PDA

View Full Version : [CC] closed captions & SAP on extracted streams?

Hi8
03-04-2003, 11:52 AM
I'm wondering if anybody knows? I'm at work so I can't check it in realtime.

If I successfully extract and mux->VOB burn to DVD-R(W) will the resulting video/audio stream contain the CC and or SAP if it was in the original broadcast?

This assumes the extraction was from a DTIVO - I'm told that the recorded data is a capture of the broadcast stream.

Does it work if you are just watching a recorded show on the TiVo itself? I never tried it. ???

EDIT: I think I I found my answer, after searching abit,(should have done that first) but it is a topic that may need the dust blown off again.

captain_video
03-04-2003, 02:27 PM
I seem to remember reading about this a while back. If the closed caption info is part of the original signal then it should also be in the tystream. However, I don't think Tytool supports the closed captioning portion of the stream so it may get lost somewhere during processing of the tystream. I'm not sure that the DVD format actually allows for any closed captioning of the muxed video so it's unmlikely that you'd be able to display it on playback. If there was some way to extract that portion of the original stream you could probably restore it as a subtitle file.