PDA

View Full Version : just got HDVR2 unit with 3.1.0-01-2-151

yellaboyla
03-08-2003, 09:58 AM
I am a newbie, and have been reading alot. I would be willing to share this image. This image has not been plugged into phone line or activated.

I just plugged into sat, get previews...now i am ready to hack..

1. would like to use my HU card in unit

2. Dont care about increasing storage space at this time

3. want to enable usb ethernet since I am networked

4. i have created both boot cds......

5. any other fun stuff u guys know of.

So if u help me, i will share....

"i will share anyways!!"

I can post image to FTP or share it out .....thx

yellaboyla
03-11-2003, 11:11 PM
Got HDVR2 from ebay for 175.00..came with everything but P4 card.

Finally got U5 image. Backed up my original config with MFStools 2.0.

Pulled extra 100gig WD 100gig drive from my server.

Getting ready to take my first shot at upgrading..

wish me luck!

ghstrdr5
03-11-2003, 11:45 PM
Good Luck, let us know how it goes, what hacks are you going to try?

yellaboyla
03-12-2003, 08:10 AM
Well this is what I'd like to do;

1. usb ethernet-buying adaptor today
2. video transfer to my pc to make dvds
3. have unit work with subbed P-3 card instead of buying a P-4 from DirectTV
4. and few other secret tweaks once I figure out how to do um!

Anybody can tell me how to make a U5 image allow a P-3 insertion?

yellaboyla
03-12-2003, 09:34 AM
Got U5 image expanded.
The new message says 'New estimated standalone size: 102 hours (63 more) success!! :)

Since I have this drive in a Linux amchine, I will go ahead a work on a few things. Won't get a chance to test it tell lunch. :mad:

mrblack51
03-12-2003, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by yellaboyla
Anybody can tell me how to make a U5 image allow a P-3 insertion?

Since this is not a DTV hacking board, you will not find explicit instructions regarding this. There has been plenty of information & hints posted about how to figure out what file the check is located in, and how to bypass it.

good luck

yellaboyla
03-12-2003, 11:10 AM
thx Mr.Black I will search.

I now have everything done to get BASH.

How do I edit in order to keep my software REV. level at U5?

I know its update=false,but where and how?? thx

yellaboyla
03-12-2003, 02:14 PM
well installed drive at lunch..no time to check if I had Bash....

Did get a hardware error message, so I did the 'clean and reset'

I figured its because I installed the bigger drive.>???

said it would take 1 hour

mrblack51
03-12-2003, 02:53 PM
if you install a drive from another dtivo, you have to do a clear and delete everything to 'marry' it to your unit. this prevents swapping shows by swapping hard disks

yellaboyla
03-12-2003, 03:00 PM
nope, this drive came from a pc.........just had it extra.
remember this is my first attempt!

yellaboyla
03-12-2003, 06:50 PM
now I am having signal strength problems

when I first put drive in was getting 90's on trans1

then it locked up

i rebooted and can't get any signal up to trans11. then 11-15 are about 99, and they drop off again...

any clues?? thx

yellaboyla
03-12-2003, 07:03 PM
ok, some type of cable problem in my office.

brought it upfront and got 98's from 1-32!

unit is functional. now time to build a cable or run to CompUSA for usb ethernet.

Have BBall game at 9:00, so will post my decision then

yellaboyla
03-14-2003, 07:51 AM
Bought Linksys USB adaptor last nite. Will hookup when I get home. Will advise...

ps..my svr-2000 came in last nite. I have been searching on that 1 too. the info on getting into these units is soooo hush hush.

Nobody put together a definate 'how to' to get into these units. I know some stuff is taboo, but I am a tester, and like toplay. I want the full abilities to be released, then let it be my option if I want to do anything in a grey area.

I owna website, and I and going to put an area where this topic can be more openly discussed. If interested in posting something, let me know....

mrblack51
03-14-2003, 11:16 AM
the BASH_ENV hack is the same for all s2 units. the main difference is the version numbers which can be hacked. 3.1.U5 is the only version of HDVR2 stuff that I know works, stuff below 3.2 for the SA s2 units is supposed to work as well.

yellaboyla
03-14-2003, 01:29 PM
makes sense. I will check my sw when i get home on the svr-2000...

citivolus
03-14-2003, 02:50 PM
sorry for the newbie questions, but I've done a lot of reading and wanted to confirm my understanding:

1) if I apply the BASH hack to a U5 version on the HDVR2, and set the updatesoftware=false boot param, will it still get over-written by a software update? I know that sounds obvious, but I think I read about people's experiences where this setting didn't do what it implies.

2) if I do the above, and I buy a Belkin USB ethernet adapter and apply the right hack to enable the USB ports, can I get the Tivo to get an IP address via DHCP? is the Belkin the best/cheapest adapter for this purpose?

3) if I do #1 and #2, can I set up the associated apps to copy video files to my pc for archival to DVD's?

4) what apps would I need for #3?

5) I think I read that DTivo's have scrambling turned on by default. does this apply to the HDVR2?

thanks!

yellaboyla
03-14-2003, 03:04 PM
u sound like me! check your pm messages too

I will be working on this tonite and tomarrow. I will try and step through the process since this is my first. Yup u have to turn updates to false and we should be safe... I have my adaptor and will install

mrblack51
03-14-2003, 03:18 PM
1) if I apply the BASH hack to a U5 version on the HDVR2, and set the updatesoftware=false boot param, will it still get over-written by a software update? I know that sounds obvious, but I think I read about people's experiences where this setting didn't do what it implies.

If your really want to be sure you dont get an update, modify your rc.sysinit, and remove the scripts which are used to install software.

2) if I do the above, and I buy a Belkin USB ethernet adapter and apply the right hack to enable the USB ports, can I get the Tivo to get an IP address via DHCP? is the Belkin the best/cheapest adapter for this purpose?

i have no idea about belkins. the link in my hacking thread has info on which usb ethernet adapters work. DHCP is what the tivo will use if you dont use my manual ifconfig line from the hackinit that i posted. however, DHCP is kinda dumb since its good to be able to manually set your tivos address, since most of the reason for having ethernet is getting telnet/ftp/tivoweb/extraction access.

3) if I do #1 and #2, can I set up the associated apps to copy video files to my pc for archival to DVD's?

yes.

4) what apps would I need for #3?

Check the tivo extraction forum.

5) I think I read that DTivo's have scrambling turned on by default. does this apply to the HDVR2?

yes. there is a noscramble method for the HDVR2 running 3.1.U5, easy to search for.

yellaboyla
03-15-2003, 12:03 PM
can't get BASH rite now......TiVO boots fine and all, but just no bash. 2nd shot, reimaged and tried again.

will give it another in abit. wish me luck

FastEddieG
03-16-2003, 08:57 PM
I am a newbie, and have been reading alot. I would be willing to share this image. This image has not been plugged into phone line or activated.

I just plugged into sat, get previews...now i am ready to hack..

1. would like to use my HU card in unit

2. Dont care about increasing storage space at this time

3. want to enable usb ethernet since I am networked

4. i have created both boot cds......

5. any other fun stuff u guys know of.

I am also a newbie that just bought a used HDVR2 which has 3.1.U5 on it. I am amazed at the community and how hard all of you work and contribute. I hope to be able to do the same some day, but first I have to learn what comprises this beast we all know and love. I did not want to start a new thread since I am in a similar situation, except with 3.1.U5.

I am currently backing up the drive now. I will be copying it to another drive to put in the HDVR2 and then begin to play around.

I would like to do all of what yellaboyla posted above also. Especially to be able to use the P3/HU.

Any tips or just some sense of direction in the right areas would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks!
-Ed

mrblack51
03-16-2003, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by FastEddieG
I would like to do all of what yellaboyla posted above also. Especially to be able to use the P3/HU.

Any tips or just some sense of direction in the right areas would be greatly appreciated :)

no offense, but i am getting really sick of seeing every other post related to the hdvr2 be a question about getting a p3 working on it. The bottom line is that yes, it can be done. the bottom line is that no, the full instructions to do it will not be posted here since dtv hacking is not allowed. the bottom line is that yes, hints regarding how to do this are available in the series 2 forum in a number of places.

not trying to be rude, but what needs to be done to make it clear that the question is not appropriate here, and that the posted hints are as far as stuff should be taken? im sure the answer is that nothing will work...

FastEddieG
03-16-2003, 11:09 PM
I have been searching 5 sites/forums for a few weeks now. I am trying to use a HU to activate for my new HDVR2 that I already have instead of paying DirecTV $20 + shipping for them to send me a P4. If I activate the HU, then they have to send me a replacement P4 when the time comes, at no cost to me. I was not aware that the preceeding was classified as trying to hack DirecTV, or considered "directv hacking."

Especially since it is the TIVO itself I want to modify to allow it to read a HU.

But I digress. Thanks for your comments, and I understand your frustration. Believe me :)

-Ed

BubbleLamp
03-17-2003, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by FastEddieG
I have been searching 5 sites/forums for a few weeks now. I am trying to use a HU to activate for my new HDVR2 that I already have instead of paying DirecTV $20 + shipping for them to send me a P4. If I activate the HU, then they have to send me a replacement P4 when the time comes, at no cost to me. I was not aware that the preceeding was classified as trying to hack DirecTV, or considered "directv hacking."

Especially since it is the TIVO itself I want to modify to allow it to read a HU.

But I digress. Thanks for your comments, and I understand your frustration. Believe me :)

-Ed

They won't let you activate an HU on it in the first place, so the point is moot, since it won't work. So if you are BS'ing us, nice try.

Just tell them to send you the P4, since it is required by them for the DTivo. If they say anything about charging you, tell them you'll switch to DISH instead.

yellaboyla
03-17-2003, 12:10 AM
Well in reality, allowing a hu card to work in a HDVR2 is hacking the DTV system and not the TiVO system. The DTV part gives u the invalid card message.

Mr. Black has been generous with his tips on this process, but the powers that be have tied his hands from speaking of this.

Do I aggree that the info should be so taboo?? nope...

I think if someone wants to use a subbed card in a receiver then why not let them.

In essense DTV is forcing us to buy thier new card when we have a working card.

Right now, I care more about learning to get bash, and ethernet than getting an HU operational. I am learning Linux, but I am a dos GURU.

One step at a time!

FastEddieG
03-17-2003, 01:00 AM
yellaboyla

I can see both sides of "is it Tivo or DirecTV" hacking. And I can respect that it is considered Dtv hacking and thus not allowed :) I've read many of MrBlack's posts and do appreciate him (and everyone else) taking the time to post his results and findings, and generally contributing to enhancing the tivo experience.

My big beef for using the HU is I am just sick of DTV's price increases for the programming and the NFL Sunday Ticket Package. And last time I argued and argued with a DirecTV csr to get a P4 for free for my 3nd receiver and I was still charged $20 + shipping. Threats to switch to DISH don't work as I am under contract for another 6 months.

Nevertheless, BACK ON TOPIC :)

I am in the same boat as you, except I use several FreeBSD systems daily so I feel right at home with Linux. I just got finished backing up my HDVR2 drive and mfsrestore'd the backup to a new drive.. and I basically followed Ingineer's BASH upgrade, as well as the USB ethernet and telnet upgrades also found in that thread. I popped the new/edited drive back in my HDVR2 and it booted up fine and reflected the increase in space/recording hours, but I have no way to check to see if the BASH/Ethernet/Telnet hacks worked until the serial cable and the Belkin USB Ethernet adapter come in.

I'll post my results when they do, and you please do the same.

Thanks again for everyone's posts.
-Ed

yellaboyla
03-17-2003, 08:26 AM
ok, for anyone following my bumpy ride, this is where I am;

1. Bought HDVR2 unit
2. Downloaded U5 image
3. Followed Hindales guide and installed WD 100gig-7200 rpm HDD
4. Combo of Mr.Black51 and Ingineers guides to getting Bash. I am getting some data into Hyperterm, but still no Bash-ver close!!
5. Bought usb ethernet Lynksys

botcher
03-17-2003, 04:20 PM
Any suggestions on how to get to the MFS files which need tweaking to reach our goals? I have my bash prompt working, but my limited knowledge of Unix commands playing with my Series 1 box is handicapping me in progressing with the series 2 HDVR2....

I tried to find the files mentioned earlier on other posts which need to have the valid ranges modified, but can't seem to locate them using commands such as those I have used in the past.

What tools should I be using to locate these "State" files? Any suggestions as how to access them, and what tools to use to modify them????

I am a quick learner. I just need to know where to go to obtain the additional knowledge.

Thanks,
Botcher

yellaboyla
03-17-2003, 04:35 PM
What is your goal??

My goals are;

1. Get Bash, telnet

2. Get EThernet

3. Allow unit to take guide data over internet

4. open PPV and locals

5. Allow hu to work in series 2(the info is out there. I have read a ton, and know what to look for. This hobby ain't for the lazy!!)

mrblack51
03-17-2003, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by botcher
Any suggestions on how to get to the MFS files which need tweaking to reach our goals? I have my bash prompt working, but my limited knowledge of Unix commands playing with my Series 1 box is handicapping me in progressing with the series 2 HDVR2....

I tried to find the files mentioned earlier on other posts which need to have the valid ranges modified, but can't seem to locate them using commands such as those I have used in the past.

What tools should I be using to locate these "State" files? Any suggestions as how to access them, and what tools to use to modify them????

as far as the mfs, the s2 and s1 are identical. the only differences in the tivo software itself (mfs, myworld) are in the different software versions like 3.1, 2.5, 2.5.2, etc. Of course, the executables have been compiled for the proper platform, but most of the commands at bash are identical if you have properly gotten into your unit.

citivolus
03-18-2003, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by mrblack51
as far as the mfs, the s2 and s1 are identical. the only differences in the tivo software itself (mfs, myworld) are in the different software versions like 3.1, 2.5, 2.5.2, etc. Of course, the executables have been compiled for the proper platform, but most of the commands at bash are identical if you have properly gotten into your unit.

that's what I imagined too, but then I can't understand why demux tools for ty files on the HDVR2 don't seem to work properly (creating out of synch a/v) yet seem fine on the Series1's. I would have thought the format of the streams in the tyfiles is identical between the two.

mrblack51
03-18-2003, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by citivolus
that's what I imagined too, but then I can't understand why demux tools for ty files on the HDVR2 don't seem to work properly (creating out of synch a/v) yet seem fine on the Series1's. I would have thought the format of the streams in the tyfiles is identical between the two.

the extraction tools work properly according to the people like olaf_sc and jdiner, who have examined streams that i have extracted (both unscrambled and scrambled). The scrambled streams were gibberish, the unscrambled ones were standard files.

However, the processing tools won't work out of the box with s2 streams because they are a slightly different format. at least one part of the reason is that s2 units have removed the IBM cs22 chip, in favor of using software decoding.

yellaboyla
03-19-2003, 01:40 PM
quick update.............

Got Bash running solid.....:)

Having ethernet problems.......:mad:

have bash on my original 35gig but not new 100gig

get previews with virgin P-4 card. menu seems a bit slow??

mrblack51
03-19-2003, 02:25 PM
menu seems a bit slow??

menus are a bit slower in certain places compared to an SA unit. basically, they sped up the menus in 3.x over what we had in 2.5. it seems like they did this by moving certain operations to different times, so the guide is faster, but certain menu operations are slower. just a fact of life.

yellaboyla
03-19-2003, 02:47 PM
thx.......

yellaboyla
05-19-2003, 02:33 PM
Well update time. I kept a low profile because too many were asking about hu hack for HDVR2 and I did not want to see a lawsuit!!

Got bash, that's obvious

usb working, ftp, telnet, etc

Receiver can use any access card. if that matters

privacy fix for sub working

and a few other goodies

all this stuff was pretty easy to do.. YEA RIGHT

Thx to Mr. Black, KRavEN, and the rest. its been fun!

The Bad Guy
05-19-2003, 02:36 PM
Yella,

Did you get my PM?

Get back to me when you can..

yellaboyla
05-19-2003, 02:40 PM
check your mail