PDA

View Full Version : restore partition table?

pidhead
02-21-2003, 07:41 PM
Does anyone know how to restore a partition table to a Tivo drive?

I was upgrading a 30G / 30G two drive system, and the machine I was using to do the upgrade apparently was having motherboard issues. I'm on a new machine now, but the Tivo A drive (which I have not intentionally modified) does not show any partitions.

So, anyone know how to get the partitions back?

Also, does the standard Tivo boot CD byteswap ALL drives, or just hdb, hdc, hdd? Could this be a problem if the drive was installed as hda?

Thanks!!

pidhead
02-22-2003, 01:50 PM
Ok, here's a thought I had:

I could dd the first part of an image I have on another HD from this trashed drive. The image didn't finish correctly, so it isn't really usable, but the partition table is there.

Anyone know what I should tell dd to just get the partition table sectors copied from one drive to another?

I also have another unnafected tivo a drive, that I assume would have the exact same parition structure. Could I copy parition table from that?

Thanks!

jmayes
02-22-2003, 11:50 PM
I belive all you need is sector 0, the very front of the drive, I'm no linux guru but I can see linux partitions with regular msdos fdisk and that info is on sector 0. so if you have the front of the drive backed up, go for it and copy (dd) 512 bytes or so to the currupt drive.

Goodluck!
Jmayes