PDA

View Full Version : Series 2 call in questions

hayreass
02-27-2003, 01:23 AM
Got some questions about these new things.
My buddy just got one of those nifty 80 hour tivo stand alone units.
I haven't made it to his house yet to see it, or I could probably answer some of these questions myself.
#1 When it makes its call, does it report the Directv box # and card # to Tivo?
#2 Does it report only programs it has recorded, or also shows you have watched?

Since I haven't seen it yet, I don't even know if they hook up before or after the DirecTv box.
Since it is a seperate unit from the directv ird, how does it change channels on the Ird?

Sorry to sound lame, but these new series 2 things are unfamiliar to me.
I have two gxcebots myself, 1 with 67 hours, one with 35. Both fixed by me.
Buddy just basically wants to know if he can use a hacked card in his Direct box without getting caught. He is a subscriber, with a legit card, and one that isn't. Doesn't want tivo calling up and saying card #xxxxxxxx in box xxxxxx ordered xxxxxxx.

Thanks....
Hayre

FreydNot
02-27-2003, 02:42 AM
If its a stand alone unit, it has nothing to do with direct tv. No cards, no access numbers.

You can set it up to take video input from the sat decoder (or a cable box) via s-video or composit video. It can also accept an analog coax cable directly and use its internal tuner. It comes with IR emmiters that will allow it to change the channel on the sat box or cable box.

Hope that helps

hayreass
03-03-2003, 10:48 AM
Helped a bunch,
thanks

Brian

BubbleLamp
03-03-2003, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by hayreass
Got some questions about these new things.
My buddy just got one of those nifty 80 hour tivo stand alone units.
I haven't made it to his house yet to see it, or I could probably answer some of these questions myself.
#1 When it makes its call, does it report the Directv box # and card # to Tivo?
#2 Does it report only programs it has recorded, or also shows you have watched?

Since I haven't seen it yet, I don't even know if they hook up before or after the DirecTv box.
Since it is a seperate unit from the directv ird, how does it change channels on the Ird?

Sorry to sound lame, but these new series 2 things are unfamiliar to me.
I have two gxcebots myself, 1 with 67 hours, one with 35. Both fixed by me.
Buddy just basically wants to know if he can use a hacked card in his Direct box without getting caught. He is a subscriber, with a legit card, and one that isn't. Doesn't want tivo calling up and saying card #xxxxxxxx in box xxxxxx ordered xxxxxxx.

Thanks....
Hayre

The Tivo will still report every channel you tuned to on the DTV box if you use it to control the receiver. While it's a long shot, I'd call Tivo and opt-out of their survey data just to be safe.