PDA

View Full Version : Extract questions

pritch55
02-25-2003, 02:07 AM
I just ordered the TurboNET card and have read the sticky threads and before I start I just want to make sure that I'm using the most current software and method. I have a DSR6000 that was restored with 2.5xtreme, it has since been updated to 3.1 nothing has been setup that wasn't setup under xtreme.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
-Pritch55

pritch55
02-27-2003, 01:42 AM
I have found the Video Extraction for Dummies?? (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16950&highlight=Video+Extraction+for+Dummies) which has answered a lot of questions.

Because I already have 2.5Xtreme as my image would the upgrade to 3.1 make any difference?

Also I have looked for KRavEN's update and I'm not quite sure what this actually consists of?

Then as far as tytool6r1a (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/attachment.php?s=&postid=83845) would this be the most current or would I also want to install tytool6r2 (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/attachment.php?s=&postid=85743) as an update?

In captain_video's response he says that you will also need a copy of TeraTerm Pro to communicate with the DTivo via bash prompt. Will a serial cable be needed for this or is the TurboNet card used to acces via tha bash prompt?

I hope this doesn't come across as a pushy requests but it's been a while since I have visitied the forum and with extraction already in place, some of it can seem a little confusing. I'm not looking for any handouts just a little help to steer me in the correct direction.

Thanks,
-Pritch55

captain_video
02-27-2003, 10:12 AM
Upgrading to 3.1 shouldn't make a difference as far as extraction is concerned, assuming that you installed SuperZap's upgrade and not the actual Tivo software update obtained via phone connection. I haven't played around with 3.1 so I can't give you any first-hand knowledge of it. You may have to play around with setting up the IP address if you want to use a static IP rather than with a DHCP server. I can tell you that it includes most, if not all, of the utilities included in Kraven's upgrade plus it includes SuperZap's XPlusZ utility.

TeraTerm Pro is used for establishing telnet communication with your Tivo, either by serial connection or ethernet. You need this for performing extractions as well. If you have your TurboNet configured with an IP address then you can access your Tivo via ethernet using TeraTerm.

pritch55
02-27-2003, 10:41 AM
3.1 has been updated via the phone line, If need be I can restore 2.5Xtreme but is there a way to keep it from updating to 3.1 once the turbonet is hooked up. I plan on only using the turbonet card and remove the phone line.

I can tell you that it includes most, if not all, of the utilities included in Kraven's upgrade plus it includes SuperZap's XPlusZ utility.
When you say it above are your refering to SuperZap's upgrade ?

Thanks,
-Pritch55

captain_video
02-27-2003, 11:43 AM
Yes, I was referring to SuperZap's upgrade. If you let your DTivo upgrade naturally, you will need to install all of your hacks manually. You could simply install 2.5Xtreme and then upgrade using SZ's upgrade. Using the fixsub.tcl utility (a.k.a. the "touch" command for a pseudo-lifetime sub) will allow you to operate your DTivo with need of a phone line. You may want to make sure your DTivo cannot dial out via ethernet by editing the necessary files (i.e. change device name from net0 to eth0 or vice versa; I can never remember which way it's supposed to be). Check the forum for posts on this topic. If you're using a router, you should be able to block the assigned IP address from accessing the net via the router's configuration setup menus.

pritch55
02-27-2003, 12:25 PM
I can do the fixsub.tcl if need be, but does this mean that you can't have a legit Tivo Sub and be able to extract. I guess I was looking to take advantage of all of the turbonet card features, TivoWeb along with daily updates. So what you are saying is that if you want to be able to extract then you can't get the daily updates? The main reason for the turbonet card is extraction but I was also going to use it to make the daily call so the receiver could be at a different residence other than where the account is. I guess I assumed that you would need a phone line to keep DirecTv active and this would mean that you couldn't use the fixsub.tcl if I'm wrong please let me know.

captain_video
02-27-2003, 02:24 PM
The DTivo gets its updates from DTV so a phone line is only necessary to relay PPV info to DTV for billing purposes. I use fixsub.tcl on both my DSR6000s and they are both subbed to DTV legitimately. DTV requires that you have a phone line connected for the PPV billing purpose and also to ensure that the receiver is being used only at the address specified in the account. I have had both my DTivos disconnected from a phone line ever since I upgraded to Xtreme after subbing them to DTV about 6 months ago. The only risk is that DTV may eventually realize that the receiver has not called home to DTV for quite some time. If they do discover this then you will most likely get a nasty letter from them indicating that your receiver must make a call within 30 days from the address on the account or they will charge you for a separate account at the full subscription rate instead of the $4.99 mirroring fee.

pritch55
02-27-2003, 02:44 PM
So I could make the daily call through the turbonet card to keep my account active without applying the fixsub.tcl but then I may still need the phone line hooked up in case DTV wants to make sure that it is at the same house. By hacking the software to extract is that something that they could see through the daily call? I always thought that the update was initiated by the phone line and then downloaded through the sat, but what you are saying is that it is only through the sat. If this is correct what have you done to keeo your Tivo from updating to 3.1 and losing all of your hacks?

Thanks,
-Pritch55

captain_video
02-27-2003, 05:21 PM
Daily guide updates are downloaded from the satellite. Software upgrades to the Tivo are taken through the phone line. DTV cannot tell what you have on your DTivo in the way of any hacks nor do they probably care. DTV is only concerned about whther or not your receiver is in the location you indicated it was as well as whether you are getting DTV illegally. Tivo is only covering their ass by making it appear that they are attempting to thwart hackers. If it weren't for the movie studios, they would probably be marketing a Tivo that would allow extraction or distribution of recorded programs just like ReplayTV does. The main difference is that a DTivo records the digital datastream directly and the ReplayTV degrades the original picture quality via the additional D/A and A/D conversions the signal is subjected to.

zabs
02-28-2003, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by pritch55
So I could make the daily call through the turbonet card to keep my account active without applying the fixsub.tcl but then I may still need the phone line hooked up in case DTV wants to make sure that it is at the same house. By hacking the software to extract is that something that they could see through the daily call? I always thought that the update was initiated by the phone line and then downloaded through the sat, but what you are saying is that it is only through the sat. If this is correct what have you done to keeo your Tivo from updating to 3.1 and losing all of your hacks?

Thanks,
-Pritch55

The phone line connection is totally optional. If you don't intend to use fixsub, you will need to let tivo make it's daily call to tivo to keep your pvr functions working. Unless you are ordering ppv's there is NO need for the phone line connection to DTV. So long as you pay your bill, they could care less whether or not your receiver gives them a call or not.
I don't belive extraction is something they (tivo) can see over the daily call, nor do I belive it would bother them much if they saw it.
Updates have always come down over the phone line or broadband connection if that is how you are making your daily call(to the best of my knowledge.) I have never received an update over the satellite stream.
Most people use fixsub (again, pay your dtv bills and there is really no problem here) and do not let their tivo talk over the turbonet card. If you are making the daily call, then you CAN/WILL get a software update and it will wipe our your hacks.

captain_video
02-28-2003, 12:24 PM
So long as you pay your bill, they could care less whether or not your receiver gives them a call or not.

That's not exactly true. Aside from the PPV billing function, DTV requires that you have an active phone line so your receiver will call in on a regular basis. The intended purpose is to ensure that you're not subbing additional receivers for your friends and neighbors without paying the full subscription fee for each household. DTV periodically checks your accounts to see if any of your receivers have called home recently. If they find any that haven't connected to DTV via phone they will send out a notice informing you that the receivers that are MIA will be charged a full subscription fee if they don't start dialing in to DTV. To be honest, I haven't seen anyone post any problems in this area with a DTivo but it does happen frequently to regular standalone DTV receiver owners.

The phone line connection is totally optional.

Again, not true, at least from DTV's perspective. When you contact DTV to activate a new receiver, the CSR will ask if the receiver being activated will be connected to the phone number specified on the account. For hacking purposes, you do NOT want to connect the phone line so as to prevent any unwanted updates from being downloaded to the DTivo. I have a feeling that it will only be a matter of time before DTV starts catching up with Xtremed DTivo owners and telling them to dial in or else.

chadbear
02-28-2003, 12:57 PM
I've been a DTV subscriber for years. I have never, except for initial setup on any given receiver, connected to a phone line. I have never received any interruption of service nor any letters or notifications on a regular IRD. This is over the course of maybe 4 years.

A Dtivo (I have a t60) will require a call home, though, unless you hack it not to need one.

zabs
03-01-2003, 01:15 AM
Cap'n,
I am a bit new as a DTV subscriber, but its been 6 months for me with no phone line on 3 receivers.....I don't think they could force people to have a phone connection. I have alot of friends that don't even have a land line to their house/apartment. They have a cell as their primary number. They order ppv's from the website and couldn't have their receiver call in, even if they wanted it to. Just my .02. Who knows what rules an a/v entertainment conglomerate can/will impose in the future...