PDA

View Full Version : What is a ty?

spinxter
02-26-2003, 11:34 AM
Obviously, it's what we extract from the TiVo. But what is it? Is it an MPEG in disguise? I've noticed that my muxed MPEG is always the same size (roughly) as the original ty file. Can I save a lot of trouble and just change the file extension from .ty to .mpg and have it work?

Please tell me what a ty is, and what splitting and muxing do to it to convert is to MPEG.

Fugg
02-26-2003, 11:53 AM
Obviously, it's what we extract from the TiVo. But what is it?

It's a raw video file in a proprietary (non-standard) format.

Is it an MPEG in disguise?

Pretty much. But, it's an mpeg video in a proprietary (non-standard) format.

I've noticed that my muxed MPEG is always the same size (roughly) as the original ty file. Can I save a lot of trouble and just change the file extension from .ty to .mpg and have it work?

Nope. The raw format is such that no player can recognize it, except a tivo.;)

Please tell me what a ty is, and what splitting and muxing do to it to convert is to MPEG.

Splitting separates out the elemental video and audio from the ty, muxing properly combines them back into a "standard" mpeg2 format that we can use.

I hope that's what your looking for!
:)

spinxter
02-26-2003, 12:00 PM
That's basically what I wanted to know.

spinxter
02-26-2003, 02:43 PM
Is anyone working on a codec that will allow the viewing of ty files on a pc without converting them?

chadbear
02-26-2003, 02:55 PM
I don't know if there are, but I don't really think it's worth the effort if it's at all difficult. Since you can one-step extract to a standard mpeg now that's probably the way to keep it.

phrend
02-26-2003, 03:44 PM
I would love to see a CODEC (and whatever other magic would be required) to allow playback of .tmf files on a PC - that way you would still be able to re-insert the .tmf back on to your TiVo at some point in the future. :)

Just dreaming... :D