PDA

View Full Version : One hour MPEG from TyTool6 to CD..Possible?

RxMan
02-17-2003, 09:12 AM
I want to be able to take a one hour show recorded on a DTivo and ran thru TyTool6 to produce a mpeg and fit it on one 700mb cd. Is this possible? I will just be watching it on a computer. I don't need svcd or vcd compliance.

Thanks

Pr.Sinister
02-17-2003, 09:31 AM
It all depends on the channel it was recorded from. Most of the
time, if you take an hour show and remove commercials, it won't
fit on 1 CD. But i was able to get the Superbowl episode of Alias
to fit on 1 CD after removing the commercials, "previously on Alias",
and "Next week on Alias"

-Pr.

RxMan
02-17-2003, 09:56 AM
I guess I thought there was a way to get a little less quality and thus reduce the size. I want to record 'SportsCenter' and be able to fit it on one cd and watch on a computer.

keith721
02-17-2003, 03:20 PM
... to a lower bitrate with TMPGenc, but it's really time-consuming.

BareMetal
02-18-2003, 11:19 PM
You could always convert the mpg file to a mpg4 file and that should cut down the size so you can put it on a cd.. and keep the quailty pretty high.

do a google search and see what you can find.

Barrett
02-19-2003, 05:13 AM
Yes, you can do this easily, change the resource settings in TivoWeb to lower bitrates, I used the method on this page:
http://themurrays.homeip.net/downloads/tivo/tivo.html and an hour tv episode minus commercials comes out to about 680-700 megs, You can lower the bitrate as much as you want to get it to fit, it is easier this way as there is no reencoding needed, just edit out the commercials with TMPG which doesnt take more than 5 minutes.

zabs
02-19-2003, 10:28 AM
Transcoding to an SVCD standard with TMPGenc is probably your simplest bet. Sure it takes awhile, but everyone own's a p4 3ghz right? If you have processor time to kill and don't care about compliance, look at using 2 pass VBR as the encoding method. It will take twice the time, but the resulting quality will be much better and it still may play on some stand alone dvd players.

wallmartian
02-19-2003, 12:31 PM
I have been playing around with the KVCD templates for TMPGenc and am able to get 120 minutes of video down to less than 256 megs. I did this so I could play them on my PDA's 256 meg compact flash card. I use the 240 x 176 template, obviously the quality isn't as good as the original mpeg which was over a gigabyte in size but for my purposes its not bad at all. There are other templates at their site that will allow a lot of tweaking of mpegs. Let me know if you need the url for their site.

RxMan
02-19-2003, 12:57 PM
Thanks for replies. I have a DTivo, I don't think I can change bitrates.
Is the TMPGenc method time consuming? ie. transcoding?
I will take the link if I am not looking at a 8 hour process.

lonaman
02-19-2003, 05:38 PM
I also have a DTivo, and it is easy to change the Bitrates in TivoWeb. Just follow the instructions from the link above posted by Barrett. Once you change the bitrate to your SVCD customized one, clear the program data and ToDo List (this does actually take an hour or more), and re-create your Season Pass info using TivoWeb. I used TivoWeb because it allows you to specify which recording quality you want to use for each program. I could not find this option using the remote. There are only a couple of programs I like to extract, so I record them in the SVCD format, and leave everthing else in the Best (high quality) format. Good luck.

bato
02-19-2003, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by lonaman
I also have a DTivo, and it is easy to change the Bitrates in TivoWeb. Just follow the instructions from the link above posted by Barrett.

I always read that DTivo record the data stream directly so you can't change bitrates. This is the first time I read that it can be done, strange.

lonaman
02-19-2003, 08:59 PM
Let me qualify my last post. I changed the bitrates via TivoWeb and set the recording options via TivoWeb, but I have not actually recorded a program with these settings as of yet, so I do not know for absolute certain that it works. I will try it tonight with a TV show and see what happens.

lonaman
02-20-2003, 08:39 AM
I was wrong and bato was right. The show was recorded at 15 MBps on the Dtivo instead of the SVCD bitrate I specified. Oh well, guess conversion is a necessary step. I apologize for leading you astray.