PDA

View Full Version : Editing Question

superscan
02-27-2003, 02:02 PM
I have a bunch of shows that have clips (2-10 minutes) I will edit out. I'd like to join these clips together and burn them to DVD once the tool is ready.

Is there a way to join the clips without transcoding?

I'm using a DTivo.

Everything I read is about editing a single show and the steps to burn to DVD.

Any ideas?

captain_video
02-27-2003, 02:16 PM
jdiner's latest version of tytool is supposed to be able to output extracted tystreams directly as DVD-compliant mpeg streams. You should be able to edit them directly with any mpeg2 editor without any transcoding involved.

BubbleLamp
02-27-2003, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by superscan
I have a bunch of shows that have clips (2-10 minutes) I will edit out. I'd like to join these clips together and burn them to DVD once the tool is ready.

Is there a way to join the clips without transcoding?

I'm using a DTivo.

Everything I read is about editing a single show and the steps to burn to DVD.

Any ideas?

Not sure how to splice them together, but once you do just do a simple remux in TMPGEnc of the finished file and it's usable for burning. (Well, you'll need to patch the header to 352x480 to fake out the authoring tools, since most don't accept 480x480, which is one of the reasons why they transcode.)

Pr.Sinister
02-27-2003, 05:12 PM
It depends how your source is? Do you still have the ty files
or are they already in MPEG format?

-Pr.

captain_video
02-27-2003, 05:25 PM
Not sure how to splice them together,

If you have the files muxed as VOB files then you should be able to splice them using a combination of VOBEdit and IFOEdit. There's a tutorial on doing this at the IFOEdit website.

superscan
02-27-2003, 07:09 PM
PR- They are still in .ty format. I've been holding onto 80g worth of files for maybe an hours worth of footage.

Captain Video when you said:

jdiner's latest version of tytool is supposed to be able to output extracted tystreams directly as DVD-compliant mpeg streams. You should be able to edit them directly with any mpeg2 editor without any transcoding involved.

I'm guessing you mean the vobs. Do commerical editors like Premiere edit vobs?

Or is it just a matter of conversion (lossless) from vob to mpeg2, and then I can edit in Premiere? I've seen the DVDx product, but couldn't figure out if the process was lossless.

BubbleLamp
02-27-2003, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by superscan
PR- They are still in .ty format. I've been holding onto 80g worth of files for maybe an hours worth of footage.

Captain Video when you said:

I'm guessing you mean the vobs. Do commerical editors like Premiere edit vobs?

Or is it just a matter of conversion (lossless) from vob to mpeg2, and then I can edit in Premiere? I've seen the DVDx product, but couldn't figure out if the process was lossless.

He's talking about a tool Josh hasn't released yet, it's just being beta tested now.