PDA

View Full Version : DVD-RW Problems

Tiros
03-07-2003, 01:03 PM
Just got the Pio A05. Got a sample 2x DVD-RW with the drive, and bought some Optodisk DVD-RW. After I burn the only drive that can read the disk is the PioA05. My Sampo631CF says no disk, Xbox can't read it, and my Toshiba DVD (in my PC) can't read it (it just chews on it forever). Both medias (pio and opto) produce the same results. Burning to DVD-R, the same settings produce workable disks. I tried to make a direct DVD with Roxio, it works but again only in the Pio Drive. Everybody says the Sampo can read -RW.

The only drive that can read the -RW is the one that wrote it (the A05)!!

What could be wrong?

Thanks

chadbear
03-07-2003, 01:58 PM
dvd-rw and +rw both have a lot of issues with drives reading them. There are MANY drives that just don't read them at all. That could very well be your issue.

artships
03-07-2003, 02:01 PM
My A*mumble* read-anything DVD player wouldn't read my DVD-RW unless I authored a menu onto it. Have you tried that?

Tiros
03-07-2003, 02:09 PM
Art,

I used the same file and burning SW on -R works fine, on-RW nogo. I will try to add a menu to see if that helps.

Chad,
It seems like everybody else can use -RW. I just hope there isn't something wrong with my burner...
The pio media (included) was 2x rated, optodisk 1x
Could it be the media?

captain_video
03-07-2003, 02:35 PM
You might want to try using Nero (get a version prior to 5.5.10.X as it appears to be somwehat buggy with DVD burners; any of the 5.5.9.X versions should work fine). The DVD version of Roxio is brand new and it sounds like it may have some bugs with DVD recordable discs. It could also be the mode you're recording the discs with. Depending on which authoring software you used you should burn the DVD with Nero using either UDF/ISO or DVD Video modes. Since you're using rewritables try both methods and see which one works with your player. I haven yet to find a Toshiba that will read DVD-R or -RW discs but I'm sure the latest models are fully compatible. My older Toshiba didn't even recognize a DVD-R or -RW disc. I had a couple of DVD-ROM drives that wouldn't read them either.