PDA

View Full Version : turbonet card connecting to the internet

cpalmer1040
02-27-2003, 10:06 PM
I am getting ready to start from scratch on a dtivo. I'm installing xtreme2.5, xtreme upgrade 2.5.2 with xplusz, and a turbonet card.

By default can the turbo net card connect to the internet (I don't want it to) when it is connect to a router?

Is there an easy way to prevent the tivo from any unwanted connections?

Thanks for any help.

fixn278
02-27-2003, 10:21 PM
Two ways I can think of.

1st - Change the default gateway to an address on your lan that doesn't exist.

2nd - Most home routers allow you to specify an address that is not allowed out to the internet.

BubbleLamp
02-28-2003, 01:10 AM
You don't even need to set a default gateway if the Tivo and PC are on the same network segment. The gateway is only needed if you WANT the Tivo to be able to get out on the 'Net.

cpalmer1040
02-28-2003, 08:22 PM
You don't even need to set a default gateway if the Tivo and PC are on the same network segment. The gateway is only needed if you WANT the Tivo to be able to get out on the 'Net.

Probably a stupid question, but how do you change the gateway on the tivo, so it does not access the internet?

BubbleLamp
02-28-2003, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by cpalmer1040
Probably a stupid question, but how do you change the gateway on the tivo, so it does not access the internet?

The gateway is set by the line

route.tivo add default gw xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

If you don't use that line, no gateway is set, so it can't get to the Internet. If you change the xxx's to something that isn't the proper gateway, it won't get out to the Internet. There is no need for a gateway setting unless you want to get out of the local segment.

cpalmer1040
03-14-2003, 10:31 PM
Also wouldn't I have to change the "phone number" setting or something like that to make the tivo "dial" out over the internet.

So, if I never add that setting, it will never call out?

Sorry, to beat a dead horse, just want to make sure it won't connect unless I expressly let it do so.

Thanks,

BubbleLamp
03-15-2003, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by cpalmer1040
Also wouldn't I have to change the "phone number" setting or something like that to make the tivo "dial" out over the internet.

So, if I never add that setting, it will never call out?

Sorry, to beat a dead horse, just want to make sure it won't connect unless I expressly let it do so.

Thanks,

The Tivo tries to call out over the eth0 interface automatically, no change to the phone # required.

If you are using eth0, and no default gateway is set, it can't get out. If you are using net0, it can't get out.

If you're really paranoid, grab ping for the tivo and try to ping an IP address on the Internet.

doobs
03-17-2003, 01:11 PM
If I am using DHCP, will this method still keep the turbonet from connecting to the internet? Also, are there any features/advantages of allowing the dtivo from accessing the internet? With that being said, is there a way to keep the dtivo from calling home and still use these features?

BubbleLamp
03-17-2003, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by doobs
If I am using DHCP, will this method still keep the turbonet from connecting to the internet? Also, are there any features/advantages of allowing the dtivo from accessing the internet? With that being said, is there a way to keep the dtivo from calling home and still use these features?

If you are using DHCP, then yes, the gateway can be assigned to the Tivo that way. This is a problem if you are using eth0, since then it CAN call home via the Internet. Unless you plan to use Tivoweb to schedule shows or check on your Tivo from the road, there is no reason to allow it to connect to the Internet in the first place. To allow Internet access and prevent it from calling home, you MUST use something other than eth0 for the Ethernet interface.