PDA

View Full Version : Tystream Pure?

IdolWild
03-10-2003, 09:15 PM
OK I have my TurboNet, Telnet access, Tytool server and everything else ready to go. I can extract.

I don't, however, have a DVD Burner (yet). I will be getting one soon though. I do have a large empty IDE drive. What I want to know is can I go ahead and pull Tystreams off the TiVo and store them for eventual burning down the road?

I read a lot about varying methods of extraction with varying quality of results. Am I correct in assuming that this is all stuff that is done AFTER the Tystream is pulled from the TiVo, i.e., there is nothing to be done to a Tystream that will get you different quality video, it's what you do WITH the Tystream that will give you different results.

The short of it: am I boxing myself in at all by pulling these streams off and storing them in their original format until I am ready to do something with them?

dlang
03-10-2003, 09:36 PM
as long as they are not scrambled when you pull them off you should be OK.

there were some early versions of tytool that added some garbage in the downloaded stream, but you should be Ok now with any tool.

that being said look at the .tmf or .ty+ formats becouse they include a chunk of XML that holds the episode info, the raw .ty format is just the video.

don't worry about people saying that you need to have it in several parts, it's easy to combine parts if you want a single file or split them apart again if you need seperate parts.

assuming you are useing a dtivo there are no quality settings that you can tweak. if you are useing the stand-alone version then the quality of the .ty will be the quality setting you record on. but in any case the quality will not change based on how you pull it from the tivo, just on how you manipulate it after that.

David Lang

IdolWild
03-10-2003, 09:48 PM
What tools might get me the .tmf or .ty+ formats you spoke of? I use tytool6r3 right now and I don't see extract options for those.

You were correct, this is a DTivo and I've done the permanent hack to disable scrambling...

ronnythunder
03-10-2003, 09:58 PM
look for the mfs-ftp sticky for the tools to get .tmf files.

unless you think that you might want to restore a show back to the tivo, tytool will work just fine, tho

ronny

dlang
03-10-2003, 11:31 PM
I have sucessfully reinserted shows pulled useing jdiner's tools. I just had to split it up into 512M chunks and manually put in the episode info (a little more work, but it did work:))