PDA

View Full Version : How does Tivo work?

Betamax
02-27-2003, 03:40 AM
I have a couple of questions about how a series 1 Tivo works.

Will it still record when it is in standby mode?
If not, does it wake itself up from standby mode to record scheduled programs?

When you setup a season pass (Friends for example) would it record every episode of Friends if finds on any channel, or will ot only record Friends episodes on the channel you created your season pass from?

If two scheduled recordings are set to happen and you are currently watching live TV, will the tivo try to switch the channel of the tuner you are watching to record the scheduled event?

fixn278
02-27-2003, 04:16 AM
Originally posted by Betamax
If not, does it wake itself up from standby mode to record scheduled programs?

Yes, it records in standby. Most people have issues with standby, so most don't use it as it doesn't really have any benefit.

I have a couple of questions about how a series 1 Tivo works.
When you setup a season pass (Friends for example) would it record every episode of Friends if finds on any channel, or will ot only record Friends episodes on the channel you created your season pass from?

A season pass will record all episodes (depending on your criteria) on the channel you select only.

If two scheduled recordings are set to happen and you are currently watching live TV, will the tivo try to switch the channel of the tuner you are watching to record the scheduled event?

It will show a message asking permission. If you don't answer, it will assume you are not watching and change the channel

mrblack51
02-27-2003, 04:24 AM
yes. standby just turns off the video outputs

If not, does it wake itself up from standby mode to record scheduled programs? N/A

a season pass can be set up for just new episodes or all episodes on a given channel. if you want it to record the same show from multiple channels, you need to use a wishlist

Since you mention recording two things at once, I assume you are talking about the dtivo. The tivo will let you know which tuner it is trying to change the channel for when a recording is about to occure.

Betamax
02-27-2003, 05:12 AM
I am trying to setup a wishlist for Law and Order and all of it's offspring.

According to the instructions, I can add an asterik to the end of a title for a wildcard search.

However, a title wishlist based on
Law and Ord*
only finds
Law and Order
and doesn't find
Law and Order: Special Victims Unit
Law and Order: Criminal Intent

Also, if I try to setup a title wishlist for SVU or CI individually it doesn't find them.

any ideas?

zabs
02-27-2003, 09:48 AM
I just set up individual season passes for all 3 of them. I have never played around much with the wish lists.

Mikeylvstud
03-15-2003, 02:47 PM
:( :o :mad: :rolleyes: :confused: :eek: