PDA

View Full Version : Cutting MPEG's to get below the 4.4gig limit

dalntgenius
03-09-2003, 09:50 PM
I have a few sporting events that exceed the 4.4 limit for DVD's. I've tried cutting them with TMPGenc but the audio didn't survive. The only way I've been able to cut them is to transcode them into full DVD 720x480, which of course gets it up to like 9 gigs for a 5 gig show.

Anybody have any tools they would recommend to let me cut my tivo formatted mpegs?

Thanks!

spinxter
03-09-2003, 09:55 PM
Are you using a DTivo? The Cut and Merge part of TMPGEnc doesn't seem to like ac3. Whenever I try to edit something with ac3 I end up with video only. No audio stream at all.

Try de-multiplexing, converting to mp2, re-multiplex, and then edit.

ronnythunder
03-10-2003, 03:31 AM
hmmm.. could you use mfs-ftp to get the ty stream parts seperately, then mux the parts seperately? seems that this would work, because you can do a simple concat on the parts to make a full ty.

does that make sense?

ronny

Hi8
03-10-2003, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by dalntgenius
I have a few sporting events that exceed the 4.4 limit for DVD's. I've tried cutting them with TMPGenc but the audio didn't survive. The only way I've been able to cut them is to transcode them into full DVD 720x480, which of course gets it up to like 9 gigs for a 5 gig show.

Anybody have any tools they would recommend to let me cut my tivo formatted mpegs?

Thanks!

I've run into this in the past, as I use DVD-RW to archive/timeshift from my DTIVO. I often get 3 full length movies on one disc(4.7g) - however once in a great while it exceeds what will fit, >4.5g. I have and use a copy of DVD2ONE which helps condense a DVD-9 to a DVD-5. It re-encodes the entire disc in about 30mins or less. So I've tried this on my TyDVD discs and it works great! Well worth the $ and it is pretty simple and fast. The loss in quality has NOT been detected by these ole' eyes.

EDIT: this process of course is done to the TitleSet folder, prior to burning.

captain_video
03-10-2003, 09:06 AM
The Cut and Merge part of TMPGEnc doesn't seem to like ac3.

I'd be surprised if sporting events are being broadcast in Dolby Digital. Try cutting them with GOPEditor using TyTool6r3. Use TMPGEnc to do a simple re-mux after muxing them in TyTool.

Rather than use mfs-ftp for extraction, you can use the Get Parts option in TyTool to extract only specified FSIDs or you can specify a length for extraction to cut it into smaller segments. Use the ratio of 4198 chunks = 512MB to calculate how large of a segment to extract. Just don't exceed 4.36GB for a single DVD-R or -RW disc or it won't fit on the disc.

jjjones
03-10-2003, 01:06 PM
What is your basic procedure with DVD20NE for Tystreams. I am having truoble getting the program to read TyTool muxed files.

jj

Hi8
03-10-2003, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by jjjones
What is your basic procedure with DVD20NE for Tystreams. I am having truoble getting the program to read TyTool muxed files.

jj

I don't do anything different -> except for that step if the total TitleSet is larger than will fit on a 4.7gig DVD-R(W) (4.36)

extract with TyTool6 - using splitmode

DVDAuthor - with IFOEdit96b1 w/celltimes.txt for chapter breaks

(here's where I would use DVD2ONE if too big)

burn to disc - using Nero DVD Video mode --

play on my Sony 715P