PDA

View Full Version : Tytool6r2 observations and questions



captain_video
03-01-2003, 01:51 PM
I finally took the plunge and decided to try Tytool6r2. All of the instructions for using it so far have been somewhat sketchy so I'll provide the details of how I used it and the assumptions I've made. I would urge any of you that can dispute my assumptions to please chime in and set me straight.

1) Extracted program from DTivo using Tytool6r2 in Tystream mode.

2) Selected "Make Key File(s)" option. Added tyfile to open window and selected "Process" to generate key file.

3) Opened up GOPEditor4 and opened up keyframe file created in step 2.

a. Clicked on "[" button to indicate start point of cut.

b. Clicked on "]" button to indicate end point of cut.

c. Clicked on "Add Cut" button to add segment to Cut List.

d. Repeated steps a through c for all unwanted (i.e. commercial) segments. Saved Cut List and closed GOPEditor.

4) Selected "Edit KeyFile(s)" option in Tytool6r2. Added 8.key file to window and selected "Process".

5) Selected "Multiplex File(s)" option in Tytool6r2. Added *.ty file to open window and selected "Process".

6) Opened processed m2v file in Cinemaster2K and it played back fine with no sync problems. Commercial segments were cut and no transition problems were noticed at cut points.

So far, so good. I then tried importing it into SpruceUp to add menus and chapter stops. I got an error message indicating it was an illegal resolution. I wasn't all that surprised so I used DVD Patcher to patch the 1st header to 720X480. I immediately got a GOP temporal reference error when I tried importing the m2v file. I'm sure this could have been fixed using tydemux but then that would have defeated the entire purpose of using Tytool6r2 and GOPEditor.

Now for my main question - what do I do with the finished m2v file after I have gone through the processing steps outlined above? I understand that this is now an mpeg file and I assume that it can be imported into most commercially available DVD authoring programs like DVD Workshop, DVD Movie Factory, MyDVD, and many others.

BubbleLamp
03-01-2003, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by captain_video
I finally took the plunge and decided to try Tytool6r2. All of the instructions for using it so far have been somewhat sketchy so I'll provide the details of how I used it and the assumptions I've made. I would urge any of you that can dispute my assumptions to please chime in and set me straight.

1) Extracted program from DTivo using Tytool6r2 in Tystream mode.

2) Selected "Make Key File(s)" option. Added tyfile to open window and selected "Process" to generate key file.

3) Opened up GOPEditor4 and opened up keyframe file created in step 2.

a. Clicked on "[" button to indicate start point of cut.

b. Clicked on "]" button to indicate end point of cut.

c. Clicked on "Add Cut" button to add segment to Cut List.

d. Repeated steps a through c for all unwanted (i.e. commercial) segments. Saved Cut List and closed GOPEditor.

4) Selected "Edit KeyFile(s)" option in Tytool6r2. Added 8.key file to window and selected "Process".

5) Selected "Multiplex File(s)" option in Tytool6r2. Added *.ty file to open window and selected "Process".

6) Opened processed m2v file in Cinemaster2K and it played back fine with no sync problems. Commercial segments were cut and no transition problems were noticed at cut points.

So far, so good. I then tried importing it into SpruceUp to add menus and chapter stops. I got an error message indicating it was an illegal resolution. I wasn't all that surprised so I used DVD Patcher to patch the 1st header to 720X480. I immediately got a GOP temporal reference error when I tried importing the m2v file. I'm sure this could have been fixed using tydemux but then that would have defeated the entire purpose of using Tytool6r2 and GOPEditor.

Now for my main question - what do I do with the finished m2v file after I have gone through the processing steps outlined above? I understand that this is now an mpeg file and I assume that it can be imported into most commercially available DVD authoring programs like DVD Workshop, DVD Movie Factory, MyDVD, and many others.

Not quite there yet, jdiner hasn't released the version which fixes the audio error. When that comes out, the MPG should process fine.

newbie
03-01-2003, 02:29 PM
Captain--I have a DTivo. I adapted a batch file (I think from mpauly). His file had the program files and the batch file. You can get rid of the first part of his batch file. Demux, besweet to fix the audio then ifoedit. Don't know how to attach a file to this message so I did a cut and paste. BTW I use Win98se and found out (the hard way) that most of the fancy batch files people post here won't work.
cd\tivo
echo.
echo Now we're goig to use jrDMUX...
echo.

bbdmux %1 0xe0 c:\tivo\proc\vid.m2v
bbdmux %1 0xc0 c:\tivo\proc\aud.mpa
echo.
C:\DVD\besWEET\BeSweet -core( -input c:\tivo\proc\aud.mpa -output c:\tivo\proc\aud.m2a ) -azid( -c light -L -3db --maximize ) -ssrc( --rate 48000 ) -2lame( -m j -b 224 -e )
del c:\tivo\proc\aud.mpa

BubbleLamp
03-01-2003, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by newbie
Captain--I have a DTivo. I adapted a batch file (I think from mpauly). His file had the program files and the batch file. You can get rid of the first part of his batch file. Demux, besweet to fix the audio then ifoedit. Don't know how to attach a file to this message so I did a cut and paste. BTW I use Win98se and found out (the hard way) that most of the fancy batch files people post here won't work.
cd\tivo
echo.
echo Now we're goig to use jrDMUX...
echo.

bbdmux %1 0xe0 c:\tivo\proc\vid.m2v
bbdmux %1 0xc0 c:\tivo\proc\aud.mpa
echo.
C:\DVD\besWEET\BeSweet -core( -input c:\tivo\proc\aud.mpa -output c:\tivo\proc\aud.m2a ) -azid( -c light -L -3db --maximize ) -ssrc( --rate 48000 ) -2lame( -m j -b 224 -e )
del c:\tivo\proc\aud.mpa

The batch files not working has nothing to do with Win98. What you must do is have ALL of the required files in your PATH. The easiest way to do this is put them in your system or system32 directory. (Type path and hit enter at the DOS prompt, use whichever one is in the list.) There are a number of dll's that are needed for besweet and 2lame, they also must be in your path. Then create a shortcut on the desktop for the batch file, and drag/drop the file onto it. One last thing, the batch file needs to be in the directory where you are dragging the source files from.

captain_video
03-01-2003, 04:23 PM
I'm unclear as to why you would need to use BeSweet for the audio on a DTivo stream. I generally don't have any problems with the audio except for an occasional sync issue with certain movies. Are you telling me that I need to run the muxed file through a demuxer and then run it through BeSweet to fix the sync problem? I believe in the KISS principle when it comes to doing anything with software and I don't like the idea of having to use 4 or 5 different pieces of software to perform a simple task.

So far I have yet to come across any process that is any easier than the basic SpruceUp method for burning DVDs. Taking the straight vsplit (or tydemuxed) output from a ty file to DVD Patcher to SpruceUp is about as simple as it can get. The IFOEdit method is only slightly faster but I like to add menus and chapter stops to my movies. The IFOEdit method using the celltimes.txt file that's been posted in this forum wreaks havoc with my DVD player (the counter goes batshit and the video freezes at certain chapter stops) and isn't all that much faster than the SpruceUp method.

I'm still trying to piece together the rationale for going through this whole muxing method. The only obvious reason I can see to do it is for editing out commercials. According to BL's post, the current muxed output from TyTool6r2 isn't quite ready for use with commercial authoring tools yet, which is probably why jdiner has asked for beta testers to try his latest offering. If josh can get the process down to a simple all-in-one package that extracts, edits, and muxes to a title set, then that would be worth using.

I don't like the idea of spending more time to author a DVD than it takes to watch it. That would just seem like a negative return on my investment, but that's just my opinion. I've already accumulated a backlog of videos that I haven't had time to watch. If I spend all of my time authoring new shows then there doesn't seem to be much point if I can't find the time to view the finished product.

newbie
03-01-2003, 05:35 PM
BL--WIN98 Doesn't allow for many of the commands that people posting batch files in this forum use. I understand the concept of paths and directories but I found out the hard way that commands like
%~d0% ~p0% %~n1 don't exist in Win98.

Captain--I'm not an expert on AV files but there seems to be a problem with the files tytools6 produce. They seem to be "illegal" and Jdnier is supposed to be working on it.

The batch file that I posted (stolen from mpauley--last post on first page http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21745&perpage=15&pagenumber=1) gives you files you can use with IFOEDit. If I don't use Besweet Ifoedit can't handle the audio (I burned two DVD's with no sound at all). It was posted that Jdnier has some type of illegal header in his files and that besweet fixes it. I normally cut the first few minutes of the file (before a premium channel movie) that might cause the problem.

I drag the muxed file into my batch file and I wind up with 2 files that IFOEDIT can handle. I agree that it takes too long and is too many steps but IT WORKS. I have yet to find a way to get the muxed files from Tytools6 into SpruceUP without the program crashing.

To improve compatability with standalone DVD players, exit IFOEDIT, re-run IFOEDIT using the "get vts sectors" button.

BubbleLamp
03-01-2003, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by newbie
BL--WIN98 Doesn't allow for many of the commands that people posting batch files in this forum use. I understand the concept of paths and directories but I found out the hard way that commands like
%~d0% ~p0% %~n1 don't exist in Win98.



Wow, sorry about that. It's been so long since I ran Win9x I never thought about that!

DeTer
03-01-2003, 08:10 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by newbie


I drag the muxed file into my batch file and I wind up with 2 files that IFOEDIT can handle.

newbie

I have been trying mpaulys batch file as well, and for the life of me i don't end up with 2 files that will import into Ifoedit. The m2v is no problem but I can't get it to take the mp2. what am i missing??? any help on this would be appriciated.......I have about 177 Seinfeld episodes that I would like to start processing.

Thx

DeTer

newbie
03-01-2003, 08:21 PM
I think the audio file has to be m2a. Look at my batch file a few posts up.

FreydNot
03-01-2003, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by newbie
BL--WIN98 Doesn't allow for many of the commands that people posting batch files in this forum use. I understand the concept of paths and directories but I found out the hard way that commands like
%~d0% ~p0% %~n1 don't exist in Win98.


I know its off topic but... I'd really like to get into more advanced batch file scripting under winxp. Can anyone point me towards some resources that will tell me about %~d0% ~p0% etc?

keith721
03-02-2003, 11:01 AM
If you're interested in purchasing one of those ancient communication vehicles known as a 'book' ;) I can highly recommend Tim Hill's Windows NT Shell Scripting

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1578700477/103-8841764-2032646?vi=glance

Other than that, there's several good web references that come up in a Google search for "Windows NT batch scripting" . . .

Good Luck!

keith721

captain_video
03-02-2003, 12:13 PM
I decided to try some further experimentation with Tytool6r2 so I thought I'd share my results with the forum. I'm sure a lot of you have done your own testing with Tytool6r2 so this may already be old news to you. I used the same episode of Stargate SG-1 (The Crystal Skull) that I processed in my previous posts above for the rest of my trials. As indicated previously, I extracted the ty file, created a key file, marked the unwanted segments in GOPEditor, edited the key file, and then muxed the final output to an mpg file. The resultant mpg file played fine in Cinemaster2K. When I tried importing the same mpg file into SpruceUp, I received a GOP temporal reference error. Demuxing the file using TMPGEnc and then importing into SpruceUp again yielded the same result.

I tried splitting the original ty file using tydemux and it split fine with no indications of any gaps or other errors. The split files imported into SpruceUp without a hitch.

I split the ty file again but this time I used the Parse Files function (i.e. vsplit mode) in Tytool6r2. Again, the split files imported into SpruceUp with no (unexpected) errors. This means that somewhere in the process of using GOPEditor and vsplitmux a GOP temporal reference error is being introduced into the stream.

I tried one last experiment using Tytool6r2 and GOPEditor. I created the key file, set my cut points in GOPEditor, and edited the key file. Instead of processing the file using vsplitmux, I split it using vsplit mode to see if it would pick up the edits and cut the commercials. No such luck as the resultant m2v and m2a files remained uncut. I would, however, love to see this option incorporated into Tytool6r2. This would allow those of us that are comfortable with existing DVD authoring methods to have a practical method of editing out commercials without losing sync and still use our current authoring tools.

On a lighter note, I captured a still image from the episode of Stargate SG-1 that some of you may find amusing. If you ever wondered what you can do with your old Marantz RC2000 remotes, check out the attached image. The producers of Stargate SG-1 have found a way to truly make the RC2000 the "Remote of the Gods." Sam was using it as a test device for measuring some sort of radiation!

Pr.Sinister
03-02-2003, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by FreydNot
I know its off topic but... I'd really like to get into more advanced batch file scripting under winxp. Can anyone point me towards some resources that will tell me about %~d0% ~p0% etc?

I have done some pretty amazing batch files and got most of
my reference info from there : Batch File Command Reference For Windows 2000/XP (http://www.labmice.net/articles/batchcmds.htm)

It's an awesome reference to creating powerful batch files

Tiros
03-02-2003, 08:19 PM
Capn,

Just take the muxed,cut file and run it thru TMPGen simple multiplex, where the in files are m2v & m2a, the output file is mpg. Then run DVD patcher and load into MF or whatever. It also cleans up an audio sync problem that occurs at the cut point. Read the big thread about MovieFactory2.0.

Hope this helps

captain_video
03-03-2003, 11:11 AM
Tiros,

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

I found something very unusual that occurred the other day when I tried extracting a few movies I recorded on PPV. I extracted them using Tytool6r2 via tystream mode. I split them using tydemux. Two of the moviews showed GOP errors during the splitting process but indicated that repairs were successful. When these were imported into SpruceUp, GOP temporal reference errors were ereported in the same places that tydemux supposedly made the repairs.

I split the ty files again using the vsplit (i.e. Parse Files) option in Tytool. This time, both movies imported into SpruceUp with no errors. This is truly bizarre because I thought that Tytool did not have any sort of repair function built in the way that tydemux does. The ironic thing is that tydemux has always (at least most of the time) been able to repair any sort of gap (i.e. GOP temporal reference error or missing audio) in an extracted ty file but vsplit has not. I'm wondering if Tytool6r2 has developed some sort of incompatibility with tydemux. Hey Josh, you're not pulling a Microsoft on us, are you?

newbie
03-03-2003, 11:22 AM
I tried using the simple remux and Spruce Up didn't like my audio file.

Captain--I already tried most of what you're trying, so far the only thing I found that consistently works is Mpaulys procedure. I guess both Josh and Olaf are working on updates that should solve the problems.