PDA

View Full Version : TiVo -> DVD, via native OS X freeware

linky
02-25-2003, 03:33 PM
A couple of other folks have posted workflows to extract TiVo streams all the way to DVD. I used their work as a basis to develop a process that does not depend on Wintel emulation or Apple's $999 DVD Studio Pro package. My writeup can be found here:
  http://web.figure1.net/~jlindqui/projects/tivo/

(The only non-free component is the QuickTime MPEG-2 playback component.) It's still a GUI process, but I'm working on getting it all down to the command line for the next major revision. I'm also working on commercial deletion and setting chapter stops. I'll post here as I make progress. (No estimates of a schedule! I'm juggling this amongst several other projects. :-) )

Martlet
03-08-2003, 02:19 PM
Seems a bit overkill to me.

I have good results with ty -> mac_vsplit -> DVD Studio Pro.

Cutting commercials is a bit of a pain, since I cut, view, recut, view, recut... but it's not that terrible... maybe 30 minutes to cut up an hour.

the mac_vsplit -c and -k options are rather pointless on a mac, since there is no mac_GOPEditor.

But the poor mans (macs?) way is to use mac_vplit -j# -l# x.ty y.mpg z.m2a; open y.mpg

At least that way, you it automatically opens the test split segment in Quicktime Player. (you may have to rename the .mpg back to .m2v later on).

Edit:

Personally, I prefer to use mac_vplit -m -j# -l# x.ty y.mpg junk; open y.mpg when cutting, since sometimes it's easier to check the sound in the black spaces. YMMV. Just keep track of you cut start and durations, and split to m2v & m2a in bulk once you have them figured out.

linky
03-08-2003, 07:50 PM
Seems a bit overkill to me.

I have good results with ty -> mac_vsplit -> DVD Studio Pro.

"DVD Studio Pro" kills it right there.

As I said in the writeup, I don't care to spend a thousand bucks on the package, pirate it, or encourage others to do the same. Sure, it's powerful enough to make the process simpler, but not enough to justify the cost. If you have other purposes it suits, that's great. I don't.

Martlet
03-09-2003, 12:20 AM
Sorry... I meant the tyc -> macbbdemux step seemed like overkill.

mac_split goes straight from ty stream to demuxed audio and video, as well as muxed mpeg. You do eliminate a step if you go straight from ty streams to m2a/m2v, hence the overkill comment.

You can still stick it in Sizzle if you don't want to use DVDSP, DVDSP doesn't really do that much for your money (you have to make menus in Photoshop).

Depending on what you want to do, in that case, my useage of DVDSP can be considered overkill.

Also, my workflow is simplified because I'm getting DTivo streams. I don't have to twiddle the audio.

linky
03-09-2003, 01:19 AM
Aha, that does make a lot of sense. I never ran across a Mac port of vsplit while I was developing this. The vsplit code base seems to be more actively abused and maintained, whereas tyc's source was difficult to find, and there's been no word on continued development at all. TNX!

ktivo
03-09-2003, 01:30 PM
Thanks for sharing the great workflow, Linky!

I noticed on your web page that you are working on a more scripted pipeline, particularly for the audio upsampling.

I'm using tytool/gopeditor on my PC to create edited muxed mpg files from my SA tivo, and I'd like a tool I could drop these on to demux/upsample in preparation for Sizzle or DSP.

(My burner is on my new 12" powerbook, so I need to burn there.)

Does anyone else have a simple way of scripting this process, either on mac or pc:?
demux - upsample audio - toggle 480 to 720

I don't mind authoring the DVD by hand, since I'll probably want to set up menus and such.

BTW, can anyone recommend an alternatre DVD player to the Apple one? It won't play my SVCDs, and won't play my DVD-R's, even when my old Sony DVD player and my PC will both play them fine.

thanks!

Mbarr
03-09-2003, 03:16 PM
I've actually had trouble w/ vsplit on the mac- the 6r2 vesion was causing all kinds of trouble, and so i investigated the tydemux/TyStudio program. the .4x version is wonderful- it produces great elemental files, that work just fine w/ mplex to create .mpg files. It corrects a lot of the errors in the ty streams, and can be scripted..

It also allows the use of all the other editing programs. They are currently working on internal remuxing, editing, and such. it'll be released as cross platform, and has been windows, linxu, & mac since day one- they post all 3 at once. Jdiner's stuff is wonderful, but i think this stuff comes out a bit more reliable. I believe they will also include upsampling of the audio, and such. The TyStudio project is very focused on scrpting the whole process, so that it will be possible to do exactly what we want to do :-)

Now, I just recommend trying the tools... I was able to build mplex without trouble, and can send anyone a build for OS X 10.2.4, if you don't feel like trying it. the rest of the mjpegtools didn't build so nicely....

linky
03-09-2003, 08:05 PM
Yes, I'm hoping to script this, but I'm not writing it in Applescript, so don't plan on seeing anything that'll take a drag-and-drop target. It'll be perl or Bourne shell.

MrBassMan
03-10-2003, 06:37 AM
You guys also shuld watch Olaf's sticky thread about tydemux.
Over the last two months we have been developing tystudio which is a suite of programs that will run under Windows, linux and Mac. It includes fetching files from Tivo, editing using a QT based program, demuxing, transcode and mplex.

It should be released within the month.

Mbarr
03-10-2003, 07:27 AM
Jdiner found the problem, if you are using that codebase. I'm using the TyStudio code base, aka tydemux.

tungsten2k
03-10-2003, 02:16 PM
1) tyc doesn't work for beans for any dtivo us streams - if someone has info to the contrary... well there you go

2) unless things have changed in the last month or so, sizzle still doesn't correct for audio offset.

this is my workflow that a lot of people have pm'd me praise on... which is now pretty much fully scripted and pops out probably a movie a day automagically. and just in time for tyStudio ! lol

as noted, it does not include the upsample steps that UK users must go through.

http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=82867#post82867

saltydog4791
03-10-2003, 08:04 PM
So after finally coming up with a workflow that works for me thru shell scripting and two platforms, here comes tystudio to ruin all my hard work. :) I can't wait...

cshotton
05-05-2003, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by saltydog4791
So after finally coming up with a workflow that works for me thru shell scripting and two platforms, here comes tystudio to ruin all my hard work. :) I can't wait...

So is there a Mac OS X version of tystudio?

Neutronflux
05-05-2003, 12:47 PM
Check here, I'm not sure how the 0.5 Beta 2 relates to the pc version number [equivalent to Beta 3 RC3?] but I hope this helps...

There hasn't been an update on tystudio for about a month now... not sure what the issue is, busy, sprintime -- Olaf's scheduled appearance on The Screen Savers? Whatever the case, I hope something comes out soon for DTivo owners because we're still hung out to dry for DVD production.