PDA

View Full Version : Patching?

jaja
03-02-2003, 01:19 PM
Has anyone written/read a good "how-to" document ... in English ... which discusses patching?

I've been playing around with DVDPatcher and, I've been able to achieve results but, this is purely trial and error.

For example, what does "size" (vertical/horizontal resolution) really mean? What are we sacrificing when we reduce the bi-rate? When should we patch the whole file or just the header?

If anyone finds such a document, it sounds like a great candidate for a "sticky" topic.

I appologize for asking such a silly question but I really did try and find this info myself first before posting. I searched for "patching" and "dvdpatcher" and I can find alot of people talking "about" these concepts but I wasn't able to identify any meaningful documentation.

captain_video
03-02-2003, 01:34 PM
Using DVD Patcher is not all that involved. When patching for the purpose of importing a video file into SpruceUp or DVD Maestro, you only need to patch the 1st header and not the entire file. If you patch the entire file you will end up transcoding the entire clip and end up losing resolution as a result.

Setting the bitrate isn't all that important for most applications, however it may be crucial as to which setting you use for others so some experimentation may be required. The size indicates the number of pixels displayed both horizontally and vertically, depending on which broadcast format you are using. The vertical size will default to the correct setting when you import the m2v or other video file into DVD Patcher.

The horizontal resolution is something you set yourself. Normally you would patch the file to 720 (horizantal) X 480 (vertical) for an NTSC file. This is done solely for the purpose of importing the file into the authoring software. Once the Preview files (i.e. *m2v.PRV and *.m2a.PRV) have been generated you can patch it back to 480X480. Leave the aspect ration at 4:3 unless you are using a 16:9 display for viewing the finished DVD.

jaja
03-02-2003, 01:44 PM
I sort of have to experiment at this point. My burner came with Sonic's MyDVD and not alot of people on this forum recommend using it. I tried DVDMaestro, SpruceUp, and Ulead DMF but they all abort on my SONY PC.

I suppose that, if I take my time and perfect some methods with Sonic that it will benefit this group in the long run.

Everyone, continue to keep your eyes open for any documentation on patching and let us know where it is. Thanks.

captain_video
03-02-2003, 03:27 PM
Everything you need to know about patching is in the post I provided. What else are you looking for? Patching a file is not a big mystery. The only reason you need to patch an extracted tystream is because a DTivo records at 480X480 resolution and is not a recognizable format used by most authoring software. You only need to patch the 1st header to fool the software into thinking you're importing a DVD-compliant 720X480 video file. That's all there is to it.

N47H4N
03-02-2003, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by captain_video

The horizontal resolution is something you set yourself. Normally you would patch the file to 720 (horizantal) X 480 (vertical) for an NTSC file. This is done solely for the purpose of importing the file into the authoring software. Once the Preview files (i.e. *m2v.PRV and *.m2a.PRV) have been generated you can patch it back to 480X480.
I also Use MyDVD (Sonic, came with Sony 500DRU). Are talking about the little "in motion" sample previews of video that serve as buttons? In MyDVD if I patch the header of the mpg being added, the preview is bad, big black space to the left of the little video preview. It only gives a good looking preview if I leave it at 480x480.

What I want to know is how to avoid the video transcoding that occurs when authoring the DVD with MyDVD (other authoring software too?, i will have to try) it takes four times as long as the video clip itself. What constitutes a valid mpg file, not in need of video transcoding, to author a DVD? or is MyDVD maybe just cruddy?

I have the 480x480, 4:3, 3.5 Mbps, and I convert the audio stream to 48 from the 32. I use a Philips SA with Software Version: 3.0-01-1-000 and Turbonet.

I have burned some DVDs successfully using the IFOEdit IFO method, but I would like to make nicer DVDs with menus etc.

BubbleLamp
03-02-2003, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by N47H4N
I also Use MyDVD (Sonic, came with Sony 500DRU). Are talking about the little "in motion" sample previews of video that serve as buttons? In MyDVD if I patch the header of the mpg being added, the preview is bad, big black space to the left of the little video preview. It only gives a good looking preview if I leave it at 480x480.

What I want to know is how to avoid the video transcoding that occurs when authoring the DVD with MyDVD (other authoring software too?, i will have to try) it takes four times as long as the video clip itself. What constitutes a valid mpg file, not in need of video transcoding, to author a DVD? or is MyDVD maybe just cruddy?

I have the 480x480, 4:3, 3.5 Mbps, and I convert the audio stream to 48 from the 32. I use a Philips SA with Software Version: 3.0-01-1-000 and Turbonet.

I have burned some DVDs successfully using the IFOEdit IFO method, but I would like to make nicer DVDs with menus etc.

Can't speak for MyDVD, since I never use it, but for Movie Factory or DVD Workshop, the video files need the first header to be patched to 352x480, or it will transcode. It complains about the audio being MPG 48k when you go to create the VOBs, but it doesn't transcode the audio.

It really comes down to what your authoring app considers valid MPGs. If it'll handle 720x480, you could try faking with that setting in DVD patcher. I found the video was messed up this way, since the 720 dimension is bigger than the source's 480. By going down to 352, this gets rid of that issue. The non-standard audio may cause an authoring app to decide to transcode as well.

N47H4N
03-03-2003, 01:31 AM
I think I am beginning to really understand the purpose behind standards. :)

MyDVD seems quite strange.
One obtained MPG file, 720x480, bit rate is like 7.45Mbps, audio 384 kbps, 48kHz (Mpeg layer 2).
MyDVD would burn it even after DVDPatching the header to 480x480 and 3.5Mbps with no video transcoding, but always audio transcodes.
The same specs (after some transcoding in mpeg2vcr) on a SA Tivo Extracted MPG doesn't transcode audio, but wants to transocde video every single time.

It seems MyDVD software must look to more than just the header for information then. Crap.
MyDVD = free with the DVD writer.
DVD factory, etc. = $$
It just might be worth it though...

BubbleLamp
03-03-2003, 01:53 AM
I think I am beginning to really understand the purpose behind standards. :)

MyDVD seems quite strange.
One obtained MPG file, 720x480, bit rate is like 7.45Mbps, audio 384 kbps, 48kHz (Mpeg layer 2).
MyDVD would burn it even after DVDPatching the header to 480x480 and 3.5Mbps with no video transcoding, but always audio transcodes.
The same specs (after some transcoding in mpeg2vcr) on a SA Tivo Extracted MPG doesn't transcode audio, but wants to transocde video every single time.

It seems MyDVD software must look to more than just the header for information then. Crap.
MyDVD = free with the DVD writer.
DVD factory, etc. = $$
It just might be worth it though...

Try converting the audio to AC3 and see if it'll accept the audio without transcoding.

N47H4N
03-03-2003, 03:51 AM
You think the particular audio stream could trigger the transcoding of the video?

I tried the DVD Workshop way with the help of Pr.Sinister's tutorial. Pretty easy and seems to work well.

I guess you get what you pay for (MyDVD being free)

I assume BeSweet would be the best tool to transcode the audio to ac3?

Oh well, another tool to learn and futz with, how can I resist.

BubbleLamp
03-03-2003, 11:46 AM
You think the particular audio stream could trigger the transcoding of the video?

I tried the DVD Workshop way with the help of Pr.Sinister's tutorial. Pretty easy and seems to work well.

I guess you get what you pay for (MyDVD being free)

I assume BeSweet would be the best tool to transcode the audio to ac3?

Oh well, another tool to learn and futz with, how can I resist.

No, audio won't trigger the video to transcode, but you said you were able to get no video transcoding in one of your configs. I'm saying use that config for the video, and try something else for the audio.

N47H4N
03-03-2003, 08:40 PM
I don't think I clear enough...
what I was trying to say was that video transcoded in one video file but not on another with the same exact patched header settings.
And the audio performed the opposite... on the file that the video did not transcode, the audio did.
the other file where video always transcoded, the audio did not.
Also the same audio settings, 48kHz, 384kbps, stereo mpeg laye 2

So it seemd to me that MyDVD is not just looking at the header for info about the video. Even though the patched headers were the same, but the original video was 720x480 (7.45Mbps) on the video that did not transcode, and 480x480 on the original SA TiVo feed for the other.