PDA

View Full Version : (newbie), Used TyTool 6r1, Made an MPG. Nothing will play it.

jeff_hanna
02-24-2003, 08:22 PM
I used TyTool 6r1 to make a multiplexed mpeg on my HD. I ended up with a 0 byte *.m2a and a 1.3GB *.m2v.

So far so good.

I renamed the *.m2v *.mpg and tried to open it with MediaPlayer 9. MP9 tried to download a codec, and failed.

I tried to import the *.mpg into Adobe Premiere 6.02. It said, "Uknown Filetype". Adobe AfterEffects 5.0 said the same thing.

Microsoft MovieMaker2 acted about the same as MediaPlayer9. Not surprising, as MM2 is based on MP9 technology.

Quicktime 6.0 refused to play it, complaining of a missing software component.

DiVX Player 2.0 Alpha wouldn't touch it either.

What type of mpg file is this? I would like to import it into Premiere, trim a section out, save it out as a smaller (640x480 or 512x384) *.avi or *.mov and send it to someone. They missed an interview they wanted to see and I want to help them out.

02-24-2003, 08:26 PM
Use TMPGEnc, go to mpeg tools and do a simple demux.

RxMan
02-24-2003, 08:26 PM
Try some DVD players.

WinDvD or PowerDVD.

jeff_hanna
02-25-2003, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by newbie
Use TMPGEnc, go to mpeg tools and do a simple demux.

I did that, and ended up with a *.mp2 audio file with data and a smaller *.m2v video file. Neither of them are recognized by any of the apps I listed above.

I thought the whole purpsoe of TyTool 6's new Multiplex Mode was that it was supposed to automatically make the multiplexed *.mpg file during the extraction. What's the purpose of me now de-multiplexing that output?

Does anyone know of a Windows codec that will read, decode, and display these mpg files?

jeff_hanna
02-25-2003, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by RxMan
Try some DVD players.

WinDvD or PowerDVD.

I could do that, but neither of those programs allow you to save the files out in a different format, do they? Thank you for the suggestion, though.

chadbear
02-25-2003, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by RxMan
Try some DVD players.

WinDvD or PowerDVD.

He's looking for an editor, not a player.

I am too.

zabs
02-25-2003, 02:20 PM
I think the point RXman was trying to make was that you might need the mpeg2 codec. The best way to get this is to install a pc type dvd player. Then windows media player will be able to play the resulting mpg.....maybe.

chadbear
02-25-2003, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by zabs
I think the point RXman was trying to make was that you might need the mpeg2 codec. The best way to get this is to install a pc type dvd player. Then windows media player will be able to play the resulting mpg.....maybe.

Probably not. jdiner himself stated as much the other day in the tytool thread. He said that MP's codecs are so bad that he didn't bother trying to conform to them... can't say I blame him, in his shoes I would make a real mpeg rather than MS' bullshit any day.