PDA

View Full Version : What authoring software do you use for creating DVDs?

captain_video
03-04-2003, 09:52 AM
I've been reading lots of posts over the past few months about the various methods that people have used for authoring DVDs. I am curious to know which software packages have been used successfully to create DVDs. Here's a list of some of the authoring tools that have been widely used or have at least been proven to work with extracted ty files. I am interested in any other authoring software that anyone has been able to use other than the ones listed below:

DVD Maestro (AC-3)
SpruceUp (AC-3)
IFOEdit (AC-3?)
DVD Movie Factory (no AC-3)
MyDVD (no AC-3?)

Any caveats or other comments regarding the above software would also be appreciated. As you can see from the list, I would like to know which tools will support AC-3 audio soundtracks. While other methods have been developed for authoring, thanks to the efforts of jdiner for his latest Tytool6r2 and vsplitmux, some of the authoring software being used does not support AC-3 audio. In my opinion, this is a giant step backward from using Maestro or SpruceUp. While it may be nice to have alternate methods of authoring DVDs, the lack of AC-3 support is unacceptable as more and more shows are being broadcast with Dolby Digital soundtracks.

I would also like to see listings of any ancillary software used to support the authoring and/or editing functions, like DVD Patcher, TMPGEnc, or BeSweet, as well as a brief, but detailed, description of what each one is used for in the process and why. Here's an example of what I'd like to see:

DVD Patcher - patches 1st header of video file to make file pseudo DVD-compliant for importing into authoring software
SpruceUp - allows for authoring project with menus, titles, and chapter stops; can compile and burn directly to some DVD burners or write to a title set

03-04-2003, 10:08 AM
A related request:
Olaf, Jdnier and the beta users please tell us which of the common applications your files are compatable and which ones you know they aren't compatable with.

For example the muxed files from tytools6 don't seem to work with Spruce Up (no matter what you do) and the ty files from tytools 6 don't see to split well with Olafs program.

Pr.Sinister
03-04-2003, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by captain_video
DVD Maestro (AC-3)
SpruceUp (AC-3)
IFOEdit (AC-3?)
DVD Movie Factory (no AC-3)
MyDVD (no AC-3?)

Ulead DVD Worshop and
Ulead DVD Movie Factory

Both support AC-3. Although then don't say it, you can author
AC-3 DVD's... With professional looking menus too...

-Pr.

captain_video
03-04-2003, 02:09 PM
Pr - DVD Workshop comes in two different flavors: one with AC-3 support and one without. The trial version does not support it and the only way it will support it is to buy the $199 upgrade to DVD Workshop or buy the full-blown package for $499. As for DVD Movie Factory, I'd be surprised if it offers anything other than 2-channel Dolby Digital support. The same goes for the non-AC-3 version of DVD Workshop.

newbie - I concur with your findings about Tytool6 and olaf's tydemux as well as the muxed output from Tytool6 not being compatible with SpruceUp (jdiner apparently does not care that much for SpruceUp; his words, not mine). SpruceUp doesn't accept any muxed assets unless they are separate audio and video components. It apparently doesn't like the demuxed output from Tytool6 after it's been previously muxed as well.

Pr.Sinister
03-04-2003, 03:43 PM
Pr - DVD Workshop comes in two different flavors: one with AC-3 support and one without. The trial version does not support it and the only way it will support it is to buy the $199 upgrade to DVD Workshop or buy the full-blown package for $499. As for DVD Movie Factory, I'd be surprised if it offers anything other than 2-channel Dolby Digital support. The same goes for the non-AC-3 version of DVD Workshop.

newbie - I concur with your findings about Tytool6 and olaf's tydemux as well as the muxed output from Tytool6 not being compatible with SpruceUp (jdiner apparently does not care that much for SpruceUp; his words, not mine). SpruceUp doesn't accept any muxed assets unless they are separate audio and video components. It apparently doesn't like the demuxed output from Tytool6 after it's been previously muxed as well.

I just burnt a DVD with 2 movies on it. Requiem For a Dream and Memento.

Requiem For a Dream had DD 5.1 and Memento DD 2.0. I used
DVD Workshop (the non AC3 version) and burnt create the DVD.

My Denon amp shows me Dolby Digital 5.1 when Requiem is
playing and Dolby Pro Logic when Memento is playing.

When i play them in PowerDVD, same thing. PowerDVD says
Dolby Digital 5.1 and Dolby Digital 2.0

-Pr.

captain_video
03-04-2003, 08:29 PM
Interesting. I just loaded DVD Workshop (non-AC-3 version) on my PC last night. I'll have to give it a try and see how it works.

bato
03-04-2003, 11:35 PM
I'm with Pr.Sinister again! :D both can acept mpg with AC3 audio muxed in them, they will nag (you can fix that at least I fixed with Movie Factory) and will burn the DVDs ok.

I believe the $199 AC3 extra pack do more than just let the product import mpg with ac3 audio in it, this from Ulead site:

Whether you're using DVD Workshop with the AC-3 PowerPack or DVDWS AC-3, you can import AC-3 5.1 Surround Sound audio files directly into your DVD projects by either using elementary or program stream content. If you don't already have AC-3 audio files and wish to take advantage of their high compression and playback compatibility, DVD Workshop will create Stereo AC-3 files from your LPCM or WAV audio.

The AC-3 PowerPack or DVD Workshop AC-3 also includes Ulead AutoPlay™, an autorun DVD playback software that you can choose to burn with your project to ensure PC playback of your DVD and Video CD discs.