PDA

View Full Version : Ty Player?



jjjones
03-07-2003, 08:17 PM
Has anyone given any thought to a Ty player or codec. It would certainly simplify archiving. Is much known about Ty files? (The search feature is useless here since "ty" is less than the three letter minimum for a search term.)

jj

BubbleLamp
03-07-2003, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by jjjones
Has anyone given any thought to a Ty player or codec. It would certainly simplify archiving. Is much known about Ty files? (The search feature is useless here since "ty" is less than the three letter minimum for a search term.)

jj

The question has been asked before, and I think the quick answer was, not likely any time soon.

AlphaWolf
03-07-2003, 08:48 PM
Everything we need to know about doing this is available, but why when you can convert it directly to a widely used format?

jjjones
03-07-2003, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by AlphaWolf
Everything we need to know about doing this is available, but why when you can convert it directly to a widely used format?


A ty player takes the need for mpeg conversion out of the process. I have had sync problems when muxing and as a result I am holding onto ty files and waiting for better and simpler conversion tools. A ty player would let me play these files.


More to the point. Wouldn't you like the simplicity of being able to pop a DVD of native ty files into media player and just play?

jj

BubbleLamp
03-08-2003, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by jjjones
A ty player takes the need for mpeg conversion out of the process. I have had sync problems when muxing and as a result I am holding onto ty files and waiting for better and simpler conversion tools. A ty player would let me play these files.


More to the point. Wouldn't you like the simplicity of being able to pop a DVD of native ty files into media player and just play?

jj

No, I like to watch TV on a TV. Computers make shitty TV's, and vice versa. There's a reason the "convergence" keeps failing.

spinxter
03-08-2003, 02:28 PM
I would like to have a ty player simply for troubleshooting purposes. Sometimes I will extract a ty, then mux it, and it is corrupt. Now, without a ty player there is no way for me to tell if something went wrong during the muxing, or if my ty is bad. Being able to view the ty from the PC would help me hunt down problems much faster.

And before anyone tells me that if I want it so bad I should make it myself... I know nothing about Linux or CODECS or programming or compiling or anything else. I have NO skills when it comes to this. If I knew how to build it, I would. Believe me. Before I started hacking my TiVo I couldn't tell you one single Linux command. Now I know quite a few. But my experience goes no further than running commands on my box.

pawl
03-08-2003, 09:17 PM
I'm hesitant to post that I'm working on this because there's a good chance I won't finish(I get sidetracked easily ;) ), but this is indeed my current project.

As for those questioning the utility of it, I have an HTPC, and my wife records a million things on tivo. If I could just dump the ty's on there I'd be pretty happy.

AlphaWolf
03-09-2003, 10:13 PM
While there is no codec, one of the components of a future version of tystudio will allow you to stream the videos to your PC and watch them in real-time.

spinxter
03-09-2003, 10:21 PM
When can we expect this? I know nothing of Tystudio, but this sounds like a good feature.

jjjones
03-09-2003, 11:04 PM
A Ty Player would also be a useful tool in some of the networking configurations under discussion.

TyStudio sounds great.

Now if only I could do a header trick to fool my DVD player to play DivX encoding . . .

jj

Mbarr
03-13-2003, 03:51 PM
Somehow, I doubt this will ever happen. DIVX is MPEG-4. DVD is MPEG-2. If the player doesn't do MPEG-4, it's not going to. it's a hardware thing, and such. headers are good for svcd vs dvd, etc... but not differnt codecs.

Also, as for the ty player, the conversion to mpeg seems to clean up a bunch of stuff. since ty is dead end format, from a editing & compatability standpoint, i doubt anyone is going to do a massive amount of work on the player. that being said, it might be possible to ty e in tystudio or vsplit into a player, and make it work.... maybe just save the space of converting the file...

lmurray
03-13-2003, 07:02 PM
i have a ty player, it's call TIVO.

-lloyd-

Frogbutt
03-13-2003, 10:00 PM
I put all my shows on my htpc also so a ty player would make things easier. Today I extracted about 50 shows so being able to just watch them would be nice instead of having to convert all of them.

MrBassMan
03-13-2003, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by Mbarr
Somehow, I doubt this will ever happen. DIVX is MPEG-4. DVD is MPEG-2. If the player doesn't do MPEG-4, it's not going to. it's a hardware thing, and such. headers are good for svcd vs dvd, etc... but not differnt codecs.

Also, as for the ty player, the conversion to mpeg seems to clean up a bunch of stuff. since ty is dead end format, from a editing & compatability standpoint, i doubt anyone is going to do a massive amount of work on the player. that being said, it might be possible to ty e in tystudio or vsplit into a player, and make it work.... maybe just save the space of converting the file...

tyStudio is totally stream based so the only space it uses on your disk is to output the mpg file. We eventually plan to replace the write to disk bit with a write to player. This gives you the tyPlayer capabilities you are after with NO disk overhead.

Neutronflux
03-14-2003, 03:29 PM
MrBassMan -- ok, I'm not psychic or anything, I wish I were. But I get the distinct feeling that you writing the word SOON <--- with capitals like that to indicate that release is imminent? I hope you aren't messing with us!

Man, it's like an easter egg hunt when I was a kid! I can't contain my excitement!

Mbarr
03-14-2003, 03:45 PM
Well.. they've been saying the release date was

October 32...


so, everything is relative.

However, every time i get notification that the thread has been updated, I rush to check if it's been released :-)


So... who can tell.. but MrBassMan is in the know.. and I can't wait to see it..

AlphaWolf
03-14-2003, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by Neutronflux
MrBassMan -- ok, I'm not psychic or anything, I wish I were. But I get the distinct feeling that you writing the word SOON <--- with capitals like that to indicate that release is imminent? I hope you aren't messing with us!

Man, it's like an easter egg hunt when I was a kid! I can't contain my excitement!

Very imminent, the 82th of octember isn't that far away.

MrBassMan
03-14-2003, 04:16 PM
Just to clear up some inaccuracies:

The official date was the 32nd of Octember.


Which is now VERY SOON.