PDA

View Full Version : Daisy-Chaining two Multiswitches ???

zabs
03-03-2003, 01:28 PM
Has anybody ever daisy-chained two 2X4 multiswitches?
Meaning If I have two multiswitches each that take two satellite inputs and have four outputs. Could I take two of the outputs from multiswitch#1 and hook it up to the 2 inputs from multiswitch#2 would I get anything on the 4 outputs from multiswitch #2.

Here's my delema. I have a 2X4 multiswitch now. All 4 outputs are taken up by the two dual lnb tivo's that I have. I'm looking to add a normal receiver or maybe a 3rd tivo to the house. The way I have all my coax run, it would be really nice to keep a 2X4 outside and then have another 2X4 located inside the house. (I would actually be buying an outdoor rated multiswitch, as my current one is not meant to be outdoors...but it is :) )

And to the best of my knowledge no one makes an outdoor 2X8 multiswitch

captain_video
03-03-2003, 01:49 PM
Yes, you can daisychain multiswitches. It might be best if you have powered multiswitches instead of passive ones but it should still work. Connect it just as you described and it should work fine. The only problem using such a setup is that you will get more loss through the 2nd multiswitch than if you used a single 2X8 unit due to the additional connections and cables. This probably won't be an issue if you get strong signals on most of your transponders (i.e. 70 or above).

groundhog
03-18-2003, 12:48 PM
Should both multiswitches be powered, or can just the first one be powered? If the second one is within a foot or two from the First, would it need to be powered? I currently have a powered multiswitch, and would love to be able to add a cheap/non powered switch to it.

mrblack51
03-18-2003, 01:15 PM
there is an issue of whether the switches are cascadable or not which can come into play as well. i have done it where i had a 2x4 splitting 119 and a 2x8 splitting 101, with outputs from the two splitters going into a 4x2. worked well

groundhog
03-18-2003, 03:11 PM
Mine is a 2x4 with both inputs from 101.