PDA

View Full Version : DVD Maestro question

Bman
02-19-2003, 08:23 PM
Can anyone tell me why I get thumbnails or captured video like this? When in playback video is fine. Happens in SpruceUp too. I use:

Tytool6r1a to get .ty file
tytool6r1a/vsplit to get .mv2 and .mva files
DVD patcher to change header only to 720X480
Import into SpruceUP
RealView in Spruceup shows thumbnails like this or more distorted
DVD Maestro smae thing
Actually video in both run great. Have created menus and each picture in menu is like attached file.

Hopefully going to tryto burn DVD's this weekend when supply shows up via UPS. :eek:

bman

captain_video
02-19-2003, 10:08 PM
I don't know why you'd be getting the colored blocks in the right margin but it is normal to see only two-thirds of the normal image when viewing the clip properties. You must take into account that you are looking at a 480X480 resolution image as opposed to a 720X480 video clip, even though the 1st header was patched to 720X480 (you should have patched it back to 480X480 after importing it for the 1st time). Do the math and you'll see that 480 is 2/3 of 720 which is why the right one-third of the screen does not contain an image. When you preview the video in the Simulation screen in SpruceUp or the equivalent counterpart in Maestro you should be able to see the image expanded to fill the entire screen.

Bman
02-19-2003, 10:44 PM
I understand that 2/3 of 720 is 480. I was wondering if this was normal? I'm just starting to make menu's. I've only done it in SpruceUp. Just started playing Maestro tonight. So how do you create menu's that will fill the whole thumbnail? I've created a SpruceUp project but all my chapter images are 2/3 of the thumbnail.

Yes I patched it back to 480X480. The video in playback plays great.

bman

Pr.Sinister
02-20-2003, 02:09 AM
Originally posted by Bman
I understand that 2/3 of 720 is 480. I was wondering if this was normal? I'm just starting to make menu's. I've only done it in SpruceUp. Just started playing Maestro tonight. So how do you create menu's that will fill the whole thumbnail? I've created a SpruceUp project but all my chapter images are 2/3 of the thumbnail.

Yes I patched it back to 480X480. The video in playback plays great.

bman

Play the movie in PowerDVD and capture the thumbnail you want
with PowerDVD's capture feature. Take that picture and paste it
inside Corel PhotoPaint or Adobe Photoshop and resize it.
Export it as a .psd file.

Tada! Menu button without that $&##&$%& junk in it.

That's what i always do when using the DVD Patcher trick in
Maestro or SpruceUp. I'm way too anal to leave them the original
way.

-Pr.

Bman
02-20-2003, 09:26 AM
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give that a try. Have you done animated menus?

bman

captain_video
02-20-2003, 09:37 AM
You can capture still frames in SpruceUp when viewing the clip properties. Navigate to the frame you want to capture and click on the small camera button at the lower right side of the clip properties window. You can import the captured frame into MS Paint and enlarge it to 720X480 by first cropping the image area from the background and then pasting it into a new, blank palette. Grab the lower right corner and stretch it to fill the screen. Save it as a jpg file and then import it back into SpruceUp. Add your buttons and text to create the menu you desire. It should work the same for Maestro, although I don't believe Maestro has the frame capture feature.

I haven't tried animated menus but it shouldn't be all that difficult to do. I don't know if SpruceUp will allow animated menus but you should be able to do this with Maestro.

Bman
02-20-2003, 01:21 PM
Thanks captain_video,

Thats basically what I do now and end up with 2/3, 1/3 picture. It's sure a lot easier and less disk space for the other programs (PowerDVD, PhotoShop). I'll try it tonight.

bman