PDA

View Full Version : What is the best .ty Extraction Method?

lonaman
03-09-2003, 05:08 AM
Forgive me if this question has been asked before, but when I search, I get threads that have hundreds of posts to sift through.

I have noticed that there are multiple ways to extract a .ty file. If all I want is the original .ty file for archiving purposes (and maybe to set-up a .ty file server as has been mentioned in a few posts by others), what is the best (quality and speed) method to extract just the .ty file to your computer from the Tivo?

Thanks in advance.

ronnythunder
03-09-2003, 06:14 AM
depends on what you want to do with it. if you want to possibly reinsert into a tivo again at some point, the tmf format (mfs-ftp) is probably best, but if you want to make cd or dvd, tytool is probably best.

ronny

Fugg
03-16-2003, 10:13 AM
common extraction methods:

MfsStream/Tivoweb - You can set this bugger up as a module for Tivoweb and extract using a regular web browser. Pretty cool and convenient if you don't mind running Tivoweb on your machine. It extracts a ty containing plenty of info to get the video out including a nice content file with show info, etc.

Mfs_ftp - The most complete method to date for pulling a ty plus it extracts as a "tarball" containing all the information on the tivo pertaining to the video. It is the only method to date that will do this, allowing you to create a raw ty, an mpeg file or take the extracted tarball and re-insert it back onto a tivo with all the "now playing" info intact. All of this using a regular ftp client.(pretty cool, eh?)

Tytool - This has got to be the simplest and fastest way to extract videos from a tivo. Quick, simple and easy to set up. It extracts only the info needed to get a mpeg out of the ty, nothing more. It's done using a simple custom client for windows. ...and this sucker is blisteringly fast....;)

btw, there's a new tool comming out soon......:)

I asked my 16 year old neice what you called it when you pour a little of your 40oz out on the ground for all the bro's who have passed, but she could'nt remember. So I'll just be old and raise a toast to our old pal nickhull. remember nickhull?
:D

davids66
03-16-2003, 12:19 PM
lonaman

I was concerned about the accuracy of ty files also using the various methods so I tested the files using the triple interlaced CRC test from the program at
http://www.dexadine.com/advanced.html (demo version is fine)
and the ty files in the one test I performed were identical so I just use Tivoweb since it is so easy. I suggest you do your own test with this program for your own comfort level.

David

xobitx
03-17-2003, 12:28 AM
How do you use tivoweb to extract a recording I cant seem to grasp how to fully get it. I tryed with tytools and its pretty slow takes 45mins for 15mb(1min) test recording and it always bombs out on anything over 25mbs on any recording.

hickory
03-18-2003, 09:17 AM
xobitx,

I don't use Tivoweb for ty extractions so I can't help you with that. But what is your setup for extracting ty files that takes you sooo long? In other words are you running through a router, switch or do you have a crossover cable connected directly to the Tivo? Forty five minutes for a 15 MB file sounds like your using Hyperterminal, LOL.

xobitx
03-18-2003, 01:30 PM
No I have it connected via crossover directly. Here is the process I use to start the transfer.

open teraterm pro
telnet to 192.168.1.101
then at var/hack# I type ./tserver_mfs6
then it starts and says waiting for connection.
I open tytool6r3 and click refresh then select recording and click get, tranfer begins.

I believe this is the correct process for running tytools, right? I'm not sure what the problem is but I am going to get a hub and some new patch cable to see if it may be the cable.

keith721
03-18-2003, 01:59 PM
you can get 4-port or 5-port 10/100 switches for significantly less than $100 these days, and they'll guarantee you full-duplex connectivity. a hub won't cost much less than a switch, and will only cause too many data collisions :( and re-transmissions.

hope this helps... :)

hickory
03-18-2003, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by xobitx
I open tytool6r3 and click refresh then select recording and click get, tranfer begins.

When you open Tytool6r3 go to options and then go down to networking options and click on Double Socket (new)mode and see if that helps. I'm getting about 1.5 MBs per second running mine through a Belkin switch to my pc when I do it this way.

old7
03-18-2003, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by rc3105

*what the heck does st patrick have to do with routers anyway? :D

How do you think he got those snakes out of Ireland? He routed them of course.:) :)

Old7

xobitx
03-18-2003, 03:43 PM
I have already tried Double Socket (new)mode itg help a tiny bit, but still way slow. I have a fealing its my crossover cable. It was always slow transfering to my xbox too. Is the switch still available at BB for $14.95?

BubbleLamp
03-18-2003, 03:53 PM
You guys are bumming me out. Two of my old 8 port switches here cost close to a grand apiece! Sheez, I remember when the 16 port SynOptics ran close to $20K!! Gotta love progress.

keith721
03-18-2003, 06:38 PM
Bubble Lamp:

Notice how I didn't specifically mention one inexpensive brand (LinkSys) of router / switch equipment? I just upgraded from TivoNet (10 Mbit/sec) to TurboNet (100Mbit/sec) and am discovering that I may agree with your (and other folks') opinions regarding LinkSys equipment.

Oh, well, as you said, and I mentioned earlier, "significantly less than $100," you get what you pay for, I guess. :rolleyes: