I know I'm not good with words and after I posted I wondered if anyone will understand what I'm saying.

I only go from m2a -> ac3 when I need to edit the video in Maestro (remove commercials, credits or some previews) this is different from selecting chapter points to automatic skip the unwanted video, this makes room for more episodes.

I chop beginning and end of everything I don't need moving the [ or ] with cursor on the Maestro movie asset, repeat as needed (one time for PPV pictures or Playhouse Disney for the kids, or many times if I want to cut commercials), then let Maestro create the new audio file for the cuts (I believe this only works with ac3, that's why I transcode m2a to ac3).

2ride
02-17-2003, 01:05 PM
From what I have been able to gleen it seems there are only 2 ways proven to go from dtivo -> edit with gopedit -> dvd.

1) ifoedit ( no menu support )
2) Pr Sinister's dvd moviefactory process ( does support menus ) which I haven't been able to get to work yet.

I haven't read where either spruce or maestro work with streams edited with gopeditor.

What about the tydemux users out there? Any successes?

TIA

bato
02-17-2003, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by 2ride
I haven't read where either spruce or maestro work with streams edited with gopeditor.

For all my gopeditor created mpg files that I try to import to spruce not even 1 can be imported, if I demux the mpg and try to import the video only in Maestro there is always a GOP error.

The steps I put above are from ty -> split only (into m2v and m2a) then check if the m2v import without GOP errors, if this is true (almost all) then you convert m2a to ac3 and then edit within Maestro, puting your video as many times as video parts that you want to keep and remove start/end for each video to just keep the part you want.

I know, I know, no one understand what I'm saying, maybe I need to create some guide with pictures and less words. :D

EDIT: I have to chech the following but maybe will work, if your video have GOP errors and you can't record again the show, maybe if you keep the .ty file and use tydemux it will fix the GOP structure, I'll give this a try as soon as I found one video with GOP errors in Maestro.

2ride
02-17-2003, 01:16 PM
Bato,

What I read in your post is if you cut sections from the original into multiple streams, each section can then be used in maestro? Similar to the multi cut process Pr S suggested for movie factory? Assuming the original stream did not have GOP errors?

bato
02-17-2003, 02:00 PM
2ride,

No cuts before using Maestro, just use the big m2v from a simple vsplit.

If the m2v did not show any errors in Maestro, you can edit the video right there in Maestro, much like you work with normal editors, you just cut start/end each time. So for example you have this (this is a 30 min show):

junk - part1 - junk - part2 - junk - part3 - junk

you only want part1 - part2 - part3, right?

In DVDMaestro you can import .m2v and .m2a if no errors then you can just put chapter points at start/end of the parts you want and then program Maestro to autoskip, for example:

junk - mark1 - part1 - mark2 - junk - mark3 - part2 - mark4 - junk - mark5...

so you program Maesto to start at mark1, when it reaches mark2 then goto mark3 so you skip that junk, mark4-mark5..., but then you keep all the video.

If you want to edit in DVDMaestro then you need to make sure no GOP errors and then m2a to ac3 (same bitrate and will be 2 channels, not 6 like original ac3 from stream). Then you put the asset in the movie screen in Maestro and remove (selecting with cursor beginning of video and cursor will change to [ to just the start of part1 and end of video ] to just the end of part1, so you will end with part1 only, then you append to the same movie the same asset again so you will have

part1 - junk - part1 - junk - part2 - junk - part3

so you go to start of second part (the one that show all the junk) and again [ and ] but now you keep only part2, then again for part3 and you will end with:

part1 - part2 - part3

without audio yet. Now you need to scroll down to where you normaly put the audio and right clic and select EDIT: Create Sync Audio Track..., the Sync Audio File Dialog will open and automaticaly the .ac3 with same name will be choosed :EDIT and then Maestro will create a new ac3 file with only part1, part2 and part3 on it, then you continue as usual.

artships
02-17-2003, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by newbie
3) use IFOEDIT
4) Burn with Nero

Instead of TMPGEnc to demux, try perhaps DVD2AVI. Much faster. Assuming ifoedit accepts a d2v file, that is. The only time I tried ifoedit it introduced a sync error.

Tytool6 makes excising adverts a touch imprecise, but quite good enough for me. I'm running a tytool6-processed Andromeda episode through TMPGEnc right now. The samples I've done promise perfect sync.

BubbleLamp
02-17-2003, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by newbie
I'm sure there is a better way but this works:
3) use IFOEDIT
4) Burn with Nero

Do you have to convert the audio to 48KHz somewhere in there?

02-17-2003, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by BubbleLamp
Do you have to convert the audio to 48KHz somewhere in there?

I use a DTivo. BL you're right, most of the time I have problems with audio. I think I'm going to change my post to reflect using bsweet after I demux. Should be an easier way but I haven't found it yet.

captain_video
02-17-2003, 05:15 PM
Since he's using a DTivo, isn't the audio already at 48kHz?

02-17-2003, 05:30 PM
Captain--I am using DTivo, Besweet shows the source is 48 BUT when I use IFOEDIT I usually wind up with NO AUDIO unless I use besweet. Someone else posted that Tytool is corrupting the header and Besweet fixes it. No luck imported these files into Spruce.

Question for the more experienced: Assume I am burning a movie recorded from HBO. I went to cut the first 2 or 3 minutes (start with the actual movie). I also understand this will preserve 5.1. What is the best way to get the J factor to use. Can I convert the frame number from gopeditor and then just use vslpit?

2ride
02-17-2003, 07:59 PM
how about tydemux users?

what software are you using to edit/author?

TIA

CptKirk
02-18-2003, 12:38 AM
I had just posted this to another thread before I saw this one.

Sonicís MyDVD v4.0 build 68905 will process an m2v file created by TyTool 6r1a without any problems.

A 219M m2v file results in a 315M vob (dvd mpeg2) file which WinDVD v4.0.05.039 shows as the following:

Video:
Stream:
Type: Interlaced MPEG2
Bitrate: 7.000 Mbps
Framerate: 29.970 Hz
Resolution: 720x480
Aspect ratio: 4x3

Audio:
Stream:
Type: Linear PCM
Bitrate: 1536 Kbps
Number of channels: 2
Sampling Frequency: 48khz
Sampling Bits: 16

The same 219M m2v file results in a 51M dat (vcd mpeg1) file which WinDVD shows as the following:

Video:
Stream:
Type: MPEG1
Bitrate: 1.100 Mbps
Framerate: 29.970 Hz
Resolution: 352x240
Aspect ratio: 4x3

Audio:
Stream:
Type: MPEG Audio
Bitrate: 224 Kbps
Number of channels: 2
Sampling Frequency: 44.1khz
Sampling Bits: 16

I did the following to get the file from the Tivo and edit out commercials:

Tytool6--extract ty mode--make key file--edit key file--mux file

The resulting m2v file is what I used in MyDVD.

MyDVD will transcode the files into DVD compliant mpeg2 files. You can add all the menus you want. It will also burn directly to either DVD (for a DVD project) or CD (for a VCD project). You can also save to the harddrive with a DVD or VCD directory structure if you want to burn with another program.

Unfortunately there is no way to control the bitrate so the file size grows quite a bit for mpeg2.

FreydNot
02-18-2003, 02:38 AM
how about tydemux users?
what software are you using to edit/author?
TIA

I use TyDemux pretty much exclusively now. I was never able to get the TyTool stuff to work without audio sync problems. Olaf's TyDemux has been working for me since 3.0, so I haven't tried anything else (except 4.0 :)

I am using a SA Tivo (that means 32k audio). I have two workflows. One for direct burning of the tivo mpeg files (no video transcoding - BeSweet audio transcoding) and one for fully compliant DVD's (720x480 video 48k audio).

For quick and dirty DVD's with no transcoding I do the following:

1) extract the .ty file (I use mfs_export over NFS, but whatever works for you should be fine)
2) convert the .ty file into .m2v / .mpa files using TyDemux (windows)
3) use mplex (windows compile) to create a .mpg from the .m2v / .mpa files
3a) delete the .m2v / .mpa files
4) load up the .mpg file in M2-edit 5.0 (windows)
4a) edit the video to remove commercials
4b) export the edited video back out to a .mpg file (note - not transcoding here)
5) use M2-edit's Demux tool (since its already loaded up:) to convert the edited .mpg into .m2v / .mpa files
5a) delete the edited .mpg file
6) convert the 32k .mpa file into 2 channel stereo 48k .ac3 file using BeSweet (ac3 files are more compliant with DVD's then mp2 files)
6a) delete the 32k .mpa file
7) use DVD patcher to patch the first header of the .m2v file to 720x480)
8) load the patched .m2v and the 48k .mpa files into DVD Maestro.
9) author the DVD with menus, etc.
10) burn the DVD

I use this command line for BeSweet 32k to 48k conversion...

BeSweet -core( -input "%1.mpa" -output "%1.ac3" ) -azid( -s stereo ) -ota( -G 1 ) -ssrc( --rate 48000 ) -boost( /b2=5 ) -ac3enc( -b 224 )

For fully compliant DVD's I do the following... Its a bit complicated and probably more then I need to do, but thats just how I am :)

1) extract the .ty file (I use mfs_export over NFS, but whatever works for you should be fine)
3) use DVD2AVI to save a project file (.d2v) from the m2v file
3) Create a AVI Synth script (.avs) to load up the .d2v file as an AVI (see example below)
3a) keep most the of processing commented out for now
4) load the .avs file into VirtualDub
5) use VirtualDub to locate the edit points for commercials. Enter the numbers into the .avs file
6) uncomment the filters and resizing commands from the .avs file
7) reload the .avs file into VirtualDub and review the edit points and video quality
8) tweak video filters to suit
9) use VirtualDub to save an audio wave file from the edited .avs file
10) use BeSweet to convert the wave file into a 48k .ac3 file
11) use CinemaCraft Encoder SP to transcode the .avs video file into a DVD compliant .m2v file (720x480 interlaced)
12) load the .m2v and .ac3 files into DVD Maestro
13) author the DVD with menus, etc.
14) burn the DVD

Here is a template I use to create my AVI Synth file (/avs)

video = mpeg2source("file.m2v.d2v")
audio = WAVSource("file.wav")
AudioDub(video, audio)

# trim(,) ++ trim(,) ++ trim(,) ++ trim(,)

# Crop(0,2,0,0).AddBorders(0,2,0,0)

# cnr2(mode=0)
# SeparateFields(last)
# TemporalSmoother()
# LanczosResize(last, 720, 240)
# Weave(last)

bato
02-18-2003, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by FreydNot
I use TyDemux pretty much exclusively now. I was never able to get the TyTool stuff to work without audio sync problems. Olaf's TyDemux has been working for me since 3.0, so I haven't tried anything else (except 4.0 :)

I am using a SA Tivo (that means 32k audio). I have two workflows. One for direct burning of the tivo mpeg files (no video transcoding - BeSweet audio transcoding) and one for fully compliant DVD's (720x480 video 48k audio).

If you are using a SA then you can change resolution to DVD standard of 720x480 or 352x480 so your only problem will be audio at 48k

For quick and dirty DVD's with no transcoding I do the following:

3) use mplex (windows compile) to create a .mpg from the .m2v / .mpa files
3a) delete the .m2v / .mpa files
4) load up the .mpg file in M2-edit 5.0 (windows)
4a) edit the video to remove commercials
4b) export the edited video back out to a .mpg file (note - not transcoding here)
5) use M2-edit's Demux tool (since its already loaded up:) to convert the edited .mpg into .m2v / .mpa files
5a) delete the edited .mpg file
6) convert the 32k .mpa file into 2 channel stereo 48k .ac3 file using BeSweet (ac3 files are more compliant with DVD's then mp2 files)
6a) delete the 32k .mpa file
7) use DVD patcher to patch the first header of the .m2v file to 720x480)
8) load the patched .m2v and the 48k .mpa files into DVD Maestro.
9) author the DVD with menus, etc.
10) burn the DVD

How about this:

1) extract the .ty file
3) convert the 32k .mpa file into 2 channel stereo 48k .ac3 file using BeSweet (ac3 files are more compliant with DVD's then mp2 files)
4) import the .m2v to Maestro (already at 352x480 or 720x480), make sure it doesn't have any GOP error or warning
5) edit the video to remove commercials (I explained it some posts above, I'll take some pictures of the process and put them in a .zip file for upload)
6) create sync audio
7) author the DVD with menus, etc.
8) burn the DVD

So if you change your SA resolution to DVD compliant and change your audio to 48k ac3, then you will end with a good DVD every time, and no transcode/reencode the video.

I don't have my SA ready for this (using DTivo) but I guess this will work, and I intend to configure my SA this way (at 352x480) to transfer some home VHS movies to DVD.

2ride
02-18-2003, 12:49 PM
FreydNot what versoin of m2-edit are you using. I have tried using version 5 and really like the interface however when I generate the edited mpg it seems to pad ALOT to the stream. Generated streams have been over 4 times the size of the original. This is all without transcoding.

When you demux does the padding go away?

TIA

CptKirk
02-18-2003, 12:53 PM
How do you go about changing the SA resolution to the DVD standard of 720x480 or 352x480?

CptKirk
02-18-2003, 01:28 PM
Scratch that question folks. I found it, sorry about that.

Hi8
02-18-2003, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by bato
I don't have my SA ready for this (using DTivo) but I guess this will work, and I intend to configure my SA this way (at 352x480) to transfer some home VHS movies to DVD.

I use a similar method ; works flawlessly on both my dtivo and SA tivos extracting streams from a CATV or SAT feed. However I have had problems when trying to convert my VHS tapes. I recorded them on my TiVo (SA) using either S-Video or Composite inputs. But always lose audio sync coming back out doing the TitleSet creation. I never could figure out why, I thought it being an analog input it would'nt be any different than my DirectTv reciever's input/output.

I was guessing it had something to do with a different framerate when it is recording from a TAPE as a source?

Pr.Sinister
02-18-2003, 02:01 PM
FreydNot what versoin of m2-edit are you using. I have tried using version 5 and really like the interface however when I generate the edited mpg it seems to pad ALOT to the stream. Generated streams have been over 4 times the size of the original. This is all without transcoding.

When you demux does the padding go away?

TIA

Have you tried patching the first header to a lower bitrate than
15.0MBit with DVD Patcher?

It might work.

2ride
02-18-2003, 04:36 PM
success with m2-edit and tydemux

1) used tydemux to demux ty stream
2) used tmpgenc to mux into mpg
3) edited in m2-edit
4) generated new edited mpg using m2-edit, this is the weird part, generated mpg is over 3 times the size of original mpg.
5) demux generated mpg using m2-edit, this is the good part, demuxed streams are back to original size
6) patch from 480x480 to 720x480 to 'fake out' spruce products
7) load into spruce ( to generate index files) or maestro should work too
8) patch back to 480x480
9) load back into spruce
10) author
11) burn

This looks like a lot but it really isn't too difficult. most of the work is done in m2-edit which I have found to be a very easy to use tool.

I was able to obtain a non trail version of m2-edit via the donkey network

BubbleLamp
02-18-2003, 05:04 PM

3) edited in m2-edit
4) generated new edited mpg using m2-edit, this is the weird part, generated mpg is over 3 times the size of original mpg.
5) demux generated mpg using m2-edit, this is the good part, demuxed streams are back to original size
8) patch back to 480x480
9) load back into spruce
10) author
11) burn

This looks like a lot but it really isn't too difficult. most of the work is done in m2-edit which I have found to be a very easy to use tool.

Is it transcoding during step 4?

2ride
02-18-2003, 05:12 PM
there is no transcoding going on while generating edited mpg in m2-edit. It even tells you it won't transcode. The extra size in the output is a padding stream. I don't know why/how/what the padding does but tmpgenc shows it if you try and demux.

Pr.Sinister
02-18-2003, 08:35 PM

3) edited in m2-edit
8) patch back to 480x480
9) load back into spruce
10) author
11) burn

Was this a DTiVo TyStream? I assume yes because of 480x480.

Once you burnt the DVD, did you check to see if you kept sync
from START TO FINISH?

-Pr.

TRILIGHT
02-18-2003, 10:19 PM
Damn! Looks like I have a bit of reading to do to "catch up" on all the new ideas people have come up with! ;) Great job everyone! I've just been demuxing via TyTool and then editing/calculating delay values (the guide is on my site) but it sounds like I've been doing it the "hard way". I'll have to try some of the methods listed here and see if it's any faster. What I do now gives me perfect results. It's just not a "fast" process. ;)

2ride
02-20-2003, 03:18 PM
using the method I outlined earlier in this thread to edit and burn using tydemux and m2edit, the video and audio are synched all the way through.

Pr S the issue you were having was using gopeditor and tytool so it is completly different.

I still want to end up using gopeditor since it is fast but I had problems using movie factory to generate the video_ts folder.

I am going to try again tonight with some smaller files ( the mpg I was using was over 4gig ) and see if I can get it to work that way.

Growing up in Tampa, FL my primary mission has been editing commercials out of the Super Bowl, which is a very large file. I think if I shift gears to working on 30 minute shows I will be able to learn more about different methods in a shorter time.

Can't wait for the latest features from Olaf and co and Jdiner.

We'll be where we want to be before long.

nulpi
02-23-2003, 10:55 AM
Hello CptKirk,

Originally posted by CptKirk
I had just posted this to another thread before I saw this one.

Sonicís MyDVD v4.0 build 68905 will process an m2v file created by TyTool 6r1a without any problems.

A 219M m2v file results in a 315M vob (dvd mpeg2) file which WinDVD v4.0.05.039 shows as the following:

I just tried out your process. I used a 1.4GB M2V stream (with audio muxed), generated by TyTool6 in MyDVD. I can't burn this directly to DVD (button is grayed out for some reason), so I generated a DVD directory. It took about 12 hours to do so and the generated VIDEO_TS folder is now 5.6GB big, which obviously doesn't fit on a DVD+/-R. The quality seems to be slightly better (less artefacts), than just using IFOEDIT and the M2V/M2A pair, but the size is unacceptable. Do you have any idea how to make it smaller, so it will fit?

Bye,

Thorsten.

2ride
02-23-2003, 12:21 PM
I think mydvd is transcoding the video

try patching the first frame of the video to 352x480 and 3.5 mbps

this worked in tricking ulead dvd movie factory to not transcode the video

spinxter
02-23-2003, 07:36 PM
I have a real easy way I use to make DVDs:

1) extract with TyTool in mplex mode.
2) change file extension of m2v to mpg.
3) edit in TMPGEnc.
4) demux with TMPGEnc.
5) author with IFOEdit.
6) Burn with Nero.

I get no menu or chapters, but it works fine and I do minimal work. I don't transcode any audio or apply any DVD Patch. I record with a Phillips SA and it still plays just fine on my DVD players.

linenoise
02-24-2003, 08:17 PM
I use TyTool6r1 to extract Ty file in TyStream mode. I then load the m2v and m2a files into TMPGEnc 2.58. I edit out the commercials, and then encode as a DVD NTSC (Mpeg-2 720x480 29.97fps CBR 5000kbps, Layer-2 48000HZ 384kbps) I have tried the stream as a System type, and an elementary type, and whenever I try to drag the files into DVD-IT, I'm told that DVDit! could not find a suitable decoder for and files I put in (mpg, m2v, m2a, or mp2)
Please help

One more thing, I resize the file to 720 x 480 in TMPEnc

jaja
02-24-2003, 09:53 PM
I use TyTool6 in Multiplex mode which generates a clean .m2v file.

The .m2v files are sized at about 22 MB per minute of video. For example, a 30 minute episode of Seinfeld results in a .m2v file of about 650 MB.

When importing the .m2v files into Sonic MyDVD however, that 30 minute episode baloons into ... 2 GB of DVD space. This means that I can only fit 60 minutes on one DVD.

What gives?

alexbabyboy
02-24-2003, 10:26 PM
I used Mydvd 2.3 with DTIVO stream, if you start new project with DVD compliant, then it will transcode it to 740x480, but if you use cDVD which won't do any video transcoding, so you can fit about 3.5 hours.

jaja
02-24-2003, 10:34 PM
I give up ... what is a "cDVD"?

I know what a DVD is. I also know what VCDs and SVCDs are but ... "cDVD"?

b.t.w., I'm using MyDVD version 3.5.1. When starting MyDVD, I'm asked whether I want to create a DVD or VCD. That's it.

Pr.Sinister
02-24-2003, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by jaja
I give up ... what is a "cDVD"?

I know what a DVD is. I also know what VCDs and SVCDs are but ... "cDVD"?

b.t.w., I'm using MyDVD version 3.5.1. When starting MyDVD, I'm asked whether I want to create a DVD or VCD. That's it.

I know in 3.5.5, after you select DVD, in the bottom right corner
you can change to a cDVD. Unless it was in DVDit!. Either way,
you guys should definately try DVD Workshop or DVD Movie
Factory. Both by Ulead. If you check my thread, a lot of people
have had success creating very professional looking DVDs with
it. If you don't know what thread i am talking about, it is this
one : DVD Workshop & DVD Movie Factory Thread (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21728)

-Pr.

linenoise
02-24-2003, 11:04 PM
But you loose out with AC3 with Ulead products

jaja
02-24-2003, 11:52 PM
On the bottom right corner of MyDVD 3.5.1, there is an arrow where I can select one of the following:

DVD (4.7 GB)
CD (650 MB)
CD (700 MB)
DVD-RAM (2.6 GB)

Since I put a blank DVD in the drive, I selected the first option.

02-25-2003, 09:51 AM
Jaja--The ty files (and all files that come from them) are not 100% compatable. Many of the software programs don't work well with them.

You can either be a pioneer and spend a lot of time trying to get your program to work or you can just follow the how tos from people who have already gotten other programs to work.

IFOEdit is freely available and works well. Do a search for information on how to make it work.

jaja
02-25-2003, 02:31 PM
What will IFOEdit do?

Where can I download it?

Pr.Sinister
02-25-2003, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by linenoise
But you loose out with AC3 with Ulead products

I use AC3 on my DVD's and i use DVD Workshop
or DVD Movie Factory. Both are from Ulead.

-Pr.

jaja
02-25-2003, 03:25 PM
We discussed in another post that ulead movie factory doesn't work on my 1 yr old ... 512 Meg ... 1.5 Ghz ... 80 Gig... P4 ... SONY VAIO PCVRX470DS.

Isn't that funny? The "DS" stands for Digital Studio. That means that these PCs are specially designed for video editing and production.

02-25-2003, 04:16 PM
Do a search on these boards for detailed instructions.

Demux, use Ifoedit (google search to get website) then use your burning software to burn the DVD. You may also have to use besweet to "fix" the audio file.

linenoise
02-25-2003, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by Pr.Sinister
I use AC3 on my DVD's and i use DVD Workshop
or DVD Movie Factory. Both are from Ulead.

-Pr.

I stand corrected. I might have an older version.

spinxter
02-25-2003, 06:49 PM
I can't seem to figure out what I need to do to an mp2 to get it from 32 to 48khz. I'm using BeSweet 1.4 and it never works. I end up with a file half the size of the original with the audio at double-speed and it's still 32khz.

Can anyone give detailed instructions for an apparent ***** like me?

Hi8
02-25-2003, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by spinxter
I can't seem to figure out what I need to do to an mp2 to get it from 32 to 48khz. I'm using BeSweet 1.4 and it never works. I end up with a file half the size of the original with the audio at double-speed and it's still 32khz.

Can anyone give detailed instructions for an apparent ***** like me?

BeSweet.exe -core( -input "%1\%2.m2a" -output "%1\out32.wav" -2ch ) ssrc.exe --rate 48000 --twopass "%1\out32.wav" "%1\out48.wav" toolame.exe -m s -b 224 -e "%1\out48.wav" "%1\out48.mp2"

(all on oneline)

spinxter
02-25-2003, 07:39 PM
I can't even follow that! I have no idea what to do with all of that. I guess I will just find another way.

linenoise
02-26-2003, 01:31 AM
Originally posted by Hi8
BeSweet.exe -core( -input "%1\%2.m2a" -output "%1\out32.wav" -2ch ) ssrc.exe --rate 48000 --twopass "%1\out32.wav" "%1\out48.wav" toolame.exe -m s -b 224 -e "%1\out48.wav" "%1\out48.mp2"

(all on oneline)

Spinxter,
That is just a DOS Command line to run BeSweet with certain attributes. Just copy the whole thing, on one line, into your command.com, or run box, or dos window.

I recomend choosing run, typing in cmd, press enter, and then pasting the above next to your dos prompt.

gumby
02-26-2003, 02:26 AM
A bit different from the other post in the thread.

1.) Grab the video from the mfs-ftp server on my phillips series 1.
2.) untar the .tmf file, then use tytool to split to m2v, m2a.
3.) Tmpgenc, to mux to .mpg
4.) Cut/edit commercials (still in Tmpgenc), using "source range / cut edit" and encode with the following params:
a.) bit rate 5800 if recorded best quality, 3600 if good quality
b.) de-interlaced
c.) audio bit rate at 196K

I bought a mintek DVD-1600 player at Best Buy ($57.00) that plays native mpeg-2 files, so at this point I burn the .mpg directly to a DVD+RW in data mode, and can watch it thru the player. As soon as I found this "feature" I went and bought a 2nd.

I've went ahead and burned to DVD mode a couple of times, but I seem to get better quality by just watching the native .mpg files.

I just finished a 1 hour 52 minute movie recorded from digital cable in best quality, final file size was 3.52 Gig.

spinxter
02-26-2003, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by linenoise
Spinxter,
That is just a DOS Command line to run BeSweet with certain attributes. Just copy the whole thing, on one line, into your command.com, or run box, or dos window.

I recomend choosing run, typing in cmd, press enter, and then pasting the above next to your dos prompt.

I understand that. But I don't know the difference between "%1\%2.m2a, "%1\out32.wav, "%1\out48.wav, "%1\out48.mp2. What is what?

I converted another way last night. (mp2 > wav > upsample > mp2) It worked just fine, but when I muxed it back, the DVD Patch trick didn't work anymore. Before I split, upsampled, and muxed the file it was 5GB. I could apply DVD Patch to it and Movie Factory would show it as taking up 2GB of disc space. After the audio was changed, it would show the movie taking 5GB of space no matter what I did. This video is only 115 minutes. It should fit on a disc. I have no idea why it won't.

spinxter
02-26-2003, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by gumby
A bit different from the other post in the thread.

I just finished a 1 hour 52 minute movie recorded from digital cable in best quality, final file size was 3.52 Gig.

How do you get it so small? 1 hour 52 minutes from digital cable in best quality for me gets a file over 5GB. I am using the default bitrates. I don't understand why my recordings are so huge. I am using 480x480.

Bunkie11
01-19-2004, 10:00 PM
My Pioneer DV333 does not like 480x480 video on DVR. If you are patching the header, you are not changing the size of the video so that won't help me, correct? I would still need to re-encode with TMPGEnc or CinemaCraft from 480x480 (SVCD) to 720x480 (DVD std.) correct?

My problem with TMPGEnc is that I keep getting read errors from the .d2v file created with v1.76 of DVD2AVI.

When I do a normal DVD rip, I don't get read errors. Seem sto be something weird with the .d2v file created from the .vob in TyTool.

Any comments would be appreciated thx.

Hi8
01-19-2004, 10:07 PM
My Pioneer DV333 does not like 480x480 video on DVR. If you are patching the header, you are not changing the size of the video so that won't help me, correct? I would still need to re-encode with TMPGEnc or CinemaCraft from 480x480 (SVCD) to 720x480 (DVD std.) correct?

My problem with TMPGEnc is that I keep getting read errors from the .d2v file created with v1.76 of DVD2AVI.

When I do a normal DVD rip, I don't get read errors. Seem sto be something weird with the .d2v file created from the .vob in TyTool.

Any comments would be appreciated thx.

do yourself a favor and save time and agravation, buy a new inexpensive DVD player -

Bunkie11
02-29-2004, 06:44 PM
Here is what is working for me right now:

Hardware:
DTivo DSR6000

Software Required:
TyTool 8r3
DVD2AVI
TMPGEnc 2.521
VFAPI Converter
Cinema Craft Encoder 2.50

1. Download .ty file from DTivo using TyTool, use VCD/SVCD Mux output.
2. Create Key file from .ty file.
3. Edit Key file to cut parts as required.
4. Create .vob file from .ty file with TyTool.
5. Load .vob file into DVD2AVI and save project -> creates .d2v and .mpa file.
6. Load .d2v file and .mpa file into TMPGEnc., set for DVD-NTSC, deinterlace double, etc. Save as .tpr project.
7. Load .tpr into VFAPI Converter. Create .avi frame file.
8. Load .avi file into Cinema Craft Encoder 2.50. Convert 480x480 video to standard DVD 720x480, and separate audio file. (.mpv and .mpa)
9. Mux the resulting .mpv and .mpa file with TMPGEnc. (Simple mux) -> creates an .mpg file.
10. Use DVD Lab or other authoring software to create DVD Video and Audio folders using the .mpg file.
11. Burn the TS_AUDIO and TS_VIDEO folders with DVD Lab or other burning software.

Steps 7-9 could be replaced by doing the re-encoding in TMPGEnc, however I get read errors with that software and CCE is more dependable. TMPG needs to create the ability to resume an encoding process when these errors occur.

Bunkie11

OutlawPro
03-03-2004, 06:27 PM
Here's my current process:

1) Download .ty file from SA1 using TyTool
a) Standard Mux Output
b) Audio Transcodeing 48@192
c) Patch Audio Holes (just in case)
2) Create key file using TyTool
3) Make cuts using TyTool/GOB Editor
4) Mutiplex Files to .mpg using TyTool
5) Load .mpg file into DVDLab, create menu, save file structure
6) Burn to DVD using Nero v6.3.0.3

Note: The only reason I use DVDLab instead of doing the entire process in TyTool is because I get better control of the menu creation.

I'm still confused as to why people spend sooooo much time reencoding the video to 720x480. I basically see it as adding data that isn't there since you go from 480 lines of data to 720. I know 480x480 isn't in spec, but it still plays fine on most players. The other option is to just have the Tivo record at 720x480. Either way, like I said, just confusing to me as to the why of it all. If I'm totally off base, please let me know.

erhan
03-03-2004, 10:22 PM
Interesting, I would have thought the process would be much easier if you have a DVD player that can play MPEG files directly. I just tried and my dirt cheap Norcent DP300 can do that ($25 AR, Amazon.com)

So, my process is:

1. Download .ty using whatever (mfs_ftp, tserver)
2. Make key files
3. Edit key files, cut out stuff
4. Mux to MPEG (no transcoding, or anything fancy, plain mux)
5. Repeat steps 1-4 for other shows/movies
6. Burn MPGs using Nero as an ISO DVD
7. Pop the DVD into Norcent, use the file-explorer menu to pick the MPEG

happyemailer
03-08-2004, 02:49 PM
I have a UK Tivo (Series 1), but my Toshiba SD330 (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?p=149255&highlight=toshiba#post149255) doesn't handle Tivo resolutions (but otherwise is a fine DVD player, and fairly new so I'm not planning to changed).

I'm looking at various scary options (http://www.ljay.org.uk/tivoweb/tivo_fpga.html) to change the FPGA settings to allow 720x576 as default (which is what I'd need for PAL DVD)

However, I still have my old recordings.

Although the latest Tytool seems to do a grand job at cutting and creating an .mpg file that looks perfectly fine, I'm finding problems with transcoding and creating DVDs.

I've been using Sonic MyDVD 5.2 (which I use for home movies and is generally a dream to use), but when taking a Tytool .mpg, audio is generally a fraction of a second out of sync after an hour or so.

Anyone else using MyDVD 5.2 (its the latest) with more success ?

Paul

lgkahn
03-14-2004, 10:37 AM
I am burning super video cd's svcd with nero 6 using tytools9r11

I simply pull off the parts (anyone know why I don't select get parts the file is the correct size but not the whole movie)

I then use tyslit to split it into parts 7000 chunks max each which is about 917 meg per chunk or about an hour overburned per disc...

then vob-mux file directly to vobs and drag these files into the nero svcd project and select relex compliance when it complains about the 48khz audio.. and overburn the project to my svcd.. they play fine on my sony
dvp n715p play... anyone know how to get chapter marks on them.. I assume I would have to split to an mpg first.. but then I get the whole audio out of sync problem I would imagine... they way I am doing it going right from ty to vob everything is always in perfect sync....

SurfBoy
03-16-2004, 02:14 AM
Anyone else using MyDVD 5.2 (its the latest) with more success ?
I couldn't get 5.2 to play nice. I use DVD-lab.
DirecTV TiVo - to - DVDR Process (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showpost.php?p=149289&postcount=36)