PDA

View Full Version : TMPGEnc taking 1h40m for 23min episode

DgtHorse
03-11-2003, 12:15 AM
why is TMPGEnc so slow, i have a 2.4Ghz with 512RDram and not quite sure why it takes so long. I use the wizard to load my video and audio file. I have been told that opening the d2v file created when DVD2AVI saves the project but have had no luck "Unrecognized format" even though in the VFPI plugins the DVD2AVI plugin is listed in TMPGEnc. CAn anyone help me to make this process faster??

ronnythunder
03-11-2003, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by DgtHorse
why is TMPGEnc so slow, i have a 2.4Ghz with 512RDram and not quite sure why it takes so long. I use the wizard to load my video and audio file. I have been told that opening the d2v file created when DVD2AVI saves the project but have had no luck "Unrecognized format" even though in the VFPI plugins the DVD2AVI plugin is listed in TMPGEnc. CAn anyone help me to make this process faster?? what function are you doing with tmpgenc? obviously transcoding is involved, whether you intended it or not!

ronny

DgtHorse
03-11-2003, 01:07 AM
hmm...not quite sure what transcoding is?? I am going through the TMPGEnc wizard to create my SVCD compatible mpg.

ronnythunder
03-11-2003, 01:15 AM
transcoding means you are converting the video from one resolution or bitrate to another. if you're making svcd you'll probably have to, but just in case...

can you give more details about your process, the tools and hardware involved? for example, i have a dtivo (combo) with turbonet, and when i'm doing 22-23 minute shows (30 min shows without commercials), i use this chain:

ty -> tytool -> vsplitmux -k -> gopeditor -> vsplitmux -c -m -> dvdpatcher (to 352x480, 3.5mbits) -> ulead movie factory -> dvdpatcher (to 480x480, 15mbits) -> nero

that's to do dvd-r, so of course, yours will be different.

ronny

DgtHorse
03-11-2003, 01:20 AM
i use
ty -> tytool -> vsplitmux -k -> gopeditor -> vsplitmux -c -m -> DVD2AVI (extract audio) -> TMPGEnc SVCD changing bitrate

ronnythunder
03-11-2003, 01:34 AM
hmmm, i'm not that familiar with dvd2avi; the only svcd i've made came already set to burn with nero.

just shooting in the dark here: what happens if you try to use the stream from vsplit directly into tmpgenc? sorry if i'm off base here...

ronny

DgtHorse
03-11-2003, 06:39 AM
i have never tried i always need to cut commercials

chadbear
03-11-2003, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by DgtHorse
i use
ty -> tytool -> vsplitmux -k -> gopeditor -> vsplitmux -c -m -> DVD2AVI (extract audio) -> TMPGEnc SVCD changing bitrate

That process is probably going to take a while. Are you extracting from tytool with svcd pack sizes?

zabs
03-11-2003, 10:46 PM
DGT,
What quality setting are you using?
I most commonly use "motion estimation search" and a Dual Athlon XP 1800 can do a 23 minute show in about 25 minutes.
If you are using "highest quality" it does take considerably longer.

DgtHorse
03-11-2003, 10:54 PM
where do i find this specific setting?? i am running through the wizard.