PDA

View Full Version : TyTyool Multiplexing, perfect DVD compilation

riekl
03-04-2003, 07:54 PM
I see a lot of talk here about getting Tytool to do everything for you including creating the .mpg stream .. now i may be wrong but i'd say "most" of you extract stuff so you can burn it to a dvd right ?

Then simply use tytool to demux, then use derrow's ifoedit to make your .vob's its perfect, its easy, its relatively quick and its painless ..

spinxter
03-04-2003, 09:40 PM
Those of us with SA recorders have to take the extra step to convert the audio, but you are right. I have done the method you describe more than once, and it works great.

Now if we could just get an easier way to add chapters in IFOedit it would be perfect...

captain_video
03-04-2003, 10:47 PM
I would hardly call the IfoEdit method perfect but it is relatively easy. The chapter stop issue is more than a little painful, IMHO. Using the celltimes.txt file circulating in this forum causes my Sony DVD player to go nuts when I try skipping chapters. I know some people don't like SpruceUp (I honestly can't understand why; it's a snap to use and has far more features for authoring than IfoEdit), but it's my program of choice, as I'm sure many members have realized by now. It only requires a few extra easy steps to create menus and titles with working buttons and chapter stops. I tried the IfoEdit method and, quite frankly, I find it totally unsatisfying. If all you want to do is slap a video to a DVD with no features (or working chapter stops), then IfoEdit is definitely for you. If you'd like a nice menu (and submenus, if you like) with chapter stops that actually work then I'd highly recommend SpruceUp. If you feel more adventurous and want to make truly professional looking DVDs then go with DVD Maestro. Maestro is a genuine professional authoring tool similar to, but nowhere near as complex as, Scenarist.

riekl
03-05-2003, 08:12 AM
captain_video,

Well .. the majority of people don't want to take hours to put the stuff together. I never claimed Ifoedit's authoring was featurefilled, it is as basic as you can get. The point being you can make a DVD out of your ripped shows in signifcantly less time with just a few clicks. No messing with menu's, graphics, is this going to load at the right time etc.

Chapters always baffle me .. I dont even waste time putting chapters in ... what use are they ?? Maybe for people who like to watch the same scene over and over but I think I am like most people I watch a film from start to end, as long as i have the ability to pause, rewind and fastforward thats all i need.

In fact I go out of my way even when making backups of my dvds to strip out menus, animations, etc. I like to pop a dvd in and watch the movie not spend 2 minutes navigating a menu system that doesn't need to be there ..

I guess in short .. yes if you want menu's and other garbage between you and your show, ifoedit is not for you. However if you just want that dang show burned on a dvd in dvd compliant format as quickly as possible with as little fuss as possible, then Ifoedit IS perfect =)

Fugg
03-05-2003, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by riekl
... I guess in short .. yes if you want menu's and other garbage between you and your show, ifoedit is not for you. However if you just want that dang show burned on a dvd in dvd compliant format as quickly as possible with as little fuss as possible, then Ifoedit IS perfect =)

Garbage aside, on a disk with 11 22min shows, how do you quickly get to what you want to watch with no menus?
:confused:

and btw, ford is better than chevy!
;)

riekl
03-05-2003, 09:46 AM
Ahh .. well there is a good use for menus I suppose .. I have never considered putting sitcom's on DVD's i use extraction exclusively for movies ..

Although you could use chapter points in Ifoedit and just skip to however many spots in your show is.

In reality Ifoedit just makes your extractions much like a VHS tape .. how did you get to the 4th show on a VHS tape ? Fastforward =)

captain_video
03-05-2003, 09:56 AM
riekl,

Your comments indicate that you have not used SpruceUp much, if at all. The time it takes to use SpruceUp instead of IfoEdit is only slightly longer, mostly due to the fact that the files have to be imported into SpruceUp after patching them to generate the preview files.

The purpose of adding chapters is to enable quick access to any specific portion of the disc instead of trying to fast forward from the very beginning. This is extremely helpful if your drive doesn't have a memory that remembers where you left off if you happen to swap discs somewhere in the middle of the DVD. Some drives do not fast forward very well with TyDVDs and will only advance the disc at about 2X speed, even though the player may have multiple FF settings. This may not be as much of an issue with current players but it was definitely a problem with most older models. You can wait for quite a while to get back to a point 60 minutes or more into the movie. I also insert chapters at the end of each commercial break to allow me to skip right past the commercial using the chapter skip button on the remote. It's a heck of a lot faster than editing commercials and there are no audio sync problems or freezeups as a result. Setting up chapters using IfoEdit just plain sucks.

The menu system can be as simple or as complex as you want it to be. I just put in a splash screen with the title and a start button. This allows me to start the movie when I choose and not have it autostart upon insertion. The start button is linked to the start of the movie so I don't have to fast forward past the 30-second intro that DTV inserts prior to every PPV.

I have used both SpruceUp and IfoEdit and IfoEdit is only marginally faster. Whether it is desirable to have menus or chapter stops is a matter of personal preference. I archive several TV series and the menus and chapters allows me to skip commercials without editing and also provides direct access to individual episodes on a multi-episode disc (this is something that IfoEdit cannot do). I can author a movie, with menu, title, and chapter stops, in about 10-15 minutes. This includes having to patch and import the file. Patching takes less time than it took me to type this sentence. Total time depends on the size of the file. The actual time involved with setting up menus, titles, buttons, and chapter stops (at 10-minute intervals) takes me under two minutes to accomplish.

DVD authoring methods are getting to be a matter of personal preference. I'm seeing extremely complex procedures that take a lot of time and effort to accomplish, yet don't produce results that are any better than what I can do in SpruceUp. I'm not trying to dissuade anyone from using IfoEdit as it does have it's uses and I know a lot of people prefer it for no muss, no fuss authoring. Aside from the obvious extra features that SpruceUp offers, it can do exactly the same thing that IfoEdit can when authoring a DVD (i.e. you can bypass the menus and just have it autostart like IfoEdit). The only difference is in the extra time it takes to generate the preview files. I just start the import process and go in the other room and watch TV while it's doing its thing. I can author an entire movie in less time than it takes for a commercial break.

All I know is, I've been using SpruceUp for about 8-10 months. I've tried other methods but I end up going back to SpruceUp because, even though its basic software, it is still a complete package. It does more than any other program I've seen so far with the least amount of effort.

spinxter
03-05-2003, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by riekl

In reality Ifoedit just makes your extractions much like a VHS tape .. how did you get to the 4th show on a VHS tape ? Fastforward =)

Exactly! And that was annoying as hell. That's why we are putting them on DVD in the first place.

riekl
03-05-2003, 10:03 AM
Ok ok ok :)

You win .. I will concede the SpruceUp method is easier and likely better for episode archives.

I would still use Ifoedit for any movie conversions .. I have used SpruceUp .. and it is just annoying to have that extra wasted time in there. With Ifoedit i open, click dvd author, click the video file, click the audio file, click go, and poof thats it. Stress free muxing :) SpruceUp _IS_ a good program ... i have it and use it for any special work i do that i actual want to make menus for which is fairly rare, DVD Maestro is no better .. have to import everything before you can even start to patch it together.

I'm not much of a rerun kind of guy so i didn't really consider archiving episodes in my original comment.

03-05-2003, 10:36 AM
You may also be able to fit 2 movies on a DVD. Certainly could use a menu.

Fugg
03-05-2003, 10:36 AM
Naaaa.... Considering what we can do, I believe we've all won!!

There are quite a few methods avaiable today to get content on the media we choose. Different methods work better for different jobs, that's all.

The beauty part is we have a choice!!!

And dang it,

They all work pretty damn good!!!!!

Just keep in mind that what may be garbage to you could be that "couldn't do without" feature to others.

and i don't care what you say, chevy's better than ford!
;)

ronnythunder
03-05-2003, 01:32 PM
unless i/m confused... ifoedit 0.96b will make chapter stops at the beginning of each stream you import. i just made a dvd with mib and yaya sisterhood and chapter 1 is mib and 2 is yaya.

i've also found that ifoedit is very forgiving of marginally compliant video; dvd movie factory won't import some stuff, complaining that it's not compliant.

ronny

Pr.Sinister
03-05-2003, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by ronnythunder
unless i/m confused... ifoedit 0.96b will make chapter stops at the beginning of each stream you import. i just made a dvd with mib and yaya sisterhood and chapter 1 is mib and 2 is yaya.

i've also found that ifoedit is very forgiving of marginally compliant video; dvd movie factory won't import some stuff, complaining that it's not compliant.

ronny

You're archiving Ya-Ya Sisterhood? I wouldn't yell that too loud now!

:D

captain_video
03-05-2003, 02:44 PM
You win ..

Wasn't trying to make it a contest. Both SpruceUp and IfoEdit have their advantages and disadvantages. I was only making a point about the strong points of SpruceUp vs. IfoEdit. It was only a vehicle for expressing my opinion and nothing more.

i've also found that ifoedit is very forgiving of marginally compliant video

I have to agree with that statement. I have found that some problematic tystreams will import into IfoEdit without a problem when SpruceUp wouldn't accept them. Since I've been using tydemux (with Tytool5) and the latest version of Tytool6r2, importing tystreams with errors no longer presents a problem.

Considering what we can do, I believe we've all won!!

Another statement with which I am in full agreement. There is no one single method that is more "right" than any other, although some methods are definitely better suited for a specific task than others. That's the beauty of this hobby. The more people that get involved with it results in more ways of enjoying it. I wouldn't dream of trying to limit extraction and authoring to a single method. I welcome the diversity with open arms.