PDA

View Full Version : TMPGenc won't accept .m2v/.m2a

firstmagic
03-04-2003, 02:12 PM
First off, I just want to take my turn to heap accolades upon all those that have put so much time, work, and energy into helping this community along. :) Thanks a ton! :D

I have a Phillips SA (running 3.0xxx) that I'm able to successfully extract .ty's from -- the process of getting them to DVD seems to be going ok, to a point. Here's what I've done so far:

1. Extract streams to my win2k PC via tytool6a
2. Split into .m2v/.m2a using tytool
3. Convert audio using BeSweet, ssrc, and toolame
a. BeSweet.exe -core( -input "%1\%2.m2a" -output "%1\out32.wav" -2ch )
b. ssrc.exe --rate 48000 --twopass "%1\out32.wav" "%1\out48.wav"
c. toolame.exe -m s -b 224 -e "%1\out48.wav" "%1\out48.mp2"
4. Launch TMPGenc.

Now, what I'm trying to do is get TMPGenc to accept the resultant .mp2 and .m2v files so that I can remux them and have the video bumped to the 720x480 resolution. A wizard comes up when I launch TMPGenc, which I follow along with (using the NTSC DVD setting, etc). The first problem I encounter is that it won't accept the .mp2 file -- when I try to load it into TMPGenc, an error dialog pops up:

File "H:\tivo\shows\jgroban\jgroban.mp2" can not open, or unsupported.

This is regardless of which audio setting I choose in the wizard leading up to this point (I'm at work now, and don't remember exactly the two choices, one was an mpg type of choice, and the other was something else).

If I give TMPGenc the .wav, it seems happy -- until I try to start the encoding process, then TMPGenc complains similarly about the video file:

File "H:\tivo\shows\jgroban\jgroban.m2v" can not open, or unsupported.

This despite the fact that I can see the first frame of the video in TMPGenc's window.

Am I missing something?

As well, is there a better/preferred tool for doing this? I'm eventually going to edit out the commercials, as well.

Thanks for the help! :)

groovdadelic
03-04-2003, 10:13 PM
You need the correct plugin. Power DVD 4 and/or you can load a plugin for it..
http://www.dvdrhelp.com/tmpgenc.htm#problems
has info and links to pages with plugins.

So happens I was up all night last night/morning with the same problem... I had just formatted my box, and everything worked before the format, "finally" read up on it on vcdhelp.com and found out I needed a plugin.. frustration is over, just sleeeeepy now ;) hehe

nomodem1
03-04-2003, 11:39 PM
Use a program called DVD2AVI (see vcdhelp.com for download) to create a .d2v file from your .m2v file you created with Tytool.

From DVD2AVI you'll use:
1. File 'Open' <.m2v file created with tytool>
2. ADD
3. File 'Save Project'

'Save project' option generates the .d2v file. That's all, then just quit DVD2AVI.

TMPGEnc will accept this .d2v as the video 'portion', and the .m2a as the audio 'portion'.

Hope this helps.

firstmagic
03-08-2003, 12:01 AM
Excellent. :) That gets me most of the way there... however, PowerDVD crashes whenver I try to play the resultant .mpg ... as well, I can't even try to play it directly, I have to drag-n-drop the .mpg into PowerDVD (it seems to be looking for a .ifo?)

I suspect that might be related to the audio bit, as TMPGenc still won't take the .mp2 that was generated (as per above steps), when re-muxing, I have to give it the .wav instead...

I must be missing a step somewhere... :confused: