PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Commercials with Tytool6r1a

snoopy
02-19-2003, 11:09 PM
Has anyone written a howto on this? I think I am missing something.

jdiner
02-20-2003, 02:26 AM
Originally posted by snoopy
Has anyone written a howto on this? I think I am missing something.
Do a search on messages posted by me. In my 2 main threads. I documented it pretty clearly. I have done it now a dozen times today. It does work. Odds are you doing something simple wrong.

Read up a bit and you should find it.

--jdiner

snoopy
02-20-2003, 02:42 AM
I choose to create key files and nothing happens. Can you send me the documentation you speak of?

jdiner
02-20-2003, 04:23 AM
Dude... It is all in 1 place. Here. Mostly in this thread and the release notes in the sticky thread.

[quote]
1- You pick from the file menu Make Key File(s).
2- This opens the new custom dialog window starting at the starting/download directory from the main window with:
a- directories in the upper left.
b- .TY files in the upper right.
c- Files selected to process in the lower center.
3- Pick a file from the files directory.
4- Click the ADD button on the bottom of the new window.
5- The file selected to make a key file from will then appear in the files to process window.
6- Click the PROCESS button at the bottom. The file will then be processed.

The only change to this procedure is that you can select more than 1 file at a time and process all that were selected one right after another.

--jdiner

snoopy
02-20-2003, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by jdiner
Dude... It is all in 1 place. Here. Mostly in this thread and the release notes in the sticky thread.

[quote]
1- You pick from the file menu Make Key File(s).
2- This opens the new custom dialog window starting at the starting/download directory from the main window with:
a- directories in the upper left.
b- .TY files in the upper right.
c- Files selected to process in the lower center.
3- Pick a file from the files directory.
4- Click the ADD button on the bottom of the new window.
5- The file selected to make a key file from will then appear in the files to process window.
6- Click the PROCESS button at the bottom. The file will then be processed.

The only change to this procedure is that you can select more than 1 file at a time and process all that were selected one right after another.

--jdiner

When I chose make key files, it does open a custom dialog window but I don't have any files listed in there. There are two folders on the left. One says default-settings and the other is gopeditor. No matter which folder I go into, it is empty. To make things easy I have placed both the tytool and gopeditor in the same root folder as all the ty files. The problem is none of the files show up in the list. Please don't be upset. I am not accusing anyone of anything. I am just trying to get it to work for me. I would be happy to send you a screenshot of what I am referring to. Thanks.

jdiner
02-20-2003, 01:19 PM
Do you use TyTool to download your files?

If so it they should be named "something".ty.

That new windows looks for files named ".ty". They can't be split out .m2v/.m2a pairs. But TYSTREAM files.

The TyTool has a 2 Single-Line-Edit fields at the top of it's display. Network address "Tivo Address:" and "Local Dir:". As stated in both the other docs and here. The popup multi-file pick window opens to the directory shown in the Local Dir: location.

So do it by the numbers.

1- Check that edit box to make sure it points to where you downloaded things.

2- Check with a MyComputer or a WindowsExplorer or a DosPrompt window to make sure there are extracted files there.

3- Make absolutely certain these files are .TY in extension and not .mpeg and not .m2v and not anything else.

4- Then run the process as stated in the previous message and run it.

I can't make it any more clear than that.

--jdiner

snoopy
02-20-2003, 02:42 PM
Do you use TyTool to download your files?

If so it they should be named "something".ty.

That new windows looks for files named ".ty". They can't be split out .m2v/.m2a pairs. But TYSTREAM files.

The TyTool has a 2 Single-Line-Edit fields at the top of it's display. Network address "Tivo Address:" and "Local Dir:". As stated in both the other docs and here. The popup multi-file pick window opens to the directory shown in the Local Dir: location.

So do it by the numbers.

1- Check that edit box to make sure it points to where you downloaded things.

2- Check with a MyComputer or a WindowsExplorer or a DosPrompt window to make sure there are extracted files there.

3- Make absolutely certain these files are .TY in extension and not .mpeg and not .m2v and not anything else.

4- Then run the process as stated in the previous message and run it.

I can't make it any more clear than that.

--jdiner

The TY files in the directory but do not come up in the window.

jdiner
02-20-2003, 02:44 PM
Put a list of the files exactly as they are on your screen here. Include path etc...

Given that you are the only one reporting this kind of problem my first guess would be you did something wrong...

--jdiner

snoopy
02-20-2003, 02:47 PM
Put a list of the files exactly as they are on your screen here. Include path etc...

Given that you are the only one reporting this kind of problem my first guess would be you did something wrong...

--jdiner

Before writting in here, I usually try to make it clear from the first message that I am quite sure it is ME doing something wrong. I'll check further. Maybe some network setting or something is off.

I'm sorry.

jdiner
02-20-2003, 02:50 PM
Do something like CD there with a dos prompt.
The do dir
and cut the resulting text. Then post such text here so we can see what the names look like exactly...

The only way to help now is to get more information.

--jdiner

snoopy
02-20-2003, 02:51 PM
Do something like CD there with a dos prompt.
The do dir
and cut the resulting text. Then post such text here so we can see what the names look like exactly...

The only way to help now is to get more information.

--jdiner

I'll live with commercials for a while. Thanks for your help. I REALLY appreciate it.

Bman
02-20-2003, 03:10 PM
Snoopy,

Don't be sorry and don't give up. Your close to getting the answer you need. jdiner is trying to help you. If your not comfortable with DOS, windows or networking just say it. No question is stupid.

Start from scratch. Read the readme file. Post screenshots of your problem.

Did you put GopEditor in your PATH statement?

You don't have to live with commercials. 2 weeks ago I didn't have the slightest clue on how to extract a file from my DirecTivo. Today I can, with jdiner's excellent TyTools extract, split, make key files, edit key files, run SpruceUp and this weekend hopefully burn some DVD's.

bman

snoopy
02-20-2003, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by Bman
Snoopy,

Don't be sorry and don't give up. Your close to getting the answer you need. jdiner is trying to help you. If your not comfortable with DOS, windows or networking just say it. No question is stupid.

Start from scratch. Read the readme file. Post screenshots of your problem.

Did you put GopEditor in your PATH statement?

You don't have to live with commercials. 2 weeks ago I didn't have the slightest clue on how to extract a file from my DirecTivo. Today I can, with jdiner's excellent TyTools extract, split, make key files, edit key files, run SpruceUp and this weekend hopefully burn some DVD's.

bman

you're very kind. Thanks to you, jdiner, and others. This forum has been a big help in many ways

jdiner
02-20-2003, 10:46 PM
Do you have the information I asked for?

What shows have you been extracting. The names of them are really key to the next step.

--jdiner

jdiner
02-20-2003, 10:58 PM
Odds are you doing something simple wrong.

Ah I get it. I think you misunderstood me.

All I meant was that it did not look like you "had forgotten to click here" or select something in the menus or anything like that. But rather than there was something else that was wrong.

You seemed to be looking for a simple solution and all I was trying to point out was that I didn't think there was going to be one.

--jdiner

snoopy
02-20-2003, 11:50 PM
Ah I get it. I think you misunderstood me.

All I meant was that it did not look like you "had forgotten to click here" or select something in the menus or anything like that. But rather than there was something else that was wrong.

You seemed to be looking for a simple solution and all I was trying to point out was that I didn't think there was going to be one.

--jdiner

It is completely my fault as usual.
In the path for TYTool, I had put in a network location that was different from where I put the GOP editor and the ty file I had selected to process. The cut window has to have TYTool pointed the same place as that is OF'COURSE where the cut window is going to look. I don't download files to that location but rather once, I am ready to work on them, they are moved there so it had a different folder listed in the path. This is a complete oversight on my part and has been fixed thanks to your help sir. Thank you very much.

I have a suggestion.
Please don't take this the wrong way. I think your work is 100% AWESOME. I think I speak for everone when I say so. NOBODY else can do what you have done. You are the first person that has EVER been able to create mpgs right off the Tivo.

From a lay person's perspective a suggestion from me would be to create several buttons for going backwards and forward based on various intervals. Seeing that most commercials happen in MOST cases, not less than 10 minutes apart, it would be nice to be able to forward through at 1 and 2 minute intervals (perhaps even 5 and 10 minute intervals), in addition to the second intervals necessary for fine tuning the cut, that are part of the program now. My thought is that once a person goes from the beginning cut point to the first commercial, he can tell EXACTLY how long it is "likely" to be to the next one because of how the cut tool is already laid out. I anticipate that the new feature could cut down on the time it takes to edit commercials for "some" people. I hope this information comes as a friendly suggestion as it was intended. Again, thanks for your help on the above and in being so patient with all of us. I am certain it can be quite frusterating to hear from people such as myself for what seems to you are simple little problems that I SHOULD be able to figure out on my own. I look forward to your every post.

Snoopy