PDA

View Full Version : DSR600 bad tuner

bbok
02-17-2003, 09:38 AM
*edit*Whoops should read DSR6000 *

I just received my E-bay purchased DSR 6000 and I am 99.9% my Tuner #1 is DEAD!!
(Insert 4-letter expletive here)

I am only able to get every other transponder from Tuner#1 so I can’t get past the intro.

To verify that it was the tuner I unhooked the multiswitch and ran the cable directly from the LNB to a 420re. Checked that both even & odd are coming through with 90+ signal strength, watched some channels to proved that everything was AOK.

I then took the cable off the 420 and hooked it to the Dtivo. Sure enough Tuner #1 still only gets every other transponder. I then moved the cable from Tuner #1 to Tuner #2 and it WILL get both even/odd off of this feed.

Here is my personal complication. I live in Canada so getting this pig serviced is going to be a royal pain!! I have spent most of the weekend searching a number of different forums trying to get a “nice” solution to this problem but with no success.

I have read the threads here about moving tuner #2 into the #1 position. Given my personal abilities I can likely “just” manage that but then I am still left with only 1 tuner.

I have also searched the forums and E-bay for a dtivo that I could scavenge for parts but with no success.

Soooo. where do I go now??? I mean at this point am I further ahead just buying another unit altogether!?!? There appears to be no place to by a replacement tuner that I could solder in and no one appears to be selling any for parts?? Philips wants 99.95 to repair it and from what I have read Philips can really take their sweet time!! Their parts center wants you to sign up for a credit line and I am sure they would be real pleased to hear from a Canuck!! lol

What other model numbers could I look at getting that I could remove a tuner from?
Any idea, apart from Philips, where I should get it fixed, or is $100 about as cheap and easy as anywhere.

I am stumped. I was just getting into tivo and really don’t know where else to go.

This is a great forum BTW. I have lurked here for awhile now...just wish my first post had been about extreme or something and not this

Thanks

bbok
02-17-2003, 03:01 PM
Well I have managed to find this.

Can anyone confirm/deny that this is the part here??

NIM for DVB-S - BSRU6-Series

www. alps.de/index.php?mapid=225

(sorry wasn't sure about the rules on URLs)

If it is .... its just as case of getting them to sell it to me (lol)

captain_video
02-17-2003, 03:12 PM
If they won't sell it to you directly you may wish to inquire about distributors that would do so. Let us know what you find out. Thre have been quite a few posts about members looking for new tuner modules. Good luck!

Neutronflux
02-17-2003, 03:26 PM
Totally give us the heads up on replacement tuner parts / cost / availability ---

There are definitely alot of us with dead second tuners... I for one have a T60 with no signal on Input 2 ---

bbok
02-17-2003, 04:05 PM
Don't worry..now that I have got into this and realize what an enormous pain in the posterior this issue is I will be sure to post all findings. It would be the least I could do given the amount that members of this forum have given me (Kraven, superzap etc. etc....its a looong list). In fact I have made a couple of inquiries and we will have to wait and see.

But lets say I do find the part. Hacking the old one out and putting in new should not be a problem, whereas trying to extract tuner#2 and move it to #1 would be the limit of my abilities. What should I (we) expect to pay for the replacement I really have no clue as this is outside my usual knowledge... according to the Philips web site they will repair for 99.95...so we will have to see what one costs to determine if its worthwhile.

Ok So lets say I send it back, The original hard drive has not been touched and I am not even certian what version software is on it. It was was bought off e-bay and when I plugged it in it said it hadn't been connected since March last year

Whats the upside/downside of having a family member send this back to philips for me to fix? Will they try and replace it on me??
Is there another Tivo unit that I could purchase to get another tuner (other than the Sony T-60 and Hughes GXCEB0TD) that would fit the bill?
Have I missed anything...could it be anything else in the unit that woudl cause this?!?!?!
Thanks for the input

captain_video
02-17-2003, 04:13 PM
Unless the series 2 HDVR2 uses the same tuner I believe you have already listed all your possibilities. I suppose there may be some standalone DTV receivers that use the same tuner but there's no way of knowing without access to part numbers for each make and model. There are a couple of other repair facilities identified in the How Tos for getting your DTivo fixed if that's the way you want to go.

keith721
02-17-2003, 05:23 PM
if you'd given that tuner the 'super road-test' of actually tapping and thumping it (gently, of course) while it was failing. if it's a faulty or cold solder joint to the tuner underneath the board, it may be as simple as re-soldering the connections beneath the tuner module.

of course, the other possibility is that it's one of the power components (that feed voltage to the tuner) in need of replacement, but you'll never know if you don't check...

hope this helps (somewhat) :)

keith721

homeytc
02-17-2003, 09:50 PM
check out this link
http://www.truettelectronics.com/philips_dss.htm

DSR6000

No Signal
Will start to power up the turn off and back on
Please insert access card or insert valid access card
Only getting transponders 1-5

We charge $80.00 + shipping to fix these units. This price does not cover the tuners.

This might be some what of a help to you.

bbok
02-17-2003, 10:45 PM
Thanks for the suggestions folks

Well I tried the “adjustment” looking for a cold joint but with no success. I may pull the mother board ot look at the bottom just to get a look.

Thanks for the links to the service centres Capt. Video and HomeyTC. I am going to give them a ring tomorrow and see what they have to say about cost and about Canadian customers. I do this stuff for fun and a hobby. if this was just an Extra unit I would be mor epatient but I REALLY want to get this thing up and running.

I enjoy a challenge but this is brutal!!

We charge $80.00 + shipping to fix these units. This price does not cover the tuners.<<< It's this part THAT SCARES ME..what are they gonna charge for tuners!!
:eek:

Its not gonna be too many more dollars and I am further ahead looking for another and keeping THIS one for parts!!

Gonna keep looking though..all thoughts and suggestions are appreciated.

cali
02-18-2003, 11:41 AM
Tuners can be bought for about $70, from sony.
Best thing to do is swap tuners to eliminate the LNBP chip as being bad.

Truett, will not sell parts to anyone unless in quantity. they also said there are no more tuners out there, but like I said $70 through Sony.

If you LNBP chips are bad, you are sol, cuz only truett has em in stock and they want ya to buy 100 at a time.

bbok
02-18-2003, 12:26 PM
Many thanks Cali and to all for the reposnses

I have been working on this post over the morning so it kind of rambles.

Tuesday AM

Well I just spoke to a friendly Gentleman at Truett. He said if it’s the voltage IC then we are ok and they can repair it for $80. If however, it’s the tuner, he says I am SOL. he said they were so bad they have gone through the ones they had. I also spoke with a fellow at Digital Recorder who basically said they have no parts but that they would remove one from a board and then replace it for around $100. For almost a third of what I paid for the unit in the first place I may as well get another unit and keep this one for parts.

The long and the short of it is it appears that these things are bigger pigs than I though!!!

Tuesday 12 pm
Well my day has improved. I thought because I had passed the time limited stipulated by the Ebay auction I was going to be SOL but I spoke with the VERY nice people at Online they are going to credit me the whole shot!!! They were even willing to pay to get it fixed if it could be done for $$<100.( Sorry to put such a plug in here but I that am impressed!!!)

I would go for the repair but I am now wondering would the next one be any better?? more on that later

Here is what I have been able to gleen so far in my parts search for DVB-S tuners.

The part # on the tuner itself has

BSRU6-101A3OJ
BSRU6-101A
082815A

In the Sony T-60 Service Manual posted elsewhere on this forum the part # is referenced as 9-885-018-88. This is USELESS though as I have yet to be able to find any mention of this # on the net. The block diagram at the beginning of the manual refers to it as a “SAT TUNER ALPS” <---Cali where do I go to find a Sony supplier???

a search of ALPS and BSRU6 revealed

http://www.alps.co.uk/1024/products/rf-qpsk.htm
and a similar link I posted above

Also this one may prove interesting
http://www.ihielectronics.com/new/part_search.html

After you launch the “search parts window”

Type in BSRU6 into the field and select “restrict search to same prefix”

You should get 2 hits both of which look like they “should” work. I have spoken to these folks and they only want to sell to companies not to individuals

They want a minimum of 100 pieces!!!

So as much as I hate to admit defeat I think I will wimp out and return the unit for a full refund. But this leaves me without a Tivo (insert new 4 letter expletive here!!!). So who wants to sell me a WORKING Tivo lol…

cali
02-23-2003, 04:46 PM
What is their price per 100 qty?
I'm sure we can find 100 people in tivo land that need tuners.

I have 3 dead ones and I know 2 have a bad st part(STV0299)
I have been trying to dina a place to purchase those but no luck so far.

Also as of last week the TUNERS were on Sony's site and in stock, but now today after I decided ill go ahead and buy it, there is no listing of it anymore.

Was about $65...oh well....

cali
02-23-2003, 05:16 PM
Also this one may be very close

The QPSK chip is what is bad on 2 of 3 of my dead tuners. Im also inclined to guess that it is the problem on the 3rd and most of you guys' tuners.

All of you guys with DEAD TUNERS can try this:

http://web.tampabay.rr.com/calimark/IM000787.JPG

Using you multimeter measure resistance from the RED DOT to the case of the tuner.
Based on my observation anything under 2k is going or gone.
Post your measurements. I had two of them that measured 0 ohms , and I removed one of them, and the measurement came up.

Cali

The freakign image wont show up...dont knwo why...just click the link

Pro-289
02-23-2003, 09:59 PM
It's funny, well maybe not, but I had just returned a dsr6000 I had purchased from a canadian company which had something wrong with it. It would not get higher than xponder 5 for any stable amount of time. nothing wrong with odd or evens though, just a high block range problem.

It was returned on 2/13. I wonder if you got my return. ;)

bbok
02-24-2003, 12:38 PM
Cali, sorry I did not get a price but will try and do so.

lots of 100 at approx 50 (I am just guessing now) is 5 grand and then there just the pain of pulling it all together, runnig the show etc. I am not certain I am that interested.

The other concern I have is "Is this the right Part?!?!?" this is far from my speciality. Did anyone check out the link I gave for them??? so you could spend 5K to find otu they ar enot EXACLTY what you want EEK!!

Pro-289...No it was not I would have reiceved my unit before then but you now have me worried cuz they are going to send a replacement unit!!! just wondering if all the stuff they got is garbage...

Their name didn't have "liquidation" in it by any chance?? (oh brother :mad: )

Thanks

cali
02-24-2003, 07:33 PM
bb,
Have you sent an inquiry to alps for the unit below?

I have reviewed its specs and it should work ( except for the 90 deg bend on the pins)

It is i2c complaint and it has the QPSK demodulator(STv0299B), which is a later version than a, and I believe should work.

I took one of the STV chips off another tuner I had and put it on the bad one, will try it tonight in my system, but theres no gurantee it will work, since the tuner I got if off was possibly bad.

I have been trying to track down the STV2099A chip, but no luck so far. The tuners have 4 parts in them, 3 of which should be readily available and less than $5 each.

Has anyone with a dead tuner done the resistance measurement that I posted above?

Cali

Neutronflux
02-24-2003, 08:50 PM
[Disclaimer - I do no work for the NSA - CIA - FBI or Bin Laden]

Cali - I'm intrigued, what exactly do you do for a living? Man, I'm into tech but I can't hold a candle to most of the guys on this board... Time for an Electronics degree... [as opposed to philosophy]

If I'm prying, -- sorry...

cali
02-24-2003, 09:14 PM
BSEE :)

bbok
02-24-2003, 11:27 PM
Sorry Cal I did not post this but I e-mailed them and so far no reposnse. but will try again tomorrow.

I am pleased that you did confirm that these look like they will work. I "thought" they should but wanted a second opinion.

Devils Advocate Question" If they are this easy (easy being a relative term) to find....Why don't the 2 repair shops mentioned earlier buy them..Remeber Truett says they are out of stock and the folks at digital recorder are removing them from dead recievers (can you say LABOR CHARGES!!)?????????????????

This is what puzzles me the most.

Neutron ...doesn't matter about your education...you just can't be afraid of being electrocuted :)

cali
02-24-2003, 11:50 PM
bbok,
I also sent an inquiry.
The tuner still doesnt work since the stv chip I put on it had a low resistance (30 ohm), on the 3V line.
I have found 3 bad STV's on all 3 dead tuners.

Now for some nice info:
WinTv by Happauge appears to use the STV0299 in their tuner.
I am going to look into picking one up to examine, and see what I can get done as far as *borrowing* the chip.

Its sad that I work for a company that I am 95% sure makes tuners with this damn chip, but in another country, else I could have them buy me a *few extras*.

cali

bbok
02-25-2003, 12:40 PM
Cali,

try these guys for the chip

search for STV0299 here

http://www.aeri.com/

Right now I have my fingers crossed that the nnew" unit I recieve will not have any problems...but I would love to know there are options out there.

Thanks for everyone input to this thread

cali
02-25-2003, 05:34 PM
sent one using company info....will see what they say.
How many people are gonna need it? Thats the big question.
I'm sure if they have it I can work something out to get a few for SAMPLE/EVAL purposes.

Cali

bbok
02-25-2003, 09:53 PM
Good stuff Cali

i just can't get over how difficult it is to get parts for these things when the tuners (or viariants thereof) show up all over the place.

Haupage is a good example.

I will post a couple of websites I have found where vairants have been used.

dizman
02-26-2003, 12:20 PM
I am in the same boat with you guys. I have a DSR that went belly up on the tuner. Cali if you get one this and it works keep us informed. I would rather replace the chip myself.

bbok
02-26-2003, 12:25 PM
Hey Cali

here is the page I was talking about..maybe we have to steal one of a TV tuner card???

http://www.geocities.com/buenavista18/

cali
02-26-2003, 12:34 PM
What page???? I dont see one....
but yeas that was what I was hinting to above when I say *borrow*.
I dont know how many folks have tools to take the chip off of that one.

Also I see a few folks with bad tuners posting, but no one is saying anything about that measurement I posted. I would like to get a feel for what is bad on majority of tuners, and if I can do it,

I'd buy 100 and re-sell them so everyone can fix their tuners.

Cali
ahh..u edited it!

edit #2: I saw that page already..thats where I was able to confirm presence of the chip. I will check my local bestbuy this weekend.:D

angel-78
03-01-2003, 11:51 PM
I extremed a friends t60, he had not been using second tuner, now that he is using it he is getting searching for signal on tuner 2. If you reset it comes back and about 8 to 12 hours later it has the same problem. Trying to figure out if it could be software related and not hard ware related. Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you

BubbleLamp
03-02-2003, 01:41 AM
Originally posted by angel-78
I extremed a friends t60, he had not been using second tuner, now that he is using it he is getting searching for signal on tuner 2. If you reset it comes back and about 8 to 12 hours later it has the same problem. Trying to figure out if it could be software related and not hard ware related. Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you

Sounds like heat or power supply problems.

cali
03-03-2003, 04:32 PM
Contact sony and get em while you can......
They have some coming in soon!
This may very well be the last shipment of these things, since I heard the SERIES 2 are different.

Cali

bbok
03-03-2003, 07:15 PM
Wow..yep I think I am going to get me one (or 2)...

**Update*** I returned my DSR6000 with bad tuner and got another one...wHOOOHOOO this one works!!!! and I got an extra 15gb HD (the dual version)..its laready upgraded to 3.1 so I need to make sure I read up on how to reamove these 2 and replce with a single 120GB using 2.5.2..anyone care to point me in the right direction??.

I still haven't heard anything from my e-mails re:these tuners but I am going to keep trying...If you want to play with this stuff north of the border these days you better be prepared to fix your stuff...and this appears to be a significant weakness with these units

Thanks for the post Cali..can you give any more details where to call?

Thanks

cali
03-03-2003, 09:24 PM
Call this #1-800-488-7669 for further assistance.

Part #9-885-018-88

Delayed about 5 weeks, costs 74.26 each with shipping and TAXES

PS. Dont tell truett about this....else we wont get any!:D

bbok
03-04-2003, 11:32 AM
Thanks Cali

I have found a couple of interesting pieces though.

1) here is a spec sheet for the BSRU6

I can post the PDF if you need

http://panturat.tc.btc.rit.ac.th/datasheet2/TV_SatelliteTuners%20and%20Frontends/bsru6_701a.pdf

2) I now wonder if it has been renamed/improved...I found this old news release

Alps Electric Europa GmbH
DVB-S NIM
* BSBE1 for DVB-S reception RF-in / MPEG-out QPSK Frontend using STV0299
SCPC/MCPC
Replacing the well known BSRU6 series the new BSBE seriesdigital satellite frontend is on the way to become "de facto" standard among consumer industry.
High performance RF-characteristics together with market proven QPSK performance of STs STV0299 demodulator chip combined in ALPS' new small size NIM case assures fastest time-to-market processing with excellent satellite reception result for each STB designer and manufacturer.
- product release during from Mid of 2002

Cheers

Pro-289
03-04-2003, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by bbok
Their name didn't have "liquidation" in it by any chance?? (oh brother)
Yup! :( And get this, just 5 hours after they refunded my money cause they said they didn't have a replacement unit, they put up another 6K for auction. Bastards. I sent them an email asking what was up. The auction mysteriously canceled at the last minute. Hmm. Makes you wonder.

I have since returned it and bought a different unit from a different guy. I've had luck with this one so far.

bbok
03-04-2003, 08:37 PM
OMG!!!

Well similar story to yours...called said it don't work..they said we don't have another...I just happened to be on line and said BS!!! you got 2 right here...read off the auction name..so they sent me another...and this one works!!! I would do a little dance of joy but I don't want to hurt your feelings. I almost said ..fine give me the $$ back and move on but I figured what the heck...if the next one doesn't work what am out besides my time.

The one they pulled may have been for me..they got more up there now...likely my bad one!!!

I cannot beleive even units with no HD are going for 200+ on ebay right now...crazy

Pro-289
03-05-2003, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by bbok
The one they pulled may have been for me..they got more up there now...likely my bad one!!!
You wanna hear something crazy. I just did a search myself, and saw the same product box which has the same markings. Now it's being sold has 100% tested and working. I wonder if they just replaced a different unit in the box, or were able to fix the bad one.

KEC
03-06-2003, 11:01 PM
I have a GXCEBOT that has tuner trouble. The 30V line is only showing ~2V. I moved the GXCEBOT power supply to a SAT-T60 and the T60 is working fine with the GXCEBOT power supply.

Is it my turn to try and fine tuner modules (or another dead unit to salvage)?

cali
03-06-2003, 11:35 PM
KEC,
Sell it to me ....:)

I take it you cannot acquire signal?

KEC
03-07-2003, 12:06 PM
Cali,

I'm not ready to sell it yet. I have barely touched/tested this box. I bought it with the understanding that the tuners reported 0 signal strength. I bought it as project.

I doubt that you want the resistance measurement (mentioned earlier in this thread) made while the tuner module is still attached to the main board. If you do, I'll try to measure it tonight.

cali
03-07-2003, 12:26 PM
You can do it either way...in your case I doubt your tuners are bad.

Check your resistance on the 30V line...I bet its close to 0 ohms :D

Its not the PS for sure.

cali

KEC
03-08-2003, 12:52 AM
OK, The resistances were higher than expected.

I measured 1.8K between the red dot and ground with the module still on the main board.

I measured 54 ohms between the 30V line and ground.

The measurements were made with the board removed from the case and nothing else connected (e.g. no power supply connections).

cali
03-08-2003, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by KEC
I measured 54 ohms between the 30V line and ground.

Theres your problem!!!

Break out a blowdrier.....hook your meter on the points that measure 54 OHMS.

Run the drier over the tuner area, ( in general the right rear of the motherboard)
Look and see when the resistance goes up......when it does...youre getting warmer.....its just a matter of figuring out which part is bad......

What you have is what we call a component short....its not dead short, but the internal resistance to GND, is weak. I would guess a BAD CAP....one of the real small ones....or the LNB voltage regs.

Good luck

You can pay me later :D

Cali

09-01-2003, 12:55 PM
What should the Ohms reading be on the 30 volt line (mainboard side) at the power supply connector with the power supply cable disconnected. Thanks

vu2vu
09-04-2003, 06:58 AM
Datasheet for bsru6.

vu2vu
09-04-2003, 07:03 AM
Pin out for BSBE. From what I gather the pin outs are diffent. So a drop in replacement is very unlikely.

It is in .dxf file format. You need autocad or the volo viewer in order to see it.

vu2vu
09-04-2003, 07:07 AM
Software for programing the bsru6? I don't quite know what it does, but it is for the bsru6 so i decided to post it. Good luck guys.

cali
09-16-2003, 05:40 PM
thats good info ( seen it before).

Glad ya posted it so everyone can have a read.

I never did source those QSPK's in less than 1000 quantity.

vu2vu
09-30-2003, 05:40 AM
Cali-

How many stv0299's do you need? I just picked up a couple of philips 5353 irds off ebay and cracked it open and saw a stv0299b inside. This would be a good source for the chips. The irds go reguarly on ebay for under $30.00. Let me know how it works cali.

vu2vu
09-30-2003, 06:06 AM
Image of stv0299b on philips 5353. Sorry about the horrible picture I never knew it was so hard to take a picture of a pcb.

cali
09-30-2003, 07:22 PM
Check your PM!

cali
09-30-2003, 07:29 PM
This is really good info.
I just checked ebay, shipping prices suck ass!
I have one shorted tuner here, I junked the others (insert fav cuss word here).

I got the tools to get the job done, so lets see what we can do here.

Does anyone have a contact # or email for a philips satelllite service center?

vu2vu
10-01-2003, 04:02 AM
From what I gather these ird's are basically the same. So I am pretty sure they will all include a stv0299b. I don't have any dead tuners or the equipment to desolder it. I just remembered this thread when I saw the stv0299b on the mainboard.

PHILIPS DSX5350, DSX5353, DSX5250

vu2vu
10-01-2003, 07:51 AM
I found a place that appears to have the stv0299b chips on sale. They show it in stock, but I don't know if they have a minumum order requirement.

http://www.1sourcecomponents.com/

Please remove link if not allowed.

I also found a place that sells the lnb15p chips for 6 bucks a pop. I won't link to that place, but if you need it send me a pm.

cali
10-01-2003, 09:26 AM
I wont waste time inquiring about the stv's...I know the answer involves quantities costing more than my entire savings account :D.

vu2vu
10-01-2003, 05:51 PM
lnb15p for $6.00

w w w dot mrwhitesjtag dot com

Digitz
10-01-2003, 11:50 PM
Thank You! Thank You! Thank You!

I've been looking for a LNBP15 source for 6 months. The tuner 2 LNBP15 smoked its self to death a while back. Now all I need is a trace repair kit for a resonable price.

Digitz

cali
10-02-2003, 08:27 AM
How bad are the traces?
Try some 30 guage wire...works great :D

milesb
02-17-2004, 02:55 AM
are tuner one and two on a dsr6000 the same or are they different?

cali
02-17-2004, 06:50 AM
are tuner one and two on a dsr6000 the same or are they different?

All Series1 directivo units have the SAME tuner.