PDA

View Full Version : 1/2 hour Seinfelds @ 1GB??

DeTer
03-14-2003, 12:46 PM
Is anyone else seeing this. I only ftp into my tivo every few days to see what i want to d/l. Today I went to d/l a Seinfeld episode and for some strange reason it was over 1GB, 4 FSIDs.
Then I noticed that I had atleast another 3 or 4 episodes on the TiVo that were the same. I thought maybe there was more than 1 episode under the same title....but it is just one. Anyone else seeing this???

DeTer

ronnythunder
03-14-2003, 01:01 PM
are you getting seinfeld off of your local channels? at least in my area, since the spot beams came in, they've got the locals bitrates set pretty high. most of my lenos are 1.5gb or larger, although that's an hour long show.

extract it and give it a look! :)

ronny

DeTer
03-14-2003, 01:06 PM
ronny,

Yes that is off of the same Fox feed that i was recording all the other episodes off of. Most of them were between 450MB and 700MB. I am using a Dtivo and I just watched the episode after i edited out the comericals. It is now 750MB and looks fine. I had alwaays thought the rule of thumb was 1GB / hr. Guess the thumb just got bigger.

thx
DeTer

Originally posted by ronnythunder
are you getting seinfeld off of your local channels? at least in my area, since the spot beams came in, they've got the locals bitrates set pretty high. most of my lenos are 1.5gb or larger, although that's an hour long show.

extract it and give it a look! :)

ronny

captain_video
03-14-2003, 02:20 PM
File sizes can vary widely for episodes of the same show. I've seen the same episode of Seinfeld vary from as little as 450MB up to over 850MB but I've never seen one exceed 1GB (and I've got all 180 episodes on DVD). It all depends on the amount of compression used by DTV for any given feed. I can get 3 or 4 individual feeds of the same Seinfeld episode from various channels on the same day and no two of them will be the same size (or even within 50-75MB of each other).

DeTer
03-15-2003, 02:13 PM
Captain,

I just went back into my TiVo and checked. It started with the episode of "The Implant" on March 4th and all of Fox East Ch288 broadcast since have been 1GB+ to a 1/2hr show. I am also getting them off of TBS and they have remained at the regular 450 - 600MB per episode. Not sure why the change but it certainly means no more 11 - 12 episodes to a DvD.
Check it out!

thx
DeTer

Originally posted by captain_video
File sizes can vary widely for episodes of the same show. I've seen the same episode of Seinfeld vary from as little as 450MB up to over 850MB but I've never seen one exceed 1GB (and I've got all 180 episodes on DVD). It all depends on the amount of compression used by DTV for any given feed. I can get 3 or 4 individual feeds of the same Seinfeld episode from various channels on the same day and no two of them will be the same size (or even within 50-75MB of each other).