PDA

View Full Version : can I record from the tivo to a standalone dvd burner?

hoopfan
03-15-2003, 03:46 PM
i'm wondering, why couldn't i simply run my TiVo thru a home entertainment-type DVD burner (non PC) and burn directly off the RG6 cable? not very creative or techno, but in my world, simpler is better.
:confused:

BubbleLamp
03-15-2003, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by hoopfan
i'm wondering, why couldn't i simply run my TiVo thru a home entertainment-type DVD burner (non PC) and burn directly off the RG6 cable? not very creative or techno, but in my world, simpler is better.
:confused:

It would be analog, and you'd probably lose anything resembling more than stereo. Hardly what a digital medium like DVD was made for. It'd be like saving a copy from VHS tape to a DVD, a perfect copy of a crummy source. (Ok, it won't be that bad, but it will go thu 2 D/A A/D conversions along the way.)

captain_video
03-15-2003, 08:55 PM
You wouldn't even have stereo audio via the coax output. As BL stated, the signal would go through extra processing that would definitely degrade the output signal. If are referring to a standalone DVD burner such as the Panasonic models, they have stereo audio and S-video inputs so you should be able to record directly off the feed from a DTV receiver. You'd get stereo audio but no Dolby Digital. There are the same processing steps involved (i.e. D/A and A/D) as if you recorded from a DTivo output so the final image should be similar in quality but still some slight loss when compared to a DTivo extracted video burned directly to DVD on a PC.

hoopfan
03-15-2003, 09:44 PM
The RG6 reference was a generality. I would most definitely go for composite cables. In weighing the advantages and disadvantages of the degradation of signal (D->A) vs. the simplicity of the set up and usage of the various options involving my main PC (plus the time invested in the setup/troubleshooting and the chances of screwing up either my TiVo or my PC or both, etc), I'll opt for, and live with, what little signal loss there may be. Just so long as it's easier and higher quality than VHS, I'll be happy. I plan to archive memorable sporting events, not really so much CIN-E-MA, so ultra-high quality audio isn't a factor. That said, it sounds like archiving to DVD from DTiVo is a simple matter.

Thanks much guys!! Really appreciate the feedback!!
:)