PDA

View Full Version : Tytools Extraction speed?

tktivouk
02-23-2003, 02:53 PM
Hi I have installed a Turbonet card into my tivo and can make connections to my UK tivo using Telnet, FTP and Http without problems. However, when using tytools to extract a 25 minute programme which tytools states is 773Meg it took 23 hours!!!! just for the extraction part is the speed of a tytools extraction a function of the network connection or the PC, the pc is an pentium PII 333 MMX with Win98 and 196 mb of RAM. Can this speed be improved? or what spec does the PC need to be ideally. Does tytools do processing of the file whilst extracting or is it just copying it from the Tivo, when extracting the network load lights on my hub only reads between 1-3%, whereas when transfering files betwen PC and Tivo using ftp it goes up to 80%. Any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance

Tom

02-23-2003, 03:49 PM
Something is very wrong. You can extract as a ty file or you can vsplit on the fly. Make sure you're extracting as a ty file. Your computer probably isn't fast enough to do much.

AlphaWolf
02-23-2003, 04:17 PM
It's probably your ethernet hardware somewhere along the line. A 333mhz anything should be fast enogh for 20mbit.

02-23-2003, 04:28 PM
AW--I agree the computer is fast enough for extraction. My concern is if Toms computer is fast enough for splitting, muxing etc. Microsoft media player suggests a 500MHz processor and 128 MB ram. I was wondering if he was splitting on the fly and if that was slowing everything to a grinding halt.

Also try to stop everything (including your AV programs)

tktivouk
02-23-2003, 06:38 PM
Thanks guy's thats got it sorted, I did not realise that I could transfer the ty file without the Vsplit selected. I had read somewhere that this was required. Without it the file transfered in a few minutes and the Hub was lit up to full capacity.

OK now I have got a bit more reading to sort out the next stage. Once transfered I have ran the file in tytools so that I now have a *.m2a & m2v file. This was also quite quick. Any suggestions for the next stage or where to do some reading.

Thanks again

Tom