PDA

View Full Version : Editing the MPG

DgtHorse
02-28-2003, 03:37 AM
how do you guys edit the mpg, i want to make an SVCD of a movie but obvously a 2 hour movie will not fit one 1 CD....how can i make it to fit onto 2. COuld i have some nice and easy steps :)

zabs
02-28-2003, 09:36 AM
Mmm....I don't think most people are going to be inclined to sit down and write out a how to, but to get you started, you are going to need to transcode the video to a lower bitrate if you want a 2 hour movie (in svcd format) to fit on one CD. (Most people would split this across two cd's as vcd only holds about an hour of video per disc.)

The best program I have used for transcoding is tmpegenc. It has templates to use to ensure that your resulting encode is in svcd compatible format, and you can downsample the video bitrate to fit the media you have on hand.

Check out:
www.vcdhelp.com
www.doom9.org

both sites have some great how to's and general video editing info.

chadbear
02-28-2003, 10:15 AM
How is Premiere at things like this?

Jeek
02-28-2003, 08:16 PM
I use TMEG and DVD2AVI

1. extract using Tytools with Vsplit mode on

2. Open the m2v file using DVD2AVI (freeware) save the project
this takes approx 90secs per half hour
this gives you a d2v file which you can open in

3. TMPEG (demo available).
you load the d2v into the video channel
and the m2a file into the audio channel

you can then transcode into whatever format you want

It also allows you to do simple cut editing, perfect for removing adverts. you can crop resize do colour correction etc.

I've got Premiere its a great editing tool but TMPEG keeps stuff in sync does all forms of mpeg encoding and has a great fit to disk mode

Cheers

p.s they can be found at doom9.net

DgtHorse
02-28-2003, 09:00 PM
i cannot load the d2v into TMPGEnc video channel it tells me its unsupported.

zabs
03-01-2003, 01:03 AM
Sorry about leaving out the DVD2AVI you will need to do that.

You have to make sure you have the most recent version of tmpeg with mpg2 support built in. Otherwise, if you have an old version there are some patches that have to be added.

DgtHorse
03-01-2003, 12:22 PM
i do have the latest version...as for the mpeg2 plug-in the only site i was able to find was in japanese and it kinda lost me :P

zabs
03-01-2003, 07:25 PM
if you check out tmpgenc's official site under the download tab it says this:

VFAPI plug-in for TMPGEnc project file

Version 2.59 It came to be enclosed by the program main part

So if you have 2.59 then you don't need the plug in.

Also be sure you can play your extracted m2v file. If not you may need to install a software dvd player.

jore
03-02-2003, 05:11 AM
Just to fill you in, Adobe Premiere 6.5 (the newest version) does not edit Mpeg2 files. It can just output them. All Mpeg2 plug-ins for Premiere also simply add Mpeg2 output capability. Premier is for "professional" editing, meaning it prefers something like .avi as input, and then outputs compressed files.

FredThompson
03-03-2003, 03:11 AM
If you use DVD2SVCD it will handle all the integration and steps.