PDA

View Full Version : Captain Video: CD labels and Jewel Cases

RxMan
02-20-2003, 08:28 PM
Hey,

I saw you mention that you made some labels and cases for show episodes. I have downloaded some dvd 'copies' of cds and jewel cases. What do you use to make custom labels and cases? Are you capturing an image from the movie and using it?

captain_video
02-20-2003, 09:14 PM
I use SureThing CD Labeler Deluxe Edition for creating my labels and jewel case liners. I like it because it works with just about every known brand of CD/DVD labels on the market. You can a slightly lesser version with the CD Stomper label kit. CompUSA has them on sale all the time. In fact, they have them on sale this week at a net cost of $0 after instant and mail-in rebates. I personally prefer the CD Stomper applicator for applying the labels to the discs over any other brand I've tried.

I get images from various sources. Sometimes I use captured frames from a show but they tend to be somewhat grainy. I usually like to find a website devoted to the series in question. There are usually lots of still photos at these sites that make for really nice jewel case and CD labels. I got some nice stills for my Babylon 5 archive from the Sci-Fi channel website as well as some fan-based sites. I also downloaded a lot of great stills for use with the "Taken" mini-series that I authored and burned to DVD-R. I use a lot of these stills for creating menus in SpruceUp as well.

I recently completed my collection of Seinfeld episodes (6 per DVD-R for a total of 30 DVDs). I created a main menu from a captured frame and a submenu with the episode titles using a still I downloaded from a website. I used another still image for the jewelcase cover and a smaller image of the Seinfeld logo on the jewelcase liner with descriptions of each episode on the DVD that I culled from an episode guide I found on the net. I created a wallpaper collage of greyscale Seinfeld logos (again, from a website) and overlaid the episode numbers and titles on the wallpaper background for the DVD disc labels. I attached the background to give you an idea of what I'm talking about. I'd upload a sample of the labels themselves but you'd need the SureThing program to view it.

RxMan
02-20-2003, 09:48 PM
Thanks for the reply, I do have SureThing Labeler. I don't have the Deluxe version though. I may upgrade if I thought it was worth it.

captain_video
02-20-2003, 11:38 PM
The basic version isn't all that much different except that it comes with a lot more backgrounds and templates (which I rarely ever use anyway). I've attached a copy of one of my Babylon 5 jewelcase templates that you can open up in SureThing. Just unzip the file and open it up in SureThing to view it.

RxMan
02-21-2003, 10:01 AM
THanks!
I will probably have more questions as I play around with the custom backgrounds.