PDA

View Full Version : Home Media Option hacking

Atrael
03-13-2003, 11:25 AM
Forgive me as a newbie, if this point has been raised. But has anyone tried hacking the software that comes with the Home Media option for Tivo? I would think that it would be easier to change a program that's already configured to send data to the Tivo, than to take drives out, add files, and all the other semi-confusing stuff that is described on this site. Just wondering.

Atrael
03-13-2003, 11:27 AM
Ok, pretend I paid enough attention to the site to see that it hasn't shipped yet.*sigh*. Let me re-phrase my question. Does anyone think that hacking the Home Media might be an easier solution to video extraction than some of the ones here? At this point, I'm considering just trying to find someone on these boards to pay to configure all this stuff.

mrblack51
03-13-2003, 01:56 PM
i kinda doubt it. home media is all about being secure, and only talking to certain other units. our methods are much more open, and its already relatively easy to transport shows from one box to another. just needs a pretty front end or whatever. the home media option will have us beat in that respect.

AlphaWolf
03-13-2003, 04:48 PM
Tivo said something to the effect that each unit in your household that you have subscribed will be given a private key. When shows are transfered between them, they can only be decrypted with that key. Units that you haven't personaly subscribed wont be able to decrypt it of course.

IWantMyDTV
03-14-2003, 01:22 AM
Ever heard of an Xbox?

If the private key is anywhere on the box, it can be found. (and used)

I personally could care less though, since it seems that the DTiVo will never have that update.

tungsten2k
03-20-2003, 04:16 AM
Originally posted by Atrael
For me, anything that requires me to physically take the drive out of my Tivo, and boot from some floppy doesn't sound easy to me.
you might want to just buy a DV camera and point it at your TV screen :D

Atrael
03-20-2003, 11:57 AM
you might want to just buy a DV camera and point it at your TV screen

Actually, I have a video capture card in my computer that's right next to my reciever. I just like a lot of the featurs that Tivo has, so I'd rather use it to grab the video, extract to my computer, then burn to DVD for archiving.

Fugg
03-20-2003, 01:52 PM
"Does anyone think that hacking the Home Media might be an easier solution to video extraction than some of the ones here?"

I'm no expert, but one would think that breaking the encryption of the hmo would be very difficult. You'd have to have two tivo's w/hmo enabled, sniff the communication between the two, capture the keys and integrate the keys into a program that would look like one of the tivo's to the other one. As the keys are suppose to be different from one tivo to the next, this would work on those specific tivo's only.
...and thatís only a guess....
(talk about a pita!:))

"See, those of you that have jumped into this, probably see it as easy. For me, anything that requires me to physically take the drive out of my Tivo, and boot from some floppy doesn't sound easy to me."

Bless your heart, if pulling the drive outta your tivo gives you the willies, maybe you should look at a standalone dvd/harddrive recorder/pc capture or some other method that is more friendly. I can understand, though. You would not want to do a tuneup on your car if you didnít know what a sparkplug was, eh?

I don't want to sound like an old fart or anything, but compared with what you had to go through to get a vid off a tivo one year ago, doing it today is a walk through the park!
(...anyone remember ExtractStream?;))

But to understand the sentence "mfs_ftp & a good ftp client gives you drag & drop extract / insert. doesn't get any easier than that" as "blah blah blah...drag & drop yadda yadda something ..easier than that" makes me think you need to find some other way.

Do you have a series 1 tivo? Can you get a bash prompt? Do you have a turbonet installed? If you do, your already more than half way home!!

If you decide that the benefits outweigh the problems, don't loose hope! Just ask questions!

And if you still want someone to do it for you, find a local linux user group, show them this forum and your tivo, buy 'em a case of imported beer and keep your fingers crossed!

Good Luck!!!

AlphaWolf
03-20-2003, 04:02 PM
We've already gotten all of these HMO features to work on S1 units. These hacks will probably work for S2 units as well.

misato
03-22-2003, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by Atrael
Forgive me as a newbie, if this point has been raised. But has anyone tried hacking the software that comes with the Home Media option for Tivo? I would think that it would be easier to change a program that's already configured to send data to the Tivo, than to take drives out, add files, and all the other semi-confusing stuff that is described on this site. Just wondering.

As one who waited a long time myself, I understand where you're coming from, but... First Surgeon, then Kraven did us all a huge service by packaging up all the accumulated hacks into very easy-to-use packages. Before their efforts, the tivo hacks themselves had to be your hobby. After them you could perform the hacks pretty easily and get on with the hobby of playing with your newly enhanced toy.

The very short form:

Build or buy a serial cable.

Burn an ISO of 25Xtreme.

Configure a PC to boot from that CD, with the tivo's HD plugged in. Run 25Xtreme.

Put it back in the tivo and let it flip flop around a bit, rebooting, building its databases, etc.

You're home free, with all teh standard hacks installed.

If you add an ethernet card from 9th tee when you're putting the HD back in, you can also then experiment to find which extraction tool suits you best.

It really sounds more intimidating than it is, if you could see it done once in person. Or alternatively, get your friendly neighborhood geek to help you. :)