PDA

View Full Version : DVD Authoring / Editing Software

Y2JProd
03-06-2003, 12:15 AM
I have a (hopefully) quick question of DVD Authoring and Editing software. I have seen several posts here with people using different programs, but what I am looking for is if there is an alternative to TMPGEnc that will allow me to use the split TyTool output to edit the video (i.e. trim the beginning and end) as well as crop the video so that it can be authored into a DVD (or encoded in a 720x480 mpeg that can be used to create a DVD).

Unfortuantely I have not been able to find any answers to this one.

TIA...

captain_video
03-06-2003, 09:37 AM
There is another method but it still involves using TMPGEnc (for demuxing, not editing).

1) Patch and import the m2v and m2a files into SpruceUp or DVD Maestro. Repatch back to the original resolution after generating the preview files and then import them again.

2) Mark chapter points at the beginning and end of each segment you wish to cut out. Make sure you keep a short segment at the beginning of the file to retain the header info (a 1-second segment is adequate).

3) Compile and write the project to a title set.

4) Open up the large VOB file in SmartRipper. Check all of the chapters you wish to keep and re-rip the VOB file.

5) Perform a simple demux of the re-ripped VOB file using TMPGEnc. This yields separate audio and video files sans commercials or unwanted segments.

6) Author the files from scratch using whichever method suits you.

Y2JProd
03-06-2003, 01:20 PM
Thanks for the information. I will give this a try and see how this works. The main problem that I am having is that I need to trim the beginning and the end of the clip as well as crop the video a bit as there is a small black bar on the left hand side.

What I am hoping I can do is use your method, then when I demux the ripped video and audio, re-encode the video with the cropping then use mplex on the re-encoded video and audio and use that final mpg to create the actual DVD.

I do have one question regarding the following:

Originally posted by captain_video
1) Patch and import the m2v and m2a files into SpruceUp or DVD Maestro. Repatch back to the original resolution after generating the preview files and then import them again.

What are your recommendations for the patching? I know I should change the resolution to 720x480 but what about the sample rate? I have read several threads with several different responses, but since this has worked for you, I just wanted to know what settings you used as I am hoping this will solve my problem as well.

captain_video
03-06-2003, 05:01 PM
If you're using SpruceUp the sample rate doesn't seem to make any difference. I've tried all three settings and all of them work fine. It only seems to be an issue with some of the Ulead software.

Y2JProd
03-07-2003, 12:30 AM
I tried your method and made some progress but I have run into a problem that I haven't been able to figure out yet.

When I try to load the VOB file into TMPGEnc to demultiplex the video and audio it does not recognize the audio stream. Using the regular demultiplex shows it as a private stream, but when extracting it, it is just garbage data.

Any idea why this may be occuring? Perhaps some setting in smartripper that I am overlooking?

Thanks for the help...

Y2JProd
03-07-2003, 09:06 PM
I was able to get around the audio problem. I originally converyed to tydemux audio to ac3 using BeSweet. I tried this again but converting the audio to mp2 using BeSweet and TMPGEnc was able to demux the audio and video.

Interesting thing though, that SpruceUp and DVDMaestro would not load the demuxed audio file. I also tried loading it back into TMPGEnc and it caused it to crash. Running BeSweet on it again fixed that problem and I know have succesfully authored a DVD!

Thanks again for the suggestions as this was the only method that I was able to get work and the results are really good!