PDA

View Full Version : Choppy SVCD Video - Pioneer DVD Player

Neutronflux
03-07-2003, 10:51 PM
I have a Pioneer 353-S DVD Player which plays almost everything I have thrown into it. When I dump video from my T60 using Tytool 6rx -- GOP Cut -- MUX and then REMUX using TMPEGenc [Simple Multiplex] -- (Thanks Bubblelamp for the heads up on that) I can produce a SVCD which works in the DVD Player.

However, there are points in the playback where the Audio and Video become amazingly choppy. I've repatched the header to 480X480 and 3.5 Mbit in all instances - however, the choppyness is still there. Is there something that I should be doing which I'm not? Or is it just that the bitrate it too large for the player to run it properly off of a SVCD?

Any ideas or comments would be much appreciated!

jjjones
03-07-2003, 10:59 PM
I think you need to repatch back to 480 x 480 x 15Mbit.

How many SVCD minutes can you fit onto a 70 min cd?

jj

Neutronflux
03-08-2003, 01:09 PM
Do you mean I should repatch the HEADER only back to 15Mbit? I can fit about 45 to 50 Minutes of Video on the SVCD depending on the Show. I can put all of smallville onto one SVCD without the commercials = but one episode of the shield is too large to fit.

Pr.Sinister
03-08-2003, 01:31 PM
When you muxed in TyTool and Remuxed in TMPGEnc, did you
mux to MPEG2 SVCD or just MPEG2 Program Stream?

It's super choppy for me if i don't mux to SVCD but super smooth
if i do.

-Pr.

Neutronflux
03-08-2003, 08:02 PM
Pr. -- I am not sure, which means basically that that's probably the booboo causing the choppiness. I'll check that out. Thanks for the expertise, it's much appreciated.

Also - nice to see other Montreal boys on the forum!
too bad the Habs suck so much this season

Neutronflux
03-08-2003, 08:37 PM
Hey Pr. back from the front -- you were bang on - but I have a NEW PROBLEM -- the voices sound LOW -- I patched the Header to 15Mbit -- is that the problem? Should I use 3.5 Instead?

Thanks again!

Neutronflux
03-08-2003, 09:08 PM
ok, update - I patched the header to 3.5 Mbit [480X480] but I still get the low voices and audio. Like guttural low -- very strange. So it has nothing to do with the Mbit Size - so this leaves the 48khz audio maybe?

hmmm

Neutronflux
03-08-2003, 09:16 PM
Sorry for the flurry of posts -- it seems as though I spoke too soon.

I took my mpeg -- did a simple [SVCD] remux in MpegEnc --- Patched the header to 3.5 and 480X480 -- but it's still choppy [in parts] and the audio is LOW -- like guttural as I mentioned above. This is definitely strange. Any ideas?

Pr.Sinister
03-09-2003, 01:25 PM
Well i never patched the header if i was going to SVCD. I only
patched the header when going to DVD so i don' think that's
your problem. Here's what i used to do :

- Extract Ty
- Create Key File
- GopEdit
- Mux and Cut to SVCD
- Rename .m2v to .mpg, delete .m2a
- Use TMPGEnc Simple Mux with the .mpg as source for both audio and video. Simple Mux to new file, and to MPEG2-SVCD
- Load up Nero and create a new SVCD
- Turn off compliance
- Drag and drop my file
- Burn

That always worked for me. Maybe try a diferent ty stream.
Maybe that one has some sort of low audio glitch in it.

-Pr.

Neutronflux
03-09-2003, 02:14 PM
hey Pr, I know that you said if you used MPEG2-Program it Fxed up your player, but it seems that SVCD option doesn't work as well on mine as it does for you... you might be right about the stream. [The Shield - Co-Pilot Episode]. It seems that the bitrate on this show is higher than usual.

I am going to try the MPEG2-Program option and see how it goes. I've been making a pile of coasters, might as well keep it up!

Thanks for the how to - I do exactly the same thing right now, but I think I might have to tweak it a bit for my particular player. What dvd player do you have? Sony 715? I heard they're great!

laserfan
03-09-2003, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by Neutronflux
...What dvd player do you have? Sony 715? I heard they're great! I have the 655, which is the multi-disc version of the 715, and while it is a very nice player, it does require pretty much "on spec" discs. For example, SVCDs will indeed stutter if the bitrate goes much over spec (IIRC 2600kbps or something) and it also insists on to-spec audio, which I think for SVCD might be 44.1kHz? Sorry I'm blanking right now.

But the audio of the SA Tivo (32kHz) is indeed a problem with the Sony for all of VCD, SVCD, and DVD.